Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Maths 2009(Paper 1): How was it for you?

Options
  • 05-06-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

:D

Good then I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Orangetictac is living in the past :p

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Ya...the Algebra, Calculus, Complex numbers, Induction/Binomial and S+S were fine.

No i didnt do the paper:o but I am interested in hearing your opinions??

Whats this, orangetictac with 2 posts in 1 day???!!!

Seriously though, the paper should be here once its uploaded.

Ya...the Algebra, Calculus, Complex numbers, Induction/Binomial and S+S were fine.

No i didnt do the paper:o but I am interested in hearing your opinions??

???????? Bloody well confused. Ah well.... I'm off to vote.

• Advertisement

Colm Burke ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

No! Kathy Sinnott ftw;) haha.

STAY ON TOPIC :pac:

Thats back seat modding right there, Ive a right to report you :p

So ANYONE any feedback? I dont know when the papers online!

turgon wrote: »
    Thats back seat modding right there, Ive a right to report you :p

So ANYONE any feedback? I dont know when the papers online!

Give it about half an hour. They're probably taking their time so that paper 2 doesn't get uploaded instead. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

Paper was nice, a few odd things in it though. 1 (c) worked out weird. Q 7 (c) (ii) seems to have been a trick question or a typo, it asks you to show that 2< 2.5 basically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

It wasn't to bad, although i wuda prefered last years paper 1. All in all i lost about 2 c questions and a b or so :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Failed. Just epically failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Just back in now, did all the questions,

thought in general it was grand. Few tricky parts.

Question 1 and 2, the very end of them was tricky to get as required.

Made a slip on c part 1 in question 3,

Question 4 part c was tricky enough. Confusingly phrased

Question 5 part c had a complex change of base, i got it but i imagine alot didnt even notice it!.

Question 6 was grand in general

Question 7 was slightly confusing in part c i would think

Question 8 was grand.

Hopefully got an A1 in the paper overall!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Mongey wrote: »
    Q 7 (c) (ii) seems to have been a trick question or a typo, it asks you to show that 2< 2.5 basically.
    All you had to do was to show that the root is between 2 and 2.5 . Exactly the same as part(i) you just use 2.5 instead of 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I thought it was brilliant! Delighted with it. Question 3 part b was the only bit that was kinda hard. Plenty of time to do everything.

For the newton raphson bit, I got 2.667 for Annes, but it says show it is less than 2.5. I only thought afterwards that maybe you had to get a 3rd approximation?? Either way it was slightly confusing. Everything else was perfect. Everything worked out grand and was straightforward!

Loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I'm 100% certain that there was a mistake made in 7c. 100%. Hopefully we'll get 20/20 for that.

2c was tricky.

Know I made too many slips, but such is life.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Crocodilius

Just finished it there, did 1,2,3,6,7,8

Q1 was nice enough, but i'd like to see answers for b(ii) and c.

Q2 C(ii) was awkward and I din't get an answer for it. anyone recall what it worked out as?

Q3 - I didn't know they could ask integration in the complex numbers question???

Q6 - Our class skipped Rates of Change - hadn't a clue. I'd say lotd of people were expectin Sin x or Cos x for first principles instead of root x.

Q7 - C was awkward. (i) and (ii) very confusing and easily misunderstood. (iii) was nice because you didn't have to get (i) and (ii) out to do it.

Q8 - B(ii) caused a slip-up for me. didn't know e^ln8 = 8, i'd say lots fell down there.

Can anyone remember the answers they got? i wanna cross reference ot get an idea of how i did.

-Edit-
    Why are you 100% certain that there was a mistake? It didn't seem right either, and if they were asking you to do the same in part (i) as part (ii) then i find that very odd - they don't like testing the same skill twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

it was ok overall...a few thicky bits there alrite...

not much a fan of Q6,Q7 partCs...like Q7 partC was :eek:

i made some stupid error is Q3 ..grr...and i hated the Q1 :o

but yea...its alrite, i didn't do fab not bad ither...

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

2c was tricky.
    did anyone get 2c out?

I'm 100% certain that there was a mistake made in 7c. 100%. Hopefully we'll get 20/20 for that.

2c was tricky.

Know I made too many slips, but such is life.......

lol...i was thinking of that in the exam too..

but meh i think i went wrong ..altho i checked in Ntimes..still got the same answer..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

did anyone get 2c out?

I tried my best anyway =]

paper was alright , couple of odd questions tho... dont feel i did brilliant in it but sure moving on.. english tomorrow =[[[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Not great. Not terrible.

Need to do much better in paper 2 though.

did anyone get 2c out?

i think i got my answer in terms of alphas.. =O

i got 2 values but a set of values

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Just thinking about 7 c again now,

Itll probably be marked

So if you got the first one, and attempted parts 2 and 3 your on the way already!

Anyway, whatever it is, ill worry about it in august!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I tried to get as much as the paper done as I could but I think I pretty much ****ed myself over with my indecision.

Q1 was grand.

Q2 was grand for the most part, I was spending too long trying to weasle it out in c(ii) so I dropped it.

Q3 was a good question.

Q4, only did part a and b(i) before I decided it was going to take to much of my time. I attempted it near last.

Q5 (a) and (b) were alright. I forgot everything I knew about changing bases in logs so I couldn't do anything with c. :(

Q6 Great Question

Q7 was grand except (c). I completely neglected that section which is a complete shame because it looked like a simple question.

Q8 Grand except (c). Mind fart, kept using y^2 = l^2-x^2 for about several pages. Then I realised I was supposed to use y=mx when it was too late.

I really fecked up on the c parts. Don't think there's even a chance of getting an A1 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Seeing as the SEC are yet to post the paper on their interwebz site fosho, anyone up for scanning up a few pages of it?

Just for funsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Heartbroken.

Question 3c. Like wtf? :eek:

There was no typo in Question 7c. It was 100% perfect. A similar q was up in 2003 afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

I thought it was alright,there were a good few tricky bits.Messed up on Q3c,dam my lack of knowledge De Moivre's.I think everyone found the Newton Raphson bit strange.Overall I say I did ok,not great but not bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

~Candy~ wrote: »
    i think i got my answer in terms of alphas.. =O

i got 2 values but a set of values

Yeah I'm pretty sure I could've figured out 2c in terms of alphas but they said 'values', not in terms of alphas.... I think the problem with that question was the wording.

The maths genius' in my year (and trust me, they're genius'!) had the same problems in 2c and 7c. If the A1 standard students made these mistakes (or were put off by these questions for whatever reason), I suppose there marking scheme is going to HAVE to reflect this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

did anyone get 2c out?

I used the minus b formula and let one root equal n times the other root and tried to solve. Got down a good bit but I couldn't finish it outright. I'd say I got most of the attempt marks:o

Advertisement