Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Deer Society "member" convicted of dumping deer carcasses.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

First off, can everyone please re-read the rules regarding libel and allegations against named people? Two folks here crossed the line in this thread and had their posts deleted. If you "know" someone did something, this isn't the place to make the complaint, you do it formally and in writing to the relevant body, be that the IDS, Coillte, the local Council, or the Gardai. Reporting that such a complaint was made isn't libel; making the complaint here anonymously is. And we're not here to be sued for libel because you didn't want to risk making a formal complaint yourself.
    Royalred wrote: »
    I've read with intrest the comments on the deer carcass dumping issue. All the comments were valid if the details of the conviction were true. That conviction is I belive, under appeal. I can say with certainty that there was no offal or headless carcasses dumped. The site was not near a water course. What was dumped for one night was two deer skins and bones from which the meat had been removed. The wardens photos from the site in question will prove this.
    Okay, hold up there a moment.

1) It's true to say all comments are valid if the conviction is true; but we are required in this country to assume convictions are true until the courts state otherwise. If the conviction is being appealed it remains assumed true until the appeal succeeds. Commenting on the outcome of a case as if it was correct isn't just valid, it's what you're required to do because anything else is running a fine line to contempt of court.

2) You cannot say with certainty anything about the dumping that contradicts the court record unless you not only were a witness to it, but also failed to testify at the case despite having evidence that was of direct relevance to the case. I'm not a solicitor, but if I did something like that, I'd be getting one for fear of a charge of obstructing justice.

3) The photos, according to the reports, were submitted as evidence and nevertheless the case was decided against Mr.Wood. Saying that the judge ruled against someone despite the evidence is tantamount to an accusation of misconduct against someone on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I've read with intrest the comments on the deer carcass dumping issue. All the comments were valid if the details of the conviction were true. That conviction is I belive, under appeal. I can say with certainty that there was no offal or headless carcasses dumped. The site was not near a water course. What was dumped for one night was two deer skins and bones from which the meat had been removed. The wardens photos from the site in question will prove this. I am not condoning the dumping even though Mr. Wood rectified it by retrieving the material. In certian EU countries it is illegal to remove the grallough (internal organs) from the field after a deer has been culled. It is considered a biogradable by-product of hunting and one that is used by other birds and animals for sustenance. Mr. Wood is one of the few committed humane wild deer managers who has for years, given his time, knowledge and experience freely to those who wish to manage deer properly. The proof of this is in the quality and health of the red deer herd that now exist in that part of Galway.

Royalred

Is that you mr woods:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Im finding this thread is becoming almost like a nightly soap I cant wait to rush home to see another episode,every minute I get Im on the PC to see the latest episodes.Im having serious taughts about contacting RTE to tell them I have a great new idea for a nightly not to be missed soap.Im trying to think of a name for it.The man that posts the best name for my new soap gets to star in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I am very interested to see what happens on appeal. It seems to me that all deer hunters need a legal precedent set as to wether leaving grallough in the field is illegal dumping or not. Are we even breaking the law by leaving rabbit guts and breasted pigeon carcasses in the ditch? Mr. Wood, like it or not, could find himself central to setting a very important legal precedent on the subject!

thedragon wrote: »
    Im finding this thread is becoming almost like a nightly soap I cant wait to rush home to see another episode,every minute I get Im on the PC to see the latest episodes.Im having serious taughts about contacting RTE to tell them I have a great new idea for a nightly not to be missed soap.Im trying to think of a name for it.The man that posts the best name for my new soap gets to star in it.

Tell me about it, i keep checkin it by the wifi on my mobile:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I think most people here want him gone as well..

Amazing thread, not in to the deer-hunting myself. Unfortunately some of it stinks of localism and anti deer and hunter control to be honest. You would swear the British lords were telling you what to do! Sorry, lads, but that's what it looks like, a witch hunt and "no outsiders"! That's just reading it from this thread, not from any expertise in the field, so don't take my comments to seriously.

