Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags - This time a little TOO close to home

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

*RANT*

I generally encounter scum on an almost daily basis being in the city centre everyday but today a rather shocking thing happened to me. I had the pleasure of two total scumbags breaking into my house while i was upstairs alone.

I was only home after an exam at approx. 12 o'clock today and went upstairs to chill. I heard a knock at the door....another...another. I looked down towards the front door and noticed two figures. There has been an increased amount of nuisance calls from knackers and politicians lately so i ignored it and went back to my room. Ten minutes later there was another knock and again the same figures at the door. I said **** it, i'll go down and take their leaflet's/refuse to buy their carpets.

Just as i got to the stairs BANG, the door burst open and in comes these two delinquents that i can only akin to Adam & Paul with a big screw driver. I stood there shocked for a moment at what i had just witnessed and then i just let out a "What the FCUK!" roar at them. I ran down the stairs at them shouting "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU" and they scrambled out the door equally as shocked as i was, they must have been sure nobody was in after their little previous test call. I chased them all the way out to the road and had to stop as i was in my bare feet which is a good thing as i'd probably be in a cell tonight if i caught them.

This was right in the middle of the day in a pretty busy area. I'm pretty pissed i didn't catch them but i suppose it could have been worse. Perhaps if i had of opened the door they would have plunged the screw driver into me or something.

I made a statement and the guards went around the area a few times with the descriptions i gave. Forensics also came out and got some prints but as it stands they have gotten completely away with this and will probably do the same thing tomorrow.

I just wish these people would just do us all a favour and die. They have no shame. Anybody ever have a similar experience to this?

:mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

'must have thought you had a screw loose

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

screwdriver salesmen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

That sucks, Dude. But you're right, you could have got hurt. Thank Buddha you didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

OP, if it's not too much info whereabouts in Dublin was this. If you don't want to give your area, maybe your post code?

It's just you are saying there are warnings in your area and you have me worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Gazza22 wrote: »
    I chased them all the way out to the road and had to stop as i was in my bare feet which is a good thing as i'd probably be in a cell tonight if i caught them

Id probably react the same but chances are you'd be in hospital tonight with screwdriver in you. These scumbags wouldnt hesitate if provoked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It dident happen to me but my friend.Dunno if its a bad as yours but its pretty bad.

Our local drunk,in his usual drunken state was in the main street singing the usual RA songs and threatining to have people taken "care of",we are used to that.

Its when the friend was driving past,slow pace in the built up traffic,he had his window down about half way.Cue the drunk ambling over,undoing his jocks and he goes on to slip his penis into the car through the open window.

No doubt a lot of screams and throttle action.

He's harmless but rotten,like the day he whack one out in a cafe all over the floor and just got up and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

A nearby neighbour saw two guys climbing into a house at the back a few weeks ago , in broad daylight to . But she just assumed they were locked out .Only later did she realise they were robbers .The cops turned up pretty quick and gave chase .Not sure if they were caught but it put everybody on their gaurd .

A horrible expierence for you OP and you must be still in state of shock .This is a common occurence for many people and as you say yourself , it could have turned out much worse if they had turned on you ( or you on them ) .Take it easy and best wish's .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

quarryman wrote: »
    screwdriver salesmen?

I can picture the marketing slogan already. Buy or die.

Anyway OP nasty incident alright. If they got prints of the door and their prints are in the system they won't get away with it. Quite a serious offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I guess it shows that regardless of what doors we have, they're pretty useless when scum want to break in. I've broken into my own house(s) a few times with relative ease when I've forgotten keys/locked myself out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

They were just Fianna Fail canvassers. Nobody's answering the door for them and they're just breaking in now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In future answer your door when it rings. Just make sure your always chaopping up something big in the kithen and happen to walk to the door with a big butchers knife in your hand. You'll find the rate of scumbags knocking on your door to break in falls sharply........

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Happened in my uncles house across the road from mine a few years ago, on a quiet country road. My Dad and cousin heard something and went running up, to see figures in the hallway. They came out and one hopped the wall, my cousin grabbed the other one and had him against the wall but he broke away. They got over the wall and into a waiting car which had a woman and child in it. They only stole around €100 from my Aunts handbag.

They were identified but the gaurds never took the case forward and they got away scott free. The worst thing is we know who one of them is, from the local village. I remember being at mass on Christmas day two years ago and he was sitting in front of me and my family, made me so angry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

That's pretty ****ty - only advice I can offer (from working in a convenience shop a few years ago) is that chasing them is fairly pointless unless you're actually going to kill them if you catch them. Just chase them out of the house and make sure you remember what they looked like/ clothes/ identifying tatoos etc. It sounds simple but if you don't make a concious effort to do it it's amazing how easy it is not to be able to recall any decent details about them to the gaurds afterwards.

Did they find them in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Thank God you caught them in the hall, can you imagine if they had gotten up the stairs and didn't have a quick exit?
    Glad it turned out ok for you.
    Maybe get a mortise lock fitted,it does make it harder for them as it causes them to make more noise when trying to gain entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

*RANT*

I generally encounter scum on an almost daily basis being in the city centre everyday but today a rather shocking thing happened to me. I had the pleasure of two total scumbags breaking into my house while i was upstairs alone.

I was only home after an exam at approx. 12 o'clock today and went upstairs to chill. I heard a knock at the door....another...another. I looked down towards the front door and noticed two figures. There has been an increased amount of nuisance calls from knackers and politicians lately so i ignored it and went back to my room. Ten minutes later there was another knock and again the same figures at the door. I said **** it, i'll go down and take their leaflet's/refuse to buy their carpets.

Just as i got to the stairs BANG, the door burst open and in comes these two delinquents that i can only akin to Adam & Paul with a big screw driver. I stood there shocked for a moment at what i had just witnessed and then i just let out a "What the FCUK!" roar at them. I ran down the stairs at them shouting "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU" and they scrambled out the door equally as shocked as i was, they must have been sure nobody was in after their little previous test call. I chased them all the way out to the road and had to stop as i was in my bare feet which is a good thing as i'd probably be in a cell tonight if i caught them.

This was right in the middle of the day in a pretty busy area. I'm pretty pissed i didn't catch them but i suppose it could have been worse. Perhaps if i had of opened the door they would have plunged the screw driver into me or something.

I made a statement and the guards went around the area a few times with the descriptions i gave. Forensics also came out and got some prints but as it stands they have gotten completely away with this and will probably do the same thing tomorrow.

I just wish these people would just do us all a favour and die. They have no shame. Anybody ever have a similar experience to this?

:mad:

A very similar thing happend to a friend of mine two weeks ago. He was in his house in the middle of the day and next thing he heard the front door being kicked in down stairs. He ran down the stairs and the two little knackers ran off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Yeah thanks everyone, i was a bit shook up but fine after awhile as at the end of the day no damage was done apart from a flat head screw driver mark on the door. What they do is put the flat head in near where the latch is situated and give it a thump. If your double/triple lock is not on the door will pop open, especially with wooden frames.
    mikemac wrote: »
    OP, if it's not too much info whereabouts in Dublin was this. If you don't want to give your area, maybe your post code?
    Dublin 6. The guards said it becoming more common lately in the D12 to D6 area. Just be aware of of any shady characters knocking on your door.
    Stee wrote: »
    Id probably react the same but chances are you'd be in hospital tonight with screwdriver in you. These scumbags wouldnt hesitate if provoked.

Yeah you're right, it's still very annoying to let these type of people away with this. :(
    dsmythy wrote: »
    Anyway OP nasty incident alright. If they got prints of the door and their prints are in the system they won't get away with it. Quite a serious offence.

Forensics said the prints were of poor quality, slightly smudged but he would look at them under the micro this evening. Hopefully they return something
    t-ha wrote: »

Did they find them in the end?

The guards will have access to CCTV from a local shop tomorrow, with a bit of luck they will appear on that.
    Maybe get a mortise lock fitted,it does make it harder for them as it causes them to make more noise when trying to gain entry.

The door we have has a 5 point lock system on it but nobody ever thinks of using these features when your in the house i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Poker at the ready by the door from now on.

To smash the politicians' faces in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The door we have has a 5 point lock system on it but nobody ever thinks of using these features when your in the house i suppose.

I'm hoping this won't mess up your insurance claim if a new door or repair is needed.
    Or the landlords claim maybe.

Insurance companies will weasel out of it is they can find something in the small print. Well I suppose if it's in the contract then they do nothing wrong, you get what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

if u hada answered the 1st time i wonder what bull**** excuse they had for knocking at ur door...

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

And yet if you were to defend yourself had they attacked you, you would be the criminal. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

marko91 wrote: »
    if u hada answered the 1st time i wonder what bull**** excuse they had for knocking at ur door...

A few years ago we had a guy come to our door selling a 2nd hand electric drill. Had it in his hand. Outside of our driveway was his small car, driver door wide open, engine running. We live on a Cul de Sac & my brother saw him drive up, get out and walk into our driveway. We declined, bemused by the sales pitch, then he got into his car and drove off.

2 weeks later a neighbours house was robbed. Probably after a similar incident, except they didn't answer.

Window cleaning. Grass cutting. I'm sure they had something. If an elderly lady opened the door then robbery would be their excuse i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Just waiting for the PC but they're from a lower socio economic background...not their fault comment....

...puts on kettle

Indie18 wrote: »
    A very similar thing happend to a friend of mine two weeks ago. He was in his house in the middle of the day and next thing he heard the front door being kicked in down stairs. He ran down the stairs and the two little knackers ran off.

Same story here is Swords. Couple Saturdays ago at 9.30 in the evening after a couple went out for the evening this gang of scumbag teens started trying to pound their front door in with a battering ram. Half the street called the Gardai i'd say. They came but the scum scattered all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Happened to me once, they were trying to break into the back of the house (slight damage done to window) they gave up trying and were down the road when I saw them.

I asked them what were they up to. They said they were visiting the house behind me, which was impossible as there was a very high wall and fence.

Called the police, heard nothing after about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

dsmythy wrote: »
    Same story here is Swords. Couple Saturday's ago at 9.30 in the evening after a couple went out for the evening this gang of scumbag teens started trying to pound their front door in with a battering ram. Half the street called the Gardai i'd say. They came but the scum scattered all over.

Dirty ****ers.

I remember when my Uncle's house got robbed a few years back-around the time of a horse fair coincidentally (wasn't living in the house at the time) they took absolutely everything-even the fireplaces. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Happened to an old woman around the corner, Anto broke in to find a fat lady rugby tackling him to the ground, She jumped on top of him and rang the feds, You wouldn't get up after her sitting on ya, Shes the size of an elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭honey79

i have heard loads of similar stories lately
    have been told when you open door they jsut try to seel you something person at the door on the phone talking to someody few feet away
    scary thing but glad your ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Happened to an old woman around the corner, Anto broke in to find a fat lady rugby tackling him to the ground, She jumped on top of him and rang the feds, You wouldn't get up after her sitting on ya, Shes the size of an elephant.

Would've been easier, quicker and a lot cheaper just to call the Garda tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Yeah it's been happening around my area a lot lately too, watch out for travellers who are looking to "power hose your patio" etc.

I had the house to myself last week so i had thought about creating a Home Alone type scenario if any of the smelly bandits came knocking on my door, after a long think i came to the conclusion that such mayhem wouldn't be feasible in a three bedroomed semi-detached.

Advertisement