Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Bang Theory

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

Absolutley awful, dire show. It seems to patheticly rely on every single laugh by one of the stereotypical geeks recite a mouthful of jargon (ie. "look at me, im really smart but really socially awkward)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

Best sit-com on tv by a mile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Well 75% for and 25% against....think that's pretty comprehensive.

ben bedlam wrote: »
    Absolutley awful, dire show. It seems to patheticly rely on every single laugh by one of the stereotypical geeks recite a mouthful of jargon (ie. "look at me, im really smart but really socially awkward)

:eek: shockingly negative opinion...us TBBT fans can't allow for this! :mad:

;) - :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

:eek: shockingly negative opinion...us TBBT fans can't allow for this! :mad:

;) - :D

Nah, the nay sayers are just not clever enough to get the humour... :D

• Advertisement

Just to clarify for the non clever nay-sayers....i was jesting and being a little ironic, all opinions are welcome....as long as they say it's the best thing since sliced bread :D

::double irony posting::

basquille wrote: »
    Elmo..

We understand that you don't like the show... but there are plenty of people that do so instead of shoving your opinion down people's throats, why not just do something constructive with your time and leave them be?

Christ almighty.. if I took my time and blasted every show I didn't enjoy, I'd have probably twice as many posts as I do now.

We understand that you don't like it.. build a fecking bridge and get over it! Why waste more time justifying your "opinion".. not fact... not gospel.. your opinion?

That's the last I want to see of this rambling nonsense between Elmo and the TBBT fans? Christ.. reading what's been said so far makes me simultaneously cringe and want to poke my eyes out with rusty forks!

I get your central point, repeating stuff and harping on...defending an opinion etc.
    Think we're all guilty of that though...but i welcome Elmo's views and opinions...he clearly watches shows closely and does contribute alot of insightful postings.

As such i don't want to see this thread locked as fans and non fans can air there thoughts, but anyways....the Big Bang fanboys are winning against the haters! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so is corrie, eastenders, fair city and every other piece of godawful ****e that takes up time on television screens all over the world.

the big bang theory isn't the worst, but it is absolutely terrible. Ivan's post earlier on in the thread sums it up perfectly for me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Or perhaps we are far too clever for it.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Well 75% for and 25% against....think that's pretty comprehensive.

How is it comprehensive? For one thing the thread is titled "The Big Bang Theory" rather than say for example "What do you think of THIS show?" so naturally the majority of visitors to this thread are going to be people who probably think favourably about the show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think its God awful. But then I'm a theoretical physicist, so I think it's making fun of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

I watched this when it first came out on E4 a while ago (18 months, i think) but lost track of it after while even though I was loving it at the time. I think it was just on an awkward time for me so that is why I stopped watching or lost track of it.

Anyway I spent the weekend catching up on the episodes from season 1 & 2 after I saw this thread. At the end of the mini marathon, I still love the show. It makes me laugh out loud which is the most important thing for a comedy. I think season one is better then season two as they kind of rehash the Lennard & Penny story a bit in season two.

This is not a complex sitcom. The general premise has been done before in movies and other shows so it is not going to be ground breaking on that front. I don't think that it really needs to be either as that is not the strength of the show. The three main characters, Sheldon, Lennard and Penny, are what makes this show particularly Sheldon. The episodes are all generally well written with good dialogue, though there have been one or two that I felt fell a little flat particular the one with Summer Glau guest starring.

Anyway in brief summary. Sit back, relax and enjoy. It may not break new ground in the world of sitcoms but that doesn't hinder it as the characters are what are important and the main ones are well written and very likeable in their protrayal. I give it a solid 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Thanks for posting a good reply to my question. I don't know how you sat through 10 hours of TBBT, I couldn't :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm quite surprised by the poll results there. It's 3:1 in favour at the moment. I wouldn't have thought it would be any better than 50/50, but not so.

I honestly don't get it's popularity. The jokes are obvious and lame, for the most part, and it's not that I don't get them or understand, I just don't find them funny.

I will continue to avoid it.

roar_ie wrote: »
    I watched this when it first came out on E4 a while ago (18 months, i think) but lost track of it after while even though I was loving it at the time. I think it was just on an awkward time for me so that is why I stopped watching or lost track of it.

Anyway I spent the weekend catching up on the episodes from season 1 & 2 after I saw this thread. At the end of the mini marathon, I still love the show. It makes me laugh out loud which is the most important thing for a comedy. I think season one is better then season two as they kind of rehash the Lennard & Penny story a bit in season two.

This is not a complex sitcom. The general premise has been done before in movies and other shows so it is not going to be ground breaking on that front. I don't think that it really needs to be either as that is not the strength of the show. The three main characters, Sheldon, Lennard and Penny, are what makes this show particularly Sheldon. The episodes are all generally well written with good dialogue, though there have been one or two that I felt fell a little flat particular the one with Summer Glau guest starring.

Anyway in brief summary. Sit back, relax and enjoy. It may not break new ground in the world of sitcoms but that doesn't hinder it as the characters are what are important and the main ones are well written and very likeable in their protrayal. I give it a solid 7/10

this sums it up for me too, actually. its what i should have posted earlier.

and while its true, some of the situations and jokes can be obvious, i have seen some fresh spins on geek humour here and there in it that make me chuckle. if thats been done before i havent seen it. (sheldons reaction to spocks autograph being one good example)

Elmo wrote: »
    Thanks for posting a good reply to my question.

No problem :)
    jor el wrote: »
    I honestly don't get it's popularity. The jokes are obvious and lame, for the most part, and it's not that I don't get them or understand, I just don't find them funny.

I really do understand this point of view. Take for example The Office. I know it is funny but I just don't like it. I think it is because I spend most of my time cringing at the jokes rather then enjoying them and laughing. As a result I don't watch and probably won't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I thought it was a bit slow to begin with but now I love it. I just watched the episode at the weekened where Sheldon got Leonard Nimoys autograph and DNA. His reaction was one of the funniest things I've seen on T.V in ages. Definatly one of the best sit-coms of recent years:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I really do understand this point of view. Take for example The Office. I know it is funny but I just don't like it. I think it is because I spend most of my time cringing at the jokes rather then enjoying them and laughing. As a result I don't watch and probably won't either.

Horrible comparison to make imo. The Office is intentionally cringeworthy and that's what makes the writing so good. TBBT tries to be typical American sitcom funny but just ends up cringeworthy.

Do you get what I mean? It makes sense in my head anyway.

i agree with this, well the UK office anyway. i know its funny but its so buttock clenchingly cringeworthy that i cant laugh. sacrilige i know, but i've watched more episodes of the US office (and enjoyed them) than the UK one.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Horrible comparison to make imo. The Office is intentionally cringeworthy and that's what makes the writing so good. TBBT tries to be typical American sitcom funny but just ends up cringeworthy.

Do you get what I mean? It makes sense in my head anyway.

I realise it wasn't the greatest comparison as they are completely different shows and they shouldn't be compared as they are doing different things. The reason I mentioned it was an example of a show that is really popular among my firends but is probably just too cringeworthy for me so I don't find it all that funny.

The point I was trying to make is that humour is dependant on the individual. We all have different sense of humours. One thing I find funny, TBBT other people don't and something I don't find very funny, The Office, other people do. Different strokes for different folks.

• Advertisement

I thought the season 2 finale was good, Sheldon again was class...he's really embraced the use of sarcasm and taking the piss :-)

And as expected, Leonard and Penny...pretty much setting up them finally getting together in season 3, but there sooo cute together, you kinda want it to happen. But you know they'll just break up again...and get back togther, and break up.

:-)

jor el wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised by the poll results there. It's 3:1 in favour at the moment. I wouldn't have thought it would be any better than 50/50, but not so.

Why are you surprised people like it?...wasn't that the point of creating a poll to gauge reaction?, with the amount of views and number of votes cast (which i suspect is alot for a poll) it's obvious people do like the show.

I think TBBT appeals to more people then alot of other shows on tv.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think another big problem with this show is that Sheldon isn't just a geek who's set in his ways. He obviously suffers from high functioning autism and it isn't funny to laugh at the disabled.:mad:

Shame on you all.:D

iguana wrote: »
    I think another big problem with this show is that Sheldon isn't just a geek who's set in his ways. He obviously suffers from high functioning autism and it isn't funny to laugh at the disabled.:mad:

Shame on you all.:D

:rolleyes: he's not autistic....wait, you're tryna pull a Sheldon sarcasm moment...aren't you?

;)

Why are you surprised people like it?...wasn't that the point of creating a poll to gauge reaction?, with the amount of views and number of votes cast (which i suspect is alot for a poll) it's obvious people do like the show.

I think TBBT appeals to more people then alot of other shows on tv.

I think his point (and my point a while back) is that the title of the thread would only attract fans of the show, the title should read

The Big Bang Theory: Good or Bad?

What we got was fans coming in to defend the show and others not wanting to bother with the thread.

I think his point (and my point a while back) is that the title of the thread would only attract fans of the show, the title should read

What we got was fans coming in to defend the show and others not wanting to bother with the thread.

But it woudln't matter, even if you changed the title fans would post and enter the poll. What were you hoping?....non fans post saying how bad it is?....or neutral people who've never watched it go watch the show, and then what?

They either like it or dislike it...and will register a yay or nay based on that.
    I don't belive it's turned into an "us vs. them" thread at all, clearly 30% of pollsters don't like it, dunno Elmo....this post you've made makes me think you didn't want the show to be popular and just have everyone say how much it sucks :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Look the show isn't good. As I said plenty of shows I don't like that I think are good for obvious reasons.
    "Look the show isn't good." - once again, stating your personal opinion as solid fact. Seriously, can you not just accept that different people have different opinions and that some people actually do like this show? You seem to have this need for everyone to agree with you and trash the show.

Oh Jesus Christ! :rolleyes: You started the thread, you chose the title and now you're trying to make up excuses as to why the poll didn't go the way you wanted it to.

Seriously, just GET OVER IT.

But it woudln't matter, even if you changed the title fans would post and enter the poll. What were you hoping?....non fans post saying how bad it is?....or neutral people who've never watched it go watch the show, and then what?

Look those who like the show will be on this thread because of the name, the poll could be in realtion to anything e.g. which character is your favorite character in TBBT? The title (which I came up with) is mis-leading.

Oh! I did point out that I made the mistake with the poll on 2 occassions already, one that I didn't provide an it's alright option and the name of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

I love this show :D I think it appeals to alot of people. Howard is my absolute favourite character. Kaley Cuoco is a brilliant actress as well, seen her in Charmed and 8 Simple rules as well, really good in them shows as well.

• Advertisement

lovinit wrote: »
    8 Simple rules

Yeah I knew I knew her from something, same character really.

Advertisement