Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Industry in chaos

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Ive shot down every single one of your arguments guys. Why dont you take up my offer and produce your accounts so you prove that you really are on the breadline. I'll then produce mine and you can see that, if you are on the breadline you are doing something seriously wrong.
    But i doubt any of you isnt actually making a very good living from your taxi. And people arent stupi. They know this. If you stop treting the public like they are stupid they might actually startto like us.

But there is no point arguing with dumb people here who think that just because they dont know how to make their business work that it cant be done. You can see the IQ of them here and to be honest its not worth arguing. There is always room for improvment in any business, nbut unless you try to improve your business instead of moaning that money isnt just falling into your pocke, you will never be able to improve your business.

To the guys interested in starting a taxi business who contacted me - i'll send you my phone number and you can call me. I'll give you the truth and some advice on how not to become one of the moaners in here.

But i will bid you all goodbye in this thread.

Answer the one question I asked Martin and blow me out of the water. Its the one answer you cannot give only a real taximan can answer the quetion Ive asked you and your failure to do so proves your not. I havent once claimed to be on the bread line all Ive done is ask you to back up your ridiculus claims. Maybe you have a accounts claiming you've earned 80k/100k last year what does this prove ?? Nothing unless it you've been audited by the taxman. Answer the one question that can prove me wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Martin, you've opened a right hornet's nest! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sir snackbox

dubrov wrote: »
    Classy way to finish sir snackbox with a veiled threat.

I don't know what has annoyed you so much anyway as you are not even a taxi driver.You mock Martin's numbers but your own analysis is very poor. The maths is wrong, you exaggerate Martin's claims and then at the end you mutilply an already 28 hour week by two suggesting that there are two sets of Fridays/Saturdays in the week.

I can't understand why someone would get into the taxi business without renting a cab first for at least a full week to see how it goes. I mean, I know the earnings for your first week might be a bit of an underestimate as I'm sure that you would grow your business and get a bit more savvy but at least it is an independent number without the influence of people with vested interests.
    veiled threat ! can you explain that one to me for goodness sake .
    the guy said that he will give out his phone number to whoever wants information on being a taxi driver .
    as for the maths
    HE said (if you actually read the WHOLE thread )
    he earns €30 an hour on a week day night (ref the first four pages of this thread)
    HE said he would earn double the €300 another poster stated they earned on a saturday night (ref the first four pages of this thread )
    HE said when another poster said that the most they earned was €400 for a saturday that HE could with ease add to that and the driver must be driving slow (ref the first four pages of this thread )
    HE said he also rents out his taxi during the day ,although he did,nt say for how much .

now lets do the maths on these figures .just an example as he didnt specify how many hours he did work in total .but he did mention that he earned more than the 40k he GF earns in her job (ref this thread)

mon = 4 hours @ €30 ......€120
    tues = 3 hours @30 ........€ 90
    wed = 4 hours @€;30 ......€120
    thurs = 4 hours @€;30 ......€120
    fri = 6 hours @€;40 ..........€240
    sat = 10 hours @60 ........€600
    grand total________
    €1290 .which kind of equates to his claims of over the 40k his GF earns
    as a part time taxi driver ,and that not even taking tips or the plate rental into consideration .look i did,nt come in here to get into a row with anyone ,and if you read my first post i was just looking for information on being a taxi driver . as i said already i could,nt give ,what was the phrase i used "a something fart " what he claims to be earning .but this stuff is the stuff of the realms of outlandish fantasy .
    then on top of these claims .he goes on to say that there are accountants who deal with taxi drivers who "massage" their accounts for them .
    (another question he failed to answer even though asked a number of times ) ref this thread post 121 .
    come on now .you dont believe this stuff .do you ?
    i was only doing a little inquiring into the taxi driving that lead me here, and had make no set plans as such .but seeing this i got involved in what i call pure lies and told him so .i have no plans of buying or renting at this stage .
    by this guys reckonings i wasted my three years in college persueing a career when all i could have done is get a taxi licence and would have been quid in .full time taxi driver on over 70k a year. paying revenue nothing because a certain accountant will massage my returns .
    my friends did a little profiling on the other stuff this guy has up on boards
    and they could pull him apart on his education claims aswell .so do you still believe hes telling the facts ?
    ive had enough of this at this time ,but being who i am will answer comments that are aimed towards me .
    but you coming here defending him and saying i made "veiled threats "i wont have .
    btw i would like you to answer that question i asked ,as i had the manners to answer yours .
    thank you

murphaph wrote: »
    Martin, you've opened a right hornet's nest! :D
    are you believing him aswell ? or moking his fantasy of a taxi driver that earns in excess of 50K driving part time .
    are you refering to moi when you say this hornets nest .because all i have done here is point out how inaccurate his statements were .

are you believing him aswell ? or moking his fantasy of a taxi driver that earns in excess of 50K driving part time .
    are you refering to moi when you say this hornets nest .because all i have done here is point out how inaccurate his statements were .
    It's been an interesting thread. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

In any competitive industry there are those who go faster, further, better than others and this being the taxi industry I think there are a lot of shady goings on. If you ask me, TaxiManMartin has made many valid points. It's for you to decide whether to believe it or not. Aren't many religions based on the same principle?

Having your friends profiling Martin is like Jesus Christ being paraded in front of the mob by Pontious Pilot. Were they right in their analysis?

It's easy to be cynical and dismissive when we hear what we don't want to hear.

I say if TaxiManMartin is earning what he says he is, then fair play to him. Some people are born to be good, some aren't. I think you should leave it at that.

NedNew wrote: »
    In any competitive industry there are those who go faster, further, better than others and this being the taxi industry I think there are a lot of shady goings on. If you ask me, TaxiManMartin has made many valid points. It's for you to decide whether to believe it or not. Aren't many religions based on the same principle?

Having your friends profiling Martin is like Jesus Christ being paraded in front of the mob by Pontious Pilot. Were they right in their analysis?

I say if TaxiManMartin is earning what he says he is, then fair play to him. Some people are born to be good, some aren't. I think you should leave it at that.
    i will take every side to any discussion and analize it for its pros and cons . points put across from both camps are questioned and answered .
    he has not answered one question posed at him on the stuff he makes claims about .
    i am going to leave this as it is .but seriously i cannot believe that people are coming on here taking the stuff he was ranting as the truth .
    my own opinion on this is that some are just the people who are adamant they hate taxi drivers and will always have that kind of thinking .
    your comparison you put about jesus christ and pontious pilot ."come on here will you" .this is just a rambling of a person living in fantasy land .
    a person who imo had a bad experience with a taxi and has decided to vent his spleen in this manner .
    if you want to use the JC arguement then ill mention adolf hitler and the nazi party .
    he was blown out of the water ,in not being able to back up his facts with answers to the questions asked.
    end of .
    and i really mean that .
    thank you and goodnight .:D:D:D:D
    the debate is now closed
    end of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

NedNew wrote: »

In fairness, Ned Ned, he came in here and gives a figure which he says he takes in but he is unable to back it up by showing his movements and fares in for these bumper Saturdays that he says he gets all the time; not alone that but he then makes some "claims" about accountants which are contentious. The best he can do to back himself up is to shout about showing accounts which is not what myself and a few drivers want to see to nor does it get himself far. We just ask him for basic figures that any driver keeps, it won't be no more than 2 minutes to scan and no longer than scanning his accounts. His business plan is not a business plan, he just states what almost every taxi company in town is doing; ie business cards, discounts, promotions on fares and a radio (Which costs a lot of money for the CB/Tx equipment and broadcast licences).

Fair enough, people can choose to believe him or now but certainly, any driver that I know (And I know a good amount) and all the major taxi companies in Dublin are losing trade by the tanker, let alone bucket load. I disbelieve him simply because my current experience and that of anybody I know in the trade utterly contradicts his claims and as of today, he hasn't gone to any effort to prove himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭dubrov

veiled threat ! can you explain that one to me for goodness sake .
    the guy said that he will give out his phone number to whoever wants information on being a taxi driver .
    as for the maths
    HE said (if you actually read the WHOLE thread )
    he earns €30 an hour on a week day night (ref the first four pages of this thread)
    HE said he would earn double the €300 another poster stated they earned on a saturday night (ref the first four pages of this thread )
    HE said when another poster said that the most they earned was €400 for a saturday that HE could with ease add to that and the driver must be driving slow (ref the first four pages of this thread )
    HE said he also rents out his taxi during the day ,although he did,nt say for how much .

now lets do the maths on these figures .just an example as he didnt specify how many hours he did work in total .but he did mention that he earned more than the 40k he GF earns in her job (ref this thread)

