Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Gods existence was proven...

Options
  • 26-05-2009 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Basically, I just finished a really interesting short story about a modern world where God was manifested on a regular basis. Angelic visitations, both Fallen and ... Loyal (?), glimpses of heaven and hell, miracles and so on and so forth.
    The basic premise that the existence of Jehovah was more or less indisputable.

What really interested me was an account of how even in the face of all this, there were still large groups of people who refused to worship, on moral grounds.

So, I'm wondering, as an atheist or otherwise, if Gods existence was proven (by whatever criteria it'd require for you), would you worship or turn away, do you think?

I'd like to think that I wouldn't be sufficiently cowed to back down on a position I arrived at through a lot of thought and introspection. I rejected the worship of God before I became atheist, ie: what I saw of the church, and the bible, and the world, was incompatible with my own internal moral standards. Actually flirted with some gnostic texts before rejecting the whole idea wholesale.

Edit: Poll there, I think I covered all the relevant povs. :)

If his existence was proven, by whatever means, would you worship him? 103 votes

I'm a Christian and of course I would!
    0%
    I'm a Christian and just to be perverse, I'd stop...
    14%
    donutheadhomerphilologosNewFrockTuesdayHPTSeoidSRFC90donmeisternorwegianwoodRelevantakaredtophokeypokeyDantesmk89TheKnowledgestiff kitten 15 votes
    I'm an atheist/agnostic but that would convert me.
    0%
    I'm an atheist/agnostic and it wouldn't change a thing.
    35%
    Ping Chow ChiHelixFractureLia_liaMatthewVIIGurgleshowrygnucondrasinkSam VimesComer1bogwalrusmickoneill30ValmontGhostInTheRuinsVertigo100hobochrisdeath1234567Amirani 37 votes
    I'm non-Christian but otherwise religious and I'd convert.
    49%
    GamblerSimiZombrexBeruthielMrPuddingRabiesWackerRedrocketMike 1972vibe666toxofpositronrobindchJesus1222stakeyMickerooTar.AldarionCerebralCortexyoyohellboy99 51 votes
    I'm non-Christian but otherwise religious and would remain so.
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

If a gods existence was proven it would be ridiculous to turn away.

It would be like maintainging that the sun revolves around the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Sean_K wrote: »
    If a gods existence was proven it would be ridiculous to turn away.

It would be like maintainging that the sun revolves around the earth.
    No, not quite. In this case, the person beleives in it's existence but for whatever reason doesn't beleive that the god in question deserves/is worthy etc of worship or obeisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd start a class action suit against him on behalf of those he should have taken care of a bit better than he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I would acknowledge him, but never worship him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im not sure there is a poll option for me. I used to believe in God, now I do not or at least I certainly believe no religion on earth is even close.

If God was proved, it would depend on what he wanted. If there is a God, I doubt he is so needy as to require us to worship him or accept Christ and repent for "sins" which we never actually commit ourselves.

It would all boil down to what God wants from us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

If you're talking about the Biblical God then you would only worship out of fear. That God is has a vindictive, contradictory personality. If you're talking about a being we would understand to be God, then it would depend on the nature of this "God".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

If god existed it would imply that he/she was a quantity that could be measured - especially if he/she was made manifest.

This universe has finite space and finite materials available. Therefore, there would be a limit on the entity of "god". Limitations defy the omnipotence claim.

Cutting a long story short it implies that god can be questioned. If said god answers these questions those answers are subject to analysis by those hearing them. We could, in effect, debate with god.

This means we could ask him/her to justify the things that he/she perpetrated (atrocities etc).

I doubt there is an answer that he/she could give that would satisfy many of us that it was justifiable to lie and murder in such a position.

Of course if there really were a God he or she could simply alter reality to make us believe anything we wanted (assuming the omnipotence bit again).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I would never bow down to such a tyrant! :mad:
    I say that now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Eh, this poll fails... there's no "You will receive force powers and a lightsaber if you worship him"

I'm open to the idea that a powerful God like being exists, heck I'd say most rational Atheists are. I'd worship an advanced Alien race if it would grant me immortality for 80 odd years of obeisance (what's a humans lifetime when compared with infinity)

Again, like all religions, it's all about returns and what the individual selfishly desires.

But in your scenario, the Atheists would be the equivalent of Creationists now, denying the existence of cold hard facts that are staring them in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I wouldn't worship him without a decent reason, but I woudn't deny his existence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

If god existed it would imply that he/she was a quantity that could be measured - especially if he/she was made manifest.

This universe has finite space and finite materials available. Therefore, there would be a limit on the entity of "god". Limitations defy the omnipotence claim.

Cutting a long story short it implies that god can be questioned. If said god answers these questions those answers are subject to analysis by those hearing them. We could, in effect, debate with god.

This means we could ask him/her to justify the things that he/she perpetrated (atrocities etc).

I doubt there is an answer that he/she could give that would satisfy many of us that it was justifiable to lie and murder in such a position.

Of course if there really were a God he or she could simply alter reality to make us believe anything we wanted (assuming the omnipotence bit again).

It's a hypothetical question. A thinking point. Not a literal scenario to be picked apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hagar wrote: »
    I'd start a class action suit against him on behalf of those he should have taken care of a bit better than he did.

18045-large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If "God" gave the population of this world an audience and explained why there is so much suffering in this world then I might worship him. I wouldn't worship a God that remained a loof and that didn't feel he had to explain himself to his lower beings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its a very ideallic question and one that would never come to fruition IMO. Nor would i want it to (as a Christian) as it undermines the premise of faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yeah, I mean the Christian God.

And no, it wouldn't put atheists in the position of Creationists. As is pretty explicit, his existence in the thought excercise is proven. The question I'm asking is whether or not you'd worship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Does Hell exist?

If no, then screw you God you're a jerk.

If yes, then I will fall to my knees and praise him in his glory and forcibly brain wash myself to accept Jesus Christ as my saviour. And I'll call anyone who is all like "No I won't do it on moral grounds" a total idiot for choosing to put themselves in agony for eternity. Nothing is worth that. Nothing.

Luckily the scenario is so absurd I'm barely even going to contemplate it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zillah wrote: »
    Luckily the scenario is so absurd I'm barely even going to contemplate it.
    You totally already contemplated it.

Dades wrote: »
    You totally already contemplated it.

Pwnt

Er, maybe I'm missing a joke here or something but I specifically said "barely contemplate", as in I took two or three seconds to contemplate it and responded.
    faceman wrote: »
    Its a very ideallic question and one that would never come to fruition IMO. Nor would i want it to (as a Christian) as it undermines the premise of faith.

You're so hilariously brain washed it's horrible. It's an ingenious trick that religion has pulled to convince people that in the absence of evidence having belief is a good thing...but to go so far as to say you'd rather not have evidence because that some how lessens faith...mind boggling. Absolutely mind boggling.

Seems to me that a God that actually existed wouldn't care so much about blind faith. A God that doesn't actually exist...now that would have all sorts of reasons to require blind belief.

Mind boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Mind boggling.
    Extremely mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Whoever said this place wasn't confrontational?;)

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Shut up! No one said that!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Behead those who say Atheism is violent :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You're so hilariously brain washed it's horrible. It's an ingenious trick that religion has pulled to convince people that in the absence of evidence having belief is a good thing...but to go so far as to say you'd rather not have evidence because that some how lessens faith...mind boggling. Absolutely mind boggling.

Seems to me that a God that actually existed wouldn't care so much about blind faith. A God that doesn't actually exist...now that would have all sorts of reasons to require blind belief.

Brainwashed by who exactly and in what way?

You say that its hilarious? Is the moral or spiritual well being of an individual funny because it doesnt have the same foundation of your belief? Would you rather people agree with you, regardless of what they believe themselves because it would make you feel better and would be less hilarious?

I guess ignorance isnt just reserved for those who have some form of religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I am an atheist by rationalisation - obviously if the existance of hypothetical a god or gods can be proven beyond reasonable doubt, than i would have to "believe". The thing is, at that point it wouldnt be a "belief", it would be a "fact".

I wouldnt have a blind faith in religion - in the same manner, i dont have a blind faith in atheism either.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭AnotherYou

I think there's a better question here, well, a different one.

For all the believers in god, Imagine for a second we managed to prove there was a DIFFERENT god, for example a jewish bhuddist or muslim god, or perhaps an even more far-fetched god we'd never even heard of.

But imagine this god existed, and we somehow learned of his/her/its existance undoubtedly. Would you abandon your current "faith" or would you chalk this up to the "trying to test our faith" arguement?

I always love seeing how the human mind can rely so much on identity that when the believes someone has used to define themselves are threatened, All bets are off and the name of the game is "make up as far fetched a story to explain why I'm still right to think what I think"

And that applies to athiests and theists

I hear its called spiritual materialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

faceman wrote: »

If it were to happen, I don't think we would actually see God, but instead, proof of Gods existance.
    Aren't Christians meant to belive that Jesus will come again on judgement day? If so, when the second coming happens, that will be the proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭AnotherYou

If it were to happen, I don't think we would actually see God, but instead, proof of Gods existance.
    Aren't Christians meant to belive that Jesus will come again on judgement day? If so, when the second coming happens, that will be the proof.

I'll wait here shall I?

• Advertisement

AnotherYou wrote: »
    I'll wait here shall I?

I'll bring drinks.

Advertisement