Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Deer Society "member" convicted of dumping deer carcasses.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

if you go to the IDS web site and link on to ICI international .

you can read about the sustainable manage of wild life .

in every country in the world trophy hunting and the management it brings have helped the local economy wild life in general and the animals in question .

all we have to do is look at our nearest neighbors,some of the best trophys in europe are taken every year there .
    some mighty fallow are take in the new forest every ,the chances of a fallow reaching 12 years in ireland is sparse to say the least.

one of the biggest muntjac was taken there this year ,also a wild boar of a very high standard.

the problem with you guys hear is you cant see the woods for the trees ,you want it your own way kill what ya like where you like .
    the same that was going on in the west and other areas for years.

i am very proud to be involved in deer management .i am privileged to work with the men that i do .
    i have learned so much from them over the years ,some thing that would not go a stray on some.

but ignorance is bliss is it not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

if he is guilty of abusing his position then i agree he should recieve disciplinary action and if that means sackin him then fine, if it's a formal warning then thats fine too, those resposible for enforcing the law are also entitled to have in applied to them like everybody else, due process and fairness!!

Of course they are,but do you then accept that they must be if tried by their peers internally the punishment must fit the crime.So if he is sacked,are you going to be here saying.."Ah suhure the poor man...that was way too hard on him."

why aren't ye asking what the deer society are doing about their chairman that got a 6 month jail sentance for dumping headless deer in a stream. they have been found guilty

I think most people here want him gone as well..
    And quite frankly we want all the rotten apples removed wether they are NPWS ,deer society,or whatever.And it seen to be done.

HOWEVER,we live in Ireland where lets face it corruption,graft and "formal warnings" and move the trouble maker to somone elses patch is has been and will be with us since time immemorial in both state,semi state,religious and private,and frankly we the citzenery are well cynical and fed up of this organisational posturing of being seen to be "doing somthing" to sort out the problem.And personally I think that is what is being expressed here.
    To put it very pithly..If he has done no wrong he has nothing to fear ..has he???

but ye'd rather have yer own trial here wher ye can decide whos guilty, defence will not be accepted and rumor and half truth are admissable as evidence, the only outcome can be a man losing his job and his name being blackened.

Talking here about this has as much revelance as a moths flatulence in a hurricane!!!If this was the case every Irish politican,or person in power would have been hung of all the lamp posts in Ireland by now,if we were working on public opinion on wether they were guilty or innocent or good or bad.:rolleyes:

JW,
    No one who is genuine about shooting here would disagree with what you said in your post.
    What we do have a problem with here is those in authorithy,be it public or private bodies,going out and abusing that authorithy to their own benefit,or their selected clique.Or saying "do as I say,not do as I do".
    It's the old Wild west case.A town hired in a criminal gunfighter to clean up the townand made him sheriff.He did clean up the town,and then made him a sheriff for life.Before long the town was full of criminals again,because the sheriff was in charge and they were his cronies.
    What might look good on the outside,becomes even worse later on.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

jwshooter wrote: »
    if you go to the IDS web site and link on to ICI international .

you can read about the sustainable manage of wild life .

in every country in the world trophy hunting and the management it brings have helped the local economy wild life in general and the animals in question .

all we have to do is look at our nearest neighbors,some of the best trophys in europe are taken every year there .
    some mighty fallow are take in the new forest every ,the chances of a fallow reaching 12 years in ireland is sparse to say the least.

one of the biggest muntjac was taken there this year ,also a wild boar of a very high standard.

the problem with you guys hear is you cant see the woods for the trees ,you want it your own way kill what ya like where you like .
    the same that was going on in the west and other areas for years.

i am very proud to be involved in deer management .i am privileged to work with the men that i do .
    i have learned so much from them over the years ,some thing that would not go a stray on some.

but ignorance is bliss is it not.

How much do ya charge for say a party of five,3 days all in and do supply accomodation and evening entertainment also.Have you a webpage.

45 will you wait till after the case to hang him ,its good job its not the wild west with ya or you would have him linched

thedragon wrote: »
    How much do ya charge for say a party of five,3 days all in and do supply accomodation and evening entertainment also.Have you a webpage.

sorry booked out till 0,11

• Advertisement

JW..Would you ever go away and read my post again!!! I didnt say anything about hanging him.READ WHATS in the post NOT what you would like it to say!:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

as far as your concerned he is guilty ,just hold fire till the report comes out.

