Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feral cats

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Some posters are after getting into a right tizzy over in the Animals & Pets Forum with this thread, with regards to this thread.

Seriously, why come over here & read posts in this Forum when they know what's coming?

What a kerfuffle.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭CZ.

good stuf lads look what i started:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Don't forget to keep the skin's, they can come in handy.
    catquiv2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭crowsnightmare

I'm going to the shed to look for a bag!!! Should I leave the top open or loosely tied for the Green Party canvassers???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

CZ. wrote: »
    good stuf lads look what i started:D

Jeez!- the cats amongst the pigeons now all right:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I'm going to the shed to look for a bag!!! Should I leave the top open or loosely tied for the Green Party canvassers???

My preference would be loosely tied, you don't want the cats to escape before the greenies reach their car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Re feral cats: some of the posters on these forums will know I work in cat rescue. In Australia, the country that truly hates the cat. And I own five of my own cats, so I truly love cats.

And I say this to you lot:

Make sure nobody owns it, and make sure you have a clean shot.

A collar is meaningless - all it means is someone owned the cat for the 90 seconds it takes to put a collar on. A cat with a collar can still be feral. A cat without can still be a pet. Check with your neighbours about who owns what cat. Even put posters up before you shoot them.

People need to keep their cats inside.

Feral cats breed like rabbits. They decimate wildlife and spread disease through the domestic cat population. They lead miserable lives that end in violence - either one of you lot shoot them, or someone runs them over (ford focus comment poster, welcome to my radar, you're now on it), or they're caught by dog fighters and used as bait to agitate dogs before a fight - or a coursing hunt - or they're attacked by other animals or people, or they're poisoned...

The list is endless. And I've seen some of the results. And I'd rather one of you bunch shot the ones in your vicinity, quickly and cleanly, than any number of the other ways they die. Yes, the ideal situation is for you to lay out traps and take the animal to the vet who'll euthanise them, but to be honest for a feral cat the stress of being trapped and transported to a vetinary surgeon's offices is hell on earth.

Yes there's a chance you'll miss.

Don't miss, okay?

My God! It appears that there is at least one other person in the world with good sense!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Yes but not the one that wants an electric fence for a cat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Some posters are after getting into a right tizzy over in the Animals & Pets Forum with this thread, with regards to this thread.
    Seriously, why come over here & read posts in this Forum when they know what's coming?
    What a kerfuffle.....

Such is life. How about posters here don't deliberately go there to antagonise them? That way, folks won't be walloped by infractions from two seperate forums at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Someone mentioned legal ownership here; unlike dogs, sheep, cattle, horses, etc etc... there's no such thing for cats. The positive angle to that one is that when someone is stupid enough to crash the car while avoiding your moggie you can't be held liable as would be the case with your dog or cow or ram etc etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

sfakiaman wrote: »
    My preference would be loosely tied, you don't want the cats to escape before the greenies reach their car.

The real "greenies" and "tree huggers" would probably like to see the back of feral cats to be honest. They want indigenous wildlife safe.

Not all the pet and animal forum people are just pro-life to any animal, no matter what it is. Lots of them hunt and eat game, there is just the odd frantic teenager.

If you want to see some hard core feral cat decimation, check out Wamsley’s War, google it. This dude saved a lot of indigionous wild life in Australia. His headgear didn't go down well.

Mods, can I link youtube vids here? Please delete if not..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiTlTVIN-V4

Sparks wrote: »
    Such is life. How about posters here don't deliberately go there to antagonise them? That way, folks won't be walloped by infractions from two seperate forums at once.

How about they don't is right. That's why you'll never find me responding to their posts when their moral high horse is out galloping.

As for antagonistic, that's a laugh and a half, I saw words on their post such as "scumbags", "sadistic enjoyment", "sickening" & our "mentality" has been questioned on more than one occasion.

I don't know why they come over here in the first place if they are so anti hunting, to be honest.

Come over by all means to try to learn about reality in the countryside but don't to go rushing back to the A&P forum with palpatations and collapse in a heap screaming for gas & air because they might have seen one of Clives bunnies doing a jive or shock horror, hear that feral cats get shot... because such is life...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭clivej

I think it's time for a feral cat video.
    Question = Would that be against the boards.ie policy?

I've seen plenty around where I shoot rabbits. People say they look (with their skin off) and taste like rabbit.

Lets face it there were lots eaten in the war years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Australian aborigines eat them all the time, they throw them on the fire, fur and all. They reckon it's good bush tucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kulchie

Shoot on sight they do alot of damage to young game birds and song birds, just make sure they are feral .

A domestic cat is just as likely to do as much damage as a feral cat to local birdlife. See this link http://www.articlesbase.com/pets-articles/cat-behavior-and-feral-cat-information-430694.html . Note where it says a cat (feral or domestic) can kill up to 1000 songbirds in a single year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks wrote: »

That's not antagonising :p it's called a difference of opinion

clivej wrote: »
    I think it's time for a feral cat video.
    Question = Would that be against the boards.ie policy?

Shouldn't be any different to any other video posted up. (Just edit out any butt scratching this time fella....) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Stray cats are the real problem, you wont see a real Ferral cat, I only came accross 1 once and he hissed and ran off. They are scruffy much more hair.

A while ago I lived on a main road and collected cats that where deliberately strayed (mounted them over the mantle piece, small cat hunting),:D:D

Seriously, I used to collect them up and bring them to the pound. I kid you not when I was told by the warden on trip number 6, stop bringing them. (In not exactly those words)

Now I am not a cat lover (well there was one, and she left me (bixch):mad:

I have three cats all strays 1 big Tom and he keeps all the other strays away.

