Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Candidate Running For Town Council

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

KINGVictor wrote: »
    But you wont have any problem referring to those immigrants as Irish if they turn out to be successful.

If we can allow "non native Irish " to play for the national soccer team or claim them to be Irish when they become music stars or even the US president-O'Bama,then it is only right that they have the right to seek political office in Ireland.

What the what the what?:rolleyes:

Obama is not Irish. He is an American.

Thats some strawman, bravo.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Which is created by...? Now you're moving the goalposts. You tried to claim that the government has no responsibility to anyone other than Irish citizens. That claim is patently false.

The Irish governments responsibilty is to protect and preserve Irish citizens. Nobody else.

What you are talking about is assualt, obviously this falls under the Irish Constitution as the attack occured on Irish soil.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I did not put words in your mouth - I asked a question - that's why there was one of these - ? - at the end of the sentence.

You indicated that the Polish guy should not be eligible, because he's not Irish.

I was merely asking whether you'd choose a home-grown, born and bred Irish person over a Polish one....and if that's the only criteria then we'd be in trouble, because there are LOTS of reasons why particular Irish people shouldn't be voted for.

Given a born-and-bred Irish FF lackey versus a Polish guy, I know who I'd vote for.

I said I feared tribal politics. Enough of that over the last few years.

I also said that if a non national candidate was running on a platform that appealed to me, and not pandering to their own demographic, that they would get my numero uno. My issue is I only see the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

It is a she. Shes hot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

PaulieD wrote: »
    What the what the what?:rolleyes:

Obama is not Irish. He is an American.

Thats some strawman, bravo.

I think you should realise that I only referred to him contextually.Immediately he became a front runner in the US elections,the Irish magically found out that his great-great-great grand father came from County Offaly and were very eager to identify with him while paradoxically he definitely would not have had that opportunity or priviledge in Ireland....the Truth.

If the attack occurs on Irish soil, then of course. What I was saying was the Irish Government are elected to serve Irish citizens.

w_michalska_anna.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I have to totally disagree with you on that point, some of the train wrecks posing as threads on the After Hours are beyond dumb.:pac:

I Brisbane i went to school with Ronan Lee, a skinny little irish kid who came over with his family at the age of 14 or so, he was a state politician with the Labour party for two terms i think, then he switched over to the Green party and got an awful kicking at the last election, the tree hugging hippy...

But to say that a person should not enter politics because they are a "Non National" is one of the most stupid comments i have heard for a long time and worthy of being on After Hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

From reading your post it was obvious you hope she did not get in. Il be honest and admit it would worry me if immigrant candidates started to win seats in the dail as they mostly pander to their own fellow nationals.

So they haven't won, but you think they'll "pander to their own fellow nationals"?

Explain to me, from your well of fore-knowledge.

Nodin wrote: »
    So they haven't won, but you think they'll "pander to their own fellow nationals"?

Explain to me, from your well of fore-knowledge.

By looking at their election manifestos.

By looking at their election manifestos.

Well her party does look after its own, but I don't see anything about unduly favouring Polish people here....
    http://www.fiannafail.ie/

Give us a source for your claims, if you would.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Yeh you caught me there, i was having a bit of a laugh at the After Hours forum, compared to anything a bit more serious this thread is bit of a train wreck and worthy of scorn and ridicule.

In keeping with the direction of this thread, I would vote for her by looks alone, i would much rather be lied to by a beautiful woman than some troll any day (not saying she is a lier, but she is trying entering politics now isn't she) your imput on this working theory is welcome.

Anthony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

If the attack occurs on Irish soil, then of course. What I was saying was the Irish Government are elected to serve Irish citizens.

You've have made it quite clear already that you have no idea who these people are that the Govt is supposed to be serving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

In my local town, tomorrow will be the election for the town council.
    What amuses alot of people is a independant polish canditate running for election:

Is This the start of a new generation.

Whats Your views????

Can she spell - independant polish canditate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I honestly don't see what her Nationality has to do with anything.

As long as it's legal for her to stand , they why shouldn't she ?

What are the rules for Non-Irish standing for election ? Can I as a British person stand for election as a TD/MEP/Cllr next time round ? ( assuming I was to get the correct amount of nominations etc ). Does the President here have to be ' Born in Ireland ' like the president of the USA ?

If you agree with her politics, and what she is standing for , vote for her , if you don't then don't .

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    So you'd prefer if hardworking Polish people weren't represented, while home-grown scumbags and leeches were ?

After all, if the criteria is what's on your passport, we should probably elect a few of the religious orders that abused kids too, ahead of this Polish guy....

You are assuming that all EE are honest hard working people - they are not i could start a thread on it but of course it would be locked

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    "The people". I have.

Do you honestly believe that the Irish government has absolutely no responsibility whatsoever to anybody who isn't an Irish citizen? If so, how do you reconcile that view with, well, reality?

Yes, they don't I am a non national and I should not be Ireland problem, I should be the problem of my country of origin.

I'm an Irish national.
    Was not born here. Neither of my parents were born here and we're all Irish citizens.

You seem very confused, fella.

Well I was not born here either, I do have an Irish parent I am not a citizen, your post are extremely biased, of course in your favour to suit your circumstances, heaven forbid an Irish citizen would want a candidate elected to work in the interest of all people not one nationality or demographic.

SWL wrote: »
    Well I was not born here either, I do have an Irish parent I am not a citizen, your post are extremely biased, of course in your favour to suit your circumstances, heaven forbid an Irish citizen would want a candidate elected to work in the interest of all people not one nationality or demographic.

Well, for starters you could show some grounds that they would not work in the interest of "all people" with some campaign literature, website of theirs or the like.....The last person asked hasn't come back to me, so feel free to jump in....

I am Irish and my parents are Irish. We just weren't born here.

I don't give a stuff why people for vote for a particular candidate. I'm an Irish citizen. I know why I vote for the particular candidates that I choose and the reason has nothing to do with "nationality" or "demographic". Like every voter here (obviously I'm excluding the apathetic lazy arsed majority who don't bother), I vote for what I think is best.

What this obviously misled person has posted is based on the continuing disenfranchisement of people as non-citizens or nationals just because they were born off the island. That is "bias" as well as being incorrect. What I state is fact. I am a citizen. What the person I was replying to states is a pro-agendaic fallacy when saying that I am not. Ergo the person is wrong.

Biased indeed...:rolleyes:

I am Irish and my parents are Irish. We just weren't born here.

I don't give a stuff why people for vote for a particular candidate. I'm an Irish citizen. I know why I vote for the particular candidates that I choose and the reason has nothing to do with "nationality" or "demographic". Like every voter here (obviously I'm excluding the apathetic lazy arsed majority who don't bother), I vote for what I think is best.

What this obviously misled person has posted is based on the continuing disenfranchisement of people as non-citizens or nationals just because they were born off the island. That is "bias" as well as being incorrect. What I state is fact. I am a citizen. What the person I was replying to states is a pro-agendaic fallacy when saying that I am not. Ergo the person is wrong.

Biased indeed...:rolleyes:

I didn't question your status in Ireland, I questioned the position of an poster who through election information stated a candidate who only workS for a particular nationality or demographic, I meet a labour candidate in Dublin city centre on discovering I was a foreigner and registered to vote gave me the same line, which I completely disagree with.

I too could get an Irish passport, but I don't see the point as I am NOT Irish I was reared, educated in another country, I am in no way Irish, so to call myself Irish would be ridiculous.

I too could get an Irish passport, but I don't see the point as I am NOT Irish I was reared, educated in another country, I am in no way Irish, so to call myself Irish would be ridiculous.
    Putting your posts together, you make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I honestly don't see what her Nationality has to do with anything.

As long as it's legal for her to stand , they why shouldn't she ?

What are the rules for Non-Irish standing for election ? Can I as a British person stand for election as a TD/MEP/Cllr next time round ? ( assuming I was to get the correct amount of nominations etc ). Does the President here have to be ' Born in Ireland ' like the president of the USA ?

If you agree with her politics, and what she is standing for , vote for her , if you don't then don't .

For local elections as you can vote you can stand. For the Dail/TD/Presidency no and for the EU if you are an EU citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Good man. A native Irish person is somebody who was born and bred here to an Irish parent. Otherwise known as an Irish citizen.
    A native Irish person is nothing remotely close to an Irish citizen. A native Irish person is an impossibly loose term. How many generations do you have to be resident in Ireland for before you're a native? 3? 4? 5? Do you have to be able to trace your line back to the Normans? The Celts? It has no definition. And by your definition, nobody could ever be a native Irish person, since every single person in the country has to have had an immigrant somewhere in their lineage.

An Irish citizen, on the other hand, has a very strict definition. You can become a citizen through descent, birth, marriage or naturalisation. Again, nothing like your definition

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭28064212

One Lithuanian wants to send Irish people over to her native land to private recieve health care there. Evidence and links will be supplied when I have more time tonight.
    Actually, that's not what she said at all. What she actually said was:
    I offer to organise trips for medical treatment to the other countries of EU
    What she then suggested was a hospital near her home-town as an example, because she had experience there
    The candidate said she had her own personal experience when she went to have an ultrasound at the Midland Regional Hospital, Portlaoise. Ms Olsevska was told she would have to wait six months or pay €800 for the test. She opted instead to have the test in Lithuania where the waiting time was just two weeks at a cost of €100, which included accommodation.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Is_That_So

Thanks for the link , so it seems I can't run for TD:( Never mind

I can however vote in National/By elections for the Dáil , I have done a number of times.

I can't vote on your constitution , nor would I even if I was sent a polling card by accident , your consitution has nothing to do with me ( except I should respect/abide by it )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement