Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Bang Theory

Options
  • 03-05-2009 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Only posting this because it think it is possible the worst Sit-com on the TV at the moment.

But just wondering what the views are of others :) A poll is required I think :)

The Big Bang Theory

Good: You should watch it is worthwhile

or Bad: Don't bother, it is as pointless as this poll :)

The Big Bang Theory 142 votes

Good: I would recomend you watch it
    0% 0 votes
    Bad: Don't bother
    100% 142 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I dunno... it's alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

*knock knock knock*
    penny
    *knock knock knock*
    penny
    *knock knock knock*
    penny

^^

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I really don't get it. It is just a grown up version of Saved by the Bell. It's jokes are riddled with over the top stereotyping, lined with set ups and one liners from so many other sitcoms that have come before it.

Sorry for not putting "it's alright" in the poll :(

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

I started to watch it for a few episodes as it was recommended to me by a friend, watched a few and couldnt stomach it anymore,

i don't understand it's appeal or it's popularity, but it has a large following.

chewing gum for the brain in my opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

*knock knock knock*
    penny
    *knock knock knock*
    penny
    *knock knock knock*
    penny

^^

Well said sir!....this sitcom is genius!...very well written!, granted season 1 was better, first half of season 2 was great, it's basically you'l have a few patchy episodes and it'll reyurn to form.

I find all the characters very likable, Sheldon is a legend!....with this format you can really have alot of fun and interesting ideas.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    I really don't get it. It is just a grown up version of Saved by the Bell. It's jokes are riddled with over the top stereotyping, lined with set ups and one liners from so many other sitcoms that have come before it.

Sorry for not putting "it's alright" in the poll :(

I disagree, the writing is much better...espicially with Sheldon, he's such an "alien" and his use of language and the "techno babble" and word play is excellent.

It's numbers are very strong and will get a third season.

I disagree, the writing is much better...espicially with Sheldon, he's such an "alien" and his use of language and the "techno babble" and word play is excellent.

Isn't this just Niles from Fraiser?

It's numbers are very strong and will get a third season.

There is nothing else competing with it, US sitcoms are dieing a death. Chuck Lorrie (sp?) has the other big sitcom in the US called "3 and 1/2 men" and TBH it suffers from the same old same old nothing really all that new or anything to LOL to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I like it. Sheldon is by far the best character in it.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bit of a slow burner.

The first few times I came accross it, I switched over straight away. Now I'm giving it a few minutes. Soon I'll be going out to get the box set.

I disagree, the writing is much better

In fairness to TBBT I am sure the writing is better then SBTB, I just took it as an example of how badly drawn "Nerds" are on TV.

Isn't this just Niles from Fraiser?

Niles was much more "human" then Sheldon, the guy has NO clue about people or social interaction, example....in the latest season he learned about sarcasm and used it very effictively. Look at the insults he's fired at Penny....pure class! :D

But the great thing is, he dosen't even know he's inslting her!...it's all matter-of-fact and observations. he has no sense of diplomacy and says everything out loud without knowing how he can be insulting, thats the great thing about Sheldon!

There is nothing else competing with it, US sitcoms are dieing a death. Chuck Lorrie (sp?) has the other big sitcom in the US called "3 and 1/2 men" and TBH it suffers from the same old same old nothing really all that new or anything to LOL to.

Well they have just added a great new twist...Rose is now stalking Alan! :D

Niles was much more "human" then Sheldon, the guy has NO clue about people or social interaction, example....in the latest season he learned about sarcasm and used it very effictively. Look at the insults he's fired at Penny....pure class! :D

But the great thing is, he dosen't even knoe he's inslting her!...it's a matter-of-fact and observations. he has no sense of diplomacy and says everything out loud without knowing how he can be insulting, thats the great thing about Sheldon!