mon = 4 hours @ €30 ......€120
    tues = 3 hours @30 ........€ 90
    wed = 4 hours @€;30 ......€120
    thurs = 4 hours @€;30 ......€120
    fri = 6 hours @€;40 ..........€240
    sat = 10 hours @60 ........€600
    grand total________
    €1290 .which kind of equates to his claims of over the 40k his GF earns
    as a part time taxi driver ,and that not even taking tips or the plate rental into consideration .look i did,nt come in here to get into a row with anyone ,and if you read my first post i was just looking for information on being a taxi driver . as i said already i could,nt give ,what was the phrase i used "a something fart " what he claims to be earning .but this stuff is the stuff of the realms of outlandish fantasy .
    then on top of these claims .he goes on to say that there are accountants who deal with taxi drivers who "massage" their accounts for them .
    (another question he failed to answer even though asked a number of times ) ref this thread post 121 .
    come on now .you dont believe this stuff .do you ?
    i was only doing a little inquiring into the taxi driving that lead me here, and had make no set plans as such .but seeing this i got involved in what i call pure lies and told him so .i have no plans of buying or renting at this stage .
    by this guys reckonings i wasted my three years in college persueing a career when all i could have done is get a taxi licence and would have been quid in .full time taxi driver on over 70k a year. paying revenue nothing because a certain accountant will massage my returns .
    my friends did a little profiling on the other stuff this guy has up on boards
    and they could pull him apart on his education claims aswell .so do you still believe hes telling the facts ?
    ive had enough of this at this time ,but being who i am will answer comments that are aimed towards me .
    but you coming here defending him and saying i made "veiled threats "i wont have .
    btw i would like you to answer that question i asked ,as i had the manners to answer yours .
    thank you

Ok, I take your point on the veiled threats comment. Maybe it was a bit over the top:)

I did read through the whole thread though and quite enjoyed it .

In fact, Martin never mentions he earns €60 an hour on a Saturday night but more like "usually a good bit over €500". It doesn't really matter as they are all rough nmbers anyway.

The main thing is that he said he earned €43k before deductions last year. I'm not sure what deductions would be but I'd say they would be pretty significant for a taxi driver.

I mean its a decent salary for a 28 hour week but its not exactly making him a millionaire is it. Add that it will remain the same, allowing for inflation, until retirement .

The guy is cherry picking the best hours. I'd say if he worked another 20 hours a week, he'd be lucky to make another €15k. THe industry is setup to benefit part time drivers.

I'm not saying that Martin is telling the truth, he may well be a spoofer, but people trying to attack him on anything they can, even if it is completely unrelated, doesn't really do anything to discredit him.

dubrov wrote: »
    Ok, I take your point on the veiled threats comment. Maybe it was a bit over the top:)

I did read through the whole thread though and quite enjoyed it .

In fact, Martin never mentions he earns €60 an hour on a Saturday night but more like "usually a good bit over €500". It doesn't really matter as they are all rough nmbers anyway.

The main thing is that he said he earned €43k before deductions last year. I'm not sure what deductions would be but I'd say they would be pretty significant for a taxi driver.

I mean its a decent salary for a 28 hour week but its not exactly making him a millionaire is it. Add that it will remain the same, allowing for inflation, until retirement .

The guy is cherry picking the best hours. I'd say if he worked another 20 hours a week, he'd be lucky to make another €15k. THe industry is setup to benefit part time drivers.

I'm not saying that Martin is telling the truth, he may well be a spoofer, but people trying to attack him on anything they can, even if it is completely unrelated, doesn't really do anything to discredit him.

The claims he made for a saturday night are false. He couldnt back them up with a breakdown of a 2/3 hour period of runs on a saturday night thats all I asked him to do its pretty simple and he couldnt. The claims he made on here will give people unrealistic expectations. That money cant be made in a taxi its not possible trust me. If you dont believe me rent one and find out yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Just back in for a quick look.
    Nobody - not one of you posted accounts.
    As i said before, i'll post accounts AND my movements every night of the week - when one of you posts accounts.
    I'll check back in here again in a few days and see if anyones done this.
    Call me out by posting your accounts. I dare you. Then you get everything you want from me - but people get to see how much taxi drivers really make, even when they are whinging about not making money.

Its in your hands.
    bye again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

All the drivers seem petrified that someone else will enter the industry based on what they have read here.

Just back in for a quick look.
    Nobody - not one of you posted accounts.
    As i said before, i'll post accounts AND my movements every night of the week - when one of you posts accounts.
    I'll check back in here again in a few days and see if anyones done this.
    Call me out by posting your accounts. I dare you. Then you get everything you want from me - but people get to see how much taxi drivers really make, even when they are whinging about not making money.

Its in your hands.
    bye again.

Your not getting anyone to post personal info on a website. I dont want you to do it either. It would take a real driver 5 mins to give us a breakdown of 2/3 hours of a sat night. That's all I ask of you Martin prove to us all your not a spoofer,troll or an attention seeking kid.

Anyone who wants to get into taxi game rent one first dont go on the words of this spoofer or you'll be sorry. What he claims is not physically possible his continous failure to answer my question proves he's a waffler.

All the drivers seem petrified that someone else will enter the industry based on what they have read here.
    If i was terrified i would tell people not to enter the business which i havent what i've said continously is rent one first and make your own decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Theres no such thing as "taxi industry in chaos" !

More chance of not having mean taximen/women who also think they own the roads:rolleyes:

upthedub wrote: »
    Theres no such thing as "taxi industry in chaos" !

