Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Industry in chaos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Don't believe the moaners for a second. If there's no money in it why are they still doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

murphaph wrote: »
    A friend of mine's father drives a taxi and we often used him to get into town (before I recently left for germany). He always maintained that there was good money in it and scoffed at the lads sitting parked at the ranks and said they were amateurs. That was the guy's opinion so don't shoot the messenger. Maybe Martin isn't so far from the truth as some would like to believe.

hey listen before I left Ireland for Asia, was talking to a guy in Waterford
    that bought a seven seater van and had it fitted for wheelchairs. He spent
    €37,000 from his redundancy on it and now was disgusted he did not rent
    first to see what the business was like. He is in the business a few month
    and already trying to sell the van. Like you he was listening to taxi driver
    with an overactive imagination shooting there mouth off. He is sorry he
    listened now. What messenger are they shooting the messenger telling people
    he does not pay his taxes and has a guy working for him in the black market who
    he does not pay for either. A guy working in IT during the week when by his own
    admission there is more money in his taxi. Listen you must chose to live in cloud
    coo-koo land but not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Highsider wrote: »
    Don't believe the moaners for a second. If there's no money in it why are they still doing it?

They claim it is because they have to pay their bills, cannot get social welfare and can't get a job doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

samsham wrote: »
    that bought a seven seater van and had it fitted for wheelchairs. He spent
    €37,000 from his redundancy on it and now was disgusted he did not rent
    first to see what the business was like. He is in the business a few month
    and already trying to sell the van.
    Ya see, he's trying to sell the van because he didn't do market research. How many taxis have I ever sat in that are worth that much. Two maybe? Most drivers use cars worth about E4-E5k at most. It's not that yer man can't get work, it's that he can't get enough to cover his idiotic mistakes when choosing a vehicle.

They claim it is because they have to pay their bills, cannot get social welfare and can't get a job doing anything else.

So how do you explain the ex taxi drivers who are posting here. Who are
    in other work, like myself. I have nothing to gain by the industry being
    good or bad. But you would have to be an idiot when you look at the
    figures. Tourist numbers are down, Eastern European Immigrants are
    returning home. Jobless numbers are up. Incomes are shrinking. Bus Earann
    looks for fare increases because they can not get the customers to cover there operational costs. Our cities are gridlocked with taxis trying to get on ranks. But you expect us to believe the taxi industry is bucking the trend
    when the rest of the country is on its knees. Listen folks that fantasy stuff, I will leave it too you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

jdivision wrote: »
    Ya see, he's trying to sell the van because he didn't do market research. How many taxis have I ever sat in that are worth that much. Two maybe? Most drivers use cars worth about E4-E5k at most. It's not that yer man can't get work, it's that he can't get enough to cover his idiotic mistakes when choosing a vehicle.
    Indeed. The guy is obviously a clown with no business smarts. No market research. Listened to guy in pub and made 'business decision' based on that. I fear the reason the taxi industry is in a mess is because so many fools do things like the above.

your contradicting yourself now. Firstly you agree with martin that €600 can be made on a Sat night, Now your saying he cant make enough to cover his costs. You just argued my point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

This is just an idea, and I was wondering what other peole think of it.

Before christmas i went up to Cavan town for a night out, on our way home after the club and chipper there were no taxi's and the ranks were jammed. The locals were saying its like that every weekend and we had to walk home.

A few weeks later I was in oldcastle in meath/cavan, its not a very big place but after the nightclub, if you can call it that haha, we had to sit around on the street for maybe 20-30 mins waiting for the taxi in the town. I think there is only one and we had seen it earlier in the night. We were waiting around hoping he would come back so we could go home.

Again its regularly like that.

I was just wondering have any dublin taxt men every considered going up to a country town or village or say cavan or kells and done a nights work there after the pub?
    I dont know how much of a runner that idea would be but it seems if there are too many taxi's in dublin on a fri sat night it may, just may though be something to have a look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

your contradicting yourself now. Firstly you agree with martin that €600 can be made on a Sat night, Now your saying he cant make enough to cover his costs. You just argued my point.
    Nope I was referring to taxi drivers in Dublin, he lives in Waterford and I don't know whether he sits around on a taxi rank all day like the guys in Finglas do and then whinge about how little they earn. Again, I've heard from several taxi drivers that they earn about E600 on a Saturday night. I stand over that. Why would they exaggerate.
    CatFromHue, it happens all over the place. But a lot of drivers would prefer to sit in the rank listening to Adrian kennedy and whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Nope I was referring to taxi drivers in Dublin, he lives in Waterford and I don't know whether he sits around on a taxi rank all day like the guys in Finglas do and then whinge about how little they earn. Again, I've heard from several taxi drivers that they earn about E600 on a Saturday night. I stand over that. Why would they exaggerate.
    CatFromHue, it happens all over the place. But a lot of drivers would prefer to sit in the rank listening to Adrian kennedy and whinging.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to make 600e on any night, You could roll new years eve and all the rugby weekends into 1 and still you couldnt do it. Its not physically possible please dont listen to those morons. My advice to anyone who has redundancy to spend is to rent a cab for a couple of months and make a decision on that.

Beware of the spoofers !!!!!!

Good luck to all I've had enough of this tripe.

