Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Blues - RTE1 - May 31st

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Well this weeks episode was brutal again.

"A prisoner resists arrest"......... i would have called him a compliant drunk, if thats resisting arrest then the prisoners that most of us would consider "resisting" arrest must be possessed

Its the exact same rubbish as last week.... drunk driver, speeder bla bla bla

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Random wrote: »
    Right. Just watched tonights one.

The drunk driver @ Drogehda garda Station. How did the off duty Garda get the call first?
    Why did the Gardai need to call backup once your man was in cuffs? They had 3 bodys on the scene?

Very unhappy in general though in terms of the content though. The show is too short and there just isn't a good enough mix of content.

I still dislike those interviews in the office and would rather they did them all in the cars or whatever.

I think the "off duty" garda was driving an unmarked patrol car, i certainly throught i saw the blues when the other car pulled up, i suppose he couldve been returning from dublin/court or numerous things.

There was 2 of them and then back up arrived, in fairness, man with previous for assault, witha slash hook in the car, twas a good decision. Remember they woulda called for backup before he was cuffed so couldve turned nasty, which they didnt but rte managed to fod it off as resisting arrest, certianly didnt look that way!

Think the show showed up some of the problems with northern ireland drivers and foreign drivers in general all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't get me wrong. I loved the show. I really think it should be longer though. I also think they need to focus more on the incidents and not the bloody safety lectures IMO.

The drunk driver @ Drogehda garda Station. How did the off duty Garda get the call first?
    Why did the Gardai need to call backup once your man was in cuffs? They had 3 bodys on the scene?

Very unhappy in general though in terms of the content though. The show is too short and there just isn't a good enough mix of content.

I still dislike those interviews in the office and would rather they did them all in the cars or whatever.

+1
    Unless he's one of those lads that keep a scanner in their car :rolleyes:... strange

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also it seemed strange to issue a nordie driver a FCPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Nothing at present in the way of repeats, certainly nothing in the next month. :(
    They're repeating the same show every week!

Also it seemed strange to issue a nordie driver a FCPN?
    And imagine that, it wasn't paid!

I wonder are there figures for this from both sides of the border?

deadwood wrote: »
    They're repeating the same show every week!

What ya think will be on it next week....... im gonna take a wild guess..........
    Drink driver, speeder, northern car, some other safety message and some other rubbish that wont be interesting.

The whole thing is so PC aswell, ya can see from the way the members are acting.

And imagine that, it wasn't paid!

Are we talking about the one doing 82 through a 50 zone? They said she paid it?

I feel sorry for the members in it in a way. A lot of them appear to be acting like robots. The guys in Road Wars etc were at least given a chance to be themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

I just saw this show for the first time tonight. I thought it was pretty entertaining and seems like it could be worth watching. How accurate is the show as a whole?

I liked how they didn't seem to sensationalise everything that happened, it seemed as though they just acted like normal Gardaí responding to normal things. To me, that's worth much more than any kind of sensational story they could conjure up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Don't know if anyone here spotted this in last week's episode but the Megane that crashed in Dundalk with the suspected drunk male in it had a 'baby/child on board sticker' in the rear window.

Very nice of him to attempt to drive home intoxicated if he has kids , wonder if they were in the vehicle would he have attempted it in anyways?.

ccosgrave wrote: »
    I just saw this show for the first time tonight. I thought it was pretty entertaining and seems like it could be worth watching. How accurate is the show as a whole?

I liked how they didn't seem to sensationalise everything that happened, it seemed as though they just acted like normal Gardaí responding to normal things. To me, that's worth much more than any kind of sensational story they could conjure up.
    Are you anything to Andy in the show? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

Right. Just watched tonights one.

******EDIT********

Sometimes I'm "afraid of their ****e" too. But this guy was in handcuffs at the time. This is how the voice over described it anyway. Others have suggested the backup was already called for - which would have made more sense. Just a little confused is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

IMO, the show was an improvement on last week.

The drunk driver was banned for 15years, and the mini bus driver was fined €300....well, I guess that was about it, but all in all, I thought it was better then last week.

Although the guy on the motorbike and the girls on the m50 should have been summonsed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Darren254 banned for 3 days for abusive and trolling posting.

Anybody know when RTE will have this episode online??

Usually after a couple of hours.

Chief--- wrote: »

Wait for the Christmas Box Set.

*Pssst* word is... there's bonus footage of....

wait for iiiit...

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=45654

a man being arrested for drunken driving!

Then theres the limited edition blue ray dvd with extra speeders

• Advertisement

Then theres the limited edition blue ray dvd with extra speeders
    There is also a deleted scene of a multi agency checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

There is also a deleted scene of a multi agency checkpoint.

And plenty more heli footage of pedestrians walking where they shouldnt, gripping television!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Chief--- wrote: »
    Darren254 banned for 3 days for abusive and trolling posting.

On rte player now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

After watching the first two episodes I think I'll give the rest a miss. It is very poor IMO and just serves to expose just how little the gards are able, or willing, to do. Just take that 17 year old in the first episode last week. He was in a car that was barely road worthy with steam pooring out from under the bonnet because the water cap was missing he said he had a provisional licence but hadn't got it with him, he had no L plates and no qualified driver. Didn't hear them ask for insurance and to add to that just a month before, he was caught speeding. An absolute horror to have on the road:mad: With all those offences against him, was he taken out of the car and the car impounded? hauled off to the station to face charges? No!! he was told to go straight to the nearest garage and put water in the car and then go straight home, like good little boy!!! Disgrace!!! What if he had killed or injured someone on the way home? Lets hope that this series is not sold to the UK or the US, or anywhere else for that matter, as I reckon it will be advertised as a sitcom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 snaring

a car that needs a water cap is hardly unroadworthy. a wing mirror is not a legal requirement on a car. the only mirror legally required is the rear view mirror inside the car. as the young fella was 17 he is entitled to a warning and the gard has no say in it. it would be interesting to know if he ever came to garda attention after that though. if the guards applied the law like road wars the country would be in a heap. there is a lot of benefit to giving a person a chance. remember that if he was given a conviction it would impede him for years and we were all young once.
    he cant be hauled off to face charges as the law doesnt allow it, thats the law created by those voted into government by ourselves so we are all to blame for that situation. the gard has to operate within the law. its very narrow minded to assume that everyone should be screwed by the law. very easy the garda bash when you ignore the restraints under which they work. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

snaring wrote: »
    a car that needs a water cap is hardly unroadworthy. a wing mirror is not a legal requirement on a car. the only mirror legally required is the rear view mirror inside the car. as the young fella was 17 he is entitled to a warning and the gard has no say in it. it would be interesting to know if he ever came to garda attention after that though. if the guards applied the law like road wars the country would be in a heap. there is a lot of benefit to giving a person a chance. remember that if he was given a conviction it would impede him for years and we were all young once.
    he cant be hauled off to face charges as the law doesnt allow it, thats the law created by those voted into government by ourselves so we are all to blame for that situation. the gard has to operate within the law. its very narrow minded to assume that everyone should be screwed by the law. very easy the garda bash when you ignore the restraints under which they work. :cool:

He maybe only 17 but he had already broken the law with the speeding incident for which he should have had a warning. We were all young, but at what age does the law kick in? He was breaking the law by not having L plates, he was breaking the law by not having a qualified driver with him. At the end of the day he was breaking the law by driving that car. Whats the point of laws if they are not enforced? Makes a farce of them. A gard has to operate with in the law and that must be frustrating, but when laws are broken then they should do their job. If the laws of the road were applied like roadwars then the roads of Ireland would be far safer places! I am not Garda bashing as such because in general the gards do a good job, and I wouldn't do it for love or money. Like I said if that lad had killed or injured someone on his way home I think the excuse of "he's only 17 and he is entitled to a warning" would not go down well with the relatives of the victim. Warn him by all means but get him off the road untill he is legally in a situation to drive.

Raise the driving age to 18. Simple. No more JLO's needed for RTA offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Raise the driving age to 18. Simple. No more JLO's needed for RTA offences.

Agreed. Ye have no idea the fustration we have with young driving offenders getting caution after caution

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Out of curiosity, i noticed alot of Guards wearing these little light things on their stab vests at night.

Do any of ye do this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nelopee

afatbollix wrote: »
    pitty they dident leave in the "now remember lads this is on camera" when the car was stopped :P:pac: or showing them stopping the rally cars... that bit of footage is a classic..
    What footage?
    Is there secret extra footage somewhere?

Advertisement