Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession..are we over the worst

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

By next winter my bunker in the forest will be built. I will then make my stand with the shotgun and a few thousand tins of beans.

And dont come knockin or you will find yourself at the business end of the said shotgun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

That's a lot of alcohol Degsy, is there something on your mind? Do you wanna talk about it?
    Drank the lot so,no ,i dont wanna tal about it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Degsy viewpost.gif
    The govt is robbing peter to pay paul..they've made at least 1.8 billion as a result of the pension levy alone.
    What have they done with the cash?
    fcucking wasted it,thats what.

They didnt waste it... they handed it all straight to the banks to cover the massive losses the banks have incurred on the property roulette wheel... and this is no word of a lie.

There is rumour of another mini budget before December's budget... and it is also rumoured that the government will have to go after people's savings in order to cover the bank's gambling bills.. (I heard this from a reputable source)

Further more, if the church write a cheque to cover impending abuse comensation, the cheque will go straight to the government, who will dole it out as THEY SEE FIT, and give the rest of it to the banks (an unexpected little windfall for the government in the form of a cheque from the vatican)... this possability was discussed on radio 1 this morning.

Meanwhile they will continue to lie to the public while remaining on the payroll of the banks, and EU industrialists to whom they award government contracts to.

While on a trade mission to the UAE a month ago, a senior government official upgraded their hotel to a suite in a neighbouring hotel that cost €800 per night, from the one they had for €400 per night... reason? the cheaper hotel had no spa or leisure facilities... FACT

So no opinions then?? Sorry for interrupting Play Station... its no fking wonder the public are being EASILY walked on and lied to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The american dollar collapse is inevitable at some point. So if you live in america this is only the start of a biblical nosedive. Though for us here in europe, the euro is stable enough (and more importantly as its not the international monetary standard that the new power economies are so keen on getting rid of), so we won't get much worse.
    We're close to the bottom.
    Things aren't gonna get any much worse.

Though what matters more is how long its gonna take for Ireland to recover back. And from the current state of things it looks nothing closer than a decade or maybe even two.
    Which means this recession will continue on for a long time. The economy will find its bottom point. People will leave Ireland. Ireland is gonna transform back into the pre-celtic tiger impoverished country. And things will become grey and quite once again for Ireland.

• Advertisement

I agree with some of the above, in so far as this should not be referred to as a recession, but as 'Irelands new ecconomic state'... this recession should be thought of as a new climate... IF we are to return to the boom era, or anything close to it, a 'wild card' discovery is go to have to be made.

Cold Fusion for example, or something comparable to the discovery of electricity. And its going to have to be developed here also... green energy is the way forward, but its going to be difficult to be innovaters as there are alot of advancements being made in many other countries who have contributed to research and are quite a ways ahead in terms of green energy development.

A resource that is unique to Ireland is whats needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

People are scared ****less cos of the news and the radio and matt ****ing cooper and his
    drive time depressorama.

The opposite scale is the old "yerra sure we'll be grand" mentality thats flooding through the country.

I dunno whats going to happen. I'm going month by month at the moment. At least I've electric picnic to look forward to.

Cold Fusion for example, or something comparable to the discovery of electricity. And its going to have to be developed here also... green energy is the way forward, but its going to be difficult to be innovaters as there are alot of advancements being made in many other countries who have contributed to research and are quite a ways ahead in terms of green energy development.

A resource that is unique to Ireland is whats needed.

Ireland has an excellent resources for developing green energy.
    Ireland gets lots of winds from the atlantic and even has a huge coast line for the development of wave energy.

Actually its one of my things to do in the future, to start a business developing green energy.

Though what Ireland lacks is a skilled force. People just don't seem to wanna study anymore. They just wanna take up some job to make their living. We need more highly educated and skilled people in Ireland who, when given the resources can work hard at developing these technologies.

No business person wants to invest in such high risk projects either. They wanna spend their money on more stable investments like property and shares or businesses they know are bout to produce a profit.
    For me its more of a no risk, no game thing!

People are becoming increasingly lazy and lack the motivation to step up and do anything. They just wanna hang around and wait for the government to sort it out for them. They need to realise the government can't solve this. Infact all the government is doing is making things worse. Markets sort themselves out over time and all we have to do/can do is hold tight and ride out this recession. People need to realise it. All the positive market news is just speculation to make us feel better. We need to instead be preparing for the bad times to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Caoimhín wrote: »
    By next winter my bunker in the forest will be built. I will then make my stand with the shotgun and a few thousand tins of beans.

And dont come knockin or you will find yourself at the business end of the said shotgun.

If you're in a bunker only eating beans, thrust me, no ones coming near you.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Senna wrote: »
    If you're in a bunker only eating beans, thrust me, no ones coming near you.:D

Nice one Senna, now i can add poison gas to my WMDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Though what Ireland lacks is a skilled force. People just don't seem to wanna study anymore. They just wanna take up some job to make their living. We need more highly educated and skilled people in Ireland who, when given the resources can work hard at developing these technologies.

No business person wants to invest in such high risk projects either. They wanna spend their money on more stable investments like property and shares or businesses they know are bout to produce a profit.
    For me its more of a no risk, no game thing!
    Are you actually being serious?

^got anything better to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

For a start, there were a lot of highly educated people who finished college last year and have yet to find jobs, and I'm sure plenty more will follow this year. Many of whom wish they worked instead of spending 3/4 years in education to find that the industry doesn't want them any more.

Dunno what scale of property you are referring to, but most at the lower-end (i.e. landlords) that I know of want to sell their houses and get out of leasing, but can't. Also look at the many offices/hotels/shopping centres in construction around the country where building progress has ceased

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When the recession is over in the rest of the world, 98% of the Irish population will leave the country. Unfortunately, this will mean that the remaining 2% will be taxed at 99% on their incomes to cover the shortfall. There will also be a 1% levy.

The upside is that we'll only have to eat our own sh1t to survive, and not anybody else's.

For a start, there were a lot of highly educated people who finished college last year and have yet to find jobs, and I'm sure plenty more will follow this year. Many of whom wish they worked instead of spending 3/4 years in education to find that the industry doesn't want them any more.

Dunno what scale of property you are referring to, but most at the lower-end (i.e. landlords) that I know of want to sell their houses and get out of leasing, but can't

But now not many students are too serious about getting a good proper professional degree. Most wanna pass school and get working.

I was speaking of a general trend over the past few years (decade?) in businesses.
    Its only the local businesses (existing and new ones) that can help Ireland out of the recession. The government can't do anything. What Ireland needs is an industry. The economic tables have turned. The West aren't the consumers anymore. The "east" has found a market for its industry within itself. Now we are starting to play catch up and for us to do that we need local industries for ourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

But now not many students are too serious about getting a good proper professional degree. Most wanna pass school and get working.
    That was the case during the good times, when lots of people left school before doing their Leaving Certs and walked straight into well-paying jobs on sites and the like. Now that those jobs are gone, more people will go back to education.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Once the potato crop doesn't fail we'll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

70,000 third-level students graduating next month and no jobs - yes, the worst is over :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Degsy wrote: »
    The govt is robbing peter to pay paul..they've made at least 1.8 billion as a result of the pension levy alone.

Paid the dole with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

im praying we're bottoming out now.i feel like i've spent 3 years working my arse off in college for nothing; i can barely get hrs in my old part time job,never mind start my proper career at the min. i am a lot better off than other people though,with no rent or mortgage or dependants!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Degsy viewpost.gif

They didnt waste it... they handed it all straight to the banks to cover the massive losses the banks have incurred on the property roulette wheel... and this is no word of a lie.

There is rumour of another mini budget before December's budget... and it is also rumoured that the government will have to go after people's savings in order to cover the bank's gambling bills.. (I heard this from a reputable source)

Further more, if the church write a cheque to cover impending abuse comensation, the cheque will go straight to the government, who will dole it out as THEY SEE FIT, and give the rest of it to the banks (an unexpected little windfall for the government in the form of a cheque from the vatican)... this possability was discussed on radio 1 this morning.

Meanwhile they will continue to lie to the public while remaining on the payroll of the banks, and EU industrialists to whom they award government contracts to.

While on a trade mission to the UAE a month ago, a senior government official upgraded their hotel to a suite in a neighbouring hotel that cost €800 per night, from the one they had for €400 per night... reason? the cheaper hotel had no spa or leisure facilities... FACT

Totally agree with what you wrote,bunch of money grabbing thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

That's probably not going to happen so.

Maybe everyone can take turns sending you daily sun pictures...Just so ya can share the short lived experience;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Soby wrote: »
    Maybe everyone can take turns sending you daily sun pictures...Just so ya can share the short lived experience;)

I see the outside regularly from my pic of the day addon to my igoogle homepage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

im praying we're bottoming out now.i feel like i've spent 3 years working my arse off in college for nothing; i can barely get hrs in my old part time job,never mind start my proper career at the min. i am a lot better off than other people though,with no rent or mortgage or dependants!
    You think your bad, I spent the last 22 years working my @rse off in the real world to see it all go down the toilet thanks to bad management by Fianna Failure, i'm living at the moment by selling off my assets at a fraction of what they're worth just to survive!!! The system in this county is a joke and now impossible to make money here unless your dealing in drugs or robbing people.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. We haven't even gotten to the 'eating our dead' stage yet.
    After that though, it's plain sailing.

Gentle bit of advice. A sign that we are almost at the "eating our dead" stage is when we are eating dogs and fighting over fresh water. Mark my words . . . we are focked !

Thanks Shqipsime... it dawned on me yesterday... the sudden realisation of what REALLY is going on. My post is slightly mixed up with the post I was responding to originally... I will edit it and post it again below this message. I think people need to understand this more clearly... here goes

Degsy wrote: »

(reply to Degsy's post)

Caoimhín wrote: »

I don't think you'll be needing the shotgun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 graw

If your serious about talking about the recession, please make your way to the economics forum! ;)

• Advertisement

Are we over the worst!

I don't think so, there is a sizeable section of the population up to their eyeballs in debt that will take at least a decade to repay, they will have little disposable income to spend in the real economy so there will be little chance of any pickup in employment there.

While property prices stay at unrealistically high levels, requiring high incomes to service the mortgages on them either directly as "homeowners" (mortgage slaves) or as tenants (paying someone elses mortgage) there is little chance of any competative manufacturing industries establishing here.

On the plus side, rents are falling back to more sensible levels (forced down by a mass exodus of foreigners).

Every country needs "indians" as well as "chiefs" having a highly educated workforce doesn't guarantee (real) wealth, costs need to be low enough for the less educated to earn a living wage without having to live in a hovel.

If families could have a decent standard of living on a single income, unemployment will drop substancialy(SP?) as the second earner in many families will be able to give up work and NOT need the dole.

The real hit in this recession will be when the western economy starts to grow (Germany, France etc) the ECB raises interest rates and mortgage repayments start to shoot up also there are many on short term teaser rates that will also come to the end of the "honeymoon period" and these people will have shock when it goes back to a standard variable rate.

Advertisement