Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Bang Theory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

*knock knock knock*
    penny
    *knock knock knock*
    penny
    *knock knock knock*
    penny

^^

Its only 2 knocks!

i love this show - one of the ones i read about before it came out and i was worried i was over hyping it for myself and it did take a few episodes before they got sheldons character just right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sheldon gravitates from super sweet (with Penny) to basically kicking her out of her OWN bed!
    He's class, the best moment for me was this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyQz8jWAl7s

How can you NOT love Sheldon?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

I love it, it's hilarious. Its one of the best sitcoms on at the moment. It's clever, witty humour, not laugh out loud. Sheldon is the best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hartyk87

Larkenn wrote: »
    I love it, it's hilarious. Its one of the best sitcoms on at the moment. It's clever, witty humour, not laugh out loud. Sheldon is the best. :)

+1 love it.

What a brilliant and well written i have every episode so far!

But the other two dudes??...Wolowitz and Indian guy....they can be funny, but maybe they could be replaced with someone else. Personally i'd like to see a permanent female geek added, geek her up but we all know she's super hot underneath.

• Advertisement

User45701 wrote: »
    Its only 2 knocks!

i love this show - one of the ones i read about before it came out and i was worried i was over hyping it for myself and it did take a few episodes before they got sheldons character just right

It's 3 knocks!...Sheldon was warned that if he knocked on her door before 11am she'd call his mom! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think the poll is a bit wrong hahhahaha only people who like the show have joined the conversation so it is a bit bias.

I will watch it when ever its on again and give you a full report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

It's 3 knocks!...Sheldon was warned that if he knocked on her door before 11am she'd call his mom! :)

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEeaP4n5ueY&feature=related

damit - i know in one of the recent episodes = the one where he protects his neck when penny opens the door

knock knock penny
    knock knock penny
    knock knock penny

*door opens*

Sheldon protects his neck
    "Its 11.00" (because penny wont let him wake her up before 11.00)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Ha ha ha ha! It's a fecking brilliants comedy. Classic nerdism turned into hillarious comedy. Brilliant combination.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Elmo wrote: »
    I think the poll is a bit wrong hahhahaha only people who like the show have joined the conversation so it is a bit bias.

I will watch it when ever its on again and give you a full report.

How is it biased? Your just not getting the results you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

But the other two dudes??...Wolowitz and Indian guy....they can be funny, but maybe they could be replaced with someone else. Personally i'd like to see a permanent female geek added, geek her up but we all know she's super hot underneath.

Well there is Sheldon's nemesis that has appeared......but she's not a great character. I do agree that the two could be replaced though. Have good moments but the series is much stronger with a focus on Sheldon, Leonard and Penny.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

great show, one of the few comedies i make a point of watching/downloading.

when
    penny gets spocks autograph for sheldon
    is a great comedy moment.

and while i might not be the biggest barenaked ladies fan, its nice to see a show with a catchy theme song....not many about nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Horrendous show imo. Barely watchable, though it is still better than 30 Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Personally i'd like to see a permanent female geek added, geek her up but we all know she's super hot underneath.

I think the show is going in the direction that Penny is slowly being turned into a geek.

Favourite scene has to be this one. Up until this scene I merely chuckled at the jokes, this one made me really lol :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

In fairness to TBBT I am sure the writing is better then SBTB, I just took it as an example of how badly drawn "Nerds" are on TV.

I completely agree, the main characters are 80's tv nerds rather than being like real nerds. (And Penny is also the blonde, bimbo caricature who doesn't relate to anyone in real life, just every other character Kaley Cuoco has ever played.)

I'm a giant nerd, as are most people I know, but I have never met anyone even remotely like any of those characters. I know comedy usually takes personality traits and amplifies them for effect, but that has to be done delicately to make it work properly. Like Chuck and Morgan, and even Geoff and Lester, on Chuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

iguana wrote: »
    I completely agree, the main characters are 80's tv nerds rather than being like real nerds. (And Penny is also the blonde, bimbo caricature who doesn't relate to anyone in real life, just every other character Kaley Cuoco has ever played.)

I'm a giant nerd, as are most people I know, but I have never met anyone even remotely like any of those characters. I know comedy usually takes personality traits and amplifies them for effect, but that has to be done delicately to make it work properly. Like Chuck and Morgan, and even Geoff and Lester, on Chuck.

Yeah, me and most my friends are pretty nerdy but I don't know anyone like them either. But I don't think that's a bad thing - I don't think a sitcom about "normal" nerds would be as interesting. If I ever encountered a real life Sheldon I'd despise him but in a sitcom setting he's brilliant. Plus you could say Leonard is kinda normal.

I disagree about Penny though - I don't think she's a stereotypical blonde bimbo at all. Yes, she's ditzy at times but she has a strong personality and isn't an idiot (maybe she was more bimboish in the first series, I don't know.)

Re: Penny...the first two/three episodes she was very ditzy/airhead and i feared....ooh god not again. THAT would have been too easy and cliche for the writers and producers. Stick this hot blonde airhead into a geeks lair and watch them punch holes in everything she says and laugh at her.

But they didn't, sure she's not up on quantum mechanics but most normal people aren't either!, she's not dumb, in fact she makes the guys look like idiots many times. She's quite strong but obviously has some daddy issues. I think it's cool that she accepts these guys as clearly she could get any guy she wants.

But i do agree that Cuoco does seem to play the same type of characters in this and everything else i've seen her in, she does it well...but it's basically her playing herself.

Leonard is the most normal for sure, he's got social skills and he's the only one with a remote chance of scoring with Penny...they'll set that up in time i'm sure. Leonard reigns in Sheldon's insane ways, i've never met a Sheldon in real life...if i did i'd hate him as he'd come across arrogant and rude.

Oh wait...i have met a Sheldon, he's there each morning when i look into the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

To be fair to Elmo, I agree with him to a large degree but he put it across far too pointedly.

TBBT is inoffensive, mostly formulatic - let's be fair, it's not exactly breaking new comedy ground in its concept or the way it's shot -, stereotypical, funny in more than a few places and popular. Just like most of the creator's shows.

And anyways, it's Weird Science (the film!), but without the creating-the-girl part. I've more than a soft spot in my heart for that film and alot of those stereotypical but awesome 80's films and series - Saved by the Bell being very high amongst them. On that, Elmo, you have to remember Saved by the Bell was a pre-teen show so it's nature has to be informed by the fact it had to paint in broad strokes. I'm far less taken by this show because of how well worn the ground is, though.

TBBT is not the greatest thing since sliced Seinfeld, but it's not a Flash Gordon reboot either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Syferus wrote: »
    TBBT is not the greatest thing since sliced Seinfeld, but it's not a Flash Gordon reboot either.

There is very little in this world that was as bad as the recent Flash Gordon series. It made the Bionic Woman look like Babylon 5.

• Advertisement

Flash was dire!...shocked Sc-Fi channel ok'd a further 10 episodes past it's first 13 ep. order?????
    Bionic Woman....i thought the pilot was good but it just fell apart, kinda like Knight Rider...even though i enjoyed KR and watched the full season, but meh.....writers should be shot.

Season 2 finale for Big Bang tonite btw....same goes for Gossip Girl/Two & A Half Men/CSI Miami.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

If you want to dress like sheldon.

pity my favourite shirt, the tv test card is no longer available.

Okay so just caught TBBT just there. I will give the episode the benifit of the doubt, as this may not have been the greatest episode of the series and since I don't watch the series I don't know where it lies in terms of TBBT only in terms of other sit-coms.

Rating ***** is the highest

Acting **
    Story *
    Writing *
    Jokes **

Sheldon, Raji, Howard and Lenord go to San Fran on the train.

Opening scene has them trying to increase the space on a Tivo or delete series one of BSG, Sheldon doesn't want to increase the memory, since by removing the yellow tab you remove the warranty:rolleyes: once BSG is suggest he rips the tab off :rolleyes: Penny suggests that she would love to go to San Fran and is dissappointed she is missing out, Sheldon explains what she is actually missing, she is sarcastic. They are going by Train Sheldon's idea.

Sheldon sorts his socks. i was watching this so carefully that I thought they were taling about an actual apple shop rather than an Apple computer shop which is funny The joke about the apple store isn't.

The train, they choose a seat, Sheldon has a long discussion about where to sit and why they should sit on one side or up against the wheels. Raji explains Indian transport, sheldon talks of Indian rail first class.

Arrival of guest star (Summer Glow) who is from Sarah Connor hence room for a very nerdy Terminator comment. Not funny. Howard suggests that he go and chat her up, Raji suggest he chats her up, Lenord asks why should he and then realises that he has Penny to try and hit on. (In joke for regulars). Raji explains he is foreign and exocitic while Howard is not. Sheldon is getting to me at this stage, **** off. (Sorry).

How should Howard approach her? double entra (which isn't actually its quite blatant). Sheldon wants to go back and get his flash drive, blah blah blah sorry. Flash Drive sound of train joke, not funny.

He rings penny, who now has to go into his room, and no one goes into sheldon's room. Moonpie nickname etc etc teasing from Penny with Lenord taking over the converstation every now and then.

Howard attemps to go up to Summer but he sits on his own, Raji arrives with a bottle of beer (<<<<<<oh joke coming up) he chats up Summer really well. He orders a new bottle of beer from Howard, who discovers that it is non-alcholoic (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH).

