Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ Hero and Scratch: The Ultimate DJ discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Just picked this up, it's very good fun if overpriced.

Disappointed to hear it's not selling well. I guess that means Activision will drop support sooner rather than later plus a sequel has already been announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Saw it down to €79.99 in HMV earlier :eek:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

calex71 wrote: »
    Saw it down to €79.99 in HMV earlier :eek:
    *hugs Calex* off to HMV on monday I go! (monday is my last day of teaching practice FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-lip yes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

It's a Christmas present for me so picked it up.....and now it's well hidden! :'( Did get to play a mix in HMV, Dublin and it does seem like good fun! A bit tricky so will take a little bit of getting used to but I like the fact that you can't fail a song.

🤪

I'm not so sure about the not failing songs. It might make people complaisant about hard parts in a song. Also did I hear correctly that there's no practice mode?

• Advertisement

This game is amazing. A completely new challenge, it's been a while since I've sucked at a rhythm action game, this is brilliant! What songs are ye liking? I love that Jackson 5 one! Either way, highly recommened to all of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

My DJ Hero is hidden:rolleyes: under the bed! Cant have it until xmas!:( Going by previous posts nothing is gonna be done in my house xmas day!

My DJ Hero is hidden:rolleyes: under the bed! Cant have it until xmas!:( Going by previous posts nothing is gonna be done in my house xmas day!

Ah the fact you have to wait for it should make it all the better, and I havent even played it yet either so share the excitement :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Got it yesterday as a sort of early christmas present. Really enjoying is so far. Have done some of the songs on hard but mostly medium. Also loving the tracklist, especially Feel good inc. vs Through the grapevine. And Ice ice baby vs Can't touch this. Who woulda thought those two would go together :)

I'm averaging 3/4 stars on Expert now, I think my brain has figured it out. It's AWESOME

• Advertisement

Any tips? I can't get more than 3 stars on hard.

Ok, this is all fairly new to me too. What is it you're messing up, the scratches, the crossfading, the buttons or a mix of some/all?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I haven't really ventured into expert yet. Can manage hard though so might progress onto expert.

I'm finding the crossfading tough. Any tips?

silvine wrote: »
    I'm finding the crossfading tough. Any tips?
    Cross fading is what was catching me as well. Took me a good few hours of solid play to get. I can't give you advice on things like pattern recognition, which is half the battle maybe more, that's just something your brain has to figure out itself.

I can however give you some practical stuff I do myself.
    • DJ hero's hitboxes for buttons and scratches appear to be very lenient, but the crossfader is where I tend to get punished a lot, with regards pulling it across too early or too late. As such, If you see a series of notes up ahead attached to a crossfade, make that your priority and press the button afterwards (very quickly) that's seems to work well for me.
    • The way the game picks up your actual slides is something I find very interesting. Let's say for examples you've got the cf (crossfader) set to left. If you have to switch it over to right (blue) directly, that's easy just drag it all the way over and vice versa. However setting to centre is something which was killing me when I first tried it. That's when I found that the game is actually designed to pick up very slight movements towards centre. If your move ever 1/4 of the way from left to centre, the game registers that as a leit move to centre. As such, rather than pinching the cf with your thumb and pointy and sliding is back and forth, I find it much more practical to use my thumb to give the cf a quick knock left or the where my pinky meets my palm to give it a quick knock right. Remember you only need to do slight touches for moves towards centre, and you can ram the thing to the outsides. The only time I would use a pinch is for sections where you have to go left>right>left>right etc.

If there's anything specific you're finding tough after you've tried the above, feel free to get back to me. If this doesn't help, I apologise for wasting your time, this is all still new and intriguing for me too!

Good stuff, will give this a go. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Hows everyone finding Noisia - Groundhog? Had to laugh at how pathetic I am at it, even on Medium! Gave it a go on expert for the laugh but I failed miserably :rolleyes:

Havn't gotten to it yet, I haven't played DJ hero too much, generally just one session per night consisting of doing one new setlist and going over one old set list to get better scores.

What did ye think of the Daft Punk set list?

I thought it was pretty good, really liked the two megamixes - reminds me of their live show! Haven't given any a shot on Expert yet as I'm just getting through them on Medium/Hard and then I'll go back over them.

Had a look at that Noisia track on youtube, apparently it's the hardest in the whole game - see the madness here:

Here it is with hands.

I reckon I could 3 or 4 star that on expert. We'll find out sure!

• Advertisement

Oh one trick I found out (which you might already know).... save your rewinds for the 'perfect' sections and if you miss a tap/fade just use the rewind and it'll re-highlight the missed parts for a second shot!

I'm still not too sure about those rewinds. Can you use them to get extra points as well? If you drop your combo, can you use them to pick your combo back up and try again?

You can't rewind to pick up a combo unfortunately but I'm not sure if that applies if on a perfect section...

For the length of the rewind you get x2 points and it seems you can do a 720 degree one in expert so I'm guessing it's a longer bonus

Ha, so yeah, Noisia - Groundhog RAPED me today on expert, I can 2 and a half stars and a sore wrist :( DJ HERO confidence has been officially shattered!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Where is the cheapest place to get the XBox version at the moment.
    I know the price keeps jumping up and down all over the place.

Thanks.

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.

HMV near me in Dundrum have it for 79.99 if i go into town (dublin city) it's 104.99 there :confused:
    Seems to be odd that the same store but different branches have it at different prices, worth a look if you are in cork they have a HMV there also i think?
    What did you pay for it D4rk?

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Hey Jay Dee, like the username :) I got it for 79.99 in HMV last week, but that offer is over now I think. You might till be able to find a HMV doing it, but that was definitely the cheapest you'll see it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Thanks Guys,

Best I have seen ( in Cork ) is Game 89.99
    Hmv is 104.99 - No sign of 79 / 80
    Game Stop is 114.00

Might wait and see if any Christmas " Last minute " deals appear.

Do you need it by Christmas? If not, you might strike a bargain in the January sales, which usually start by about the 27th December.

• Advertisement

So, 2ish weeks in, and I'm already fuming with Activision. That has to be a record or something...

My DJ Hero controller is unplayable. When I scratch or spin the turntable it registers button presses as well, breaking my streak and destroying the game... I AM NOT HAPPY

I'm not the only one by the looks of it. This is an interesting read. I'll be taking it apart to give them some info tomorrow, and then bringing it back to the shop for a replacement on monday or tuesday... BAH!

Advertisement