Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demons Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

jmx009 wrote: »
    Hey people

I love RPG games. I loved Oblivion and am waiting for dragon age origins to come out in November. Thats when i heard of this game.
    I did some research on the game and from what i heard, this is a difficult game. Is that true? I heard that every time you die u have to restart the whole level over again. is that true? Also, can we not save anywhere we want? Or does it have a checkpoint like mechanism?
    How is the graphics and other aspects of the game?

I am still trying to decide whether i should buy this when the western version gets released in October.

Yeah it is a lot harder than most games released these days. When you die you get sent back to the begining of the level even during a boss fight. But in a lot of levels you can trigger shortcuts to make your next run trhough shorter. Having said that, it still requires a lot of work.

There's no save system to allow you to save anywhere, but you can cheat and exit the game with the ps button just as you die. When you releoad the game you (USUALLY) respawn near the same place. I've done that a few times with the harder bosses.

If you are in the middle of a level and need to quit, you can use the game's quit system. It will start you off in the same place next time. BUT if you die after this you will get sent back to the start of the level.

I's a great game though. A strong contender for my game of the year.
    I've put nearly 50 hours into this already. I still haven't finished the game though. Nearly there. I've got to the 3 black phantoms before the last boss and they keep kicking my arse.

I also have the final bosses of two of the other levels to do . Might do them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I did some research on the game and from what i heard, this is a difficult game. Is that true?

It's as difficult as you want it to be. If you don't bother spending time leveling before trying to defeat each boss Demon you will more than likely die frequently

Reading is key. If you get the deluxe version you should get a guide, this site proved invaluable to me, as well as the advice I received from fellow gamers in this thread:

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/intro

The game will fool you into thinking it is a linear brawler, but it multi-layered, with a huge range of weapons and personal upgrade options.

Also, regardless of how difficult you find a level, the unique online features mean you can always summon fellow gamers into your game to help you out. This has the caveat of allowing other gamers force themselves into the game. It's hard to describe as it's unlike any other game I've ever played. But, there are enough options in the game to suit all skill levels.
    I heard that every time you die u have to restart the whole level over again. is that true?

Yes... again it's difficult to explain the gameplay. As you progress through the level you will unlock alternative, shorter routes, so that if you die you can take the shortcut rather than fight through the whole level. Also, you lose all the souls you collected when you die, however, if you can make it back to where you died before, you can collect all your souls again.
    Also, can we not save anywhere we want? Or does it have a checkpoint like mechanism?

It saves when you return to the nexus, or when you exit the game. The levels are relatively short anyway, which counters the persistent difficulty curve. You also get magic and items as you progress that allow you to exit to the nexus whenever you want, thus saving.

The difficulty curve is odd (it's similar to a few Japanese games I've played) This game starts relatively difficult then gets easier as you progress and learn more about it. The baptism of fire the first level of the game gives you has put off a few of my friends from coming back to it. Push through it though.
    How is the graphics and other aspects of the game?

The graphics, immersion, atmosphere and sound effects are amazing.

Let me just say that you won't regret getting this game, it spans genres and in doing so has created it's own. There are so many features in this game that will have you asking yourself "why haven't games been doing this before?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

This is a top class game, as stated above it does save , in fact it saves your game every time you enter the menu screen so dont worry about the saving part. The game it self will take 50 hours to complete and that includes loads of leveling up. You will die alot in your first play through because you wont know which levels to play first.If you do get the game you should play stonefang tunnel world the whole way through until u come to the boss flamelurker you need his soul for bigger upgrades. Then do the shrine of storms level, can be hard if u havent leveled up but u can skip to the boss very easily on that level . Get the bosses soul and you can get the meat cleaver weapon. This will really help through out the game. To get the plat trophy it takes alot of time. Recently i lost my save data, 100 hours , 2 playthroughs, however theres a glitch to level up so i used that gain my level back. Completed the game in 10 hours and that including all the npc black phantoms. Youll understand what all this means after your first few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Wow !!! U've all got me pumped up !!!
    I cant wait till i get my hands on this one.
    Just one more quick question.
    Is this a tradional RPG game? I mean, Do you have to talk to characters and stuff ? Can you make plot changing decisions and stuff? Or is this more of an action adventure game with RPG elements in it?

Wow !!! U've all got me pumped up !!!
    I cant wait till i get my hands on this one.
    Just one more quick question.
    Is this a tradional RPG game? I mean, Do you have to talk to characters and stuff ? Can you make plot changing decisions and stuff? Or is this more of an action adventure game with RPG elements in it?

I think the plot is the weakest aspect of the game. There's no real talking to NPCs to get info and definitely no dialog threads like mass effect oblivion etc.
    You click on a character and they talk . The odd time they will tell you something useful. There are some groups of characters that are pitted against each other and you can have an affect on the outcome by rescuing then from prisons and carrying out assassinations them but it's nowhere near the level you would find in other games.

Most of the time you rescue characters and then they remain in the Nexus so you can learn spells from them. Obviously if you don't rescue them, you lose access to said spells.

• Advertisement

I think the plot is the weakest aspect of the game. There's no real talking to NPCs to get info and definitely no dialog threads like mass effect oblivion etc.
    You click on a character and they talk . The odd time they will tell you something useful. There are some groups of characters that are pitted against each other and you can have an affect on the outcome by rescuing then from prisons and carrying out assassinations them but it's nowhere near the level you would find in other games.

Most of the time you rescue characters and then they remain in the Nexus so you can learn spells from them. Obviously if you don't rescue them, you lose access to said spells.

Fair enough. I think i will try it when it launches here in October.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You will die loads and loads in this game but it really doesn't matter because as you keep playing you get better at the game and a little bit further each time. It's like an old 8 or 16 bit game where you die a lot but don't mind, you are still enjoying it and keeping getting a little further.

The game does't really need a story, i find just like in super metroid the enviroment tells it's own story and is far more effective than reams of dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Fair enough. I think i will try it when it launches here in October.
    It doesn't have a European release date afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xeni

ShaneU wrote: »
    It doesn't have a European release date afaik

Nope, no EU release date atm so it's import time :P (I got mine from Asia months ago though :PP)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

There no sign of a US relase until it started getting rave reviews and a huge following. I've clocked over 300 hours on it with 2 characters. 1st dude just going for the plat; at 98%, pulpstone weapon is proving difficult. 2nd character just to give the online aspect of it a go, and i must say i liked it before with a bit of coop\invasions here and there but with getting more into the coop side, its bloody amazing. nothing better than firestorming 2 blue phantoms and a player in an ambush. Started messing around with getting summoned as the 3-3 boss also, gret crack.

The one downer is the US servers will be region locked so we won't be able to invade them. Dunno is tied to the copy or the region.

• Advertisement

I've got another question.
    If i buy the asian/american version, will i still be able to play online with other players despite the fact that i am in Ireland?

I've got another question.
    If i buy the asian/american version, will i still be able to play online with other players despite the fact that i am in Ireland?

I can play online with the Asian players. I reckon if you get the US version you'll be able to play with them. Not sure how they will do the region locking.

Got to the false king last night. Still trying to figure out how to kill him. All of the equipment I can carry is being used to get through the last defenses before him and I'm not sure if they'll help with him.

Well I finished my first run through tonight. The false king was actually easy with the right tools although I think I may have cheated a little
    I'm sure most people who finished know this method.
    Equip thief ring and have poison cloud. Stay at the bottom of the steps. He walks up and turns his back. Just keep sneaking up and using poison cloud. It takes about 6 full runs of the spell and about 25 mins. But I didn't even have to use my weapon once.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just ordered it off ebay, hopefully will enjoy. alot of good games coming out in the next few months

Allant best thing is ring of great strength so you can roll around with the equipment, equip a good quick slash weapon, i recomend a kijii, crescent\moon if you're magic based, sharp or +9 if melee. slash roll and dodge and repeat. Moving soul arrow with ring of magical sharpness and kris knife as right hand other weapon, makes it quicker. NG+ is a huge step up.

BTW talisman of beasts combines your magic and miracle powers for magic, don't think t does the same for miracles tho.

Allant best thing is ring of great strength so you can roll around with the equipment, equip a good quick slash weapon, i recomend a kijii, crescent\moon if you're magic based, sharp or +9 if melee. slash roll and dodge and repeat. Moving soul arrow with ring of magical sharpness and kris knife as right hand other weapon, makes it quicker. NG+ is a huge step up.

BTW talisman of beasts combines your magic and miracle powers for magic, don't think t does the same for miracles tho.
    I think my brain just melted trying to understand that :D

Just got a quick question about this.....

I've been scanning this thread a few times lately as i had the game ordered, just trying to get opinions and skip the spoiler talk.

Anyway i got two copies, one for my cousin too, i was wondering is it possible to play this co-op?... i see there's a lot of hours in it, so it might be too hard to try play it together. If it's not i'm just going to power on with it myself now.

Also what copies are ye using?. Someone mentioned the manual was a big help, but mine is in Chinese, they give ya english language, subtitles option, operation sheet but not the manual :(

Anyway i got two copies, one for my cousin too, i was wondering is it possible to play this co-op?... i see there's a lot of hours in it, so it might be too hard to try play it together. If it's not i'm just going to power on with it myself now.

Also what copies are ye using?. Someone mentioned the manual was a big help, but mine is in Chinese, they give ya english language, subtitles option, operation sheet but not the manual :(

Coop is possible but you'll both have to be close to each otther leveling upwise. Ye'll have to agree to meet up at a certain level area at a certain time etc. Trying to meet up with a specified erson is hit and miss.

Manual i did'nt miss it i'd the korean version too, this is all you need : http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/. Its gospel.

Coop is possible but you'll both have to be close to each otther leveling upwise. Ye'll have to agree to meet up at a certain level area at a certain time etc. Trying to meet up with a specified erson is hit and miss.

Manual i did'nt miss it i'd the korean version too, this is all you need : http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/. Its gospel.

Thanks for that.

Ya it seems it may be more hassle then anything. If the game was 7-10 hours long it wouldn't be that much of a problem, but since it's on the scale of Fallout it seems it would be too much effort, him waiting for me when i die and vice-versa. I'm just going to start the quest myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm just going to start the quest myself :D

Yeah I'd recommend this. The main onus of the game is to create an atmosphere of isolation, and a constant feeling of hopeless dread. Even when you summon players into your game, it still feels like you are along, like you are walking behind ghosts that have been through there before.

You get used to silently watching the ghosts of other players die, or reading their long forgotten notes on the ground.

It's a very unique experience, because even though online and multiplayer is interwoven into it, it maintains the constant feeling of being a single player experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

Hey guys, I want to buy the ntsc deluxe version of this game, I see the release date is October 6th, I was wondering if anyone knows of any resellers of the deluxe ed other than ebay, that ship to Ireland that are trustworthy. Thanks guys, game looks absoulutly awesome.

C|F

Videogamesplus.ca, none better.

Hey guys, I want to buy the ntsc deluxe version of this game, I see the release date is October 6th, I was wondering if anyone knows of any resellers of the deluxe ed other than ebay, that ship to Ireland that are trustworthy. Thanks guys, game looks absoulutly awesome.

C|F
    €55, sent from inside the EU so I would recommend over VG+

http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/730865001330

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

great info guys, thanks a million, ShaneU, have you used these guys before? Cheers.

EDIT : Ordered frm the above site, now en route to UK warehouse from NY, nice one! Thanks again ShaneU!

C|F

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

this game is very tough !!! just got it and have died a few times after going a fair bit into the level !!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

great info guys, thanks a million, ShaneU, have you used these guys before? Cheers.

EDIT : Ordered frm the above site, now en route to UK warehouse from NY, nice one! Thanks again ShaneU!

C|F

Is your's definately on the way? I ordered from them on September 26 and now the status has changed to "Backordered with supplier. Awaiting stock arrival"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 J.C.Jacobsen

is there a european version in the works or will i have to order the us version?
    whats bugging me is that i don't know whether the online features will work if i get the us version. does anybody know anything about it?

is there a european version in the works or will i have to order the us version?
    whats bugging me is that i don't know whether the online features will work if i get the us version. does anybody know anything about it?

There's no euro version in the works as far as I know. The online features should work. I have the chinese version and they work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

To date, there is no EU version.

Online features will work with the US version, however only on the US servers.

Advertisement