Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feral cats

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

jaffa20 wrote: »
    See, that's just what i don't get. You are just using your personal opinion of certain animals to choose a preference over shooting something. Whether you dislike an animal or not, actually more accurately, someone's PET or not has nothing to do with it, you should be specifically looking at the appropriate harm the each causes on the habitat. Killing someone's pet who is simply attacking rats in a nearby field should be completely distinguised from a feral cat killing endangered songbirds.

The distinction cannot be clearly be made by hunters at first sight so my point is to think before shooting. But then again, they are just disgusting horrible creatures, so it doesn't matter if it belongs to the girl next door.:eek:

The cats were feral cats. They didn belong to the girl next door. And even if they did his father was well entitled to shoot them. If a dog did the same it would be shot, so why not feral cats who are owned by no one??

Are hunters so highly trained that they only kills animals that actually harm the habitat?

Depends on the type of hunting jaffa, i do mostly vermin control. The odd pheasant for the table in season. I dont kill pheasants for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

This thread is like a dog chasing its tail, around and around and around we go.

dog%2520chasing%2520tail.jpg

Bang on there, i hope that dog is kept locked up :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Dusty87 wrote: »
    ......... i hope that dog is kept locked up :P:P

Ya or we'll have to shoot that too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'd hesitate more shooting a rabbit than a cat, dirty vile creatures, i kill them on sight when im out hunting. The destruction they cause to wildlife tame or not, is disastrous.
    The cats were feral cats. They didn belong to the girl next door. And even if they did his father was well entitled to shoot them. If a dog did the same it would be shot, so why not feral cats who are owned by no one??

Where exactly do you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Unsubscribe from thread - because I don't feel I have to justify myself to people whom have preconceived misconceptions about something I do with good reason and which is within the law.

FS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Unsubscribe from thread - because I don't feel I have to justify myself to people whom have preconceived misconceptions about something I do with good reason and which is within the law.

FS

me too!!!!
    what a joke!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Cats do cause damage to sheep and very serious damage at that. Two winters ago we had two female cats and a tom come to the farm (dumped off no doubt) and they were totally wild but we threw them the usual scraps and they took shelter in our hayshed atop the Square bales. We took no notice of them and were originally delighted to have them as we had a plague of rats around the place at the time.

Our sheep were fed during the winter with the hay from the shed where the cats had been nesting. The following spring in March when the sheep started lambing there was 5 dead stillborn lambs to begin with and we called in the vet, it turned out the sheep had gotten toxoplasmosis and leptospirosis from eating the hay due to contamination by cat urine and feces. We went on to lose 30 lambs out the 100 that year. That evening the cats were given food to lure them and all 8 (they had since multiplied) were disbursed by my uncle with the double barrel shot gun.

More cats have arrived randomly since and all have been shot. Cats spread toxoplasmosis and leptospirosis and our sheep had both although much higher levels of toxoplasmosis and we were originally blaming the rats for leptospirosis the rats were wiped out early in the winter when the cats arrived and the cats caught the leptospirosis from the rats and spread it to the sheep.

Cats have no place on a farm and are not a solution to rats or mice, poison however is. Of the remainging 70 lambs that year another 6 or 7 fell to the fox and they were nearly all suffering some effects from the toxoplasmosis and leptospirosis and had to be fed on lamb creep for a month before they were fit to sell due to the bloody cats, and the entire lambs profit was wiped out due to it.

There was also extreme medical risks for my father and I had we contracted it but the fact that we are both hayfever sufferers saw us tackle the hay with gloves and white disposable chemical suits and dust masks (my father even uses goggles he is so sensitive to hay) which obviously saved us from the disease. Cats also pose a massive risk to Pregnant women and it is even mentioned in the movie "9 Months" featuring Hugh Grant.

Cats will be shot, surviving cats will be shot again.
    well done , if you run out of ammo give us a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

See, that's just what i don't get. You are just using your personal opinion of certain animals to choose a preference over shooting something. Whether you dislike an animal or not, actually more accurately, someone's PET or not has nothing to do with it, you should be specifically looking at the appropriate harm the each causes on the habitat. Killing someone's pet who is simply attacking rats in a nearby field should be completely distinguised from a feral cat killing endangered songbirds.

The distinction cannot be clearly be made by hunters at first sight so my point is to think before shooting. But then again, they are just disgusting horrible creatures, so it doesn't matter if it belongs to the girl next door.:eek:

You do realise you are guilty of the exact same thing you are accusing people here of?

You are using your personal opinion of certain animals to choose preference over which ones are legitimate problems and therefore can be killed.

You seem to have no problem with the death of rats.
    You also seem to think, as shown in the above post, that pet cats don't kill endangered songbirds.

• Advertisement

He said they were wild. 'Feral: animal once domesticated but now gone wild'. Correct me if im wrong. Do you hunt jaffa?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

you are right jaffa, there is something good about cats and that is if you have enough of them they make a nice throw rug

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Bang on there, i hope that dog is kept locked up :P:P
    Ya or we'll have to shoot that too :D

FS
    dwighet wrote: »
    me too!!!!
    what a joke!!!
    welsummer wrote: »
    well done , if you run out of ammo give us a shout
    welsummer wrote: »
    you are right jaffa, there is something good about cats and that is if you have enough of them they make a nice throw rug

I had a long post written out and my computer crashed, i guessed i saved myself from more criticism.

Arse lick much:confused:

Yeah, there's not much more to be said here. I may as well be talking to a brick wall with no consideration for anyone who doesn't hunt (with the exception of very few).

And with that i'm out.

Proceed with your thanks whoring by all means ;)

Advertisement