Niles had to grow up in Fraiser it ran for a number of years before he settled. To me he seems like the typical out of place sitcom character. I will try to watch it again, but I saw (twice for my sins) the episode where the main characters mother arrives to stay with him, she meets Penny. And while the mother is an excellent comedic actress (and was the only good thing about Cybill) she didn't even get me laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its 2 and a 1/2 men....

TBBT is great fun, its fluffy, you can jump into it without any prior knowledge of the characters and get it, plus the nerd in me loves the comic/movie jokes, and one of my friends is essentially Sheldon but with a dose of sarcasm, so people like this do exist

Niles had to grow up in Fraiser it ran for a number of years before he settled. To me he seems like the typical out of place sitcom character. I will try to watch it again, but I saw (twice for my sins) the episode where the main characters mother arrives to stay with him, she meets Penny. And while the mother is an excellent comedic actress (and was the only good thing about Cybill) she didn't even get me laughing.

What about the interplay with those characters?....like how they made it seem Sheldon was talking about sex when in fact it was Karaoke!! :P

krudler wrote: »
    Its 2 and a 1/2 men....

TBBT is great fun, its fluffy, you can jump into it without any prior knowledge of the characters and get it, plus the nerd in me loves the comic/movie jokes, and one of my friends is essentially Sheldon but with a dose of sarcasm, so people like this do exist

3 and a half men is a piss take as Alan's son is like a 16-year-old now and looks it.
    They do make some very good and pointed Trek/Star Wars jibes and write them into everyday situations.

3 and a half men is a piss take as Alan's son is like a 16-year-old now and looks it.

Good save :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

OP name a good sitcom, from the past and one on at the moment, actually name a classic, a good one from the recent past and a present one. 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭frankiebaby

one of the best comedies around!!

OP name a good sitcom, from the past and one on at the moment, actually name a classic, a good one from the recent past and a present one. 3

Ah!

Good = Taxi, Friends, Scrubs, Spin City
    Classic = Seinfeld, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder
    Current = It's always sunny in Philadelphia, My Name Is Earl

Purely down to taste, I am just surprised that this sitcom is singled out by so many people.

The same goes for 2&half men.

I think it's the geek elements, guys like it for obvious reasons...and Penny. Girls like it because they are lovable nerds, girls like the idea of moulding this nerd into BF material. Hell Penny has being doing that with Leonard since season one. I'll bet money they'll introduce a love interest for Sheldon at some point....that should be fun! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

i love the one liners.

it's about time jokes about the law of large numbers et al made it to mainstream comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I like it

There is a lot worse sitcoms on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

It's an American comedy. Of course I don't watch it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It's very good. Although I liked season 1 a lot more. Penny was a lot more ditzy in season 1 and Sheldon wasn't as polarized.

Sheldon could kill it for me, he's been given way too much screen time and is becoming increasingly more irritating and less confusingly intelligent as the episodes roll on. He's slowly morphing from a nerd into a geek.

Is it better than Seinfeld or Frasier? Not yet. In the same caliber as Arrested Development or Curb Your Enthusiasm? No, and probably never will be.

I'll still keep watching it, but "The Nerdvana Annihilation" from season 1 still remains my favourite episode and hasn't been bettered yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Didn't see any of the first series but have gotten into the second series recently and I really like it. Sheldon is definitely the best character, although Leonard and Penny are very well written too.

I'm studying physics at college and so I love all the nerdy jokes and science references. One of my favourite moments was when Leslie broke up with Leonard just because he believed string theory was better than loop quantum gravity - brilliant! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Ah!

Good = Taxi, Friends, Scrubs, Spin City
    Classic = Seinfeld, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder
    Current = It's always sunny in Philadelphia, My Name Is Earl

Purely down to taste, I am just surprised that this sitcom is singled out by so many people.

The same goes for 2&half men.
    ok
    you have to compare it to other stage bound sitcoms, not sure earl really counts.or sunny counts

friends same obvious humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

TBBT is f**king hilarious. Sheldon is brilliant. Loved the latest episode where he had to spend the night with Penny because he locked himself out of his apartment.

Advertisement