Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker pros in Ireland ... guesstimate

Options
  • 25-05-2009 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I was in the poker room Celbridge yesterday and a player asked me how many poker pros do you think there are in Ireland ...?

excellent Q!

the Irish open this year had 700 players half were foreign (i made that up now on the spot).

there really must be a couple hundred pros at most

If we define a poker pro for the purposes of this thread as making 30k a year or more (a reasonable living) and not working at anything else except poker playing. (...say 60 days a year...non poker income..included)

any guesstimates ?

feel free to redefine the terms of what makes a poker pro in the thread if you think the terms above are gay

people who work full time and and also make massive amounts of money per year as poker players are BARRED

Id Ideally like to get a vague handle on the no. of grinders and wizards on our fair island who reject work in favour of gambling...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

The term more commonly used is "full-time poker players"

And lol at you thinking any full-time players would consider it gambling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

I'll go for 63.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

30K average or 30K every year.? If average, over how many years?

Is the 60 days working other job included or excluded from 30k?

If you play poker full time and earn say 20k you make more than the min. wage so are you not pro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

People who claim they are: 8,442
    People who actually are: 112

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭insomniak

aya14 wrote: »
    Flipper wrote: »
    I'll go for 63.

how many do you consider from boards to be these pro's?

Personally think its in the 100 ballpark aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

insomniak wrote: »
    how many do you consider from boards to be these pro's?

Personally think its in the 100 ballpark aswell

pro poker players on boards lol, sure everyone around here sucks:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

depends if the 30 k includes the dole or not :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

aya14 wrote: »

pretty close to what I would have guessed

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭super182

the dole would be a big factor lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Non students, earning >35k after expenses, for more three full years and only earning from playing poker.
    < 25 IMO possibly <10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

there's more guys who play poker full time who dont post on boards than the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭digiman

Non students, earning >35k after expenses, for more three full years and only earning from playing poker.
    < 25 IMO possibly <10

This sounds way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Well I have 3 friends who are full time players who have never posted on boards and they play bigger than almost everyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

cuterob wrote: »
    there's more guys who play poker full time who dont post on boards than the other way around

this is very accurate imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭big_iain

I reckon there are about 40 professional winning players in Ireland, I'd say there are about 300 semi pros who are consistently winning players and use this as extra income or bankroll building.

I'd say there are about 50,000 total players in Ireland who have played more than once for more than €50.

Guessedimates now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

nah, I'd say there are a lot more people who post on boards who don't play poker full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

big_iain wrote: »
    I reckon there are about 40 professional winning players in Ireland, I'd say there are about 300 semi pros who are consistently winning players and use this as extra income or bankroll building.

I'd say there are about 50,000 total players in Ireland who have played more than once for more than €50.

Guessedimates now

I would roughly agree with all of the above.....Funny that you mention winning professionals (how many are pros but consistently lose or lose money due to expenses involved :) )...

There does also seem to have been a big shift in the people that make up the professional ranks (i.e. guys that made good money long before the boom, a lot of them have found it hard to adjust to online poker and also to survive the new stream of players it has created).

Stephen.

big_iain wrote: »

Guessedimates now

Dunno Iain, I've heard the figure of 5% mentioned before as the % of players who show a profit , so from 50,000 that would be 2,500..........I know your 50,000 estimate isn't all regular players but still I think there must be a lot more than 300 consistently winning players, whether you call them semi pro is another thing I suppose.

RoundTower wrote: »
    nah, I'd say there are a lot more people who post on boards who don't play poker full time.

this is very accurate imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Less than 100 imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

About 20.

If you look at pocketfives you will see how the Irish players who registered on pocketfives.com are cashing online. Of course many fantastic big winning Irish pros have not registered, probably because it would be embarrassing. There is winning, and there is profit. If poker pros are profitable why do they accept / need sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Two quibbles with that post Sean:

1) tournament results are really only the tip of the iceberg in figuring out who is a pro / who is profitable and very unreliable in terms of answering either question;

2) Anything that reduces variance for the player in tournaments should be worthy of their consideration, irrespective of their edge;

Good points. How can we find out how much they make at cash?

For pros to make it at cash there must be a regular supply of fish, and we are in a big recession. The fish are fished out.

Of course a pro will take everything offered. If you read Roy Brindley's book you will see that some of the sponsorships are a little light.

kincsem wrote: »
    Good points. How can we find out how much they make at cash?

you cannot unless you ask

you cannot unless you ask

They're poker players , they're not allowed tell the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Is this entire thread a level?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Is this entire thread a level?

are you a level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

are you a level?

No.

Has anyone on this board ever heard of online cash games? Or do you people actually think that poker rooms in Celbridge are the heartbeat of poker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

No.

Has anyone on this board ever heard of online cash games? Or do you people actually think that poker rooms in Celbridge are the heartbeat of poker?

what is celbridge?

Advertisement