I am sure it will all come out of the wash and I hope the right decisions are made. Good debate and some arguments put forward very well though and the bitchiness is kept to a minimum! I guess you get that when dealing with people with guns!

lightening wrote: »
    I guess you get that when dealing with people with guns!
    You'd imagine, but I think I could testify to the contrary :D

Sparks wrote: »
    You'd imagine, but I think I could testify to the contrary :D

I jest!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

lightening wrote: »
    Amazing thread, not in to the deer-hunting myself. Unfortunately some of it stinks of localism and anti deer and hunter control to be honest. You would swear the British lords were telling you what to do! Sorry, lads, but that's what it looks like, a witch hunt and "no outsiders"! That's just reading it from this thread, not from any expertise in the field, so don't take my comments to seriously.

Not really.We are just trying to clean up some of the muckers and corruption in our own field. :).
    Everyone bitches and moans about corruption,double dealing etc in this land,but when it comes down to head rolling time,suddenly it is."Ah sure he is a great man...He does a great job...keep him on...etc.." Prize example of this was IMHO Charles J Haughey[not our CJ H on Boards.Ie:).].After illegally importing arms,bugging journalists and various other shennanigans.You had always a bunch of eijtts saying shure he is a grand fellah,keep him on etc,etc.

Only when he died we find out what sort of a rotten crook he was.!:mad:
    Why do we always have to glorify the crook here and not the honest law abiding .We need to start cleaning up in this country ,and why not in somthing that affects us???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Im having serious taughts about contacting RTE to tell them I have a great new idea for a nightly not to be missed soap.Im trying to think of a name for it.The man that posts the best name for my new soap gets to star in it.

The Deerhunters? Even more grumpier old men?,:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

I am very interested to see what happens on appeal. It seems to me that all deer hunters need a legal precedent set as to wether leaving grallough in the field is illegal dumping or not. Are we even breaking the law by leaving rabbit guts and breasted pigeon carcasses in the ditch? Mr. Wood, like it or not, could find himself central to setting a very important legal precedent on the subject!

Its one thing leaving a bit of grolloch behind after a successful hit but leaving two full deer in a stream to pollute a whole river is another thing.I dont personally see any great problem with leaving the remains of a hit behind,it feeds foxes and the like.

<Libel edited out>

On the other hand I still wouldnt want to be Mr Wood aka Royalred,I hear talk of Sunday World interest here,also animal rights activists planning a protest outside Screebe House,I havent heard anything on the Readers Digest end of things.I for 1 will never buy it again if he has a story in it next month and Id encourage the same from every other reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Its one thing leaving a bit of grolloch behind after a successful hit but leaving two full deer in a stream to pollute a whole river is another thing.I dont personally see any great problem with leaving the remains of a hit behind,it feeds foxes and the like.

<Libel edited out>

On the other hand I still wouldnt want to be Mr Wood aka Royalred,I hear talk of Sunday World interest here,also animal rights activists planning a protest outside Screebe House,I havent heard anything on the Readers Digest end of things.I for 1 will never buy it again if he has a story in it next month and Id encourage the same from every other reader.

jeny you have it in for the hole of the country ,did you ever try concealing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

It's fairly straight forward,
    He admitted the offence(whoever reported as stated here already most likely did take pics)
    He was convicted of the offence
    He IS guilty..
    No mention of gun licence being revoked???

jwshooter wrote: »
    jeny you have it in for the hole of the country ,did you ever try concealing ?

I have it in for anyone that carries on like that.Im trying to find out who you are now.

fair enough then, we're on the same side then, just difference of opinion?;)
    I'm sure we are on the same side
    If you know the difference between right and wrong,decent humane behaviour and bollixology then i cant see how there could be any difference of opinion either!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭crowsnightmare

I see that Mr Wood represented us at the CIC bash this year, Was this before or after the court conviction ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 neilsbreak

soap title ideas

(Ultimate) Power Rangers
    Dumb and Dumber
    Boards Witchhunt
    Very Hypocritical individuals

Haven't decided yet til we hear the full scéal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Crested

neilsbreak wrote: »
    soap title ideas

(Ultimate) Power Rangers
    Dumb and Dumber
    Boards Witchhunt

Have you an interest neilsbreak??? Funny that you were asking about this last November in your previous posts a few days after the Warden found the carcasses?

soap title ideas

(Ultimate) Power Rangers
    Dumb and Dumber
    Boards Witchhunt

How about we film it from mr woods view and call it 'me against the world' ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Royalred

BryanL wrote: »
    I can't see how creating a situation where, any one who wants to hunt in Ireland has to pay, is progress.
    The IDS are all about creating a situation where they control all the rights to hunt deer within and area.
    Bryan
    I dont like the idea of paying either, especially as I have hunted some places in Ireland for nearly 20 yrs. Unfortunately some Italian Shoot Promoter with a front called the something like 'The Irish Deer Stalking Club' has a local guy offering money to shoot "a few deer" on some of the lands I managed for free. All this guy wants is the big trophies. The only reason the trophies are there is cos of our management. Paying is getting more common Im afraid. Some of the IDS guys are trying the same crack, even trying to take the hunting from other IDS members.(Sligo) Maybe a ban on shooting during the rut should be considered. All this male deer shooting makes proper deer control very difficult. As said by others on this blog, a lot of cowboys are out, stag hunting during the rut. This frightens the does and hinds making them more difficult to manage. Maybe thats why deer numbers are so high in some places. On the other hand a local group of good deer stalkers getting together to control their local area properly is a great idea. What say you ?

Royalred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Deerhunter2

I dont like the idea of paying either, especially as I have hunted some places in Ireland for nearly 20 yrs. Unfortunately some Italian Shoot Promoter with a front called the something like 'The Irish Deer Stalking Club' has a local guy offering money to shoot "a few deer" on some of the lands I managed for free. All this guy wants is the big trophies. The only reason the trophies are there is cos of our management. Paying is getting more common Im afraid. Some of the IDS guys are trying the same crack, even trying to take the hunting from other IDS members.(Sligo) Maybe a ban on shooting during the rut should be considered. All this male deer shooting makes proper deer control very difficult. As said by others on this blog, a lot of cowboys are out, stag hunting during the rut. This frightens the does and hinds making them more difficult to manage. Maybe thats why deer numbers are so high in some places. On the other hand a local group of good deer stalkers getting together to control their local area properly is a great idea. What say you ?

Royalred.

ah jim the garda, is it yourself?:D still supporting that other fella and falling for his lies:rolleyes:

Good man ;)

Lads, any chance you could talk about this without us having to spend an hour a day checking to see if someone's about to drag the forum into a shouting match (or even more fun, boards.ie itself into a libel lawsuit)?
    Or do we need to close the thread? (Because I'd rather not do that, y'know).

Potential TV rights Sparks??money earner for Boards.ie!!!
    My mr's would thank you though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Deerhunter2

soap title ideas

(Ultimate) Power Rangers
    Dumb and Dumber
    Boards Witchhunt

hows about "pinky and the brain"
    today galway and mayo, tomorrow we take over the world:D

Royalred.

i can see some sense in what you say, but what happens when a lad just wants to shoot his own ground and is not interested in your club? does he suddenly become the local poacher and the enemy
    does this only apply to mayo, i know of a farmer in galway that is being treathened because he wants to shoot deer on his own land and he owns the sporting rights, another lad says there his deer and keeps sendin him letters.
    does this group not become a clic?
    what you are talking about needs to be run with legislation to make it work, it's either all in or nothing, you can't have a golden circle with 10% claiming to be representing everybody and telling everybody what to do, we should be looking at the european hunting syatems and modelling off that, but that means changing the law as it stands in many ways, especially shooting rights, im not against paying for shooting if it is all above bord and fair like in other countrys
    i know whats goin on in mayo and most what i hear is positive, but galway is a different story the only talkin between lads there is done in writin, paul got what he deserved, he had his chance to defend himself in court, the judge was no fool, no point tryin to defend him now, you only know one side of him.