And of course the local fox population (as I witnessed) will help

A word of advise from a elderly neighbour of mine, Cats and proprietary sewage treatment systems dont blend well :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Big difference between the wilder strays and domestic moggies.
    Thw wild ones do a lot more damage whereas the domestic cats tend to be well fed and hunt less frequently.
    My pigeons got wiped out by wild strays years ago, my 3 domestic cats will mix with the chicks and ducklings without a problem, and they chase rats out of the coop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

used to live in a housing estate,in a terrace house.one neighbour was feeding 2 wild cats(big nasty attitude aggressive, feral or strays, I don't know and don't care! )and the other neighbour on the other side had budgies and canaries in the backyard.So these cats spent most of their time in my back garden, now at the time I had two young children both under the age of 5 and these cats were C**ping all over the place, also when anyone went into my backyard they would sit on the wall and hiss and sometimes they would jump at you as though to attack. Needless to say I was less than impressed and common sense would not permit me use a rifle near houses, so a good powerful catapult was employed with a glass marble between the two eyes as it sat on the 7foot high wall and hissed at me. his partner got the same treatment 2 days later.

Sometimes its the only answer.

• Advertisement

so a good powerful catapult was employed with a glass marble between the two eyes as it sat on the 7foot high wall and hissed at me.

Often wondered where the term "Cats Eyes" came from.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Feral vs stray - you're not seeing feral cats. Feral cats are truly wild, and you've as much chance of seeing them as you have of seeing any other wild animal.

You're seeing strays, closer to the urban fox in manner than anything else - not tame, but unafraid of humans and damn cheeky, plus aggressive if cornered.

(The 1,000 songbirds a year statistic is a bit of a stretch - especially given most strays or ferals have a diet that includes birds, but also rabbits, lizards, all varieties of small rodents and a variety of insects. I'll give you a statistic that isn't - a female cat, well fed, can go into season for the first time at four to five months of age. She'll usually start off with a small litter - maybe only two kittens survive. Gestation is under two months, and the kittens will hang about with her usually for two months, but she'll come into season a second time and have a second litter before she's a year old. The second litter could be three or four kittens. So that's one cat, turning into seven cats within a year - but keep in mind again that the first litter of two kittens will be each having litters (or fathering them) themselves before their own mother has turned a year old...

Makes you see why 'half a million' is trotted out as the number of kittens two intact cats can be responsible for in their lifetime.)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

about 3 months ago I seen a guy dump a bag of cats close to my home, i got his reg and rang the gaurds to tell them... rang the ispca and gave them the guys reg number and told them it was a bag of 5 cats, asked them what will i do with them as i dont want cats around....

They told me to drown them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

k_d wrote: »
    rang the ispca and gave them the guys reg number and told them it was a bag of 5 cats, asked them what will i do with them as i dont want cats around....
    They told me to drown them.

I had an incident a few years back where I just about rescued a female swan who was entangled on an electric fence. She had a nest on the edge of a river bank with two eggs in it. She got caught by the "elbow" in her wing and couldn't get off the fence. Anyway, when i eventually got her off the fence, I lay her down and rang our local ISPCA for advice. They didn't want to know about it. They just weren't interested.
    Ended up ringing our local vet who came and took the swan back to the clinic. It died the next morning. I had taken the eggs back home and put them in the hot press and I rang Dublin Zoo the next day. Nice chap there explained that because there was no mate around with the swan (he wouldn't have left her side while she was in distress) the eggs would be sterile. They were and are on display in the local school now.
    Point is, it seems the ISPCA don't seem very interested in animal welfare. I've heard these type of stories more than once - recently read about a dodgy pet shop in Cork and again the ISPCA weren't interested.
    It seems to me that they have one agenda and that's to stop us enjoying our pastime.:mad:

Which is odd, because groups like the DSPCA actually train on civilian shooting ranges for the occasions where they have to shoot animals (apparently, if a wild goat or whatever falls part-way down a cliff, rather than risk getting killed trying to get to it to put it out of it's misery, you use a rifle to do so, and they practise to make sure they can do it right).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Maybe a stickie??:D
    Sofar;
    Work gloves,Arrrow quiver,

If you are starting an Apple tree chuck a dead cat in the hole and plant tree on it.Apprently it is absolutely brilliant for the trees growth.

Exellent bio starter for recently emptied septic tanks.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't like touching the septic things, I would just put them in a convenient hole.
    The last one I saw had terrible mange and the teeth were all blackened,the animal was in a terrible state, shooting it was the best thing in that case and I am damn sure I wouldn't want to go near it with a knife.

I did skin and tan one before and it made a nice pelt, I did the whole thing including the head, the problem is that the skins are generally small and hard to work with, you would need a lot to make anything decent sized from the leather. They make good conversation pieces, I would like to see one the way they used to do lions with the head mount on the skin.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Maybe a stickie??:D
    Sofar;
    Work gloves,Arrrow quiver,
    Feck's sake lads, there's no need to be deliberately winding up the Animals&Pets people. A cross-forum flamewar is only going to get you banned from both forums...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Heat and maybe staying out of the kitchen springs to mind.
    Let them rant& rave over on A&P about us "Bambi killers",and we stay on our side of the fence.Hopefully but doubtfully,this might be reciprocated.??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Yes but not the one that wants an electric fence for a cat!!

the electric fence was my suggestion... and a fence can slao be just a tape, to go acrodd the top of the wall to stop the buggers from getting up there.

i hadn't thought of a catapult though, what a good tip. Would it work on horny roaming dogs too ?

Advertisement