Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Nah, just take the decals off and get a Lidl sticker on there

She'd never fall for that one :) Would ya, LDB?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Raam wrote: »
    If your missus ain't into bikes you can disguise the cost of some items, however, when she is into them, that's a non-runner. There's no way to disguise Zipps as "wha? these aul things? 30 quid luv"

Legend :D

I think my "best" 'untruth' like that is for all my boards kit.
    She was giving out saying I didn't need more gear....which is wrong :eek:....and where did the boards kit come from, so I told her that we were all wearing it for the WW200 (sorta true) and that it was the sponsor on the back who paid for it (complete 'untruth'). Now I only did that as I'd just got a giving out to over my new pedals & shoes the day before ;)

Oh Raam I think you definitely need the Cosmic Carbones, I thought I saw you eh....the other day...and you bike doesn't look cool enough without them. Definitely need to get them.

lafors wrote: »
    Oh Raam I think you definitely need the Cosmic Carbones, I thought I saw you eh....the other day...and you bike doesn't look cool enough without them. Definitely need to get them.

Sweet. I'm gonna need a new Dura Ace cassette to go with them, aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

She'd never fall for that one :) Would ya, LDB?

Just buy two sets! You'd even get a bulk discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anything carbon fibre can be dismissed with "I got the plastic one because it was better value".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I was in Cycleways earlier and couldn't find anything I needed wanted.

So I bought a Cateye Strada computer to stick on my fixie as it matched my bike (a nice white one) along with some sports beans and energy drink.

That's €80 less in the bank:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Lumen wrote: »
    I feel dizzy now.

Holy Jebus Crisps Allfryday:eek:

That Colnago is just a pure ride. I think I've just found my next road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I am currently waiting on orders from wiggle and total cycling. Small orders, just bits and bobs.

Did I need any of it? Nope.

Also, most of my laundry these days goes on the "delicate wash". I'm thinking about converting my entire wardrobe to cycling gear to make washing easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

I find the bits and bobs do add up a bit too, don't they?

I go on to buy a new chain, but by the time I'm checking out my shopping list consists of -

3 pack of chains
    New cassette
    Replacement jockey wheels
    Chain lube
    2 pairs disc brake pads
    Muc-off
    etc.

And I've got a pair of custom wheels and brake upgrades saved to my wishlist...

And I've got a pair of custom wheels and brake upgrades saved to my wishlist...

Get them the hell off the wishlist and into the basket and click that order button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

unionman wrote: »
    Holy Jebus Crisps Allfryday:eek:

That Colnago is just a pure ride. I think I've just found my next road bike.

+1

Put this beside it and then your rocking.... drool:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dr Rod Doom

Get them the hell off the wishlist and into the basket and click that order button.

Ah, it was a hypothetical situation - I've already got the wheels off the Wishlist and on to my bike (Chris King hubs, mmmmmmm).

Although I haven't gotten round to taking those brakes off it yet....

(My credit card just whimpered)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

This is what i bought last weekend (LBS)

Giant defy 4
    BBB 9 odometer
    Helmet
    Cage & bottle
    BBB bag
    Spare tube
    Tyre Leavers
    mini pump attached to bike

Midweek i added from wiggle:

glassses with 3* interchangable lenses
    2 * padded shorts

This what im thinking i need now:

track pump
    2* bike locks
    jersey
    possibly cycling shoes

how important/ necessary are cycling shoes,im just wearing regular runners and putting my foot into one of the cages (are they called toe clips).

PS i forgot i should really get a puncture repair kit too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

kennyb3 wrote: »
    how important/ necessary are cycling shoes,im just wearing regular runners and putting my foot into one of the cages (are they called toe clips).

Pretty key. Runners are designed to cushion impact - on a bike they tend to absorb energy you'd be putting into the down stroke. Also, shoes and cleats allow you to 'pull' up when pedalling - this can be done to some extent when in the straps in your runners but not as effectively imho

Of course if you're just enjoying a new bike or getting back some fitness then its not something to worry to much about.

With shoes, you'll need cleats, and pedals. Its all about the bling in this thread though so ... forget what I said above and order yourself a pair of SIDI's finest carbon shoes NOW! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

This what im thinking i need now:

track pump
    2* bike locks
    jersey
    possibly cycling shoes

PS i forgot i should really get a puncture repair kit too

Track Pump - Yes
    2* bike locks - Make it 3, 1 chain, 1 cable, 1 ulock
    jersey - Yep, but you need the matching bib shorts
    possibly cycling shoes - more like definitely need them....and don't forget the pedals for them

Don't buy a puncture repair kit, just buy a few spare tubes and a set of tire levers.....and if you buy them then you need a saddle bag, oh and a small bike tool kit (similar to a swiss army knife).

could anyone recommend shoes, pedals and cleats then to go with my defy 4?

also is buying locks over the internet stupid? as regards the weight and bulk

give us a budget before we blow your credit card!

Oooohh! Not a smart idea. Do yourself a favour and limit the damage by supplementing that question with "...my budget is xxx"

SIDI Genius 5, always bargains to be had on chainreaction. Pedals are really down to personal preference. I suppose Look would be a good starter pedal, a lot of people find Shimano pedals a bit unforgiving as the platform doesn't allow any pronation of the foot which is part of its natural movement.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

prowhatnow?

el tonto wrote: »
    prowhatnow?

the inward rotation of your foot. It doesn't really matter, buy either look, shimano or time, they are all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Speaking of recommendations,I'm heading north to Dublin tommorrow in search of new shoes.Can anyone enlighten me on any good shops with good offers on shoes?
    Budget: in and around 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    the inward rotation of your foot. It doesn't really matter, buy either look, shimano or time, they are all good.

Speedplays? ISTR Tonto saying they were crap, but don't recall why.

If you are willing to order online:

SIDI Genius 5.5

Lumen wrote: »
    Speedplays? ISTR Tonto saying they were crap, but don't recall why.

I didn't include speedplays because I thought they were extremely expensive (total package).

I've never used anything except my Shimano pedals so I'm clearly not the best person to be asking. I think for entry level, first time on cleats I would probably go for Looks.

well i guess around €200, cheaper if possible but at same time dont want false economy/buying something ridiculously cheap and shabby and stupid looking. will buy online too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I also ordered 2 pairs of shorts from these guys

also thinking the look keo easy pedal and maybe the Exustar BLK10 Look Keo Cleats???

by the way apologies for going off topic/hijacking the thread, just dont know if all these can be used together and are ideal etc. its all abit confusing to this newbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Pronation is quite an important issue in running I believe. Of lesser importance relatively in cycling AFAIK.

Advertisement