Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker pros in Ireland ... guesstimate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

cuterob wrote: »
    underground maybe, but other than that they are long dead

Easy to get overlooked as a poker pro in Ireland with a cover that good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭craigb

nicinic, this thread is not about how much these people win. This thread is about how many full-time/pro Irish poker players there are. Those are two entirely separate and distinct questions. Surely that's not so hard to understand?

This is the point. This board is so donkament-centric - and specifically live donkaments - that most people apparantly have no conception about the wider poker world. Is is laughable - totally fkn laughable - that people are saying there are 10 or 25 or 50 Irish poker pros. Do you lot not realise that there are poker pros who wouldn't go near a B&M poker room? Like, NEVER in their entire poker career. Who wants to sit in a room for hours on end with a bunch of smelly, stressed dudes who make Bernard Manning look both healthy and entertaining?

Online pros treat it just like a job, so they don't need to tell everyone about it all the time, or talk about it at a live table or over drinks in the bar later. Most just grind out their 9-5 quietly. And just because their names don't appear on pocket5's or whatnot does not mean they don't exist. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I would say the ratio of Irish online pros to Irish live pros is no less than 10:1. Maybe many more. And I'd say the ratio of cash pros to tourney pros, while not as big, would be 3 or 4 or 5 :1. Again, perhaps more. Online cash games are poker in 2009, not tournaments in some bloody poker room in Meath (or wherever the hell Celbridge is).

I am genuinely shocked that there are no regular posters on this board contributing to this thread to counter the utter nonsense being spoken. I know you lot like your little clique on this board, but really that's no excuse for not putting the misguided straight.

Ed: I sound like a total pr**k in this post. lol. Didn't mean to, but it is what it is. Don't mean to be needlessly aggressive.

THIS..

thier are alot more than 20 , 50 even 100 pro poker players i would even go as far as saying the high 100s maybe more... if you look at a pro player as been just making a living off poker and without the flashy hendon mob page etc i have been making money from poker for almost 2 years now and almost 6 months to a year full time online and i no of at least another 20 people in cork alone who do the same.....wat about the people i dont no or the people that dont post on boards etc i just think its silly to say that their are as little as 20 or 50 poker pros in ireland.... just my 2cents of course:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

Just reading through this now.

Going on the OP line of 30k a year means a pro then I'd say there are lots. I fall into the bracket of 30k a year from poker but wouldnt consider myself a pro player, even though I have no other form of income.

I think a "pro" is someone who makes more money at poker than he/she would at another job that they are qualified for.

This means its relative. So if a CEO earning 300k a year decided to play poker full time and was winning 40k a year, i wouldn't consider him a pro.

On the flip side, somebody who is only qualified to flip burgers in Supermacs turns to poker and increases his earning potential by a few k a year then I would consider him a pro.

I know this thinking is flawed but im trying to make the important distinction between winning players and full time poker professionals.

There are hundreds of winning players in Ireland but very few of these are poker pros imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

cuterob wrote: »
    underground maybe, but other than that they are long dead

lunapic-124345215094621.gif

lol this looks like such a random post with that screenshot, i had a paragraph written underneath, i'm not writing it again, but yea that is not my screenshot, it is paul wasika's i got it off 2+2, i have 52 cent on fulltilt and havent played on it in months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

I would not consider myself a pro but i play Monday-Friday and make about 200 Euro a day started making 100 Euro a day now i average 200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

SouthKerry wrote: »
    I would not consider myself a pro but i play Monday-Friday and make about 200 Euro a day started making 100 Euro a day now i average 200.

But did you not set yourself a limit of €100 per day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

bantee wrote: »
    But did you not set yourself a limit of €100 per day?
    Overtime due to the current economic climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

SouthKerry wrote: »

No, you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭insomniak

mdwexford wrote: »
    No, you dont.
    whatever this guy says goes

he knows all and is a legend of a pro... twat

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Who wants to sit in a room for hours on end with a bunch of smelly, stressed dudes who make Bernard Manning look both healthy and entertaining?

Ah but live poker is so much softer, you'll show a decent profit if you're anyway competent, and also its much healthier to interact with unfunny smelly humans, (awful gereralisation there, most people I play with look good sound, good and smell lovely:))than stare at computer screens and press buttons for hours on end, strikes me as a bit soul destroying/depressing way to live, even if you are as good at it as southkerry :rolleyes:, in fact even if you made millions from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

insomniak wrote: »
    whatever this guy says goes

he knows all and is a legend of a pro... twat

Maybe if you werent such a donk yourself you would understand that statements like "i make 200 a day" are totally ridiculous because its impossible to win a set figure every day. Maybe you have heard of terms like variance etc.
    Every player has losing days, weeks and more than likely months.

ha didnt realise you were the same guy crying in bbv the other day over hotspurs post, and im a twat, lmao at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

€200 a day - Just €73000 in passive income a year. Congrats on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

ianmc38 wrote: »
    €200 a day - Just €73000 in passive income a year. Congrats on that!

And of course that would be €73,000k net, which is the equivalent of a salary of over €100,000. Perhaps €115k-ish. Although, to be a hopeless pedant, he did say it was only 5 days a week, not 7.