Howard takes over and bores Summer, and then gets a photo and wants one of them making out. He retures to his other 3 friends with a broke phone. Lenord tries it with summer, who has to get out at that stop, just as he is pick up a stride (why does he need the nerd voice????)

Dr. Smooth asks if Sheldon is on Crack (oh he mentioned a drug, funny!)

As I said at the beginning I will keep my mind open about this show as this is the first full episode I have ever seen.

From what I can see from this episode, it is about a group of Post Graduates that aren't good with girls and are hugely intelligent which just feeds into that Stereotype, I amn't saying you shouldn't do stereotypes but why so many in one show?

Elmo....don't analyse an episode like that, just enjoy it!
    Sheldon is HARDLY a stereotype?....he's a total space cadet!, you'd probably never find someone like Sheldon at MIT, Raj i agree is a bit stereotypical...but he's a minor character. They could have easily made Penny stereptypical...but she's more then that.

You fail to recognise how the show is written, the science and techno babble used for comic effect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Okay so just caught TBBT just there. I will give the episode the benifit of the doubt, as this may not have been the greatest episode of the series and since I don't watch the series I don't know where it lies in terms of TBBT only in terms of other sit-coms.

Acting **
    Story *
    Writing *
    Jokes **

Opening scene has them trying to increase the space on a Tivo or delete series one of BSG, Sheldon doesn't want to increase the memory, since by removing the yellow tab you remove the warranty:rolleyes: once BSG is suggest he rips the tab off :rolleyes: Penny suggests that she would love to go to San Fran and is dissappointed she is missing out, Sheldon explains what she is actually missing, she is sarcastic. They are going by Train Sheldon's idea.

Sheldon sorts his socks. i was watching this so carefully that I thought they were taling about an actual apple shop rather than an Apple computer shop which is funny The joke about the apple store isn't.

The train, they choose a seat, Sheldon has a long discussion about where to sit and why they should sit on one side or up against the wheels. Raji explains Indian transport, sheldon talks of Indian rail first class.

Arrival of guest star (Summer Glow) who is from Sarah Connor hence room for a very nerdy Terminator comment. Not funny. Howard suggests that he go and chat her up, Raji suggest he chats her up, Lenord asks why should he and then realises that he has Penny to try and hit on. (In joke for regulars). Raji explains he is foreign and exocitic while Howard is not. Sheldon is getting to me at this stage, **** off. (Sorry).

How should Howard approach her? double entra (which isn't actually its quite blatant). Sheldon wants to go back and get his flash drive, blah blah blah sorry. Flash Drive sound of train joke, not funny.

He rings penny, who now has to go into his room, and no one goes into sheldon's room. Moonpie nickname etc etc teasing from Penny with Lenord taking over the converstation every now and then.

Howard attemps to go up to Summer but he sits on his own, Raji arrives with a bottle of beer (<<<<<<oh joke coming up) he chats up Summer really well. He orders a new bottle of beer from Howard, who discovers that it is non-alcholoic (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH).

Howard takes over and bores Summer, and then gets a photo and wants one of them making out. He retures to his other 3 friends with a broke phone. Lenord tries it with summer, who has to get out at that stop, just as he is pick up a stride (why does he need the nerd voice????)

As I said at the beginning I will keep my mind open about this show as this is the first full episode I have ever seen.

From what I can see from this episode, it is about a group of Post Graduates that aren't good with girls and are hugely intelligent which just feeds into that Stereotype, I amn't saying you shouldn't do stereotypes but why so many in one show?

How can you enjoy anything if thats your out look on things

PS it was average at best tonight

That ep. Elmo watched was average...so was the very latest, there are many more...episodes from the early part of series 2, many from series 1. Like is said, there are a few average one's.

Elmo....don't analyse an episode like that, just enjoy it!
    Sheldon is HARDLY a stereotype?....he's a total space cadet!, you'd probably never find someone like Sheldon at MIT, Raj i agree is a bit stereotypical...but he's a minor character. They could have easily made Penny stereptypical...but she's more then that.

You fail to recognise how the show is written, the science and techno babble used for comic effect.

I was actually killing two birds with one stone. And while I shouldn't over analyse anything I just felt I need to and I needed to look at where the plot point came in on a Sitcom (about 7 mins).

The episode was dreadful, if it was even average it doesn't look good for the series.

Mention an episode and I will take a look. I did laugh or smile at least once during the show, which is as much as I laugh with "2and half men".

But it still remains that the Series has 4 characters that are almost Identical.

Ironical I felt like sheldon when I did that, so I know what it is like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Acting **
    Story *
    Writing *
    Jokes **

Summer Glau. I think you just invented a porn star.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    Summer Glau. I think you just invented a porn star.

How is it pronounced?

Advertisement