Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker pros in Ireland ... guesstimate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

No.

Has anyone on this board ever heard of online cash games? Or do you people actually think that poker rooms in Celbridge are the heartbeat of poker?

you probably don't realise that the players in that game are by far the biggest online winners in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

nicnicnic wrote: »
    you probably don't realise that the players in that game are by far the biggest online winners in the country.

one of them lost 37k and 6k of that in there last week but did not mind because he played well . but all the fish sucked out on him for a change . :D:D

now he is the only blog i really like because he loses sometimes not like the ones who never do .

"truth is a virtue that some of us forget about "

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There are a lot of unknown winners and I mean nobody has an earthly that they are making money at online poker.

Recently my bro was at a party in his friends house. His buddy hasn't worked for three years and keeps crying about how hard it is to get a job. Anyways there are three in the room with the computer on and the poker client open and curiosity gets the better of them and they check his balance and he has 234k. Like this guy never played live poker in his life and doesn't ever talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

For as long as there has been gambling there's been the guy who brags about the big winners he had here and there etc, but everyone knows that the bookies are the only winners and they brand him a fool.

Its the same for poker, why tell people if their only going to think you're an idiot and can only lose all you're money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

eagle eye wrote: »
    There are a lot of unknown winners and I mean nobody has an earthly that they are making money at online poker.

Recently my bro was at a party in his friends house. His buddy hasn't worked for three years and keeps crying about how hard it is to get a job. Anyways there are three in the room with the computer on and the poker client open and curiosity gets the better of them and they check his balance and he has 234k. Like this guy never played live poker in his life and doesn't ever talk about it.

He lodged €1m IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭White Knight

Play money chips imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Fair dues to him-keeping the case 247k online.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Flushdraw wrote: »
    He lodged €1m IMO
    Play money chips imo
    jbravado wrote: »
    Fair dues to him-keeping the case 247k online.

I just passed on what was told to me 3 weeks ago. If you don't believe it fine. It is the internetz after all. And of course you've all seen me telling porkies in the past on here.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Paul Spillane

There's probably a mathematical equation to answer this so here is my amateurish stab at it. Population (Ireland 4.5 Million?): % of population that play poker, (err no idea but guestimate 1 in 50 = 100,000). % of those 100k that play more than recreationally 5% = 5,000. % of those that win 10% = 500. % of those that win over 30k p.a. 20% so approx 100 players my guess and i have been extremely generous in my guessing that 10% of the 500 win.

Actually I should just ask Dave Callaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭digiman

There's probably a mathematical equation to answer this so here is my amateurish stab at it. Population (Ireland 4.5 Million?): % of population that play poker, (err no idea but guestimate 1 in 50 = 100,000). % of those 100k that play more than recreationally 5% = 5,000. % of those that win 10% = 500. % of those that win over 30k p.a. 20% so approx 100 players my guess and i have been extremely generous in my guessing that 10% of the 500 win.

Actually I should just ask Dave Callaghan

Do you think this could be true? I thought there would be more than 10% of players that play more than recreationally would be winning. Can you and BCB look up your stats on all your players and tell us what % of them are winning? :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Paul Spillane

digiman wrote: »
    Do you think this could be true? I thought there would be more than 10% of players that play more than recreationally would be winning. Can you and BCB look up your stats on all your players and tell us what % of them are winning? :D:D

Its a well known fact that everyone wins on BP but no one wins with BCB's mob! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭northwestguy27

Its a well known fact that everyone wins on BP but no one wins with BCB's mob! :P

True.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah but how much did he lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

I know a friend of my cousin who never used to talk about poker but told us he made 60k last year and showed us the account to prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭smoothcall

My friends dog's friend who he plays with in the park ( Rex i think) owners brother won 23million last year and he never said a word about poker.

Honestly i'd guess about 100ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

was that his play money balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

id take the overs on 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

The real question is the amount of under age people playing poker in Ireland. Ive been playing since I was 16.

My guess is 27,301

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

Whatever the current number, there'll be one less soon if my luck continues like it's been this year so far. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

nicnicnic wrote: »

nicinic, this thread is not about how much these people win. This thread is about how many full-time/pro Irish poker players there are. Those are two entirely separate and distinct questions. Surely that's not so hard to understand?

This is the point. This board is so donkament-centric - and specifically live donkaments - that most people apparantly have no conception about the wider poker world. Is is laughable - totally fkn laughable - that people are saying there are 10 or 25 or 50 Irish poker pros. Do you lot not realise that there are poker pros who wouldn't go near a B&M poker room? Like, NEVER in their entire poker career. Who wants to sit in a room for hours on end with a bunch of smelly, stressed dudes who make Bernard Manning look both healthy and entertaining?

Online pros treat it just like a job, so they don't need to tell everyone about it all the time, or talk about it at a live table or over drinks in the bar later. Most just grind out their 9-5 quietly. And just because their names don't appear on pocket5's or whatnot does not mean they don't exist. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I would say the ratio of Irish online pros to Irish live pros is no less than 10:1. Maybe many more. And I'd say the ratio of cash pros to tourney pros, while not as big, would be 3 or 4 or 5 :1. Again, perhaps more. Online cash games are poker in 2009, not tournaments in some bloody poker room in Meath (or wherever the hell Celbridge is).

I am genuinely shocked that there are no regular posters on this board contributing to this thread to counter the utter nonsense being spoken. I know you lot like your little clique on this board, but really that's no excuse for not putting the misguided straight.

Ed: I sound like a total pr**k in this post. lol. Didn't mean to, but it is what it is. Don't mean to be needlessly aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

nicinic, this thread is not about how much these people win. ...
    Surely that's not so hard to understand?

If they are not winning consistently over three + years then they are not pros IMO
    The OP left the criteria to be part of the discussion

This is the point. This board is so donkament-centric - and specifically live donkaments...
    Thats just wrong

Online pros treat it just like a job, so they don't need to tell everyone about it all the time.... Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    Thats true.. but along with this bit :
    I would say the ratio of Irish online pros to Irish live pros is no less than 10:1. Maybe many more. And I'd say the ratio of cash pros to tourney pros, while not as big, would be 3 or 4 or 5 :1. Again, perhaps more.

Without facts and figures your guess is as good and your opinion as valid as mine

Ed: I sound like a total pr**k in this post. lol. Didn't mean to, but it is what it is. Don't mean to be needlessly aggressive.

You do a bit , this is a casual conversation not a matter of life or death

The guess I made of < 25 could be way off but I don't see any evidence of there being many more. It would be nice to hear more from people working in the industry

I'd be a little bit suspicious of people who aren't immersed in poker but turn up with huge balances in their accounts...I guess its pretty obvious what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I dont think there are too many winning Irish MTT players. I know a few guys who are in the top 50 on P5s who are staked (some 100%) and are in debt or owe money in makeup. Tourneys are a grim existence unless you run like God and/or you are a true MTT sicko. Even the idea of sitting at my laptop every day for 16 hours while multitabling torunaments depresses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

I would find it hard to believe that there are a load of big or even medium or even tiny winners that no-one knows about. Most people love a good boast or brag and can't possibly hide it from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I would agree that any full time poker player would not play in a B&M except for a change..

When I was playing full time for 2 years I rarely ever played a live game... would turn up every now and then to break the grind.. I mean why would you sit at a table for 8-10 hours to play maybe 300 hands??

I don't think there are many that play live for a living... if they so god bless their patience!

SO it is plausable that there are a lot out there we don't hear much about.. but I still think not that many

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

i don't have a job, and i am not on the dole, i make money from poker, label me!!! i wouldnt call myself a pro, i dont have a hendonmob profile obv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭big_iain

cuterob wrote: »
    i don't have a job, and i am not on the dole, i make money from poker, label me!!! i wouldnt call myself a pro, i dont have a hendonmob profile obv

If you make enough money to live on after paying expenses then you are a pro. Forget rankings or profiles. If you maintain a bankroll and live off it then you are sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

the only ones who win everytime is the providers with the rake the rest of us well some tell the truth and the rest belive they are :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

cuterob wrote: »

Stasi Spy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

nicinic, this thread is not about how much these people win. This thread is about how many full-time/pro Irish poker players there are. Those are two entirely separate and distinct questions. Surely that's not so hard to understand?

dude you dissed the celbridge, don't try distract from THAT !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

Grafter wrote: »
    Stasi Spy?

underground maybe, but other than that they are long dead

lunapic-124345215094621.gif

Advertisement