Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

1jcdub wrote: »
    Bought myself a Garmin Edge 500 bundle ( black & red). Looking forward to getting lots of data make some improvements to my cycling over the summer!

Delighted, you got the correct colour. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Just bought a Hoy Fiorenzuola track bike for £350! Some chap bought it a few weeks ago for £750, rode it 10 miles and realised he was afraid of a fixed gear bike with no brakes in London city....and succumbed to my ferocious barganing!

Was hoping to try and pick something up for £200-250 but couldn't say no to this as it's significantly better than anything I could get new for 3 times my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Colm you go through bikes like Don Juan went through women! You both ride loads and then get rid of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

After watching the Biking Blitz in Derroura rather than taking part due to an injury I decided that I needed some gears.
    Some browsing later and I'm poorer to the tune of an Alfine 8 and soon the debit card is gonna be reluctantly lifting it's skirt atop the counter to the drunken cheers of ZTR Crest rim, spokes, Ardent 2.4 & tubless kit down the LBS.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

campagnolo-zonda-wheels.jpg

Campag Zondas €320 delivered from swimcyclerun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ordered this frame on Saturday with a 105 group. That group is going on my new Cannodale synapse and I'll be building this with a Sram Force 22 and I'm thinking 3T kit. Need to decide on a saddle and a 11 speed compatible wheelset. Thinking just of Fulcrum 5's as a temp measure but I'm tempted to blow the budget and get something fancier.

CBPXRT57ULT_P2.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ordered some gear off Ribble on Friday, new Veloce rear derailleur and chain plus some small bits. Arrived Monday afternoon. Seriously impressed with the delivery time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ryath wrote: »
    Ordered this frame on Saturday with a 105 group. That group is going on my new Cannodale synapse and I'll be building this with a Sram Force 22 and I'm thinking 3T kit. Need to decide on a saddle and a 11 speed compatible wheelset. Thinking just of Fulcrum 5's as a temp measure but I'm tempted to blow the budget and get something fancier.

CBPXRT57ULT_P2.jpg

is that the pro carbon? did you get a deal on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

godtabh wrote: »

Looks like the rt57 to me

godtabh wrote: »

Nope Grassey is right RT57. I have a pro carbon already though.
    http://planetxireland.com/products-page/bikes/planet-x-rt-57-shimano-105-road-bike-2/
    Went with the 105 option for €1300 you can get it with ultegra 11 speed for €1500. It's well worth the extra if you use shimano.

I already had bought a Force22 groupset that I was going to put on my Pro carbon and move my Sram rival to the new winter bike but I reckon this is a better option.

I'm not taking the wheels so I got a bit of it. Working out a good bit cheaper than if I bought the frameset and 105 group separately and I'll have a finishing kit and saddle that I'm sure I'll reuse on something else in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What were they like about chopping/changing parts on? I enquired about the pro carbon with a 105 groupset and they said they couldnt do it.

Their not chopping out parts I'm taking the bike unbuilt and I'm not taking the wheels. Don't think they have much leeway on the build on the cheaper options. They essentially get the bike as an unbuilt kit from the uk so they don't have many options to customize it. They would allow some option's on the finishing kit and saddle

Don't think the they have ever offered the Pro carbon with 105 or not recently anyway.
    They are the same price for the Pro carbon with Sram rival and ultegra 11 speed. The ultega is the better value if you don't have a preference for Sram. I'd personally spend the extra on the RT57 with ultegra. You get the full groupset and what I'm hoping is better frame. It certainly looks prettier.
    I really like my pro carbon and I'm still keeping it. Will probably still be my bike that gets the most use I'll train on it and save the RT57 for racing and fairweather spins.

Just trying to decide now on wheels options are I think zonda's, kysrium elites, hand builts or maybe a set of farsport carbon clinchers. I am tempted to blow the budget though and get a set of kysrium or cosmic carbone slr's from germany for €950-€1000. I'd be terrified of smashing them in a race though and I'm leaning towards buying or getting them built from a LBS which would definitely push them over budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

The second half of this pair arrived by post today and I am going to make some use for them in the coming weeks :).

12934932505_e64f777418_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Ryath wrote: »
    Nope Grassey is right RT57. I have a pro carbon already though.
    http://planetxireland.com/products-page/bikes/planet-x-rt-57-shimano-105-road-bike-2/
    Went with the 105 option for €1300 you can get it with ultegra 11 speed for €1500. It's well worth the extra if you use shimano.

I already had bought a Force22 groupset that I was going to put on my Pro carbon and move my Sram rival to the new winter bike but I reckon this is a better option.

I'm not taking the wheels so I got a bit of it. Working out a good bit cheaper than if I bought the frameset and 105 group separately and I'll have a finishing kit and saddle that I'm sure I'll reuse on something else in the near future.

Good work, did they take much off as I'd be looking to buy without the wheels also?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

yis do know that they are much faster with wheels, right?

lennymc wrote: »
    yis do know that they are much faster with wheels, right?

After those hills on Navan I figured i'd be lighter without wheels?!

After those hills on Navan I figured i'd be lighter without wheels?!

and you wouldnt get punctures

lennymc wrote: »
    and you wouldnt get punctures

Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Assembled! :-)

cdf.jpg

I was quite sceptical, but after 1st ride I can already tell that 725 steel rides sooo smoooth :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

You have me excited with your build, my genesis is due tomorrow:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Put a dent in the card earlier and ordered this!
    http://planetxireland.com/products-page/bikes/planet-x-rt-57-ultegra-spec/
    Should be here in about three weeks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Scrappy600 wrote: »

Make sure to show us pics when she arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Got this recently, first time in use today.

It must be the least fancy item purchased on the thread :).

13035598694_c21e25169b_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Make sure to show us pics when she arrives!

I'll be whoring pictures of it right left and centre have no fear!

Bought a new set of carbon tubs, tub tyres, spokes, a mask, chain, cassette, plus some other stuff I cant even remember. I'll throw up a picture of the wheels when I get them. Expensive month. On the plus side, new stuff is good.

What wheels did you you go for lenny? Got a set of zondas on order from swimcyclerun but still feeling the desire for some deep sections. Debating just getting some Planetx no logo carbon tubs next they drop in price.

a set of tubs from carbonzone. Guy in the club has a set and has had no problems with them so I figured Id give them a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Gulp. Trigger pulled.

orca_black_5.jpg

The nagging feeling of guilt about spending that amount of money on a bike has all of a sudden disappeared.

IMG_1618.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Scrappy600 wrote: »

Make sure the spec you bought is the same spec your leaving the shop with,
    Pot luck in athlone.
    Mine supposed to be SRAM rival all round.
    FSA chain set, PX brake calipers etc etc.
    So far so good though.
    Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

@Seweryn Where did you buy the DA grease? Heard it's good stuff.

Speaking of buying things, you've seen the new frame and it's currently running 50mm DA 7850 wheels. I've also got 50mm Planet X no logo wheels for the stealth look. While trawling the interweb I came across some FFWD F6R wheels in green.

Too much green?
    73828_00_c.jpgth_c823e28c-0106-4656-938a-ab83cbfbbe4e.jpgth_DSC_0016-1.jpg

Advertisement