Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicitated Texts from Poker Rooms

Options
  • 09-05-2009 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

I've been recieving what I consider to be spam and unsolicitated mails from a certain poker club over the last week or so,

Since it is a company phone I need it to stop.. I have replied to the mails asking for no more to be sent and they keep coming...

anyone else get these? How do I get them to stop?

If anything they are making absolutely sure that I never play there..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

yeah everyone will deny it but poker organisers are definately sharing their contact numbers imo.
    Can happen when you sign up at regional games when you have to fill out a sheet or from online reg for live tourneys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭hatedajacks

Yea paul I am getting the same ones. Really pissing me off to be honest. A text now and then to inform you of upcoming big games is fine imo but daily texts telling u about there 3 euro rebuys is pretty annoying to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Same nonsense here and I assume from the same place. I replied by text telling them not to send me any more.
    I couldn't say they were completely unsolicited as I put my phone number on their signing up form, but it had no opt out from texts. They get this one chance not to send me any more.

The thing is that I have no problem with getting one text every now and then when they have a special event or update their schedule but spamming with texts each and every day is just stupid and only ever going to piss people off and make it much less likely for me to spend my money with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Same nonsense here and I assume from the same place. I replied by text telling them not to send me any more.
    I couldn't say they were completely unsolicited as I put my phone number on their signing up form, but it had no opt out from texts. They get this one chance not to send me any more.

The thing is that I have no problem with getting one text every now and then when they have a special event or update their schedule but spamming with texts each and every day is just stupid and only ever going to piss people off and make it much less likely for me to spend my money with them.

yeah ob the same place.. but just because you put a contact number on an application form should not open you up to getting barraged by unwanted texts and they keep coming despite replying to them as they arrive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Wasnt there something brought in about this type of thing by the regulator - text STOP in reply and you they have to remove you iirc. Might be worth having a gander at the regulator site about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭cardrooms

I run a poker club and send out a regular text to all my members, most of whom offer their number so that they can receive the text. I'll admit that sometimes we can go overboard but thats because we want to make sure that everyone knows/remembers so there is a good turn-out. In any case, if a person asks for the texts to stop, I would delete there number immediately and so should anyone else.

As for companies sharing numbers, I really couldn't imagine it cause I have gathered my whole database of contact details and I'm not giving them to someone else so can take my customers but I do on the odd occasion send out a text for another event without giving them my numbers.

A good point was made about receiving texts for €3 games that you are not intestested in. I receive messages for games that sometime are over 100 miles away from me which is pointless. What I do is split my contact numbers into different groups, e.g. low buy-ins, medium buy-in and larger buy-in and send each txt to the relevant group because it is only a matter of time until you annoy someone so much that they won't play in your club.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

dK1NG wrote: »
    Wasnt there something brought in about this type of thing by the regulator - text STOP in reply and you they have to remove you iirc. Might be worth having a gander at the regulator site about it.

this is correct, if its a text under European Law once you reply STOP they are obliged to stop or face prosecution, but pretty sure that this refers to the automated texts that are sent out that costs you every time you receive them re: ringtones/games etc.

For someone who just has a small set up like one of the last posters, i'm sure if you just ask them nicely to stop they will.

Regards mail, I'm not sure what you can do....there's usually an unsubscribe link, I'm getting them about some Life festival that I never subscribed to and theres not a link however.
    I worked in a hotel group which sent out monthly ezines and special offer emails to our database, which was about 22,000 emails....and we took getting emails asking us to stop sending thigs very seriously and made sure the emails were removed from our databases completely asap, however other companies will ignore this/won't be so diligent.
    Next e-mail tell them if you receive one more you're complaining about their company to the Regulatory Authority (something as ominous sounding-google/make up) and see if it does the trick!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Yeah ive been getting the same, sometimes getting two of the same messages a day, it absolutely irritates the fcuk out of me. I dont know why i put my number down UGH stupid me.

I get the occasional text from the SE reminiding me of upcoming games and satellite nights, yeah thats all fine, but as you's have said to get texts everyday is just not on.

I have actually text the card room manager twice and asked him to remove me from the text mailing list but still have not been removed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

I get them also, there not as bad as the ones I get from some ****e hole called Limelight which is up the north of Ireland, every fkin day. I hope the place blows up, cant evn repsond to the texts as the number is just "LIMELIGHT"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Most clubs use a service called Click-a-tell which operate out of the UK and offer extremely competitive prices on bulk texts. They send messages from a UK message centre which obviously can't be replied to. The easiest way is to ring the club in question soon after the message has been received because that way you're likely to catch them when they still have the text program and database open and have no excuse for not removing you.

