Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling brawlers of Balbriggan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Dudess wrote: »
    As I already mentioned, I worked in housing in Cork. The notion that travellers get prioritised over settled people and given spacious houses (implying luxury ones) while the rest wait for "dog boxes"... is absolute horse manure. Pretty much all travellers were housed in The Glen, Knocknaheeny, the old Blackpool flats, Mahon and the deprived parts of Mayfield - the least desired areas of Cork. If a four-bedroom house was needed, off to Knocknaheeny they'd be sent.

Where i live travellers most certainly do get nice houses. They are bungalow type houses and are very pleasant. It would be a place you wouldnt mind living in yourself till it gets destroyed. Unfortunately they always seem to do. The one near me seems to have cleaned up the estate abit though from the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

As I already mentioned, I worked in housing in Cork. The notion that travellers get prioritised over settled people and given spacious houses (implying luxury ones) while the rest wait for "dog boxes"... is absolute horse manure. Pretty much all travellers were housed in The Glen, Knocknaheeny, the old Blackpool flats, Mahon and the deprived parts of Mayfield - the least desired areas of Cork. If a four-bedroom house was needed, off to Knocknaheeny they'd be sent.

Shots for em. Why shouldnt they all be tarred with the one brush? After the episode in Balbriggan, people will think that travellers are all the same. I get punished when paying my car insurance because all young men are "risks", i get punished because our government cant organise a piss up in a brewery, which means i have to pay extra taxes to make up for their mistakes.

Answer this honestly Dudess - Would you fancy a family of travellers moving into the house next your yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

That sounds awfully like something a bigot would say!
    Oh and I notice you gave a thumbs up to someone who quoted something I said out of context and made the remark "that's like something a bigot would say" (presume they were being ironic, considering they know me as a poster).

I was quoting you just to show that you (as boards.ie's most PC poster) are now so left wing, you've gone full circle and ended up on the right! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was quoting you just to show that you (as boards.ie's most PC poster) are now so left wing, you've gone full circle and ended up on the right! :D
    :D That's what I thought...
    This thread reminds me of how the extreme left can be as narrow-minded and aggressive and intransigent as the extreme right.
    And I've always wondered why it's seemingly necessary for there to be such sneering at people opening sentences with "I'm not racist but..." Actually, it doesn't ALWAYS mean they're racist (maybe reading what they have to say would ascertain whether or not this is the case), they might be making a reasonable point (e.g. that the country can only cope economically with so many immigrants) but feeling under pressure to preface it with "I'm not racist but..." as they're afraid their view will offend certain people and they'll get jumped on...

Shots for em. Why shouldnt they all be tarred with the one brush? After the episode in Balbriggan, people will think that travellers are all the same. I get punished when paying my car insurance because all young men are "risks", i get punished because our government cant organise a piss up in a brewery, which means i have to pay extra taxes to make up for their mistakes.

Answer this honestly Dudess - Would you fancy a family of travellers moving into the house next your yours?
    Perhaps read my posts prior to the one you quoted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

:D That's what I thought...
    This thread reminds me of how the extreme left can be as narrow-minded and aggressive and intransigent as the extreme right.
    And I've always wondered why it's seemingly necessary for there to be such sneering at people opening sentences with "I'm not racist but..." Actually, it doesn't ALWAYS mean they're racist (maybe reading what they have to say would ascertain whether or not this is the case), they might be making a reasonable point (e.g. that the country can only cope economically with so many immigrants) but feeling under pressure to preface it with "I'm not racist but..." as they're afraid their view will offend certain people and they'll get jumped on...

People should never say that though when making a point about anything, it puts them on the back foot and enables people to cloud the issue, and its easier to cloud an issue with buzzwords than for people to argue against a viewpoint. Extreme anything is always narrow-minded in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Jasus this is gas!

Davei141 wrote: »
    Extreme anything is always narrow-minded in my opinion.
    Yeah, moderate, taking both sides into account seems to be too boring for many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Intolerance is cool now is it? Must get me some of that bigoted bandwagon so.

intollerance of a culture of dysfunctionality and irresponsibility has always been cool , its just our liberal media establishment decided it wasnt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

all the boys shouting have plenty to say when the gards are around!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Well there are housing estates in Dublin,primarily in Blanchardstown,Finglas and Tallaght,that are purely traveller estates,and even though they are well built,full of ammenities,spacious,nice to look at,they have become gloomy kips in the past 5 years,and dens of inequaity,Im on a housing list two years and havent heard boo about a house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Well there are housing estates in Dublin,primarily in Blanchardstown,Finglas and Tallaght,that are purely traveller estates

Which ones in Tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

regarding the views that tinkers are poor

a large percentage of them do very nicely engaging in an age ol practice of going round rural ireland painting the roofs of farmers outbuildings , the paint they use is a mixture of paint and diesel with a ratio of about 1.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm not shy in admitting I'm a passive racist when it comes to the subject of travellers. I have my opinions and it would appear that, in today's climate, racist is the nearest word that seems to fit. Of course, I feel I am justified in holding these views given experience and what I see on a daily basis. I can honestly say that I cannot think of any other area on God's earth where I would have anywhere near the same distain as I do for these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

oldyouth wrote: »
    I'm not shy in admitting I'm a passive racist when it comes to the subject of travellers. I have my opinions and it would appear that, in today's climate, racist is the nearest word that seems to fit. Of course, I feel I am justified in holding these views given experience and what I see on a daily basis. I can honestly say that I cannot think of any other area on God's earth where I would have anywhere near the same distain as I do for these people.

Me too,Im Nazi when it comes to travellers,even when my missus was having her child,she shared a ward with a traveller woman,and this womans kids,husband/partner,came in everyday,stripped there clothes off and washed themselves at the sink in the ward,which all the women in the ward shared,it was unbelievable,I had a go with the savage,and was like talking to a dog,informed security,but apparently they were coming up and doing it everyday,didnt really endear me to the plight of the travellers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I brought up the "leftie" thing because this is the one thing you and I disagree on, therefore I'm a bigot. How openminded of you.

I thought someone had taken over your account when I saw the first few posts by you on this thread. For someone who wants to appear openminded you're doing a great job of acting the opposite.

... as are you. And I don't want to appear openminded, I am openminded. That sometimes includes acknowledging more conservative points of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

In order to be openminded now you have to agree with people who display hatred towards entire communities? If that's the case then I'll gladly not be your type of openminded.

Why don't you acknowledge the 200 years of institutionalised discrimination and isolation as I've repeatedly pointed out? You know why parents of 20 something and younger travellers don't teach their kids that they should go to school and get a job? Because until ten years ago there wasn't any laws preventing employers discriminating against travellers. Those parents have been discriminated against their whole lives, you think that doesn't affect a person's outlook? But hey its ok to hate travellers because they aren't taking personal responsibility.

In order to be openminded now you have to agree with people who display hatred towards entire communities?
    Um... no? What the hell are you being so disingenuous for?

There is nothing hateful about acknowledging the high levels of violence and crime within traveller society and viewing this as problematic and being of the opinion travellers themselves need to take responsibility for it. Actually those aren't even conservative viewpoints.
    Why don't you acknowledge the 200 years of institutionalised discrimination and isolation as I've repeatedly pointed out?
    I did. Several posts back.
    You know why parents of 20 something and younger travellers don't teach their kids that they should go to school and get a job? Because until ten years ago there wasn't any laws preventing employers discriminating against travellers. Those parents have been discriminated against their whole lives, you think that doesn't affect a person's outlook? But hey its ok to hate travellers because they aren't taking personal responsibility.
    You're just selecting bits of what I post, determined to paint me as some sort of reprehensible bigot because you're desperate to find something to be offended by here. You disagree with my point of view (why? Seems like it's just for the sake of it) but I've thought it out and backed it up, therefore it's uncalled-for to rip it apart and cast slurs on my character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

oldyouth wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I hate Travellers. they have no respect. I once met a traveller woman who was head of some traveller commitee . couldnt even control her own husband and sons who caused trouble in the town with their Violent Drunkiness. And we are to show respect to them . No Way .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Dudess, why bother talking objectively to those who can't see the sense in what is being put to them?

Incidentally, the traveller lockdowns (although we didn't, and don't call them that) are at least two in number down my way, and in the second case, for me the lockdown turned into a lock in, and a crawl home in the wee hours.

Good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Me too,Im Nazi when it comes to travellers,even when my missus was having her child,she shared a ward with a traveller woman,and this womans kids,husband/partner,came in everyday,stripped there clothes off and washed themselves at the sink in the ward,which all the women in the ward shared,it was unbelievable,I had a go with the savage,and was like talking to a dog,informed security,but apparently they were coming up and doing it everyday,didnt really endear me to the plight of the travellers

That behaviour can be put down to the 200 years of institutionalised discrimination and isolation they have suffered :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That behaviour can be put down to the 200 years of institutionalised discrimination and isolation they have suffered :rolleyes:
    I dont even know what that means:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

It only takes one generation to teach the next how to respect the law of the land but most of them choose to ignore it and have there own law .I used to live in a town down the country and the whole town hated the travellers. They can't be all wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

A few months back myself and the GF were coming back from paris. There was a traveller family behind us in the checking in queue acting up. Then again as we waited to board the plane they started fighting and mouthing to each other (it was kinda funny). I was chuffed thinking these arent going to be allowed on the plane, but I dont think the french authorities knew what was going on or what they would be like on the plane.
    luckily we were not near them on the plane but could hear them and the little bastard kids causing havoc down the back. The other passengers in hell sitting around them.

A week later im in work reading the independent when i see a two page write up on THE SAME FAMILY! photo's of them holding hands with big teary eyes..ha the article went on and on about this poor family always facing discrimination etc and being poor. the bastards where in disney land paris a week earlier??!

hate them.

stovelid wrote: »
    Which ones in Tallaght?

De Selby...

Don't forget to mention the additional 800 years of oppression! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Yeh, while we're at it, let's start a whole new race war against the British!
    800 years of oppression and all that.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

I dont even know what that means:confused:

It means that according to Brian anything the travellers do wrong is justified because they have been treated badly.

Advertisement