Also, not entirely sure how you come to the conclusion it is "passive" income...that money needs to be earned just like anyone else doing a job. My receding hairline is testament to this not being money for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

mdwexford wrote: »
    bbv.

Just remember 'v' is for venting now. I founded that. Used to be variance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

i dont think i have the heart for full time. I have the opportunity atm to do it, but i cannot see myself doing it for much longer. Takes all the fun out of the game completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭BuChan

i'd say there are definitely more than 100. possibly even up to 300. also your criteria are strange. you have to make 12K a year than a minimum wager to be a pro? what's the logic there? i think if you've averaged over 20K for more than 4 or 5 years you've been pretty "professional" about the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭blaaah

eagle eye wrote: »
    There are a lot of unknown winners and I mean nobody has an earthly that they are making money at online poker.

Recently my bro was at a party in his friends house. His buddy hasn't worked for three years and keeps crying about how hard it is to get a job. Anyways there are three in the room with the computer on and the poker client open and curiosity gets the better of them and they check his balance and he has 234k. Like this guy never played live poker in his life and doesn't ever talk about it.

ha ye play money chips!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

I would say about 100 maybe less who are in profit and playing full time.

I would also say its a horrible unreliable creepy way to try earn a living. I think the lack of certainty just makes it a horrible uncertain existence to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Jayminator wrote: »
    I would also say its a horrible unreliable creepy way to try earn a living. I think the lack of certainty just makes it a horrible uncertain existence to be honest.

You've heard of rakeback, right? My rb pays my rent, bills and groceries and I'm just a mediocre small sakes grinder with no talent at pokering whatsoever.

As for unreliability and uncertainty, I am just about the only one of my friends with 100% job security - I can't lose my job. A solid roll + a good rb deal + a winrate above 1BB/100 (allowing for SD/sample size) + being a reg above 100NL means it is not anywhere as near precarious as you say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

You've heard of rakeback, right? My rb pays my rent, bills and groceries and I'm just a mediocre small sakes grinder with no talent at pokering whatsoever.

As for unreliability and uncertainty, I am just about the only one of my friends with 100% job security - I can't lose my job. A solid roll + a good rb deal + a winrate above 1BB/100 (allowing for SD/sample size) + being a reg above 100NL means it is not anywhere as near precarious as you say.
    Wow, super, Graph i can look at and a rough list of your groceries please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

I did nt say it was precarious, I said it was basically a very tough way to make a comfortable living.
    Point I am making is that if ya want to get on and get a bit of comfort behind you then I feel playing poker full time is not the way to go.
    Most of the people I know who play poker full time and have no other job are more often than not single, young, renting, have no real financial commitments with no kids or family (wife Or husband) so until their circumstances change then they can continue playing poker without too much concern for anyone else except themselves. Its when these circumstances change is when I feel poker will become more difficult to earn good dosh to maintain a more expensive standard of living to pay for mortgage, car, kids etc etc. Gl to anyone who can do it.. It would not be for me.

No point having job security with no income security and as pointed out earlier in this thread ya cant put an exact figure on how much you can earn playing poker. You might not lose your job but you may lose your tits..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭smoothcall

How can you say you have 100% secuirity. What happens if you wake up tomorow and you can't beat the games.

Online cash games are poker in 2009,

This is lol
    some bloody poker room in Meath (or wherever the hell Celbridge is).

I was playing there couple weeks ago and almost certainly Irelands two biggest online winners were in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

No point having job security with no income security and as pointed out earlier in this thread ya cant put an exact figure on how much you can earn playing poker. You might not lose your job but you may lose your tits..

Actually, if you play enough, it is probably possible to work out with some degree of accuracy what you will earn. But its may not be humanly possible to play that much

smoothcall wrote: »
    I was playing there couple weeks ago and almost certainly Irelands two biggest online winners were in the game.

no no no I was busy that night. Who are these other 2 imposters you make reference to sir.. I hear this is a good game of late.

Actually, if you play enough, it is probably possible to work out with some degree of accuracy what you will earn. But its may not be humanly possible to play that much

Yeah this is my point too. If you need to earn x amount but need to play 24/7 then why bother.

Dave Callaghan and Tom Hanlon is who i was referring too, somehow you slipped my mind, so I stand corrected in sayin two of the top 3 winners. Wasn't that good a game when i played it, it's very deep. 5 10 20 was the standard blinds.

smoothcall wrote: »
    Dave Callaghan and Tom Hanlon is who i was referring too, somehow you slipped my mind, so I stand corrected in sayin two of the top 3 winners. Wasn't that good a game when i played it, it's very deep. 5 10 20 was the standard blinds.

Ya think i ll spin a quick 200 up in there next wednesday.. Hope you finished the job in the fitz on Thursday WP.

Second in the end, ya should pop up .There was a good 25 round of each game , 25 holdem and 12 holdem too. Nice spot imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Yeah this is my point too. If you need to earn x amount but need to play 24/7 then why bother.

Argh. There are not many excellent poker players that would choose a 9-5 job ahead of poker. I think anyone who is good enough to do it, would do it. Most people who say they could, but they won't are probably just not good enough to be fair.
    Also the reason there aren't a load of married people with children doing it is because its a relatively young profession, internet poker has not been around long enough.

Advertisement