Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Deer Society "member" convicted of dumping deer carcasses.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

I'd imagine they might loose more as a result of leaving it in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭crowsnightmare

thedragon wrote: »
    I see Mr Wood has his usual column in this months Shooters digest. I intentionally took a look in the newsagents to see was he still writing in it,when I saw that he was, I immediately put it back on the shelf and said to myself, thats it, never going to buy that magazine again. It wasnt a bad read from time to time but if thats what they rely on to fill the pages its sad day for anyone who gets it.

& again in this months mag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

TBH a few letters to the editor might be in order rather than here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I emailed the editor a few weeks ago and received no response.

I also know from people around this area how Mr Wood behaves towards legal lampers and it's not the nicest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Its the only country in the world that Im aware of that would tolerate this type of activity and still keep these guys in high regard. Theyd never hold a firearms permit again in any other country let alone write articles in a national shooting magazine. Who ever said crime dosent pay,bull****,of course it dose,especially in this corrupt little hole of a country one can do whatever he pleases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Its the only country in the world that Im aware of that would tolerate this type of activity and still keep these guys in high regard. Theyd never hold a firearms permit again in any other country let alone write articles in a national shooting magazine. Who ever said crime dosent pay,bull****,of course it dose,especially in this corrupt little hole of a country one can do whatever he pleases.

To be honest, I reckon that applies to most people in this country.....

Let's start with politicians..............

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wouldn't it be a better effort for anyone to ;
    Apart writing to the ISD complaining about this.
    To also get onto the IDS,withdraw any membership,support and subscriptions and state that the IDS will have no remit or recognition from deer hunters to decide anything or enforce anything on the HCAP test,until there is a proper internal enquiry and/or this person is removed from the IDS??

If they want authorithy,there has to be accountability.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be a better effort for anyone to ;
    Apart writing to the ISD complaining about this.
    To also get onto the IDS,withdraw any membership,support and subscriptions and state that the IDS will have no remit or recognition from deer hunters to decide anything or enforce anything on the HCAP test,until there is a proper internal enquiry and/or this person is removed from the IDS??

If they want authorithy,there has to be accountability.

I have to agree with you 100%. It never seems to work like that though.
    These things always seem to find there way under the carpet and forgotten about. Its big scandal this week,next week its something else.
    Its just the way us Irish seem to be. If this was another country could you picture the outcome. For example theres a issue going on at the moment as we all know about an IDS chairman whos under investigation for throwing his authority around on firearms licencing issues. Hes a member of the Gardai and its been alledged that he has been showing a major conflict of interest within his position. We all know what the outcome will be here,ah shur he was only doin his job,nothing at all about his reasoning for revoking licences and all he stood to gain from it. I never could understand the Irish ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

OTOH Got to start somwhere,and if it is pushed back to Coilte that their NGB that is sorting out their lets and shooting rights is not enjoying the trust of its customers,it doesnt look good and then it becomes a matter of public accountability.
    But then you are proably right..no point in rocking the boat,etc.Better to live in shte than haul your ass out of it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 monarch

I have to agree with you 100%. It never seems to work like that though.
    These things always seem to find there way under the carpet and forgotten about. Its big scandal this week,next week its something else.
    Its just the way us Irish seem to be. If this was another country could you picture the outcome. For example theres a issue going on at the moment as we all know about an IDS chairman whos under investigation for throwing his authority around on firearms licencing issues. Hes a member of the Gardai and its been alledged that he has been showing a major conflict of interest within his position. We all know what the outcome will be here,ah shur he was only doin his job,nothing at all about his reasoning for revoking licences and all he stood to gain from it. I never could understand the Irish ways.

i am new to boards.ie and this is my first post.
    i have read each post on the whole thread and its quite clear that mr wood has both friends and foes on this thread.
    but its very simple he did what he did so he should face up to it and do the right thing which is to stand down and get get out of the public eye, prices of over €20,000 and upwards are being charged for trophy deer in our great land,at those prices taking a trip to the game dealer is a waste of diesel.
    so it is plain to see why individuals within certain "groups" want shooting rights tied up, lot of money involved.
    so if people are delayed with paperwork and constantly questioned about shooting rights i am afraid its not just about the good of the "heard" but the good of those involved.
    its time for the whole deer situation to be cleaned up so the ordinary desent hunter can get on with the sport without having to join a group or society where egos have to be stroked,and non members bullied so the hunter can freely enjoy the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

monarch wrote: »
    i am new to boards.ie and this is my first post.
    i have read each post on the whole thread and its quite clear that mr wood has both friends and foes on this thread.
    but its very simple he did what he did so he should face up to it and do the right thing which is to stand down and get get out of the public eye, prices of over €20,000 and upwards are being charged for trophy deer in our great land,at those prices taking a trip to the game dealer is a waste of diesel.
    so it is plain to see why individuals within certain "groups" want shooting rights tied up, lot of money involved.
    so if people are delayed with paperwork and constantly questioned about shooting rights i am afraid its not just about the good of the "heard" but the good of those involved.
    its time for the whole deer situation to be cleaned up so the ordinary desent hunter can get on with the sport without having to join a group or society where egos have to be stroked,and non members bullied so the hunter can freely enjoy the sport.

your point is more about access .

jwshooter wrote: »
    your point is more about access .

my point is that why should mr wood and co tell the general hunting population how to conduct themselves when they can do as they please,personally i have no problem with access but why should a click the"ids" try to tell the rest of us how to shoot ,where to shoot and stick there noses into firearms licenceing and deer hunting permits ,when most of them only have a window box which i am sure if they could they would claim shooting rights on.

monarch wrote: »
    my point is that why should mr wood and co tell the general hunting population how to conduct themselves when they can do as they please,personally i have no problem with access but why should a click the"ids" try to tell the rest of us how to shoot ,where to shoot and stick there noses into firearms licenceing and deer hunting permits ,when most of them only have a window box which i am sure if they could they would claim shooting rights on.

like i said your problem is with woods .
    also with woods controlling so much ground .with out woods there would be little or no reds there in the first place .
    its very interesting that no one has mentioned the very good deer management policy he has going and the out standing trophies that are coming off his ground.

im sure woods has nothing to do with the licensing of firearms in that district.

the man was convected under the litter act,a silly mistake on his behalf,noting else.

i would say no one is tell any one any thing ,there is no been chain ganged into any of the deer groups.

do you think a firearm licence gives the holder the right to shoot what they like where they like.?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 reddeer1

I think jwshooter makes an important point, Mr Woods was convicted of a litter fine. He's done a mistake and will probably pay a fine associated with the offence commited. I think it is a bit of a joke the way some people are commenting on the issue. From what I can see many people are very resentful to Mr. Woods for various reasons. An interesting point made by johngalway, however, if I spotted lamping in the area I was shooting in, I would be very suspicious too, due to the huge amount of illegal deer poaching going on in Ireland. I wouldnt have a problem if another legitimate deer hunter (or fox hunter) investigated if they spotted me in my area. It shows that they are commited in fighting illegal poaching. If you have nothing to hide, whats the problem in being checked? From what I have heard, the man has done an aweful lot for deer management in the sorrounding area he manages. And fair play to him for keeping an eye out for illegal activity, which could be detrimental to his/and others management ideas. There are far to many chancers out there who think they can just go into whatever area they want and shoot. Not even mentioning the dangers posed to safety, its simply not on and its becoming a huge issue in this country. I certainly do not condone what Mr Woods has done, but the majority of posts related to the topic simply look to me as clear spite towards the man. If we are all honest, this could have happened to most of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

reddeer1 wrote: »
    .....If we are all honest, this could have happened to most of us

Mr Woods, they have software to find duplicate accounts here :p

BTW I wouldn't be dumping venison as I know loads of lads who would quite willingly take it to eat :mad:

Mr Woods, they have software to find duplicate accounts here :p

BTW I wouldn't be dumping venison as I know loads of lads who would quite willingly take it to eat :mad:
    L Mc G Take note of above!!

Plus 1 on that,no matter how valuable the trophy if you dont intent to make use of the animal then you have no right to pull

fair play to him for keeping an eye out for illegal activity,
    And you dont see the hypocracy here????!!!!

If we are all honest, this could have happened to most of us
    I admire your honesty however as far as i'm concerned your speaking for yourself
    I'm SURE i for 1 wont be preach on good Deer management/hunting practice with one hand and making a mockery of it with the other..

kakashka wrote: »
    L Mc G Take note of above!!

Plus 1 on that,no matter how valuable the trophy if you dont intent to make use of the animal then you have no right to pull

Thats what real appreciative Deerhunters do,shoot it when you need it. Ive had more offers over the years from people looking for venison,I could in most cases go and have takers for 5 or more deer on a wkend but when I go out on a days stalking I shoot 1 deer and either use it myself or give it to the next person on my list. Seldom have I had a weekend where I wouldnt get an opportunity for a kill and very often several kills if I was like some. I shoot 1 thats it. When you start stalking deer for money your interest in stalking is gone,your no longer a stalker. These are royal majestic fascinating creatures,try and treat them that way.

When you start stalking deer for money your interest in stalking is gone,your no longer a stalker. These are royal majestic fascinating creatures,try and treat them that way.

nice to see someone who can see through the smoke screen that these high ranking members of the " ids" put up.
    as i said in an earlier post its all about the money ,so making life difficult for other people is in there interest.
    by the way a certain well know "ids" member and committe member is telling landowners in an area of the west that he has been appointed by the the "department" to cull the deer this season and it is only him alone that can carry out this cull. (greed is a bad thing)

• Advertisement

Lets hope for his sake he dosent step into anywhere he dosent belong. A lot of guys down that direction would take untold measures against that sort of activity. Could find himself hitching home very easily on that one.

An interesting point made by johngalway, however, if I spotted lamping in the area I was shooting in, I would be very suspicious too, due to the huge amount of illegal deer poaching going on in Ireland. I wouldnt have a problem if another legitimate deer hunter (or fox hunter) investigated if they spotted me in my area. It shows that they are commited in fighting illegal poaching. If you have nothing to hide, whats the problem in being checked? From what I have heard, the man has done an aweful lot for deer management in the sorrounding area he manages. And fair play to him for keeping an eye out for illegal activity

You wouldn't have a problem, yeah right.

He's no legal authority to investigate or check anyone. That's the job of the Gardai or the Rangers AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

johngalway wrote: »
    You wouldn't have a problem, yeah right.

He's no legal authority to investigate or check anyone. That's the job of the Gardai or the Rangers AFAIK.

I agree, I would take exception to someone trying to investigate me whilst hunting unless it was a member of the garda or the rangers, and even then I would ask to see their identification before id answer a single question. This happened to me before whilst duckshooting, on returning to my car i found 2 lads snooping about and looking inside my car, I quickly challenged them and they introduced themselves as rangers, but no further conversation took place till i had checked their credentials;) but some would be ranger!!!!:mad::mad::mad:-no chance"!

I keep reading here about all the great work Wood an Co have done over the years,the one question I must ask here is,who exactly are they doing these great deeds for. It certainly isnt for you or me unless you have about 12K to hand him in cash,the same with X,if he dosent see money you dont get your licence renewed. And we all know who X is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

thedragon, there is a post by the owner of this site about allegations against named individuals. Please don't post similar allegations again

I keep reading here about all the great work Wood an Co have done over the years,the one question I must ask here is,who exactly are they doing these great deeds for. It certainly isnt for you or me unless you have about 12K to hand him in cash,the same with X,if he dosent see money you dont get your licence renewed. And we all know who X is.

live beside these and these guys and find out the ****e that they are up to,and the ****e ordinary hunters have to put up with.
    good work and good herd managment, more like good wallet managment.
    its time it stoped but people in power put fear into ordinary people with threats of gun licences and hunting permits not being renewed so it maybe up to the "ids " and npws to sort this out if they have the backbone .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If the IDS are anyway serious about appearing competent and fair then they must move soon and decisively on this issue, any vaccillation on their part will appear to all as *one rule for us and another for you*.
    I understand the chairman would not take questions at the last meeting and quoted it as being *sub-judice*, this will not last forever and there must be some kind of statement about this.
    Otherwise the whole episode will just fester for as long as it is not cleared up.

I have no affiliation with the IDS or indeed any deer group.

They're moving as fast as the FAI would :rolleyes:

its very obvious that your a guy ,that is passionate about his shooting ,you probably rely on the generosity of the local farmer to shoot your deer .like 90 percent of the deer stalkers in ireland shoot no more than 20 deer a year.

woods has a very large area as reds require ,in this area there would be one or two very large mature stags that have to be culled each year, they do make a good few bucks for the estate where he works.
    thats the fact of the matter, this money goes to look after the herd .

deer live in this country 12 months a year not just for the 6 months of the season .a fact most forgotten.

like i have said before the problem hear is the fact is not a free for all in his neck of the woods ,pardon the pun .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I understand the chairman would not take questions at the last meeting and quoted it as being *sub-judice*.

That was actually at the WDAI AGM. Mr. Wood is pictured on their site in the events section at Shane's Castle - they've sadly not distanced themselves from him either :(.

Advertisement