Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Gods existence was proven...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

faceman wrote: »
    Nor would i want it to (as a Christian) as it undermines the premise of faith.
    You say that its hilarious?

No it's hilarious because your brain is so illogical. To analogize for you

We surveyed 100 people and asked them would they rather be given 10 million euro, or play the lotto in the hope of winning 10 million euro.

You answered, play the lotto

Our survey says... EH EHHHHHHH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I'm non-Christian but otherwise religious and I'd convert.
    I'll bring drinks.

Bring ice, it's gonna be a looooooong wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Shut up! No one said that!

:pac:

I must have had imagined it so.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭AnotherYou

I'm an atheist/agnostic and it wouldn't change a thing.
    Mena wrote: »

Just till the end of time, Cuppa for me Genghiz, and whatever your having yourself.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I chose the atheist / nothing would change option, but it is not strictly accurate.

I the existence of god was proven to me I would obviously not be an atheist any more, so obviously that would be a change.

I would not want to worship it though, as I do not believe it is worthy of worship.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

MrPudding wrote: »
    I chose the atheist / nothing would change option, but it is not strictly accurate.
    Yeah, I'm beginning to see that my wording has left something to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

AnotherYou wrote: »
    I think there's a better question here, well, a different one.

For all the believers in god, Imagine for a second we managed to prove there was a DIFFERENT god, for example a jewish bhuddist or muslim god, or perhaps an even more far-fetched god we'd never even heard of.

But imagine this god existed, and we somehow learned of his/her/its existance undoubtedly. Would you abandon your current "faith" or would you chalk this up to the "trying to test our faith" arguement?

Or another one. If you got to heaven and it had a beer volcano and a stripper factory, would you stay?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think there's a better question here, well, a different one...
    And better kept for another thread, don't you think? :)
    No it's hilarious because your brain is so illogical...
    Let's not get into telling people how logical/illogical their brains are - stick with their posts if you have to apply logic to something.

dvpower wrote: »
    Or another one. If you got to heaven and it had a beer volcano and a stripper factory, would you stay?

I think what your trying to do is make fun of the hypothetical-situation thing we're doing here.

.............good one.

Just incase that was a real question, yes I would, and that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'll wait here shall I?

Probably better off doing something else, but hey if it floats your boat, wait.
    I'll bring drinks.

Corona please...no lime, Lime is for losers.
    Mena wrote: »

You'd better hope so.

• Advertisement

-- I just needlessly insulted a mod and got banned --

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I'm just wondering if it occurs to anyone, to maybe be humbled by the fact that they've obviously got it so wrong, that maybe they'd call to question the worship side also? Seeing how your judgement was an epic fail in the first place, you'd still have faith in yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

JimiTime wrote: »
    Seeing how your judgement was an epic fail in the first place, you'd still have faith in yourself?

Science is in a constant state of epic fail. It's constantly being proven wrong in one way or another.

I don't count being proven wrong as a failure anyway. I don't like it because I was wrong, but I can be happier knowing I'm now more right.

I'm just wondering if it occurs to anyone, to maybe be humbled by the fact that they've obviously got it so wrong, that maybe they'd call to question the worship side also? Seeing how your judgement was an epic fail in the first place, you'd still have faith in yourself?

I dont think there'd be any shame in being wrong from the atheist side,
    atheists seem so cite on thing over and over and that's "logic".

The reality of it is that I've spent my life systematically realising that, starting with the bible, christianity is complete horse****.

There's no two ways about it for me, no one gives up religion because of one fact. Its clutched at in desperation and frantic bargaining with the inevitable, and its let go in acceptance that it simply isn't real to live life that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

It would depend on the circumstances. If I was going to be damned in hell otherwse, I'd kiss arse. If he wasn't an insecure thug I wouldn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if he wanted worshipping i wouldn't think much of him

would he smite those who claimed to do fgood in his name but instead did evil

i'd respect him if he smote people
    smite.jpg

Science is in a constant state of epic fail. It's constantly being proven wrong in one way or another.

I don't count being proven wrong as a failure anyway. I don't like it because I was wrong, but I can be happier knowing I'm now more right.

Ok, but that avoids the question i asked. Your faith in yourself, and your qom judgement has been misplaced with the OPs scenario. So would you not humble yourself to the idea that you are indeed wrong on the worship idea? Maybe you don't actually know the importance of it? maybe your maker done what was best all along and you are just an idiot who thinks, even after being shown up in this manner, that you are still right about everything else?

All and all, for a bunch who try claim logic as their own, i find alot of you severely lacking here. maybe thats just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ok, but that avoids the question i asked. Your faith in yourself, and your qom judgement has been misplaced with the OPs scenario. So would you not humble yourself to the idea that you are indeed wrong on the worship idea? Maybe you don't actually know the importance of it? maybe your maker done what was best all along and you are just an idiot who thinks, even after being shown up in this manner, that you are still right about everything else?