• Advertisement

Tourist numbers are down, Eastern European Immigrants are
    returning home.

Wow, there's a surprise! A taxi man blaming foreigners on an arbitrary matter!

For what it's worth, I didn't state that I don't believe those drivers who say they can't leave. I can understand the debt trap all too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

It is IMPOSSIBLE to make 600e on any night, You could roll new years eve and all the rugby weekends into 1 and still you couldnt do it. Its not physically possible please dont listen to those morons. My advice to anyone who has redundancy to spend is to rent a cab for a couple of months and make a decision on that.

Beware of the spoofers !!!!!!

Good luck to all I've had enough of this tripe.
    This is a funny post...ya cant earn 600 in one night...:D very funny

Wow, there's a surprise! A taxi man blaming foreigners on an arbitrary matter!

For what it's worth, I didn't state that I don't believe those drivers who say they can't leave. I can understand the debt trap all too well.

your very selective in your reading. I said Eastern Europeans workers are returning home, tourist numbers have plummeted even bus earann can't find customers to cover its operational costs, Now, how you go from that sentence to accusing me of racism is bizarre . It simple means less people are using taxis. Now refrain from gutter trash my friend, so far everyone in here has been reasonable, lets stay out of the gutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

i no taxi drivers have a bad name,but you have to feel a bit sorry for them there jobs are been giving away to every foreniger who wants it

paddyboy23 wrote: »
    i no taxi drivers have a bad name,but you have to feel a bit sorry for them there jobs are been giving away to every foreniger who wants it

Oh! mother of jepers, time to finish this post now. I emigrated in 1988 returned in 1994. At this very moment I am in south east Asia as my earlier post said with my Asian wife and kid. I am an Ex taxi driver being told taxi drivers are racist. Lads the racism on this post is not coming from Taxi drivers. Thats the last on this from me.

Oh! mother of jepers, time to finish this post now. I emigrated in 1988 returned in 1994. At this very moment I am in south east Asia as my earlier post said with my Asian wife and kid. I am an Ex taxi driver being told taxi drivers are racist. Lads the racism on this post is not coming from Taxi drivers. Thats the last on this from me.

Come on man. Lighten up!

upthedub wrote: »
    This is a funny post...ya cant earn 600 in one night...:D very funny

Not in a taxi anyway. Maybe you can make 600e a night, I suppose your not called "UP the Dub" for nothing!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

paddyboy23 wrote: »
    You, I and everyone else know its an open market. For every foreigner working here, there is an Irish person employed somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

This is taken from the Fingal County Council Enterprise Boards website

2.8 I am a non EU citizen. What must I do before starting a business in Ireland?

Answer: A non EU citizen who plans on setting up a business in Ireland must apply to the Department of Justice, equality and law reform with:

* Evidence that you have finance of at least €300,000 to fund the business
    * Details of professional/trade qualifications and experience relevant to the business
    * Business Plan with financial endorsed by a certified Accountant
    * A certificate of character’ for the police form your home country with confirmation that you do not have a criminal record.
    * You must also employ two non family members, both of whom are EU nationals.

Now as so many people on here are fond of pointing out taxi driving is a business, why are these regulations not being adhered to???

http://www.fingalceb.ie/faqs/general-business-start~up-to-do

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Taxipete29 wrote: »

2.8 I am a non EU citizen. What must I do before starting a business in Ireland?

Answer: A non EU citizen who plans on setting up a business in Ireland must apply to the Department of Justice, equality and law reform with:

* Evidence that you have finance of at least €300,000 to fund the business
    * Details of professional/trade qualifications and experience relevant to the business
    * A certificate of character’ for the police form your home country with confirmation that you do not have a criminal record.

Now as so many people on here are fond of pointing out taxi driving is a business, why are these regulations not being adhered to???

I presume that's for non-EU nationals who don't hold residency permits!

• Advertisement

* Evidence that you have finance of at least 300,000 to fund the business
    * A certificate of character for the police form your home country with confirmation that you do not have a criminal record.

Because you get great craic out of those Nigerian lads. They always seem to be friendly and glad of the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Because you get great craic out of those Nigerian lads. They always seem to be friendly and glad of the work.

And a lot of them are Irish citizens too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

And a lot of them are Irish citizens too.

Incorrect

Incorrect

How so?

Incorrect

Well maybe they don't want to be Irish citizens. They're prove of their heritage and just want to work and have a laugh.

Busy tonight Martin????????????

Spoofer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Taximen are just mean.There is money out there.If its that bad sell up and go on the dole:rolleyes:

Busy tonight Martin????????????

Spoofer

Sprained ankle. Whats your excuse?

Sprained ankle. Whats your excuse?
    Dont work fridays sat to thursday. are you going to take the time to tell us how you physically manage to pull 60 an hour now that you have the time. Give us a breakdown of the runs you could do over a 2/3 period on your average sat night???

• Advertisement

Dont work fridays sat to thursday. are you going to take the time to tell us how you physically manage to pull 60 an hour now that you have the time. Give us a breakdown of the runs you could do over a 2/3 period on your average sat night???

Welcome back Mr Lickmyballs/Gerry
    I have already described what kind of money i take and on which nights. Im not doing it again. Read my previous posts.
    If you cant make money driving a taxi you need to do something else with your life. You are obviously no good at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement