Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling brawlers of Balbriggan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You got me, I'm doing it to be cool. However did you figure me out so succintly?

:/

@FB: Chances are the chavs behind the camera were little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I always found it amazing that the 'general public' has such disdain for the Gardai.

As I've said in several other related threads, I know some really sound members of the travelling community, having worked and drank with them.

That said, when ever I was working in a pub, be it behind the bar or on the door, I always ensured that the pub was closed if there were travellers in the vicinity.

One massive tar-filled brush.. yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brixter

Travelling brawlers of Balbriggan? I didn't think travellers were settled.
    News to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Lilyblue wrote: »
    Where is singing Bernie Walsh when you need her?

We don't need her, never have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Yeah,I don't think our Travelling Bretheren have got the Knack of good public relations, TBH.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah,I don't think our Travelling Bretheren have got the Knack of good public relations, TBH.:rolleyes:

Most of them thing public relations is something to do with having sex outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

You know before discrimination against travellers became a part of settled "culture" there actually wasn't anywhere near as many problems between the two communities. But of course you wouldn't know that because you're too busy making blanket statements and sustaining bigotry.
    Actually, it was the travellers that changed, not us. Once their culture became obsolete, things went downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    We don't need her, never have.

Did I say singing Bernie Walsh, sorry I meant em yeah Mr Lizard, yeah you would sort them all out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I was wondering when this would end up in AH:D

The main problem coming from this incident is that the pub in question (John D's) is the main drinking spot for Balbriggan's 'undesireables' and kept them away from the general public (for the most part anyway). This pub is now going to be out of commission for a while which means that the 'undesireables' will now start infecting some of the decent pubs in Balbriggan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I can't believe Degsy isn't with us to see this thread.

Sod's law states that as well as this, news of a new Dublin-based Nigerian credit card fraud ring, a student riot and a new 'dignity charter' for the long-term unemployed will all break tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Actually, it was the travellers that changed, not us. Once their culture became obsolete, things went downhill.

Actually, it goes back to the nineteenth century and a change in the mode of production with the introduction of industrialising and modernising forces on the economy, and a drive from British society to settle and fix the population, rather than allow nomadism, culminating in anti traveller laws in that period. Thus their culture was made obsolete by other forces. Once excluded from the economy and isolated to an increasing degree, yes things went downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brixter

pithater1 wrote: »
    I was wondering when this would end up in AH:D

The main problem coming from this incident is that the pub in question (John D's) is the main drinking spot for Balbriggan's 'undesireables' and kept them away from the general public (for the most part anyway). This pub is now going to be out of commission for a while which means that the 'undesireables' will now start infecting some of the decent pubs in Balbriggan.

I am sure you are aware that the owner, owns another pub in the town. But I doubt he'd let it happen there. But he has never gotten it right either, the other pub is near empty most of the time. Bouncers in John D's changed, they knew the "usuals" be it for the good or the bad reasons. The problem is he is pompous and naive. Pubs are not his game. Bring back Frankie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Child mortality alcoholism and illiteracy are still disproportionally part of traveller's lives. He seems to think that just because people can't legally discriminate against travellers any more, suddenly everything's sorted. It doesn't work like that ffs.

Child mortality-Perhaps because they choose to live in rough unhygenic conditions?
    Illiteracy-Perhaps because traveller parents, often dont bother to send to children to school?

How exactly are members of the settled community supposed to deal with these problems without infringing on 'traveller culture'? I'll help those who help themselves and travellers don't seem to be doing that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Know many travellers brianthebard? Live close to any halting sites? Or are you just another in a long line who either don't know any and as such, tell us all how lovely they are and how we shouldn't discriminate about travellers. It's easy having an opinion of tolerance when you don't have to tolerate jack ****. I know about 50 travellers and out of those 50 i would call 3 of them decent people. The rest? They would threaten you with a knife if they woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Keep fighting the good fight though. Nobody will ever change my opinion of travellers, ive came across too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

all i'd like to see is the law being enforced, and the penalty paid. If settled people were involved in such a situation, generally speaking, that would be the case.

If Travellers want to be treated/accepted like any other citizen, then they should pay the full price for their indiscretions, like any other citizen, and not have politically correct 'tongue cluckers' peering over their half cut spectacles, defending the indefensible on their behalf, and calling the rest of us racist biggots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

marcsignal wrote: »
    all i'd like to see is the law being enforced, and the penalty paid. If settled people were involved in such a situation, generally speaking, that would be the case.

If Travellers want to be treated/accepted like any other citizen, then they should pay the full price for their indiscretions, like any other citizen, and not have politically correct 'tongue cluckers' peering over their half cut spectacles, defending the indefensible on their behalf, and calling the rest of us racist biggots.

Quite right.
    But they've gone so far down the track now, that they're is no regard frm the wider population for them.
    The Nally case proved that. If one of 'em comes into my place I'll make sure any of my bullets go into the front of them!

Sad to say, but they made their own bed. Now they may lie in it. Endof!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Actually, it goes back to the nineteenth century and a change in the mode of production with the introduction of industrialising and modernising forces on the economy, and a drive from British society to settle and fix the population, rather than allow nomadism, culminating in anti traveller laws in that period. Thus their culture was made obsolete by other forces. Once excluded from the economy and isolated to an increasing degree, yes things went downhill.
    So in other words, society evolved, travellers didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Iolar wrote: »
    Ye would'nt see this carry on in Spain
    Have ya seen the Guardia Civile in action? No bloody wonder it wouldn't!

Anyway... travellers. I have some problems with them. I've had a few as customers and barring the godawful tongue on the woman, she and her family were decent enough and happy to pay for a job done well (wedding dress).
    Then on the other hand I've seen the most animalistic behaviour, far in excess than the worst I've witnessed pretty much anywhere else.

It's just a shame they can't be more self-regulatory. Some of them are alright etc.

Travellers are all beautiful people and we should all aspire to their Holistic lifestyle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Ye would'nt see this carry on in Spain

Travellers actually caused some similar disturbance in Spain a couple of years ago, in went the Spanish police broke up trouble, then confiscated all the vans and caravans and then distributed them across Spain, they said it was due to holiday season or staff shortage, so one caravan was in the north one in the south etc, apparently it took the travellers over a week of travelling around Spain to get there belongings back. That though them a lesson not to **** with the Spanish authorities.

Unfortunately in this country we have too many apologists for criminal behaviour traveller or settled. You could put them up in Euro Disney and there still won't be enough facilities for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Let's create an Irish version of the Waffen SS to sort all our problems shall we?:rolleyes:
    Great idea! (but maybe a more subtle name?)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

I dont think we are tough enough on travellers.

Alot of people turn a blind eye to their crime in order to prevent perceived reprisals for doing so. I have seen a large group of travellers ages between about 4 - 30, on more than a few occasions all walk into the esso garage and just take what they want and walk out.

The sales staff just stand there not knowing what to do. The largest and oldest traveller stands by the counter and just stares at them. I remember on one such occasion a member of staff said something and all he got in return from about a 6 year old boy was "**** off you packi bastard". I literally felt sick to my stomach.

Anytime i have run into travellers there has been trouble. My friend got mugged on the 46A by travellers a few years ago, took his shoes and all, this was on a packed bus and noone bothered to help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

SteveDon wrote: »
    Anytime i have run into travellers there has been trouble. My friend got mugged on the 46A by travellers a few years ago, took his shoes and all, this was on a packed bus and noone bothered to help him.

:D
    Not sure why but i got a giggle out of that.

But i do agree, i hate people who defend them as innocent victums of modern ireland, my arse. I have encountered nothing but trouble with them

SteveDon wrote: »
    I dont think we are tough enough on travellers.

Alot of people turn a blind eye to their crime in order to prevent perceived reprisals for doing so. I have seen a large group of travellers ages between about 4 - 30, on more than a few occasions all walk into the esso garage and just take what they want and walk out.

The sales staff just stand there not knowing what to do. The largest and oldest traveller stands by the counter and just stares at them. I remember on one such occasion a member of staff said something and all he got in return from about a 6 year old boy was "**** off you packi bastard". I literally felt sick to my stomach.

Yes yes, so you had a few bad experiences with Travellers. But what about the all good things they do ..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Yes yes, so you had a few bad experiences with Travellers. But what about the all good things they do ..........................

A well thought out and convincing argument. :rolleyes:

Traveller misbehaviour has to be dealt with, just like any other issue that faces irish society today. resorting to tired dead end arguments is no way to actually deal with the issues.

Oh, I forgot, this is after hours.

<fart> lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I fail to see why the fact that they were travellers has anything to do with it. Brawling thugs, regardless of ethnicity, should be dealt with by batons and canine units and if necessary baton rounds and water cannon. Similarly I don't see why the fact that Frog Ward was a traveller should have been an issue in the Nally case.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They didnt like the Feng Shui in the pub thats why they wrecked it,

Interior design fueds always end in a bloodbath

ah well, the family that commits crimes together, does the time together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

They all appear to be listed in your edited post.

Advertisement