Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Gods existence was proven...

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm non-Christian but otherwise religious and I'd convert.
    robindch wrote: »

- robin (removing mod's hat again and chucking it behind the sofa).

But it's such a pretty hat. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I don't understand all this worship talk to be honest. There's nothing real or imagined that is in any way worthy of worship.

Sure, if it turned out god (which one :confused: ) was real, there'd be no more atheists. But there's not a chance in hell (probably then my future home) that I would even for a second consider worshiping it. The very thought is ridiculuous to me.

Hell, even if I tried this all seeing all knowing earthquake making monstrosity would see through it so there'd be little point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

None of the answers fit my viewpoint. If "God" was proved to exist ... it would lead to more questions, it would only be the start of the investigation. Questions such as "what is it?" and "what is it good for?" I'm not convinced that any real "God" would know or care that we are here, never mind expect us to worship him/her. Or, if "God" has needs, what would mere words do to help it?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As an alatrist I don't believe in god and if a god was proven, I would not worship it. Especially the christian god, sounds like a scumbag to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I'm an atheist/agnostic and it wouldn't change a thing.
    MrPudding wrote: »
    I find this interesting. I understand what you are saying. But would it be enough? I know he seems to like getting his ass kissed, but he also seems to need people to love him and believe that he is good. Are you saying that everything you think would change?

This is where I think there is a big problem though. I reckon a lot of atheists would be screwed. This god is supposed to know everything. I reckon there would be a large number of atheist that may pay lip service but deep down think this god is a cnut.

At the moment I don't really hate god, how can one hate something that does not exist? But if it were to suddenly appear and go "hey guys" How's it goin'. Miss me?" I really would hate it.

MrP

Well let's put it this way: currently I believe in evolution but if a scientist came along tomorrow with another theory which could be absolutely proven, I would accept it with open arms and buy all new science books with this theory included. I would not resent the fact that what I had believed was wrong

Now, the god of the bible claims to have a monopoly on morality, everything he does is infinitely good because he is perfect. If this particular god was absolutely proven, I'd have to be pretty arrogant to say that he's wrong and my morality is better. So I wouldn't be paying lip service, I would accept that I had been wrong all these years and accept his morality whether it fits with what I think or not. After all he's the perfect being

All the above assumes that it's the god of the bible being proven and therefore the bible being proven. If it was a generic creator type god that was proven I'd wait to find out what it actually wanted before accepting one particular dogma over another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

To be perfectly honest I don't know if anything would convince me of God's existence. I'd be more inclined to think it was an elaborate trick by a race of evil super-intelligent aliens* who want to lure us into a false sense of security and steal our precious bodily fluids!

*that or drunken hyper-intelligent alien frat boys who want to play a prank on a planet of dumbdumbs**

**dumbdumbs referring to the human race, not anyone in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Well let's put it this way: currently I believe in evolution but if a scientist came along tomorrow with another theory which could be absolutely proven, I would accept it with open arms and buy all new science books with this theory included. I would not resent the fact that what I had believed was wrong

I would be a bit annoyed with myself for spending so much time/energy/money pursuing and defending something which turned out to be wrong. I'd still accept it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Nevore wrote: »
    If his existence was proven, by whatever means, would you worship him?
    Your poll is prefaced with a "worship" statement?

If he/she/it were in fact God, why would they want or otherwise require worship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

The poll is flawed completely.

If his existence was proven, by whatever means, would you worship him?
    I'm a Christian and of course I would!
    I'm a Christian and just to be perverse, I'd stop...
    I'm an atheist/agnostic but that would convert me.
    I'm non-Christian but otherwise religious and would remain so.

Ok it says "im an atheist" you cannot be "atheist" if god is proven.
    An atheist by definition is somebody who does not believe in a god. Just because I do not worship god does not make me an athiest.
    If god was demonstrably real then I would in fact "believe" in him, although belief goes out the window when proof comes into play because i would "know" he is real.
    The problem is the ignorance to the differences between belief and worship, like the kids at my primary school and even today at the age of 16/17 still cant tell the difference between belief and worship.

actual conversation.

Me: I dont believe in god

Friend: of so you must believe in the devil

/facepalm

The truth of the matter is HE was the one that "believes" in the devil as he is the catholic. I, being an atheist believe in no such supernatural things.

My short answer is, I would no longer be an atheist, but no i would not worship god.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Mena wrote: »
    Sure, if it turned out god (which one :confused: ) was real, there'd be no more atheists. But there's not a chance in hell (probably then my future home) that I would even for a second consider worshiping it. The very thought is ridiculuous to me.

Really? Really?

Let's just clarify the situation:
    You must worship this entity or you will endure flaming agony for eternity.

Forever. Like, a hundred billion years of torment is nothing compared to eternity. You can't honestly said you'd choose that over bowing before God? Even if you'd be so unwise as to say yes, I think you'd come to regret your decision in moments, and if not moments then perhaps after fifty quintillion years of torture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If God was proven to exist byond doubt, Atheists and other non beliver types would poo in their pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Now, the god of the bible claims to have a monopoly on morality, everything he does is infinitely good because he is perfect. If this particular god was absolutely proven, I'd have to be pretty arrogant to say that he's wrong and my morality is better. So I wouldn't be paying lip service, I would accept that I had been wrong all these years and accept his morality whether it fits with what I think or not. After all he's the perfect being
    Ah, I see. I was not working from the "it exists and everything that everyone believes about it is true" but more from the "wow, it actually does exist. What an asshole" point of view.
    If God was proven to exist byond doubt, Atheists and other non beliver types would poo in their pants.
    In fairness, so would a lot of the believers.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

MrPudding wrote: »

In fairness, so would a lot of the believers.