Alternatively, Click-a-tell run a no-spam policy, and you can have your number removed from texting lists by going: here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭HIVeindhoven

Easy waey to stop this-dont give em your number in the first place! I always put down false numbers on those forms

When i joined a club in the NW where i am living now, the form asked me to put down Phone no. and address of my employer. WTF would they ever need that for?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,195 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭The Poker Room

Hi,

I will happily remove anyone from the text list at your request, simply Pm me your number and the number that you have been receiving texts from.

Most people complain about lack of numbers at tournaments, In order for a new club to get numbers it has to get the message out there. A lot of people like the texts and get annoyed when they dont get them but we dont want to annoy people who don't want them.

So I am sorry If the texts have annoyed you but everyone who requests will be removed ASAP . As for sharing numbers it doesn't happen as far as I know. If your getting text you have signed up to the club and put down your text number its as simple as that.

Thanks Ross The Poker Room.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I get some txts from a few different sources, only gave my number to one many years ago, then I stopped putting my number on their sign up forms.

Sorry I got to this thread late been in the Red Cow all weekend.

Didn't send any text today and will remove everyone from the stop list tomorrow if you can get me your Name and number.

I don't expect people to understand and no one wants to be badgered but the difference between texts each day and no texts each day is 20 additional players in the tournament each night. If you show up at the tournament and there is no numbers then you get pissed off and leave, so your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Anyway truly sorry if you have been getting texts that annoy you and we will do our very best to get you removed ASAP from the list.

Thanks Ross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭PiperT

Sorry I got to this thread late been in the Red Cow all weekend.

Didn't send any text today and will remove everyone from the stop list tomorrow if you can get me your Name and number.

I don't expect people to understand and no one wants to be badgered but the difference between texts each day and no texts each day is 20 additional players in the tournament each night. If you show up at the tournament and there is no numbers then you get pissed off and leave, so your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Anyway truly sorry if you have been getting texts that annoy you and we will do our very best to get you removed ASAP from the list.

Thanks Ross.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing if people have given you their mobile numbers willingly. I don't put my number on sign-up forms at live games e.t.c for this very reason. It would make sense to give people the option to "opt-out" in the body of your text message - this is very easy to do.

Thanks for your PM Ross,

I have sent you my phone number to have it removed.

I hadn't mention your club in particular as I also get them from elsewhere and they havn't stopped as yet...but they are not as frequent as yours..

When I need to see whats on I'll take a look at your website.

WOW....

Just recieved a PM from The Poker Room informing me not to worry about recieving any more texts as I am barred from all his venues!!

thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Macspower wrote: »

thoughts?

very unfair imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

WOW....

Just recieved a PM from The Poker Room informing me not to worry about recieving any more texts as I am barred from all his venues!!

thoughts?

Ban me next please,my phone number is........no wait,maybe PM me instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Won't be many venues to be banned from this time next year :)

Hi Paul,

The reason your banned is not due to this thread its due to your behaviour on several visits to both my rooms.

Will not go in to details on a public forum but I am sure you can guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

WOW....

thoughts?
    Well there's two sides to every story.

Lao Lao wrote: »
    What is it that you are meant to have done on several occasions in both his clubs. Completely bizarre altogether!

I have just made this point with Lloyd.. some people have read his slanderous allegations before they were removed.. therefore I should be entitled to reply in the public forum...

here is his comment and my reply I was about to post before it got locked....

Mods There was an alligation in the public forum... I have every right to reply... nothing here breaking any rules...

Hi Paul,

The reason your banned is not due to this thread its due to your behaviour on several visits to both my rooms.

Will not go in to details on a public forum but I am sure you can guess.

here was my proposed reply..

Excuse me????????

I have made 1 visit to Celbridge with many of the good people on here and had a very enjoyable evening....

I have made several visits to your tallaght room when you were running the firday afternoon games but havn't visited in a while... I won a few times and was always made feel welcome by all your staff..

As most people on here would know me and know my "behaviour" in all poker clubs... I would be quite happy to discuss the matter in public forum since you have made these completely unfounded and unjustified accusations and I believe your comments have already placed a slur on my character by insinuation that something happened at your club??

I invite you to publically air your alligations so I can clear my good name to the poker community...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Popcorn pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

what ever he says ya know that ya wouldnt be banned if this thread wasn't started imo funny how your only banned when he's seen the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

hot-popcorn-girl.jpg

/derail

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement