Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Maths 2009(Paper 1): How was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

was nice enough alright - all I can say is, fcuking simultanious logs!

I managed to get 2c out fully, if its right or not is another question

From what I can recall, my answer to c (i) was r = (q²-4q²n²p³) / 2n²p² or along those lines. Tbh, my brain is half-fried lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Elli-May

All you had to do was to show that the root is between 2 and 2.5 . Exactly the same as part(i) you just use 2.5 instead of 3.

I did that!
    I was all confused coz I thought you had to use the newton raphson method

Fair paper all in all I think

How did you guys show that the tangents couldn't be perpendicular

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I used the minus b formula and let one root equal n times the other root and tried to solve.
    I tried that too,but it just ended up in a big mess,sum and product simultaneous equations didn't give me much joy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Did really good. It was tricky but I made it. Definitely got an A.

2(c) was a stupid question. Ended up with something ridiculous. I figured out how to do (ii) but I wasn't bothered since it was the seventh question I was doing. I think you get r, put n and p in. Then you say sqrt(q^2 - 4r) > 0. Sub in r and you can then get the range of values for q. I didn't get a nice quadratic though so I moved on.

4(c) was also really tricky. It was a nice question though.

5(c) was very awkward. Took me so long to figure out how to change the base9. I ended up messing with logs for a good while until I got it.

7(c) was badly phrased. They added way too much information to make it seem cool and trendy like all the cool kids use Newton-Raphson today. Turns out it was much easier than it appeared to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Why should 7C be easier marked?

The question was basically spelled out for you.

• Advertisement

Elli-May wrote: »
    I did that!

Differentiate the equation. You get something like -1/(x-1)^2.
    This means that the slope will always be negative so if you multiply them, they'll never equal -1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Fringe wrote: »
    5(c) was very awkward. Took me so long to figure out how to change the base9. I ended up messing with logs for a good while until I got it.

How'd ya manage that? What was your answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

For 2cii I got q<0, q>0. Have a feeling that'll be wrong.

Also I decided during the paper that 25+1=24 and only realised when I was in the car home. :mad:
    Also I didn't read a question properly and didn't draw a graph, but got the rest right.
    Looked over volume of a cone last night but couldn't remember it.

All in all I got 75-80%, no chance of the A1 I pretty much needed now.

Why should 7C be easier marked?

The question was basically spelled out for you.

They asked you that Anne's root is less than 2.5 but it was 2.66, which in turn was greater than Barry's. I know I'd my method right.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

I did that!

i think ya had not sure?
    i thin we had to get the second approx for barry which i didnt fekin do:( otherwise think it went well!:D hope fully between 80 and 90 % all goin well! didnt get 2 c though! as someone mentioned i used the -b formula on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I did that!

I diff'd the formula and got somthing over (x-3)^2

Then i said since a square will be positive, its not possible to get a negative slope, thus its not possible to have m1.m2=-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

timmywex wrote: »
    I diff'd the formula and got somthing over (x-3)^2

Then i said since a square will be positive, its not possible to get a negative slope, thus its not possible to have m1.m2=-1

I just said dy/dx times dy/dx = whatever it was and it ended up that it couldn't be a negative number.

How'd ya manage that? What was your answer?

I did something weird by reasoning that log9 is 1/2log3. I did it by playing with log10 and log100 and after experimenting, found out.

I only realised now though that an easier way is just to use change of base to get log3 x/log3 9 which is 1/2 log3 x.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

I've approximated that I got in the region of 90%, I can't see how I'd get less than 85% - since I had time to go over all my answers. Anyhoo here's a breakdown of how it was per question.

1 = Got it all except C, which I did via the right method just must have made a slip (so should get most of the marks).

2= All except C (ii), clearly others had problems with this too.

3= All of this right I think, I wasn't sure about C (ii) but my friend and I both did it the same way, using the equation for sin3a in the prior question.

6= All correct, except for perhaps a small slip - unsure.

7= Everything up to C (i) was fine, then (ii) and (iii) I attempted.

8= Everything right, was a lovely integration question. So happy the volume of a cone came up instead of an area question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I tried that too,but it just ended up in a big mess,sum and product simultaneous equations didn't give me much joy either.

Ya its really annoying when you know you have the correct methods but you end up with a big jungle of letters and your like: Wha?

They asked you that Anne's root is less than 2.5 but it was 2.66, which in turn was greater than Barry's. I know I'd my method right.

There you had to sub in 2.5 into f(x) and prove that the roots crossed before 2.5

What you did there was for part iii

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sheehy898

Wasn't too bad, I didn't get an A or anything but maybe a B, at worst a C.I didn't like 4c or 2c:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

1a) cross multiplyd got 6x = 9y whatever that ment
    1c) divided in in disaster

2b) complete guess
    2c) complete guess

3c) the bastards and their de moivre

6) ok
    7c) got anne = 2.6667 anthough it wax supposed to b less than 2.5

8) attempted disaster

26 % out the entire maths according to me

Hang on..... Maybe I misread 7c(ii)...

Were they looking for you to show that f(2)< 2.5 whilst f(3)>2.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Fringe wrote: »
    Did really good. cool and trendy like all the cool kids use Newton-Raphson today.
    Do they not?

• Advertisement

Oh lerd..... Well at least I got 15/20 for that question so....

I'd say most students had the same prob as me so they might give attempt marks just for the craic. Let's hope I made few enough slips to ensure >B1

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

i found it fine, but i didnt get 7c, but everything else worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

20 marks for a Cone!! Gift!! :D

I'm really pleased with it! I know I got one of those little diagrams in Q2 B wrong (I said 'irrational roots' instead of 'complex roots' :mad:), but other than that, simple stuff I think!

The other one that tripped me up most was 3B, A^17, but my answers were the same as the answers some other guys got, so maybe we're all right? Or all wrong... :p

My teacher was looking through the paper almost laughing at how easy some of the questions were :p

If paper two is anything like that, I think I'll be in A territory :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I was fairly happy. I would've preferred the 2008 or 2007 paper 1 but it was grand. They don't normally give algebra questions that are that hard but what can ya do...

Question 2(c) was dire! I got nq^2/p(n^2+2n+1) ...probably wrong. That's the worst part (c) i've seen in algebra in a long time!

Loved all 3 calculus questions...integration was shockingly easy! 7(c) was poorly phrased but not particularly challenging really.

I got really lucky in complex numbers. I did part (c) (i) literally just before I went to bed last night! The same question came up a few years ago... Didn't know they could put an integral in a complex number question tho!!

Overall, fairly happy... Kinda need an A in maths for points so fingers crossed! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

2c said set of values as opposed to range.....does that mean if it was just two values it's ok? got q=+/-6 root of r over5....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

With Regards to 7 c ii)
    It asked to show that Anne's starting approximation is less than 2.5.

Given that her starting approximation was 2, 2 is less than 2.5

Then iii) asks you to show the X2 of Barrys is closer to the root than Annes X2

So it was a trick question, was it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

For 7c) ii) I subbed Anne's approximation and Barry's approximation into f(x) and as Anne's was closer to 0 than Barry's I said it was more accurate. And then same method for part iii). Not sure if this is right, everyone else seems to have done different things!

This is because the f(root) = 0.

All in all, very fair paper. A bit more practical than usual but that was good. Not sure how I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Question 1: grand...b ii) wasn't completely sure on

Question 2: was alright except for the infamous part c ii). As far as I know no one in my class got it.

Questions 5: Full marks defo. Part b was a pain having to muliply out (k+1)^5

Question 6: was alright, forgot to get around to cii). That part was probably worth 5 or so marks anyway

Question 7: Went well, part c was horrendously phrased.

Question 8: ok, wasn't sure on part c, still attempted it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Qs 2(c) and 3 were quite a bit harder than I had expected . . . . Qs 6 and 8 were nice enough . . . but I triped up on 7(c) . . . either because it was incredibly easy or more likely it was badly phrased . . .

• Advertisement

Mongey wrote: »
    With Regards to 7 c ii)
    It asked to show that Anne's starting approximation is less than 2.5.

Given that her starting approximation was 2, 2 is less than 2.5

Then iii) asks you to show the X2 of Barrys is closer to the root than Annes X2

So it was a trick question, was it not?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60551635&postcount=47
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement