Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

just back

good gig, bit of crack
    not a huge dc fan but enjoyed it

we arrived at the goffs park and ride at about quarter to six
    and made the gig at 8.15 approx, nightmare

left early to get out as we had a ten yr old with us
    and were not doing another two hours to goffs

the gig was fun but the rain damped it a bit
    and the 45min q for a beer!

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Just back in Dublin.

Left Dublin at 4. Arrived at Goffs Park and Ride at 4.25. Queued for 1 hour 20 mins to get on a bus. It drove 1km to the ramp onto the motorway and was in total grid lock. We gave it ten minutes. No movement so we walked the rest of the way to Punchestown in the rain. It was a 9.68 KM walk according to the phone GPS. Took 1 hour 50 minutes and arrived at the venue a little after 8 totally shattered. Our bus never caught up with us. Grand total of 4 hours after we left Dublin! We left the gig a few songs from the end and just made the first round of buses at 11 o'clock ahead of a MASSIVE queue. Back in Dublin at 12. I would not like to be left in that queue.

Good gig in between though but I will never travel to another gig outside Dublin. Infrastructure and organisation cannot cope.

EDIT: The guys I was with were in Slane last week and they said the ACDC gig transport situation was far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Eglinton wrote: »
    Just back in Dublin.

Left Dublin at 4. Arrived at Goffs Park and Ride at 4.25. Queued for 1 hour 20 mins to get on a bus. It drove 1km to the ramp onto the motorway and was in total grid lock. We gave it ten minutes. No movement so we walked the rest of the way to Punchestown in the rain. It was a 9.68 KM walk according to the phone GPS. Took 1 hour 50 minutes and arrived at the venue a little after 8 totally shattered. Our bus never caught up with us. Grand total of 4 hours after we left Dublin! We left the gig a few songs from the end and just made the first round of buses at 11 o'clock ahead of a MASSIVE queue. Back in Dublin at 12. I would not like to be left in that queue.

Good gig in between though but I will never travel to another gig outside Dublin. Infrastructure and organisation cannot cope.

EDIT: The guys I was with were in Slane last week and they said the ACDC gig transport situation was far worse.

Sounds like hell.

Anybody with any pictures of the gig that they would like to share?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Got the bus from Dublin at 4.25. Got off the bus and walked at 7.30. Arrived at 8.25. 4 hours to go 40km. Saw 3 fights in the first 30 minutes of getting to the gig, complete chaos at the food vans. Disaster of a gig IMO. AC/DC rocked hard as always though but the gig in the Point was a hundred times better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Got to Goffs at 1.30. Got to venue at 2.30. Ended up queuing for ages to get into area outside stage. Got in for 4.30. Blizzards were late going on but blasted through set. In front of barrier in front of vip zone was mental. Stuck it out though. Image of Angus on top of sound stage in the pissing rain lit by spots made it all worth it. Still on bus back to goffs atm. Gotta drive to limerick yet :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Gettin in and out wasn't that bad. Once you were in the town (Naas) you were ok.
    We had a shedload of pints in Naas, started walkin about six, hailed a taxi that got by the cops half a mile out, and were there ten minutes later. Fair enough, leavin we had to go before the end to beat the crowd, but we only had to queue for about fifteen minutes before we were on a bus.
    It's a gig with an estimated crowd of 80,000-100,000 so I don't know how people expect to get in and out easily if they don't plan ahead. Personally I had a blast. Roll on Oxegen!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Just in,great gig AC/DC on form as usual. Only gripe the moronic security attached to the bus queing, their system was a joke. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Eglinton wrote: »
    Just back in Dublin.

same story - 4 hours to get there. Cranky by the time we arrived and then had to leave before the end to ensure getting on a bus to get back at a reasonable hour. Complete waste of money imo. AC/DC were good but I should have left it at the o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Just back now from the gig with the boyfriend and another mate,

AC/DC were fúcking amazing, never really been that into them to begin with but christ, talk about rocking out. They were unbelievable, a few real good crowd pleasers in there, loved the atmosphere, it was just brilliant... AC/DC fans are mental, seen some things at that gig that I've never seen in my life... :eek:

Blizzards were crap, I actually thought the radio was on for 3/4 of the time that they were on stage, they even said something along the lines of "We know you don't want to hear us, but we're gonna do our thing anyway"... At least that's what it sounded like, was fairly pissed at that stage.. The Answer were ok, couldn't really hear them tbh, something was weird with the sound, or maybe we were just too far back? I dunno...

Transport wise... well, I dunno. Getting there was grand, Mammy dropped us at Goffs to the park and ride, at around 2.30, we sat around and had a can or two and got a bus no bother. Traffic was a bit heavy on the way there, but otherwise alrite. Crazy bus of people ahead of us, at one point, they just hopped out of the bus and started walking? They were flutered by the looks of things, driver was swerving tryna avoid them... Got to Punchestown at about 3.45 maybe a bit earlier. Was waiting for AGES at the drop off point to get in, but gates didn't open til around half four I think it was, and then things got moving.

Getting home was a different kettle of fish altogether... We left before the encore because despite bf's protestations, I knew there'd be slim hope of us getting out of there before 1 if we didn't leave then. Felt bad when AC/DC came back on stage and did Highway to Hell which was amazing, we were nearly out of the main area but managed to get a good listen with a good crowd so didn't miss out on the encore too much. One thing I'll say for the way out, I thought it was very poorly lit, but was a bit pished so maybe that was just me?

Started queueing for buses back to Goffs at around half 11 and whatever was with our queue, the EMPTY buses just kept skipping us? We were all getting really annoyed, and then this WAGON skipped the queue and started singing and pissing everyone off, christ she was a pain, and she refused to get to the back of the queue, so three people didn't get on our bus because that muppet skipped the queue with her two mates and the steward did fcuk all about it, even though we were all shouting to get to the back... EVENTUALLY a bus came, and we got and it and it was a grand road back to Goffs, save for a few hold ups coming into naas itself but got back to Goffs and got my taxi and all. Home before 1 and in bed now with a cuppa. Very rock and roll.

Think I got away very lucky though, wait and see...

also apologies for the excessive and unnecessary detail, still a wee bit drunk :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Wasn't at the gig but was in naas today, dodged most of the traffic as i know the town well, at 5:30 traffic on the N7 was almost back to the Kill exit, that's two before the Naas exit, and people were walking from there. Looked like an absolute disaster. Dublin Bus can't really take the balme here though it must be the traffic managment of the town. Not sure if that's the gardai or Naas town council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭romperstomper

drove down with 3 mates. left dublin @ 5.30 and went down the N81 to blessington. found a handy spot about 1Km from the red car park and left the car there. went in and caught the start of 'the answer'. no great shakes IMO. ac/dc rocked and we stayed to the end, though we had edged to the rear by the end of the encore. got to the car at 12 and it only took 30 mins to get back up the (deserted) N81 to dublin. home @ 12.30, result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 maverick09

AC/DC were amazing. I always laughed at when the tickets say no human pyramids but now i know why. Some quality pyramids :D the transport could of been better and could of been worse but i had such a great day. Boozing in the field outside before the gig was brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Great band, crap venue.

There's no point in holding these gigs in places that can't cope with the crowds. Small country lanes are not designed to deal with those sorts of crowds and the "ah sure, it's part of the craic of the day" nonsense that gets rolled out doesn't take into account that it was a Sunday night gig, a lot of the crowd had to leave early to ensure they could get home at a reasonable hour to be in work on Monday. We had to head back to Limerick so we missed the encore, we couldn't risk another fiasco getting out of the place with another two hours to drive to Limerick.

Band were well up for it, but won't be bothered going to all that hassle to see anyone there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Got to the park and ride at goffs at 5 o clock, the queue for buses was massive and after seein that they were all at a standstill on the n7 we decided to walk, took us nearly 2 hours.

Fantastic gig, couldnt get over the size of the crowd, I went to the back before the encores to make a quick exit but people were streaming out even before the encores,

Got to the goffs park and ride queue and it was mayhem, No proper queing system, we waited for a half an hour and moved about 15ft, then the buses stopped coming. Decided to walk back. Met a park and ride bus for naas a bit up the road and jumped on, then got a taxi out to the park and ride. Got into Kilkenny at two. Considerin we started quein at about 11.25 for bus we did pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Just back now, have to say it was a great show despite some moronic crowd surfers (the pyramids were good though despite a couple of painful looking collapses!) AC/DC were, well, AC/DC, they are the best live band in world, no contest. Have to say the sound was amazingly good for an outdoor gig. The Answer were solid, a good warm-up for the main event, and the Blizzards were, well, they were there.

As for getting in and out, well, it was as bad as I expected but not horrific, mainly because I didn't come in via the motorways. The guards really didn't look like they knew what they were doing though, as regards traffic management, and it showed. The weather was another downer, but it could have been worse too, I suppose.

All in all, though, the main event really was the main event, and as someone said, the shot of Angus on the platform with the rain caught in the spotlights was the image of the day for me (one I managed to capture quite well too, I'm happy to say).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cracking gig!!! AC/DC are awesome live. The rain didn't really bother me.

But the Dublin Bus set up left a lot to be desired. The queue set up was a mess and badly stewarded and it ended up being a free for all at the bus doors with 2 Gardaí doing their best to prevent crowds from storming the bus. I finally got on the bus and the driver had to stop 3 times on the way to restart the bus. Despite all that I got home around 2am.

All in all it was great gig and I do expect some inconvenience traveling to and from such a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

queued for a bus to goffs shortly after 11 got to goffs at 2.... acdc rocked venue ****e never again ****ing joke, tired now and have work in three hours ! sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Parked the car in Goff's at 3:30 and we didn't get into the gig until 7:25. A ****ing joke is right. What's the point having a park and ride if there are no bus lanes. I'm sure there are some back roads. The bus left Goff's and down the slip road and straight into traffic. I stayed on the bus for 30 minutes but as the bus was turning into a sweat box we got out. Loads of people were leaving there buses and walking in so we did the same. We past loads of empty buses on the way in.

AD/DC were class but as I was working this morning I had to leave early because of what happened to us on the way in. The bus driver we had back to Goff's took two wrong turns on the way back. Muppet.

Again AC/DC were class. Back in black made it all worth while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Another amazing organisational feat then.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Got home at 4am after being stuck in the same position in the car park from 12 to 2.30. Apart from that, it was a superb gig. AC/DC, what one say about them? Just awesome. Managed to get myself a pit pass so had a great view of the gig. Thoroughly enjoyable, even taking that 2 and a half hour wait into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

AC/DC were excellent, and the sound was amazing. The stage is easily the biggest I have ever seen....and I will never forget the TRAIN OF ROCK dominating the back of the stage :)

Will have to echo the terrible and bitter complaints about the venue and transportation. Simply put...i'll NEVER attend a Slane or Punchestown gig ever again. They cannot get it right!!

It's a real stain on the gig that the last thing you remember is being herded onto a bus like a pack animal...only to find that 1000 people have crashed through the barriers and taken all the buses :)

We left Dublin at around 5:15, and it was after 8:30 when we got there. We basically walked from the exit off the motorway like 99% of the crowd. We walked all the way to Nass and on to Punchestown.

Who's feckin idea was it to attempt to bring all them buses down them tiny little back roads. No bus lane!!! Why encourage public transport if there is no extra provision for the buses at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 **Mac**

Best Gig Ever... They Rocked... But what the f*ck was the deal with Kids in the Pit... Waste of Pit Passes as for the bus back to goffs.. BullSh*t, qued straight after the concert... got a bus at round 2.. WTF, Bus got Stuck.. We had to push it out and got to Goffs to wait in traffic for another hour.. Not organisation at all. Got home this morning at Half 5, work at Half 7. Shockin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

atariman wrote: »
    Gettin in and out wasn't that bad. Once you were in the town (Naas) you were ok.
    We had a shedload of pints in Naas, started walkin about six, hailed a taxi that got by the cops half a mile out, and were there ten minutes later. Fair enough, leavin we had to go before the end to beat the crowd, but we only had to queue for about fifteen minutes before we were on a bus.
    It's a gig with an estimated crowd of 80,000-100,000 so I don't know how people expect to get in and out easily if they don't plan ahead. Personally I had a blast. Roll on Oxegen!!:pac:

How long did it take you to get to NASS mate? Took us the guts of 4 hours, and we were walking for most of it. The buses never caught up with us....and within 5 minutes of entering the gig some drunken Nordie was starting on me mate ;)

Still had a great time, sound was excellent and ACDC rocked. Left just b4 the encore and was in the first wave to storm Omaha beach. Got home to Dublin for 1:00am (I think we did well)

Had it with big gigs in this country tho...we simply are not able to run them. The infrastructure is not there...I blame FF for the whole thing *****rs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

If it hadn't been for the fact that AC/DC always put on an amazing live show this gig would have been a complete disaster for us. To concur with another poster, I will never go to another MCD gig outside Dublin. We took Dublin Bus at 4pm - that was fine - arrived at gridlock at Goffs at 5pm and after half an hour of not moving we decided to walk - myself and my pregnant wife. Jesus Christ, we walked for 2 hours before finally getting there, soaking wet from the rain and starving. Then we had to put up with the complete disorganisation at the food vans and overcrowding. The organisational mess completely marred the day for us and spoiled my wife's first experience of seeing Angus and the boys. After hearing the horror stories about getting home from Slane the other week, we left early - about 10.45pm or so - which by all accounts was the wise thing to do. Bitterly disappointed. MCD - you are a shower of money-grabbing bastards who don't give a fúck, once you get our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭budhabob

Fantastic gig, the lads are ageless. we must have been in the lucky few. Stayed for the encore, and walked to the car park then hopped in the car, and was home to laois in an hour. thought twas great. But we seem to have been the lucky (jammy) few. We were complementing the organisation and everything, oops. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'll echo the sentiments above about the buses.

It was my first time seeing AC/DC and I was in complete awe of Angus, that guy sure can move. Getting raised up on the platform in the rain was a complete hair raising experience.

Didn't get to the Goffs bus until about 2 which was a joke in itself. We got one of the Dublin buses. The guards and stewards told us to get onto it after getting herded around 4 different queues. Maybe there is another on boards who got the same bus as me ... the bus passed the goffs slip road, the driver was actually headed for Dublin. The whole bus protested and he pulled over but we were way passed the exit at this stage. Everyone demanded he drive back to Goffs but he said he was going to Dublin (not one person on the bus was going to Dublin). We called the guards and everything. Finally 2 dublin bus reps appeared in a car, got on the bus and instructed the driver to follow them back through Kill. We finally got back to goffs some 30 minutes lates.

I will never go to another punchestown gig, park and ride my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Left Dublin 6pm, drove to Johnstown, parked up.
    Took bike out of boot and cycled to punchestown - arriving shortly after 7 :)
    Same story on way back - left gig after fireworks with crowd, on my bike and back in Dublin before midnight.

Not a big AD/DC fan, but a super gig and one not to miss - certainly an experience

• Registered Users Posts: 11 daveh32

Superb performance from AC/DC. As for them spleens who were trying to organize the park n ride - there's 400,000 people on the dole in this country and I'm sure each and every one of those people would have been grateful for a job last night. Signs up for all public transport, fine, get into your queue, fine, don't have any buses, not fine, people getting messy, not fine, idiots with megaphones directing barrier jumpers to "new" queue and directing buses to take these people out first, not fine, excuses like "this is not my area" (quotes one steward when things start getting ultra-aggressive) - "this is not my area" - who said it: Steward Number 5852. Tell ya though, we got some great mileage out ripping the piss out of him on the way back to Goffs. And fair play to the bus driver for picking up the man with his boy at the top of Naas. Apparently someone told him it was a 2 mile walk to Goffs from Punchestown. Idiot for telling him that, idiot for believing him. He got lucky.

Don't EVEN get me started on the Order Of Malta dude who was playing with himself in front of the buses. Well, he may have been manoevering his bits n pieces but to us, after queuing for 1½ hours to get on a bus, he was "interfering" with himself.

Bottom line: if the gig is not in Dublin, I ain't ever going again....Park n Ride me hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

there's something else at play here folks. have been to gigs in punchestown b4 and seen many many gig crowds pass through over the last few years with no hassle at all. Up until yesterday was thinking that it was one of the better venues. Yesterday was by far the worst I've seen there. With Oxegen I know people arrive over a few days so that makes it easier but even previous once off gigs there was never this kind of traffic chaos. The police presence yesterday seemed well down on previous years - don't the promotors pay for this? Are there not minimum numbers that have to police these events. No point in blaming dublin bus - traffic was just not moving and thats down to promotors/guards. So the question is - are we seeing less policing of these events now? Slane and now this? Is it down to penny pinching? Having to leave a gig before the end to make sure you get home is a disgrace and seems to be coming the accepted norm - we should not be accepting that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

One question though. How does an old fella like Angus move his fingers that goddamn fast?

That solo in the rain on the raised centre podium is a memory that will stick with me for life. Absolute genius.

Oh. To the chick who got her tits out on the giant screen "WE SALUTE YOU!"

Advertisement