Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feral cats

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

used to live in a housing estate,in a terrace house.one neighbour was feeding 2 wild cats(big nasty attitude aggressive, feral or strays, I don't know and don't care! )and the other neighbour on the other side had budgies and canaries in the backyard.So these cats spent most of their time in my back garden, now at the time I had two young children both under the age of 5 and these cats were C**ping all over the place, also when anyone went into my backyard they would sit on the wall and hiss and sometimes they would jump at you as though to attack. Needless to say I was less than impressed and common sense would not permit me use a rifle near houses, so a good powerful catapult was employed with a glass marble between the two eyes as it sat on the 7foot high wall and hissed at me. his partner got the same treatment 2 days later.

Sometimes its the only answer.

Did you not think about using the hose at full blast on them?

If you took its eye out and it ran off it would have suffered unnecessarily.

I wouldn't be so flippant about shooting strays that maybe (or not concerned about it) someones pets. Most shooters don't own the land they shoot on so if you shoot the landowners moggy or a neighbours and you lose your permission, pity about you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Dr. E these two were certainly nobodies pets as even the neighbourhood terriers were afraid of them and the garden hose was used plenty of times as I wash away their Cr%p !!

It's good to see your also an expert on Hunters as well as fluffy bunnies.

Dr. E these two were certainly nobodies pets as even the neighbourhood terriers were afraid of them and the garden hose was used plenty of times as I wash away their Cr%p !!

It's good to see your also an expert on Hunters as well as fluffy bunnies.

I never stated I am an expert on hunters and I'm more borderline than full on fluffy ;)

If those two cats were really such a danger that terriers were scared of them then you should have gotten a cage to trap and have them put to sleep at a vets rather than using a slim shot ala Dennis the Menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Well first I would of had to buy a trap - €100+
    then pay the Vet - €50 x 2 = €100
    TOTAL - €200+

bag of marbles - €1.95

but I did practice before hand and am quite accurate!:D

dtm.jpg

Thats ME!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Hope you had a safe backstop Dennis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

I believe there is going to be a bit on Springwatch tonight on bbc2 at 2000hrs, about a cat and badger having ago at each other might be worth a watch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭crowsnightmare

Thanks for the recipe HELLRAZER, I will give it a try over the weekend, although with the nice weather I think I will try BBQ cat instead & save your recipe for another time! If it works out I will post the recipe for the marinade later.

I believe there is going to be a bit on Springwatch tonight on bbc2 at 2000hrs, about a cat and badger having ago at each other might be worth a watch .

My bad they did not show anything like it, must of picked it up wrong yesterday :o Ah well good show anyway. Maybe its on the follow up show with all the extra bits.

Well first I would of had to buy a trap - €100+
    then pay the Vet - €50 x 2 = €100
    TOTAL - €200+

bag of marbles - €1.95

but I did practice before hand and am quite accurate!:D

Eh, not a beer ad!

Have you ever heard of beg/borrow/steal (or even make!) a trap and then dump on vets and run away. If they have any sense (which I hear they do) the two cats would pts after mauling a veterinary student for fun (they have to 'see' practice someway)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the recipe HELLRAZER, I will give it a try over the weekend, although with the nice weather I think I will try BBQ cat instead & save your recipe for another time! If it works out I will post the recipe for the marinade later.

I hear you can make a nice marinade out of Squirrel, tends to be nutty

*Budda Boom!*

I hear you can make a nice marinade out of Squirrel, tends to be nutty

*Budda Boom!*

Squirrel is actually quite tasty bbq with satay sauce.

Squirrel is actually quite tasty bbq with satay sauce.

Saw one of the chefs on the telly replace duck with squirrel in Peking duck. Is there much meat on the average grey, I know they are bigger than reds.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

if its wearing a collar and running away from you its a domestic cat gone wild. if it wearing a collar and running towards you its a domestic cat gone wild and coming to attack you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And if it stands still, it's a highly-trained VC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks wrote: »
    And if it stands still, it's a highly-trained VC...

:Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

Shouldn't that be "FC" ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I really don't agree with it, illegal or not.

I mean, how can you really tell whether a cat is feral?

Lack of collar doesn't mean anything

A wild, attacking cat won't mean anything as they will all do this with strangers.

So, do you think you should think again before you are perhaps killing someone's pet.

Also, is cat even edible. it can't be that tasty. I thought that was one of the main objectives of hunting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's a question of whether they're doing damage. Cats kill a huge amount of wildlife, pets or otherwise, if they're roaming free. In the same way a sheep farmer would be perfectly entitled to shoot a dog attacking his sheep, someone who raises and releases gamebirds is entitled to protect them by controlling predators. It's people's responsibility to control their pets. People, by and large, do this for dogs, but there's a ridiculous notion prevalent that it's okay to let cats roam free, and it's baffling.

It's a question of whether they're doing damage. Cats kill a huge amount of wildlife, pets or otherwise, if they're roaming free. In the same way a sheep farmer would be perfectly entitled to shoot a dog attacking his sheep, someone who raises and releases gamebirds is entitled to protect them by controlling predators. It's people's responsibility to control their pets. People, by and large, do this for dogs, but there's a ridiculous notion prevalent that it's okay to let cats roam free, and it's baffling.

So you're saying it's ok to kill someone's cat if they a chasing a bird. Pet cats roam all the time and kill birds and rabbits (like hunters). Their owners can't stop them doing that by keeping them locked up.

In fact, my sister's cat left a dead rabbit at the back door last week. Should i ring its neck for that?

They are nature's hunters. It's all part of nature and is in their instinct, survival etc.

