Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

As a rule, the Blizzards tend to be way more cockey. Wait until Oxegen 2009 when they will be preening like peacocks, to a musically moronic crowd, whose musical knowledge extends to the chorus of the middle of the road bands who they are willingly subjecting themselves to. Just wait unti Kings of Leon (who I do have a lot of respect for, and are not particularly "middle of the road" like 99% of Oxegen's line Up) start singing "sex on fire", and you will see what I mean.

However, The Blizzards were clearly, consciously understating themselves. They knew their audience, and didnt want to be there. Hence they willingly let "The Answer" trump them on the bill. They were there by accident, and made no bones about that. Plus, I respect the crowd for not giving them dog's abuse. It was good that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

We drove up after the mess MCD made of Slane buses, so we got on pretty ok.... Putting up a blog post with pictures now...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Sorry to go OT here, just heard on the Radio that Reese Witherspoon was there?,

just wondering if anyone had seen her...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

As a veteran of many AC/DC shows over the years (first show back in 1980), I am sorry to say that this will be my last AC/DC show (or should I call them the Angus Young band).

Angus is still amazing (although he has lost a step) and is AC/DC. From the sound of the band to its marketing, he is everything AC/DC.

The band as a whole is a shell of what they used to be. Brian Johnson is quite possibly the least charasmatic front man of his generation.

I had my doubts about going out to Punchestown for a variety of reasons, but in the end all of the issues that had worried me came to fruition.

The term that comes to mind over and over again is cluster**** in every sense of the word......MCD, the stewarts, the gardai, Dublin Bus, the beer vendors, the cost of food, the setup of Punchestown.

I completely understand now why MCD didn't want any of their promotions discussed on Boards. If this is how they do business, then I fear for the future of live music in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Cremated wrote: »

what? Who cares? Do AC/DC fans really want to see her anyway! I doubt she had to walk very far:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Anyone else think it focused completely on Angus and Brian? Found it very strange; the rest were kept at the back of the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Healium wrote: »
    Anyone else think it focused completely on Angus and Brian? Found it very strange; the rest were kept at the back of the stage

It's never been anything else. Even when Bon Scott was in the band all the focus was on the front two, all the rest stay in the background.

what? Who cares? Do AC/DC fans really want to see her anyway! I doubt she had to walk very far:)

I'm not a big fan of AC/DC, I just was curious if this was true, and I thought this would be the spot to ask, being the thread for the show,

no need for the '' what? who cares? '' comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yeah did you not see her flashing her boobs during "The Jack"....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

i have seen alot of shows in my day. this is exactly wat rock is about. The blow up doll riding a train... how much did that cost just for one song... amazing. Angus was class.

It was the single greatest show I have ever attended. I am a fan of the band, but the organisation of the stage show was astronomical and a credit to every one involved. Unfortunately, the park and ride facilities we were warned to use were shocking. Bearing in mind, €80 was spent buying a ticket for this show. I would pay tripple to see ACDC again but never in Ireland with MCD as organisers. The following is what happened to me, my girlfriend and brothers at the gig.

1. On instruction, we parked in newhall park and ride facility at 1.15pm

2. On the way from newhall to the venue, our bus driver was turned back by guards because he was on the red route and not the red bus route. Was it too difficult to have more than two colour routes?

3. We arrived at 2:30pm, hours in advance as told by MCD and the guards only to find one chipper waggon outside the venue with large lines for toilets.

4. We were towards the start of the line for the buses back to newhall only to have one steward manning the line and at least three bus loads of people jumpped to the front.

5. We were 4 meters from the front of the line at the gig... stood ther for 1hr 45mins and did not get to the carpark in newhall until 2am.

6. Eventually when a bus driver did pick us up, he had to ask passengers for directions to the car park.

This lack of organisation is not acceptable and I for one will never go to an MCD open air event again irrespective who is performing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

YT wrote: »
    F*cks sake, all the complaints.

It's all part of the expierience. Had trouble getting there and back and a hundred other things I can complain about but I'm not going too, f*ck it, it was a great day and you's all got home in the end.

Sorry YT but I have to very much disagree. I know you're just giving the positive vibes and we Irish are a hardy lot but ffs after nearly 20 years of gig-going in Ireland and abroad this was the biggest fiasco I've ever seen. We're in a recession and we've paid our extremely hard-earned cash for a positive entertainment experience, yet because we're the gobshíte Irish who never complain and will put up with any sort of rubbish so long as we have a drink - we get a situation like yesterday.

Seriously, I don't care about the weather, the traffic, even the 2 hour walk to the gig - it's the fact we could have had another Hillsborough on our hands. Is it going to take a death at a large scale event like this before we wake up?

And imagine the tabloid headlines then - Stampede Death at rock concert - drunken idiots rampage - Minister says all outdoor concerts to be banned...

As a veteran of many AC/DC shows over the years (first show back in 1980), I am sorry to say that this will be my last AC/DC show (or should I call them the Angus Young band).

Angus is still amazing (although he has lost a step) and is AC/DC. From the sound of the band to its marketing, he is everything AC/DC.

The band as a whole is a shell of what they used to be. Brian Johnson is quite possibly the least charasmatic front man of his generation.

I had my doubts about going out to Punchestown for a variety of reasons, but in the end all of the issues that had worried me came to fruition.

The term that comes to mind over and over again is cluster**** in every sense of the word......MCD, the stewarts, the gardai, Dublin Bus, the beer vendors, the cost of food, the setup of Punchestown.

I completely understand now why MCD didn't want any of their promotions discussed on Boards. If this is how they do business, then I fear for the future of live music in this country.

Firstly, I respect the fact you are a ACDC veteran and are prob more knowledgably than all of us put together and Yes Brian Johnson is not Bon Scott but who are you comparing Brian Johnson to in terms of his generation.

As for the Angus Young Band, well Yes, he is the main man behind it...even the inflatable caps on the stage have the letter "A" which is obviously Angus...

Is he positioning himself for a few retirements within the band I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

A fantastic show and I was lucky enough to be in the blue pit. A stunning start with the video and train and it was a rock and roll ride all the way to "For Those About to Rock". I was parked in the Blue car park and it took 2 hours to get out of it. I understand busses were blocking the narrow road leading up to the entrance to this car park so no cars could get out. Would I do it again, on balance probably no. I think I'll stick to gigs in Dublin in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

brian johnson an uncharismactic front man??!!!! what the hell are you on!? and Ac/Dc a shell of what they used to be everyone i was there with sed they were better than theyd ever seen them live, u must have had a terrible position in the crowd

Healium wrote: »

In fairness, that's always the way its been since the very start. The boys in the backgound are firmly rooted to the spot but I thought Cliff Williams moved more than usual...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Went to ACDC last night and it was prob the best gig i have ever been to. The blizzards got a better reception then thought(although not a massive one) when they walked on they said "Sorry were no thin lizzy" The biggest reaction they got was when they start playing the riff for beat it . The Answer were ****in great they show what a irish rock n roll band is like. Then it was time for the mighty DC and they blew eveyone away , angus even came out to a platform at the back of the pit and did a solo while the platform raised and confetti came out of canons. A fireworks display ended the whole night .

We pretty much would have got in for free cause we got a lift in with the gardai but when we went to the barrier this women asked us for our tickets but we ended up talking to the female steward who was dead on (she even said when see was working at slane or her husband was , she said that there were about 10,000/15,000 people who didnt have tickets and got in and also 100 dublin buses didnt turn up that night to bring people back)had great craic with her. We also thought that there wasnt enough stewards around , there was about 10 each side of the walkway but only 5 or 6 on our side(which was the right hand side of the crowd. Also the stewards around the place were useless since none of them knew where the main entrance was which wasnt suprising .

Apart from that it was a very enjoyable gig and getting a lift back in the paddy wagon

your giving out about stewards but you use the garda for your lifts?how do you get the lifts from them to and from concerts?

Firstly, I respect the fact you are a ACDC veteran and are prob more knowledgably than all of us put together and Yes Brian Johnson is not Bon Scott but who are you comparing Brian Johnson to in terms of his generation.

As for the Angus Young Band, well Yes, he is the main man behind it...even the inflatable caps on the stage have the letter "A" which is obviously Angus...

Is he positioning himself for a few retirements within the band I wonder?

Brian has no personality whatsoever. Other than grunting and say 'yeah !' every once in a while he really doesn't do much interaction with the crowd.

Angus is one of my favourite guitarists of all time. He is the main attraction. He is the reason that I go to the shows. I just don't see myself making an effort to see them again.

brian johnson an uncharismactic front man??!!!! what the hell are you on!? and Ac/Dc a shell of what they used to be everyone i was there with sed they were better than theyd ever seen them live, u must have had a terrible position in the crowd

We were really far back. That definitely had alot to do with the experience.

If it weren't for the monitors, we wouldn't have been able to see anything.

I've seen them many times over the last three decades, and they don't measure up to what they were. Obviously, with age, this is going to happen. It's almost not fair of me to compare them to the gigs that I saw nearly 30 years ago, but I have to call it as I see it.

The show itself was still a good time, just not a great time (for me).

The cluster**** that happened around the show is another story all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cuculainn

budhabob wrote: »
    Fantastic gig, the lads are ageless. we must have been in the lucky few. Stayed for the encore, and walked to the car park then hopped in the car, and was home to laois in an hour. thought twas great. But we seem to have been the lucky (jammy) few. We were complementing the organisation and everything, oops. :D

Have to agree with this......parked in Red car park, stayed to the very end.....wandered back to the car park changed and was out and on the road moving by 12 am......All the other posts make me thankful I didnt decide to be Green and use the public transport/park and ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

u know most people dont want a lot of interaction with the crowd, ur there for a rock n roll show not a social interaction!

• Advertisement

Brian has no personality whatsoever. Other than grunting and say 'yeah !' every once in a while he really doesn't do much interaction with the crowd.

Angus is one of my favourite guitarists of all time. He is the main attraction. He is the reason that I go to the shows. I just don't see myself making an effort to see them again.

LOL...:D..thats true..then again Bruce Springsteen nevers shuts up..to be fair what do we want him to say...give his opinions on world peace? we have Bono for that...

Can you believe Kerrang voted Angus #96 in the Worlds Top 100 guitarists...ok he is not the best but #96 that was an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

u know most people dont want a lot of interaction with the crowd, ur there for a rock n roll show not a social interaction!

dont agree with this at all, its nice to have interaction
    makes it more personal, people want to hear their heros speak to them

rgds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

allanb49 wrote: »
    Saw one guy recording the whole thing with a proper camera, should be interesting to see what he got

I dont understand how people can do that, so much work when you could be jumping around!

The Blizzards, I felt sorry for them. They knew the crowd didnt want them there, they even said it! The only real poppy pop song they played was fantasy, they left out that "trust me im a doctor" song, and got off the stage as fast as they could. I seen them last week in slane, very different set, for a very different crowd! Thank god MCD decided to have them on first, the plan was for the answer to open, then the blizzards :eek:

The Answer were class! ACDC => best live band ive ever seen, I have seen muse 4 times (3 times with the amazing light shows), and im a massive muse fan, but ACDC topped them last night!

I enjoyed The Answer. I knew nothing about them or their music..but I did wonder was I watching an old Led Zepplin video..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

Totally agree with posters saying that MCD, Gardai making a total hash of the entrance to and exit from the gig. Why can't they get this right at this stage.

As for the show itself....I swear to God at times it felt like I was reenacting the ecstasy of St. Teresa.

It was THAT good.

Can you believe Kerrang voted Angus #96 in the Worlds Top 100 guitarists...ok he is not the best but #96 that was an insult.

It is a total insult, but consider the source. lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I thought it was a great concert,they sound every bit as good today as 20 years ago.
    Doubt ill ever go to that venue again even though i live 15 miles away.
    We didnt get home until well after 2am,where was the lighting when 80,000 people were leaving?
    Busses and people everywhere fighting for the same piece of ground with no planning at all,simply terrible.
    I saw plenty of people getting in without tickets being scanned.
    After we got our spot there wasnt any security or first aid to be seen,if someone was unwell God help them to be honest.
    The crowd was very well behaved,overall we had a great if tiring night.
    The venue sucks for such a crowd.
    ACDC rock so hard, cant wait for U2 in Croker [a proper venue] in a few weeks :)

Yeah did you not see her flashing her boobs during "The Jack"....:D

No wonder there was such a deal made of it on the stations this morning, they didn't say what actually happened though,

was it actually her?,

craxy shiza that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

allanb49 wrote: »
    Saw one guy recording the whole thing with a proper camera, should be interesting to see what he got

Yeah I saw that guy as well, filming the bus fiasco at the end - he was on the other side of the barriers. Dead curious as to what his motive is.

• Advertisement

No wonder there was such a deal made of it on the stations this morning, they didn't say what actually happened though,

was it actually her?,

craxy shiza that is...

Ah no I was only teasing...well I am sure it wasnt her..then again I wasnt expecting her but I sincerely doubt it.:)

Advertisement