Great that you are a mind reader,amongst other things!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Not everyone cares about Trophies, it's not the only measure of success.
    Anyone know why the IDS only represent 26 counties but there anti poaching campaign is sponsored and supported by the British deer soceity, the IDS seem a funny bunch to me.
    Bryan

BryanL wrote: »
    Not everyone cares about Trophies, it's not the only measure of success.
    Anyone know why the IDS only represent 26 counties but there anti poaching campaign is sponsored and supported by the British deer soceity, the IDS seem a funny bunch to me.
    Bryan

Ive been Deer hunting for almost 25 years and I wouldnt have anything to do with them.They move into areas where people like myself have been shooting for years and start organising meetings with farmers and organising how things should be done in future,all that sort of s***e,never giving any bit of respect for the guy that may have been shooting there all his life.There never happy with a bit of shooting,they have to try and round tie up as much property as they can,then visit each spot once a year. Before ya know it deer populations are rampant and nobody can do anything about it cos these IDS **** will create a big fuss if anyone else intervenes.There full of JW types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sparks, you missed the point there.I was commenting on Deerhunter2's comment about how the press shouldnt comment on anything before the courts or under investigation.The idea that all should be kept in secrecy from the public until a guilty or innocent verdict is pronounced is not right,or compareable with the judical process in a democracy.
    But neither is the idea that editorial comment in a national newspaper on a sub judice case should be allowed - remember what happened when someone let Harney comment on CJ Haughey's case while it was sub judice?
    There's a line between reporting and editorialising. One's factual, one isn't; and while the former is an important mechanism for a functioning society, the latter is poisonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

well naturally ye hate npws and all that work for them, ye look on them as if they were the landlords of old, they might tell ye what to do or stop ye from yer form of huntin, be that drive by or lampin or huntin without permission, ye love foreign hunters as long as they don't step foot in ireland and try shoot yer game, yes jealous!!! i've seen it all too many times too:rolleyes:

fair enough they may not be able to sack him if he's guilty but they would issue a formal warnin, but i suppose that wouldnt but good enough for the blood thirsty here, they would have all procedure thrown out the window and have him sacked without question or due proces or public floggin, oh sorry ye have done that already:mad:

I have friends in NPWS and know a lot of NPWS staff,several Rangers, who are absolute profesionals and love the NPW and it's these ppl who suffer most from the actions of a few rogues.

Drive by,lamping,poaching...oh please

Jealous of foreign hunters..shoot with several every season(my terrain),nothing ever exchanged except occasional bed for a night

Flogged..i doubt Boards will have much influence TBH

You've seen it all before have you.. i believe thats called tunnel vision

Not sure why i bothered to explain myself to you but there you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's a bit mental to see the absolute vitriol spat at those who'll accept money in return for taking people shooting. Do you reserve the same hatred for those abroad like Artemis in Croatia or any of the multitude of sporting agencies in Europe, the UK and Africa? If not, why not? If someone is forced to pay for exclusive sporting rights on some land, and takes others shooting to recoup that cost, then I don't see any problem with that. The individual is forced to pay for exclusive rights simply because the vast majority don't practise good management. If they did, there wouldn't be a place in the country which wasn't brimming over with quality stags and healthy herds of the right number. That very fact is the reason people are forced to accept money for sport in order to support their own shooting. I don't have a problem with it. I don't have a problem with enlisting sporting agencies to hunt abroad, and would happily do it here too. To all those who display their hatred here, account for yourselves: would you ever enlist the help of an agency to hunt abroad? Do you reserve the same contempt for them as for Irish ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

In my area there is a certain hotel that approached local farmers to get the shooting rights over crops. They bring in tourists to shoot over said crops. The tourists stay in the hotel. The local lads who were shooting over these crops for years were told their services were no longer required unless they agreed to pay more than the hotel owner was :mad:

These tourist shooters do not abide by game seasons or the Wildlife Act their strategy seems to be "if it flies it dies" :mad: :mad:

Therefore in this case I disagree because the local lads have been pushed out.

These "sporting agents" for want of a better description lease shooting rights and sell them on at considerable profit to "tourists" too. The prices they are willing to pay for the sporting rights are usually well beyond what any of the locals can pay.