Right, it was getting a bit childish, but back on track!
    I know of a farmer in galway that is being treathened because he wants to shoot deer on his own land and he owns the sporting rights, another lad says there his deer and keeps sendin him letters.

Naive here, Deerhunter2, but who is threatening (I don't mean names, but is it a group)? Are they telling him not to shoot on his own land in season even though he has sporting rights? How does the other lad reckon they are his dear, did he breed them and they wandered on to the Galway fella's land? Fascinating stuff.

Edit... That's me being naive, not you Deerhunter2!!!

hows about "pinky and the brain"
    today galway and mayo, tomorrow we take over the world:D

i can see some sense in what you say, but what happens when a lad just wants to shoot his own ground and is not interested in your club? does he suddenly become the local poacher and the enemy
    does this only apply to mayo, i know of a farmer in galway that is being treathened because he wants to shoot deer on his own land and he owns the sporting rights, another lad says there his deer and keeps sendin him letters.
    what you are talking about needs to be run with legislation to make it work, it's either all in or nothing, you can't have a golden circle with 10% claiming to be representing everybody and telling everybody what to do, we should be looking at the european hunting syatems and modelling off that, but that means changing the law as it stands in many ways, especially shooting rights, im not against paying for shooting if it is all above bord and fair like in other countrys
    i know whats goin on in mayo and most what i hear is positive, but galway is a different story the only talkin between lads there is done in writin, paul got what he deserved, he had his chance to defend himself in court, the judge was no fool, no point tryin to defend him now, you only know one side of him.

100% deerhunter2 the lad that minds his own business suddenly becomes the poacher to these lads.Its no different to the Brits all those years ago the IDS are no different,Im not sure you saw the post that got deleted on me by Irlconor for fear of lible.I can actually see war breaking out yet over the shooting permissions.Mr wood feels its time to look for the support of the small man so he comes on here representing himself in disguise pretending hes a down to earth sort of chap when he tormented people for years doing there own bit of shooting.

Mr wood feels its time to look for the support of the small man so he comes on here representing himself in disguise
    1. We don't know that's what happened.
    2. Even the mods don't know - details like the IP of the poster are protected under the Data Protection Act, and you certainly don't have access to that kind of information.
    3. Because of the first two points, saying Wood is on here under false pretences is running close to libel.
    4. In case we've all missed the irony, you are anonymous here. As are all the other posters tearing into folks on this thread, as well as all the people defending them...

Point 4 there isn't actually saying it's wrong, just pointing out the irony of one anonymous poster slagging another off because of their anonymity...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

...All the comments were valid if the details of the conviction were true. That conviction is I belive, under appeal. I can say with certainty that there was no offal or headless carcasses dumped. The site was not near a water course. What was dumped for one night was two deer skins and bones from which the meat had been removed. The wardens photos from the site in question will prove this. I am not condoning the dumping even though Mr. Wood rectified it by retrieving the material. In certian EU countries it is illegal to remove the grallough (internal organs) from the field after a deer has been culled...

Really?
    I find the above very hard to believe. From the newspaper report the details of exactly what was dumped were clearly stated in court. Were these details not contested? Perhaps you could confirm if any defense was made. Were the details clarified on Mr. Wood's behalf?

As a one time acquantance, how could you be so sure of the real facts? Friend of a friend or close friend as suggested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Royalred

Hiya,

All I can say is wait for the final outcome. Do you always belive whats in the papers ?
    I've met hunting folk from all over, I trust my instincts when sizing up people as well as taking stock of their achievments. If Im proven wrong, so be it.

Royalred

Advertisement