Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Industry in chaos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭samsham

topdost wrote: »
    Ok guys

read this whole post

A few simple questions

If taxi is so bad , why is it so much .?

If work is ot there why are so many people o taxi and why are so many applying?

And finally there is a ew test system from 1st of July , will that stop or reduce the umber of ew etrant?

€6,300 For the plate. If it was a good business I would not consider
    that too much. Secondly the long time unemployed are entitled to whats called a back to work scheme. Which gives that part welfare payments for
    three years. So what they make in a Taxi is topped up by welfare, its that simple. Others who lost work recently are desperately hoping its a money earner, but soon get stuck in the 70+ hours a week and no family life.
    That test in June is a joke. You can bring home a CD watch it and answer some questions on it. Mind you the Garda test was a joke too, When I did mine the Garda checked the tyres and said thats fine, go make money.

So why, if you cant make any money in the taxi business dont people give up the taxi and go on the dole.
    Its because either they are actually making money and pretending they re not and putting on the poor mouth for the sake of the public, or that they are just too dumb to figure out that making a loss is not viable and they would be better off on the dole.

firstly your making yourself unemployed which automatically cancels
    your mortgage and car finance protection. Also you must wait longer
    and be accessed to see if you qualify for the dole. Also working long hours will bring you above welfare rates, but you lose your family and social life.
    As for your business model it flies in the face of every other. You don't see
    16,000 McDonalds in the city center. We have 7000 Taxi per one million people the Uk has just over 1000 per million. Your not making any business
    sense

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

Well thats what I think

People are making it but not telling

samsham wrote: »
    So why, if you cant make any money in the taxi business dont people give up the taxi and go on the dole.
    Its because either they are actually making money and pretending they re not and putting on the poor mouth for the sake of the public, or that they are just too dumb to figure out that making a loss is not viable and they would be better off on the dole.

firstly your making yourself unemployed which automatically cancels
    your mortgage and car finance protection. Also you must wait longer
    and be accessed to see if you qualify for the dole. Also working long hours will bring you above welfare rates, but you lose your family and social life.
    As for your business model it flies in the face of every other. You don't see
    16,000 McDonalds in the city center. We have 7000 Taxi per one million people the Uk has just over 1000 per million. Your not making any business
    sense

topdost wrote: »
    Well thats what I think

People are making it but not telling

http://taxieire.lefora.com/2008/11/20/taxis-for-sale-ireland-in-recent-weeks/page1/#post2434491

suggest you look at this and ring some of them and ask why there selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

is the name of the thread...
    And like just about every thread on boards, it seems to be mainly focused on Dublin! :p

For sure they are many, many taxi drivers in Dublin

How are drivers in rural areas getting on? They possibly own minivans and possibly do some contract work for Social Welfare schemes, for elderly people.
    At least I think we have something like that in our area. Since the local post office closed and the elderly gets transport on pension day.
    Eamonn O'Cuiv seems to be the man in charge of this scheme!

It isn't a city, it's isn't even a big town.
    And at one stage we had around 15-20 taxis, well mainly hackneys to serve 7,000 people in the immediate area.
    So to order a cab could be an hour wait and you'd often have to share your cab with a neighbour when you booked it

I'm wondering if drivers in rural areas are fareing better then their city comrades

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Hamndegger wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60393932&postcount=52

Not bad but at €4+ for the first Km and then 1.35+ per km after that you should be making more if you are flat out for 10 hours on a Saturday. Do you only drive slowly or something.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60383216&postcount=34

For an example of what drivers can do to help themselves instead of complaining heres what we do.

My dad and brother are taxi drivers too. We also have 5 others in on our little club.
    Basically we have business cards printed, offering 20% off. Each of us gives these cards out. We pay between us for a flyer drop every few months too. We've got our own radios. We all go around picking up off the streets too.
    The number on the card is always diverted to someones phone who is working at the time.
    Whenever we get a call we pick up the radio and see who is free and is closest and they take the job.