Therefore in this case I disagree because the local lads have been pushed out.

Get my drift yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Deerhunter2

thedragon wrote: »
    Ive been Deer hunting for almost 25 years and I wouldnt have anything to do with them.They move into areas where people like myself have been shooting for years and start organising meetings with farmers and organising how things should be done in future,all that sort of s***e,never giving any bit of respect for the guy that may have been shooting there all his life.There never happy with a bit of shooting,they have to try and round tie up as much property as they can,then visit each spot once a year. Before ya know it deer populations are rampant and nobody can do anything about it cos these IDS **** will create a big fuss if anyone else intervenes.
    agree 100%, they claim to represent us all, less than 1 in 10 deerhunter are members of the IDS and it's a few at the top that run the clic with the support of wannbe deerhunters.
    kakashka wrote: »
    I have friends in NPWS and know a lot of NPWS staff,several Rangers, who are absolute profesionals and love the NPW and it's these ppl who suffer most from the actions of a few rogues.

i'm sure they will disown those that are proven rogues but i doubt they are happy with the way their collegues are targeted by poachers they have made enemies of. government empolyees are prime targets for smear campaigns and damaging accusations, they can't defend themselves because they are forbidden to speak publicly or to the press, and the civil service press office are there to protect ministers not civil servants. from what i hear if a ranger isn't under investigation and having accusations made against him hes not doing his job.
    Drive by,lamping,poaching...oh please
    to a lot of lads that shoot deer that is deer hunting, and these include high ranking IDS men too.
    Jealous of foreign hunters..shoot with several every season(my terrain),nothing ever exchanged except occasional bed for a night
    how would you feel about a ranger doing the same as you on his own private ground?
    Flogged..i doubt Boards will have much influence TBH
    you'd be surprised how many people read this and how highly rated it is with google, do a search of mark byrne ranger.
    You've seen it all before have you.. i believe thats called tunnel vision
    is this an attempt to provoke or irritate me? of course your right:rolleyes:

It's a bit mental to see the absolute vitriol spat at those who'll accept money in return for taking people shooting. Do you reserve the same hatred for those abroad like Artemis in Croatia or any of the multitude of sporting agencies in Europe, the UK and Africa? If not, why not? If someone is forced to pay for exclusive sporting rights on some land, and takes others shooting to recoup that cost, then I don't see any problem with that. The individual is forced to pay for exclusive rights simply because the vast majority don't practise good management. If they did, there wouldn't be a place in the country which wasn't brimming over with quality stags and healthy herds of the right number. That very fact is the reason people are forced to accept money for sport in order to support their own shooting. I don't have a problem with it. I don't have a problem with enlisting sporting agencies to hunt abroad, and would happily do it here too. To all those who display their hatred here, account for yourselves: would you ever enlist the help of an agency to hunt abroad? Do you reserve the same contempt for them as for Irish ones?

well said, we are a relatively new to sport hunting, we don't have the traditions of the rest of europe thanks to the brits claiming all our game for 800years, the poacher is still engrained as the likeable rougue. when we got rid of the brits people hunted where ever they wanted and what ever they wanted up until the wildlife act in 1976 and the recruitment of rangers soon after. we have a long ways to go to catch up with the rest of the hunting world

And it's only now certain people are realising they can make money from our game species and sod the locals who shoot a bit of game for the table. If this is catching up with the rest of Europe then I reckon we will be the worse for the progress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

I can't see how creating a situation where, any one who wants to hunt in Ireland has to pay, is progress.
    The IDS are all about creating a situation where they control all the rights to hunt deer within and area.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Royalred

I've read with intrest the comments on the deer carcass dumping issue. All the comments were valid if the details of the conviction were true. That conviction is I belive, under appeal. I can say with certainty that there was no offal or headless carcasses dumped. The site was not near a water course. What was dumped for one night was two deer skins and bones from which the meat had been removed. The wardens photos from the site in question will prove this. I am not condoning the dumping even though Mr. Wood rectified it by retrieving the material. In certian EU countries it is illegal to remove the grallough (internal organs) from the field after a deer has been culled. It is considered a biogradable by-product of hunting and one that is used by other birds and animals for sustenance. Mr. Wood is one of the few committed humane wild deer managers who has for years, given his time, knowledge and experience freely to those who wish to manage deer properly. The proof of this is in the quality and health of the red deer herd that now exist in that part of Galway.

Royalred

Royalred wrote: »
    I've read with intrest the comments on the deer carcass dumping issue. All the comments were valid if the details of the conviction were true. That conviction is I belive, under appeal. I can say with certainty that there was no offal or headless carcasses dumped. The site was not near a water course. What was dumped for one night was two deer skins and bones from which the meat had been removed. The wardens photos from the site in question will prove this. I am not condoning the dumping even though Mr. Wood rectified it by retrieving the material. In certian EU countries it is illegal to remove the grallough (internal organs) from the field after a deer has been culled. It is considered a biogradable by-product of hunting and one that is used by other birds and animals for sustenance. Mr. Wood is one of the few committed humane wild deer managers who has for years, given his time, knowledge and experience freely to those who wish to manage deer properly. The proof of this is in the quality and health of the red deer herd that now exist in that part of Galway.

Royalred

welcome to boards paul, ya big liar:D

is this an attempt to provoke or irritate me? of course your right:rolleyes:
    i believe you started the provocation,basically my point was that your assumptions that everyone here is anti Ranger,pro poacher,poacher etc was BULL..

• Advertisement

<quoted libel edited out by moderator>
    Yes welcome aboard

<quoted libel edited out by moderator>

Nice one Deerhunter2,ya bet me to it,I was going to let him go a bit longer and then pull the rug.

I think Paul its time to call it a day,youve dug a big enough hole for yourself already dont keep digging mate take your defeat.You got what was coming to ya.It looks like theres a lot more stories waiting to come out about you too,judging by Deerhunter2s last post.I wouldnt provoke it if I were you.

kakashka wrote: »
    i believe you started the provocation,basically my point was that your assumptions that everyone here is anti Ranger,pro poacher,poacher etc was BULL..
    fair enough then, we're on the same side then, just difference of opinion?;)

Royalred

Come on :) Who ya trying to fool :(

Kramer wrote: »
    6 month suspended prison sentence & €2k fine.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/deer-hunter-fined-for-dumping-carcasses-in-wood-/

Mr. Paul Wood - listed as Chairman of the Connaught branch:
    http://www.designed4style.com/clients/websites/ids/contact.htm

Hypocracy.......................

..........said the man months after dumping headless deer carcasses.

From http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0220/1224241488596.html.

..............still listed on the IDS web site...........should have his deer hunting licence revoked along with his firearm certificate(s) IMO & be expelled from the IDS.
    Then again, this is Ireland.. :rolleyes:.

Disgraceful behaviour from someone in his position claiming to "care" about Irish deer.

Hope you guys are big enough to admit your wrong when the truth come out. By the way I'm NOT Mr.Woods. Met him at Game Fair. Seemed the real deal, very knowledgable and helpful. He does care, just look at the effort he puts in. The best red deer stags are on the ground he manages. No thanks to some poachers. I know, I'm hunting myself for longer than he is.
    Wait this one out, think you all will be sad at how twisted this case has become.

Royalred.

He found two skins and some bones. I suppose saying they were headless is no lie, but what an exaggeration. !!!!!. Lets see the photos of the dumping in question, mr mannion.

Royalred. Not Mr. Woods by the way, but nice try,

No Offal, just meatless bones and two skins. Hope this Mannion Warden fella makes the photos of the area in question available.! Hey come on guys. do all you deer hunters bring the guts home ? WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE SKINS ? Wrap them up in bags and bin them or bury them. Both are illegal. I met this Woods guy at Game Fairs. He was knowledgable and helpful. He must know a thing or two. Just look at the stags in the area he manages. The Hungarian stags are no better and they are a bigger sub species.

Royalred. and I'M not Mr. Woods. I would'nt want to be now

No need, he resigned I'm told. Did'nt want to embarrass them more than he had to with this one sided saga. Sad end to a guy that fought the cornersof hunters very well. Some IDS guy are gutted (pardon the pun) He took them a long way getting the IFA to recognise the beat way to manage deer.
    Royalred

twl0214l.jpg

:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

He took them a long way getting the IFA to recognise the beat way to manage deer.
    You mean the right way to shut everyone who was not part of the IDS out?

Advertisement