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    So you're saying it's ok to kill someone's cat if they a chasing a bird. Pet cats roam all the time and kill birds and rabbits (like hunters). Their owners can't stop them doing that by keeping them locked up.

In fact, my sister's cat left a dead rabbit at the back door last week. Should i ring its neck for that?

They are nature's hunters. It's all part of nature and is in their instinct, survival etc.

If they're a threat to someone's investment, then yes. They're not a natural predator in Ireland and do enormous damage to our wildlife when let roam. Owners can prevent this by keeping them from roaming; to say otherwise is just wrong. The fact that they do it "all the time" is the problem. Just because it happens doesn't mean it's a good thing. If I were releasing ground-nesting birds and cats were killing them, the rifle would come out of the safe in pretty short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Its the owners responsibility to keep there animals out of trouble.cat,dog,cow,sheep,muntie(in case JW gets upset) or whatever,if a pet is causing you trouble AFAIK you are entitled to do whatever it takes to protect your property etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭welsummer

[

>In fact, my sister's cat left a dead rabbit at the back door last week. Should i ring its neck for that?

i have a feeling that you are a cat lover and it is not your sisters cat , but yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭clivej

I've said this before.

If a cat is causing damage or killing your stock then kill it by whatever means you can.

cover4180474318067429.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

clivej wrote: »
    I've said this before.

If a cat is causing damage or killing your stock then kill it by whatever means you can.
    [MOD NOTICE]
    EVERYONE:
    And we've said this before too:
    While the destruction of vermin* is perfectly legal and acceptable, there is no excuse for inflicting un-necessary suffering on ANY 'target' animal, so it behoves everyone engaged in such activity to do so in a humane and ethical manner.
    Suggestions of 'unusual' and 'novel' methods of vermin destruction will be viewed in a very poor light, particularly if they are posted in an attempt to get a rise out of infrequent visitors to this forum.

Please have a re-read of THIS POST.

*'vermin', in this context, refers to 'unprotected' (in legislation) animals that are roaming unrestricted and causing destruction to livestock or crops, in much the same way as the term 'weed' refers to a plant in an unwanted location, be it a dandelion or an orchid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭clivej

Rovi wrote: »
    [MOD NOTICE]
    EVERYONE:
    And we've said this before too:
    While the destruction of vermin* is perfectly legal and acceptable, there is no excuse for inflicting un-necessary suffering on ANY 'target' animal, so it behoves everyone engaged in such activity to do so in a humane and ethical manner.
    Suggestions of 'unusual' and 'novel' methods of vermin destruction will be viewed in a very poor light, particularly if they are posted in an attempt to get a rise out of infrequent visitors to this forum.

Please have a re-read of THIS POST.

*'vermin', in this context, refers to 'unprotected' (in legislation) animals that are roaming unrestricted and causing destruction to livestock or crops, in much the same way as the term 'weed' refers to a plant in an unwanted location, be it a dandelion or an orchid.

Rovi "roaming unrestricted" is the term here, in other words Not Controlled.

And as such, cats that do as you say above, should be killed, humainly, quickly. IMO even if they are "Pets" if they are causing damage to your livestock then the "end is nigh".

I don't think that any one is saying to "inflicting un-necessary suffering on ANY 'target' animal". God forbid that I would do or advise anyone to do that and that was not the question put up by the OP.

The same applies to dogs that worry sheep, rats that eat feed, so on - so on and on ............................

CliveJ

PS anyway I'm off to the O2 Arena tonight "War of The Worlds" is on and then off to sunny spain in the morning for a week or two. So keep up the good work while I'm gone.

Are released pheasants tagged? I really doubt they stay in the area intented.

Are released pheasants tagged? I really doubt they stay in the area intented.

They do stay if released in a suitable holding area and then fed to keep them there.

I'm sorry to be a pain here but killing an animal because it's a predator seems illogical when it comes to cats.

But the defense of killing a pet because it is by nature a predator of birds or rabbits seems stupid.

Don't hunters kill birds and rabbits too anyway like the cat?

****ting on your lawn. Well,cats don't really have an understanding that it's your private property and i think there are other ways of controlling cats in this case:rolleyes:

A farmer who SPOTS a dog attacking his sheep and kills it i can understand but only if it is during the act and on their property.

A hunter doing the job for the farmer, i don't as it is none of their business.

Anyway, my point is that each living animal is a predator so because it is, by your standards, we should go around killing everything, be it rabbits, birds, cats etc because it poses a threat to other animals. Isn't that hypocritical?

Unless there is proof that they are drastically disturbing the natural habitat, like there is for certain squirrels or deers then i don't see the point in shooting a cat that is chasing a bird:confused:

How does it effect you or your life? How is it causing that much harm unless some of the birds are in decline in the habitat? Also, whether i am a cat lover or not has nothing to do with it as i am simply looking at the logics of the animal as a predator in nature and the bird or whatever its catch may be is also a predator. It is all part of nature's food chain. The hunter himself being a controlling (and hopefully sensible) part of that chain.

• Advertisement

Cats are not a natural part of our environment, as they originally were imported from north Africa and the middle East as pets. Our wildlife is not equipped to deal with them, so we control them the way we control foxes.

In any case, there's no point debating this unless it's acknowledged that none of this is an issue if pet owners are responsible and restrict the movement of their pets. If they are, no pet cats will ever be shot, only wild and feral ones, and minimal damage will be caused to the environment. If people let their cats roam in the countryside, then it's possible they'll be killed. It's down to the owners to prevent this.

Advertisement