MrP

Amen(:o) to that.

Zillah wrote: »
    Really? Really?

Let's just clarify the situation:
    You must worship this entity or you will endure flaming agony for eternity.

Forever. Like, a hundred billion years of torment is nothing compared to eternity. You can't honestly said you'd choose that over bowing before God? Even if you'd be so unwise as to say yes, I think you'd come to regret your decision in moments, and if not moments then perhaps after fifty quintillion years of torture.

Ah now come on Zillah, you're selectivly reading/quoting my posts. That may fly with "the others" mentality but I expected more from yourself. Here, I'll quote the bit you left out.
    Hell, even if I tried this all seeing all knowing earthquake making monstrosity would see through it so there'd be little point.

I could and would never worship anything, so it would be a fake gesture, and if this abomination they call god is as all knowing and all seeing as they made him up to be, then he'd see straight through it no?

Besides, the whole situation is too ridiculous to even imagine, and this from someone with an active imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I would obviously accept that he exists, but I couldn't worship a child-murderer.

Sorry if I'm being stubborn, but I have my principles.

I would obviously accept that he exists, but I couldn't worship a child-murderer.

Sorry if I'm being stubborn, but I have my principles.

But would you not say to yourself "he probably knows better than me, what with being the omnipotent creator of the universe"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I could and would never worship anything, so it would be a fake gesture, and if this abomination they call god is as all knowing and all seeing as they made him up to be, then he'd see straight through it no?
    I dunno. Any 'being' that demands worship on pain of eternal torture isn't overly concerned about how genuine that worship is. The only thing they are interested in is seeing the top of your head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

No it's hilarious because your brain is so illogical. To analogize for you

We surveyed 100 people and asked them would they rather be given 10 million euro, or play the lotto in the hope of winning 10 million euro.

You answered, play the lotto

Our survey says... EH EHHHHHHH

WTF? No you havent. But now people's spiritual beliefs is similar to doing a €4 quick pick on a saturday night?

By the same analogy, if I pray more does that increase the likelihood the a god exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I don't see why an omnipotent being would want or need to be worshiped. Seems rather bizarre tbh.

But would you not say to yourself "he probably knows better than me, what with being the omnipotent creator of the universe"?

Perhaps I am feeble-minded. But I cannot reconcile how killing children can be moral. Obviously God can, but that is why I would not want to be associated with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Perhaps I am feeble-minded. But I cannot reconcile how killing children can be moral. Obviously God can, but that is why I would not want to be associated with him.

The problem is that God should be more moral than us.

The idea that he would appear less moral than us but for some special unknown reason that we trust he has makes little sense to me.

The idea that a good omnipotent deity would do what is in the Old Testament is illogical. If it is determined that said deity exists the only conclusion left is that he isn't good, and therefore I would not worship him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Wouldn't change a thing for me. I don't believe in god and even if it was proven there was one i don't don't accept that there is any need to worship anything. Is your god really that vain that he/she /it needs to be worshipped?

toiletduck wrote: »
    I don't see why an omnipotent being would want or need to be worshiped. Seems rather bizarre tbh.
    I know, it is almost as it its existence was made up and the people that made it up applied human traits and needs to it. Weird.

MrP

I guess that is why it is a god and you are a feeble minded puny human, it knows why, amongst other things a decent human being can't reconcile, it is ok to murder children.

MrP

So even if the creator and source of all morality told you that it was moral, you wouldn't think that maybe you'd got the wrong idea?

If someone designed and built a machine of some kind would you come along and tell him you knew more about it and the way he thought it designed was wrong?

We're operating on the assumption that all of the claims of the bible are true remember.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So even if the creator and source of all morality told you that it was moral, you wouldn't think that maybe you'd got the wrong idea?

If someone designed and built a machine of some kind would you come along and tell him you knew more about it and the way he thought it designed was wrong?

We're operating on the assumption that all of the claims of the bible are true remember.
    They can't be true, it makes no sense that he is the 'source of morals', just a powerful being that created us.

It only makes sense to somebody that believes in objective morality and believes that whatever that being says goes, which makes no sense to me.

If killing children is moral, then call me immoral, Yahweh.

If he built that machine with the ability to perform life-saving surgery, and then told it to go on a killing spree, I would have a problem with that, yeah.

Assuming the claims of the bible being true, doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

They can't be true, it makes no sense that he is the 'source of morals', just a powerful being that created us.

It only makes sense to somebody that believes in objective morality and believes that whatever that being says goes, which makes no sense to me.

The title of thread is "If Gods existence was proven" so saying it can't be true is missing the point. Assume it is true for the sake of the thread
    If killing children is moral, then call me immoral, Yahweh.

If he built that machine with the ability to perform life-saving surgery, and then told it to go on a killing spree, I would have a problem with that, yeah.

What if he was an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, timeless supernatural creator of everything that exists, including morality? Are you saying you know better than such a being?

• Advertisement

Are you saying you know better than such a being?

Simply, yes.

Advertisement