That is a lot of maybes.
    If God loved us and wanted to do what's bes he wouldn't collapse schools, he would have had Jesus educate the masses on the nature of disease and all sorts of other very very very important things.

As for my beliefs, it's wrong until proven right, once proven right it's right until proven wrong.
    Being wrong about one thing regardless of scale shouldn't affect unrelated facts.
    All and all, for a bunch who try claim logic as their own, i find alot of you severely lacking here. maybe thats just me though.

... too easy...

That is a lot of maybes.
    If God loved us and wanted to do what's bes he wouldn't collapse schools, he would have had Jesus educate the masses on the nature of disease and all sorts of other very very very important things.

As for my beliefs, it's wrong until proven right, once proven right it's right until proven wrong.
    Being wrong about one thing regardless of scale shouldn't affect unrelated facts.

... too easy...

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Brainwashed by who exactly and in what way?

By the pro-faith pro-religious culture that has dominated western society for centuries.

In what way? To be convinced that believing in something without evidence is a good thing, and not only that but also that this is better than if there was evidence.

That's absolutely crazy.
    You say that its hilarious? Is the moral or spiritual well being of an individual funny because it doesnt have the same foundation of your belief? Would you rather people agree with you, regardless of what they believe themselves because it would make you feel better and would be less hilarious?

Ergh, not really sure what this has to do with the conversation. I suppose hilarious isn't the right word. It's tragic.
    I guess ignorance isnt just reserved for those who have some form of religion.

Am I actually displaying ignorance of some relevant facts here or are you just playing a generic martyr card or what?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zillah wrote: »
    Ergh, not really sure what this has to do with the conversation.
    You could leave it before you say something you regret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Galvasean wrote: »
    I would never bow down to such a tyrant! :mad:
    I say that now...

I for one welcome our new overlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

To be honest, if the christian god as described in the bible was absolutely proven I would kiss his ass. Principles are one thing but if I knew I was going to burn for all eternity and never see my loved ones again for holding to them, they'd be out the window, not least because if god was actually proven and his morals were different to mine, it'd be safe to say it was me who was wrong :)

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    To be honest, if the christian god as described in the bible was absolutely proven I would kiss his ass. Principles are one thing but if I knew I was going to burn for all eternity and never see my loved ones again for holding to them, they'd be out the window, not least because if god was actually proven and his morals were different to mine, it'd be safe to say it was me who was wrong :)
    I find this interesting. I understand what you are saying. But would it be enough? I know he seems to like getting his ass kissed, but he also seems to need people to love him and believe that he is good. Are you saying that everything you think would change?

This is where I think there is a big problem though. I reckon a lot of atheists would be screwed. This god is supposed to know everything. I reckon there would be a large number of atheist that may pay lip service but deep down think this god is a cnut.

At the moment I don't really hate god, how can one hate something that does not exist? But if it were to suddenly appear and go "hey guys" How's it goin'. Miss me?" I really would hate it.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Galvasean wrote: »
    18045-large.jpg

If God was proved to be real, I'd punch Him for allowing that god awful movie to be made.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Its a very ideallic question and one that would never come to fruition IMO. Nor would i want it to (as a Christian) as it undermines the premise of faith.

Why would you prefer to worship something that might not exist as opposed to something that definitley does? Why is faith more important than knowing? This makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Hypothetical as the question is, I find it funny that some people are so entrenched in their beliefs that even if God himself came down and said "HA I'm real, I did make the universe and this is how etc", they would still be atheists. Does that mentality ring a bell? Ironic or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Valmont wrote: »
    Hypothetical as the question is, I find it funny that some people are so entrenched in their beliefs that even if God himself came down and said "HA I'm real, I did make the universe and this is how etc", they would still be atheists. Does that mentality ring a bell? Ironic or what.
    The question isn't whether or not thye'd be an atheist, but would they worship. Not the same thing. The prime condition of the little thought experiment is presuming that Gods existence is proven.

Meh. :pac:

Valmont wrote: »
    Not sure if that is a fair comment... I picked atheist and nothing would change, but that is not strictly true, just the closest option.

If there was undeniable proof that god existed I would not be an atheist anymore, but that does not mean I would worship it. I presume that is what other who voted the same as me meant also.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Gentlefolks and people, all:

This is yet another good thread, and yet another reason why this forum is fun to be around. Briefly donning the mod's hat, I would, however, like to ask everybody who missed the joint "Be Nice!" post exactly four weeks ago this afternoon, to reacquaint themselves with it briefly:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60021068

Just for clarity, that means you don't write that other people are brainwashed, morally inept, destined for hell, hilariously illogical and so on. By all means, you can call the ideas whatever you like, but slagging people -- not around here.

- robin (removing mod's hat again and chucking it behind the sofa).

Advertisement