More chance of not having mean taximen/women who also think they own the roads:rolleyes:

Hows business these days upthedub still earning enough in one night to make your HOLE WEAK ?

The penny has just dropped Robert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 taylor1983

samsham wrote: »
    So why, if you cant make any money in the taxi business dont people give up the taxi and go on the dole.
    Its because either they are actually making money and pretending they re not and putting on the poor mouth for the sake of the public, or that they are just too dumb to figure out that making a loss is not viable and they would be better off on the dole.

firstly your making yourself unemployed which automatically cancels
    your mortgage and car finance protection. Also you must wait longer
    and be accessed to see if you qualify for the dole. Also working long hours will bring you above welfare rates, but you lose your family and social life.
    As for your business model it flies in the face of every other. You don't see
    16,000 McDonalds in the city center. We have 7000 Taxi per one million people the Uk has just over 1000 per million. Your not making any business
    sense

u talk so much **** it comes out ur arsehole m8, who told u that if u r unemployed it cancels ur mortgage u retard, u dont even knw what ur talkin about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 taylor1983

Ive shot down every single one of your arguments guys. Why dont you take up my offer and produce your accounts so you prove that you really are on the breadline. I'll then produce mine and you can see that, if you are on the breadline you are doing something seriously wrong.
    But i doubt any of you isnt actually making a very good living from your taxi. And people arent stupi. They know this. If you stop treting the public like they are stupid they might actually startto like us.

But there is no point arguing with dumb people here who think that just because they dont know how to make their business work that it cant be done. You can see the IQ of them here and to be honest its not worth arguing. There is always room for improvment in any business, nbut unless you try to improve your business instead of moaning that money isnt just falling into your pocke, you will never be able to improve your business.

To the guys interested in starting a taxi business who contacted me - i'll send you my phone number and you can call me. I'll give you the truth and some advice on how not to become one of the moaners in here.

But i will bid you all goodbye in this thread.

u shouldnt even bother explain urself to half these mupets on here wingin about the industry beein in chaos....if u dont like the trade get the f u k out and get urself an education...like martin said if its not worth ur while beein a taxi driver go on the dail and even if ur gonna earn less at least u get time with ur family......taxi drivers, u can never get an honest answer out of em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

taylor1983 wrote: »
    u shouldnt even bother explain urself to half these mupets on here wingin about the industry beein in chaos....if u dont like the trade get the f u k out and get urself an education...like martin said if its not worth ur while beein a taxi driver go on the dail and even if ur gonna earn less at least u get time with ur family......taxi drivers, u can never get an honest answer out of em (plus punctuation errors the whole way through...)

Education???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

u talk so much **** it comes out ur arsehole m8, who told u that if u r unemployed it cancels ur mortgage u retard, u dont even knw what ur talkin about

He said it cancels your mortgage protection. He also said if you make yourself unemployed, not if your simply unemployed.

To be fair, mortgage protection for unemployment is an insurance policy. I'd be surprised if any taxi driver is paying the premium, given their ineligibility to claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

To be fair, mortgage protection for unemployment is an insurance policy. I'd be surprised if any taxi driver is paying the premium, given their ineligibility to claim.

Its usually linked in with the serious illness protection so they most likely would be paying it as most drivers would have no safety net if they suffer such a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Danny Fisher

Hey, This thread is a loada bollix. You want to drive a taxi? Go on, do it. You don't want to drive a taxi? So, don't do it! Rent it, Buy it, and then fook off.

Hey, This thread is a loada bollix. You want to drive a taxi? Go on, do it. You don't want to drive a taxi? So, don't do it! Rent it, Buy it, and then fook off.
    erm, ok. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

f its not worth ur while beein a taxi driver go on the dail and even if ur gonna earn less at least u get time with ur family.

ah, the George Lee approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

lovely calling someone a retard and you are obviously the retard here. You did not even bother to read the finishing line in the sentence. Making yourself unemployed cancels mortgage and car finance protection you may have. your apologies are accepted, but I would suggest that next time you take the time to read. Too much of a hurry to insult people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

Originally Posted by taylor1983 viewpost.gif
    u shouldnt even bother explain urself to half these mupets on here about the industry winginbeein in chaos....if u dont like the trade get the f u k out and get urself an education...like martin said if its not worth ur while beein a taxi driver go on the dail and even if ur gonna earn less at least u get time with ur family......taxi drivers, u can never get an honest answer out of em (plus punctuation errors the whole way through...)

looks like you been downing a few too many tins of beer tonight taylor 1983.
    I am sure drivers might take you up on your advice and go back and get Educated. It seems to have worked wonders for you. The dole taylor is where the jobless get money to do nothing, the dail is another pace where politicians get paid money to do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm locking this thread pending a review of its recent contents.

And it's staying locked having just reviewed it.

Thank you for your contributions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement