Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession..are we over the worst

Options

Comments

graw wrote: »
    If your serious about talking about the recession, please make your way to the economics forum! ;)

'Tis a bit crowded in there with bar room experts. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

junkyard wrote: »
    You think your bad, I spent the last 22 years working my @rse off in the real world to see it all go down the toilet thanks to bad management by Fianna Failure, i'm living at the moment by selling off my assets at a fraction of what they're worth just to survive!!! The system in this county is a joke and now impossible to make money here unless your dealing in drugs or robbing people.:mad:

Really sorry to hear that :( I wish you all the best and hope things turn around for you.I am barely making my bills now and i don't see anyone in government having that problem:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

shqipshume wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that :( I wish you all the best and hope things turn around for you.I am barely making my bills now and i don't see anyone in government having that problem:mad:

Its a new form of democracy.
    Government of the government, by the government, for the government.

Its a new form of democracy.
    Government of the government, by the government, for the government.

Yeah to be honest it was always like that with fianna fail, but people were so caught up in working hard and forgetting they had lives outside of money didnt spot it till to late.

I rang and got the secretary :oHad a few words and asked her to take down my grievances towards our finance minister hehe:D
    But you know she didn't pass it on :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

There is a feedback form on the main FF website. I know that this used to be checked and feedback was passed on some years ago... but Id say that this was because they knew they had a chance of re-election if they delivered on reasonable suggestions from the public.

Today, there is way too much anger out there, there is far too much to try to put right in too short a space of time. The Ryan report has delivered a late but potentialally devastating body blow to the FF party.

People who have had no previous knowledge or interest in politics, are now more informed as to how the country really has been run. Big business runs shoulder to shoulder with government.

This is the reason why the business community has such influence on the political direction of a country. Because of this, business people are able to get away with crimes punishable by law. Big businesses can get away with crimes such as toxic waste dumping, tax evasion, fraud, bribery, importation of contraband etc.

These businesses contribute large amounts of money for the campaigns of politicians. They give extravagant gifts and tokens. They spend a lot of money to lobby for laws to be passed; laws that would favor their businesses. A lot of people in high government positions make so much money from these businesses that they choose to turn a deaf ear and blind eyes to the wrongdoings of these businesses. While it is true that the business community is important to the government and the country, businesses should not be above the law.

FF have failed to protect the country from the banks, and have failed miserably to protect the people from the church. An Tainiste was spotted doing a church gate collection two weeks ago.... I JOKE YOU NOT!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Nah, they're just telling us there's a light at the end of the tunnel so we won't vote for the oposition and 'rock the boat' so to speak..

xzanti wrote: »
    Nah, they're just telling us there's a light at the end of the tunnel so we won't vote for the oposition and 'rock the boat' so to speak..

They're saying theres light at the end of tunnel, green shoots etc etc. in a bid to try to get people spending again...and its not working. The people are all mortgage slaves now, the bank gets everything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Most economists see recession ending this year
    NABE survey shows they see tepid recovery and mounting unemployment

updated 8:21 a.m. ET May 27, 2009
    WASHINGTON - More than 90 percent of economists predict the recession will end this year, although the recovery is likely to be bumpy.

That assessment came from leading forecasters in a survey by the National Association for Business Economics to be released Wednesday. It is generally in line with the outlook from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues.

About 74 percent of the forecasters expect the recession — which started in December 2007 and is the longest since World War II — to end in the third quarter. Another 19 percent predict the turning point will come in the final three months of this year, and the remaining 7 percent believe the recession will end in the first quarter of 2010.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30950441

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

They're saying theres light at the end of tunnel, green shoots etc etc. in a bid to try to get people spending again...and its not working. The people are all mortgage slaves now, the bank gets everything :pac:

If I hear that LOB "green shoots" again I'll scream :eek:

One of the most startling things of the economic downturn is people are now only starting to look for value / query prices, I mean WTF was going for the last few years :confused: People handing out their cash without blinking like it was jax roll 5 for 50 style from Moore St.

Did it really take a depression to kick in for people to cop the fcuk on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Sizzler wrote: »
    Did it really take a depression to kick in for people to cop the fcuk on?
    It seems so unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Degsy wrote: »
    The govt is robbing peter to pay paul..they've made at least 1.8 billion as a result of the pension levy alone.
    What have they done with the cash?
    fcucking wasted it,thats what.

Paid Public Sector wages with it!

Well it is AH.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Cown said it was over and i believe him.

Im going to vote fianna fail in all the local elections as everything is better and they did it in time for the local elections.

Im going to vote fianna fail in all the local elections as everything is better and they did it in time for the local elections.

ok... define 'everything'

secondly.... they did what in time for the local elections?

You sound very young if you dont mind me saying?

K-9 wrote: »
    Paid Public Sector wages with it!

Well it is AH.

Why, all of a sudden, did they need an extra 1.8 billion to pay public sector workers? How have the government been paying them all along? What was the sudden need for 1.8 billion...

simple, it was to pay the banks gambling bill (the immediate one that is, lots more to come)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Recession so bad you had to pawn your sarcasm detector?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Senna wrote: »
    If you're in a bunker only eating beans, thrust me, no ones coming near you.:D

If I had to choose whether to thrust the guy eating **** loads of beans or the guy not, then the choice is obvious... but I don't swing that way and tbh, it's kinda desperate to be looking for that in After Hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Degsy wrote: »
    I doubt it.
    I cant take anymore budgets though..down 400 quid a month since march.

Sad to say, your going to be down a lot more by this time next year.
    New carbon tax, new household tax...

It ain't over yet sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Biggins wrote: »
    Sad to say, your going to be down a lot more by this time next year.
    New carbon tax, new household tax...

It ain't over yet sadly.

Become homeless.

You'll be minted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Mabe sarcastic smiles were needed. I didnt think they were though. :D

ok... I fell for that one... you sounded convincing by the way, I dont want this to sound bad.... I was listening to an interview on Newstalk yesterday and there was a young lad with Downs Syndrome interviewed, he explained why he was going to vote Finna Gael and Labour.. maybe thats why I didnt hear the sarcasm in your post :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why, all of a sudden, did they need an extra 1.8 billion to pay public sector workers? How have the government been paying them all along? What was the sudden need for 1.8 billion...

simple, it was to pay the banks gambling bill (the immediate one that is, lots more to come)

LOL, With the expected €49 Billion tax revenues last year.

It's now €34 Billion. Do the Maths when PS Pay takes up €20 Billion of it!

Now you see why they needed it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Unfortunately the worst is far from over, I think what we're experiencing at the moment is the calm before the storm..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

i predict we'll hit rock bottom when they cut the doel in half

Bottom will be hit when it's cheaper to shop south of the border!

I heard mumblings latley regarding the dole decreases, and it looks like it will definatley happen before the year is out. It could drop to €165. I have a friend who is a community welfare officer. 2 out of 5 cases recently, of people looking to claim benefit are from the North. Very few have been turned down as there is no law against claiming in the South if you live here... apparently.

Im not far from the border, and many things in the south are less expensive at the moment. Petrol has been cheaper for a long time, footwear seems cheaper in the south; Things like fruit and veg were always cheaper in the north, now theyre coming nearer our price in the south.

Are you mad:eek: sorry you are entitled to your own vote.:D I believe they are going and so do they :D

b12mearse wrote: »
    i predict we'll hit rock bottom when they cut the doel in half

Havent they said that already,That the dole is going to be cut by half?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

They're going to cut the bejaysus out of foreign aid too..that ought to please the stinking hippies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

no where reeks as badly as Copper Face Jacks, if you walk past the main door during the day... back to your point, Ireland will become a 'JEEP' economy... and by that I dont mean a 4x4 yummy mummy BMW land cruiser, I mean Just Enough Essential Parts... and to be honest, if we can salvage that much, we will be doing well. Essential being, the dept of heath, the dept of justice (to oversee the Gardai and the courts), the dept of the environment (if we are to kick off this green economy initiative), and the dept of the marine.. because at this stage, I cant see what else Ireland can offer other than green energy, and port access for trans Atlantic shipping. Im trying not to be pessemistic here :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

new_tax_form_20091.jpg?w=400&h=244

Advertisement