So in one post you tell us you are earning a regular €60 per hour and in another you tell us you knock off 20% off fares that you and your family make from doing a leaflet drop, business cars and with a radio in each car. A radio system between a mere 7 drivers; either you are earning €70+ an hour and cutting fares down or you are earning €60 less this 20%. €.135 times 60 minutes is 81 so the scope to earn this €60 per hour is nigh impossible (most jobs don't go onto rate B), allowing for some empty car time to get from these jobs your leaflets may produce for you. Your figures do not add up and you know it.

I am with a radio company that has about 500 drivers, radio and media adverts, leaflet drops to over 100,000 homes a year, business accounts with hospitals, government department, banks, blue chip companies, legal firms, accountants, charities, cash account to hotels, pubs, guest houses, cafes, shopping centres and more and with a 20% discount and the brains in the base (And indeed the rival firms) are sure as hell not seeing close to this business you claim to be able to cover with a mere seven drivers. If they were, they'd not need to offer huge discounts

In short, you are a liar, Martin and you know it.

You seem to be making up things to suit your own agenda here.
    Its you who is the liar.

Show me where I said i make €60 an hour as you are saying. Sometimes i make more, sometimes i make less.
    I never stated i make €60 an hour. You're making up quotes again.

I also never said how many hours i work.

I also never said that every fare is less 20%. You made that up too.

I think we all know who is liar here. You. Please do not attribute quotes that people dont make to support your lies.

On your radio company.
    Conveniently you forget to mention that thousands of other drivers are also using the same radio company, spreading the fares out. Think about it. You are also forgetting to mention the fee for the radio. More hits on your profits.

You really dont have a clue mate. Do you seriously think people cant see through you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

On your radio company.
    Conveniently you forget to mention that thousands of other drivers are also using the same radio company, spreading the fares out. Think about it.

Read it again, the poster said 500 drivers use the radio company

http://taxieire.lefora.com/2008/11/20/taxis-for-sale-ireland-in-recent-weeks/page1/#post2434491

suggest you look at this and ring some of them and ask why there selling.

Those are a bit out of date arent they?

Why are a lot of them for the same phone numbers?

And what about ones with the same phone number selling taxis and in another add saying taxis wanted?

Is this another badly veiled attemp to pretend there are millions of taxi drivers trying to get out of the business?

But you'll always get people selling businesses anyway.
    There are always people who arent cut out for running their own business.
    Them getting out of the business is a good thing. Obviously they are not good at it.

There are also people who retire or leave the country. Or as was the case with a few taxi drivers i know - Banned from driving.

And besides most of those ads are for taxis to rent. You cant work all the time, so renting your taxi out is a good idea. Im renting my own out during the day now too. Might as well get a few more quid out of it and get the maintenance.

2000 Taxi drivers left the industry in 2008. That the size of the Dell factory everyone is kicking up a fuss about.

mikemac wrote: »
    Read it again, the poster said 500 drivers use the radio company

I stand corrected. He did indeed say 500 drivers. Well you have 500 people sharing the calls then. How much does this service cost you? Is the price worth te competition for fares between 500?

• Advertisement

Those are a bit out of date arent they?

Why are a lot of them for the same phone numbers?

And what about ones with the same phone number selling taxis and in another add saying taxis wanted?

Is this another badly veiled attemp to pretend there are millions of taxi drivers trying to get out of the business?

But you'll always get people selling businesses anyway.
    There are always people who arent cut out for running their own business.
    Them getting out of the business is a good thing. Obviously they are not good at it.

There are also people who retire or leave the country. Or as was the case with a few taxi drivers i know - Banned from driving.

And besides most of those ads are for taxis to rent. You cant work all the time, so renting your taxi out is a good idea. Im renting my own out during the day now too. Might as well get a few more quid out of it and get the maintenance.

I only asked you ring some and ask why there leaving. The more you post. It become more obvious you full of ****e. Bet you never had a Taxi. Indeed I would bet money on it.

2000 Taxi drivers left the industry in 2008. That the size of the Dell factory everyone is kicking up a fuss about.

So now there are 2000 less taxis on the road - Leaving openings for people who can actually run a business.
    Survival of the fittest. A good thing.

I only asked you ring some and ask why there leaving. The more you post. It become more obvious you full of ****e. Bet you never had a Taxi. Indeed I would bet money on it.

I know people who have left the business. It wasnt for them. They couldnt hack it. they did something else. This happens in every industry. I know why people leave. Retirement, banned, found something else, or just plain no good at it and couldnt make money.

post your tax returns here and then we will have no choice but to believe you.

post your tax returns here and then we will have no choice but to believe you.

I'll make a deal with you.
    Post yours and i'll post mine.
    We can both prove what we are saying. I'm all for it.

By the way, if you are anything like me, you wont have your full income declared in your tax returns, but since we all know what kind percentage of it you can knock off, so we'll still be able to work out what we each make.

I have a feeling you wont go for this though as it will show you not to be in the poor house at all. But you did suggest it, so you post and i'll post.

By the way, if you are anything like me, you wont have your full income declared in your tax returns, but since we all know what kind percentage of it you can knock off, so we'll still be able to work out what we each make.

I have a feeling you wont go for this though as it will show you not to be in the poor house at all. But you did suggest it, so you post and i'll post.

your not reading the posts are you. I am no longer a Taxi driver. I am interested in how your making a fortune. I am in south east Asia and there are more taxis here than customers, its a cut trout business here. At the Airport if your not going far they wont take you. That's what you want for Ireland. Taxi drivers fighting for the crumbs.

your not reading the posts are you. I am no longer a Taxi driver. I am interested in how your making a fortune. I am in south east Asia and there are more taxis here than customers, its a cut trout business here. At the Airport if your not going far they wont take you. That's what you want for Ireland. Taxi drivers fighting for the crumbs.

So post your last sets of accounts. The supposedly bad ones that caused you to leave the industry.
    Lets do this. You did suggest it.
    Dont back out now.

Actually, since you are backing out i'll make a deal with ANY taxi driver here who claims that they arent making any money.
    Post your accounts and i'll post mine.
    You go first though as it was one of you guys who suggested it. Because i know none of you will post them as people will see if you really are are in the poor house right away.

last tax was 23,000 before deductions if I am correct.

just to add to that in Waterford rapid cabs charge €145.00 a week
    for a radio. needless to say to I did not join.

last tax was 23,000 before deductions if I am correct.

What a cop out. Thats not tax returns. Anyone can write down any figure they want. People arent going to fall for that.

I can tell you that i made 43,000 before deductions and was in university for that year too. But i can prove that no more than you can prove your 23k that you wrote there.

Lets post copies of our actual audited accounts. And then people can see exactly what we make and what deductions we are making.
    There will be no hiding the truth for either of us.

• Advertisement

What a cop out. Thats not tax returns. Anyone can write down any figure they want. People arent going to fall for that.

I can tell you that i made 43,000 before deductions and was in university for that year too. But i can prove that no more than you can prove your 23k that you wrote there.

Lets post copies of our actual audited accounts. And then people can see exactly what we make and what deductions we are making.
    There will be no hiding the truth for either of us.

hang on a moment you have a second job you leasing a taxi and driving yourself at the weekends. Your are a Prsi contributor. your taxes paid
    will be on your last payslip. You just hung yourself. What a bull****ter you are.

hang on a moment you have a second job you leasing a taxi and driving yourself at the weekends. Your are a Prsi contributor. your taxes paid
    will be on your last payslip. You just hung yourself. What a bull****ter you are.

Not at all. You are completely wrong again.

My payslip has my tax and prsi paid for my full-time job.
    My taxi business is separate. I have to submit Form11 (i havent done it yet) at the end of every tax year. I pay the tax then that i am out by.
    I need seperate accounts for the taxi.

And the taxi accounts i will be submitting here when i see yours or even another drivers will be for a year when i wasnt working paye anyway, when i was at college - so no second job at that time. I only recently started the full-time job. So we should be comparing like with like regardless.

But you are trying to change the subject arent you.
    Lets do what you suggested and submit accounts here.
    You dont want to do it now do you. I wonder why.
    The only one hanging themselves here is you. There is no way you are going to post those accounts is there.
    You'll just post excuse after excuse and keep changing the subject until we forget about your suggestion. It backfired on you.
    Now you cant post them because they will show you to be the liar here.

Did anyone ever wonder why no taxi driver will post his accounts on any public forum? Because then hey can pretend they are living in poverty anymore. Because there is no hiding behind what was submitted to revenue. The regulator knows what these returns really are. Thats why they ignore the poor mouth statements.

Sorry I ment PAYE worker. I would have no problem posting my accounts
    however I would block out my address. But as I told you I am in Asia bringing the kid to see grandparents. Accounts are in Ireland . Just a question after you have declared 45,000 for the taxi business are you then not on the high tax band for your other income, ie second job and renting the plate. If so it would hardly be worth it.

Sorry I ment PAYE worker. I would have no problem posting my accounts
    however I would block out my address. But as I told you I am in Asia bringing the kid to see grandparents. Accounts are in Ireland . Just a question after you have declared 45,000 for the taxi business are you then not on the high tax band for your other income, ie second job and renting the plate. If so it would hardly be worth it.

I thought you'd back out alright.
    Yes i am on the high tax rate. Im already into it with my full time job, so though i can skim a fair amount of the taxi income the top (creative accounting, as any driver will know), the rest is still taxed at the top rate. Its still worth it though. All of the profit from the taxi straight into savings and will buy me a house outright some day - i hope.

Obviously im antagonizing the other divers a bit here, so im going to just leave it. All i wanted to do in the first place was point out that the average punter knows drivers are lying about being on the breadline, so keeping saying that is just going to make people laugh at taxi drivers all the more. Dont treat the average punter like a thick sh!te. In general they are not.

If any taxi driver wants to post scans of their accounts here, then pm me i'll post mine here too. I dont see any of them doing that though.
    so Bye for now.

Chill out guys its just a forum Not a Taxi Rank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

It's true. Taxi drivers in Dublin tend to be degree educated, IT consulting, Dickens reading gents who have been company directors. Or at least there is enough about the job to attract a good few of them. Fact is that this class of taxi driver is not in keeping with those in the rest of the world. They are a temporary anomaly. And in 15 years time the driver who taxis because it suits his hours and pays as much as working in finance will be a thing of the past.

That is what the taxi regulator is working towards. And I think it's right.

How come they all dress so poorly then...sloppy looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 The_Cable_Guy

I've read some tripe in my time but this lot takes the biscuit.

I don't care how much any of you do or do not make but I'll tell you one thing, one person here is definitely breaking the law, submitting false information to Revenue, under declaration of profits (not income, PROFITS), skimming, creative accounting, percentages knocked off!

When asked to back up statements made in the forum, they attack the poster by requesting THEIR details.

The poster asked YOU to prove what you say, not the other way around!

Remember Revenue can find you, you have an IP address.

Now grow up and go play with your matchbox taxis :mad:

Oh and listen out for the taxman, I'm sure he'll be calling round real soon :eek:

Hahaha

The way you way said about taxman, he looks like james bond,

target fouud.....locked and fire ......

I don't care how much any of you do or do not make but I'll tell you one thing, one person here is definitely breaking the law, submitting false information to Revenue, under declaration of profits (not income, PROFITS), skimming, creative accounting, percentages knocked off!

When asked to back up statements made in the forum, they attack the poster by requesting THEIR details.

Oh and listen out for the taxman, I'm sure he'll be calling round real soon :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

We can both prove what we are saying. I'm all for it.

what a sap u are.

• Advertisement

He'll never take me alive :D

Sure ll he has to do is pick any taxi driver and audit them. We all do it. If you havent been careful with hiding your creative accounting in your returns then you'll be caught. Simple as.

Why dont we tell everyone about certain accountants we all know about, who specialize in tax advice :D

I see a few of my fellow drivers are worried that i let the cat out of the bag on the taxes.

Seriously does any driver here think everyone doesnt know what we do with our taxes? Not one driver i know of declares all his takings to the tax man. And not one of them doesnt take every opportunity to throw in extra expenses whenever he can too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement