Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Eh, because people pay it?

It's like how can some shops in town charge €60 more for a console pack than another shop? There's always people who don't shop around.

You are wrong there.

Believe me, I do shop around.Thats the problem in Galway city, everywhere seems to have almost exactly the same prices. hmmmmm:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The original question is why does the Top on the Tuam Road get to charge extortionate prices, I think my answer stands.

I do agree that a lot of the petrol stations within the city limits seem to have remarkably similar prices, however if you're willing to go a bit outside there is a good deal of variation to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I always shop around and I often find that Esso on the Ballybrit Dual Carriagieway is a couple of cents lower than the rest of the city.

I find myself going out of my way to buy get the cheapest petrol (even if it is only a cent or two cheaper). My mother keeps telling me that I'm probably not making a saving because of the fuel I waste when driving out of my way but I find myself still doing it out of principle as I don't like giving my money to someone who is clearly trying to rip me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

For diesel, the Corrib on the Tuam road is definitely the best.
    I notice one in Claregalway that is always 5 cents over everyone else.
    Another good one is beside Grealishes pub in Carnmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

105.9 in Topaz, Westside last night (Arch Motors). I think that the one on the bridge was the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Fey! wrote: »
    105.9 in Topaz, Westside last night (Arch Motors). I think that the one on the bridge was the same.

I wouldn't give them the steam of my ****.

They were caught clocking cars a few months ago! I'd imagine if they could water down petrol they'd have done that aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

Siopa an Phobail in Inverin (past Spiddal) are doing 99c / litre promotions between Thursdays and Sundays. If your heading out that way between those days hold off filling up if you can. No good unless your heading out that way I'm afraid.

Hogan's is currently 103.9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Hogans/Merlin is generally the cheapest I find

Good to keep an eye on it on www.pumps.ie though.

• Advertisement

The one euro mark is the benchmark.
    Those at 99c and less will get noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rallyman28

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Eh, because people pay it?

It's like how can some shops in town charge €60 more for a console pack than another shop? There's always people who don't shop around.

Why oh why? He's such a tightarse. I seen them make a person break a Fifty for one bloody cent!

All I've ever gone in there for is to fill up my windscreen washers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Was going through Ballinasloe on Tuesday. Prices at forecourts are 99.9 in 2 and in one was 98.9 per litre yet in the city here we are getting €1.06 on average (as far as I can see)....Am I missing something there? Does transportation of petrol cost 6 or 7 cent more per litre to get to the city than it does to Ballinasloe...or is this just one of the price perks to living in a country town?? Or is it (More likely)...we're still getting ripped off Galway city styleee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Was driving around a few mid-western counties yesterday and the most expensive was Galway City @ around €1.06 for Petrol. Cheers for the heads up on Balinasloe. The cheapest I found yesterday was €1.02 (or 3) in Tuam.

It can even vary immensely around the city, Topaz definately seems to be the cheapest, although the station on the dual carraigeway heading towards Doughiska usually is, but haven't been there in a while. I have never seen fuel prices drop so fast, it was only a few months ago I was paying €1.34 for 1ltr of Petrol. Filled the car for the first time in a while the other day and couldn't believe how much cheaper it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

You'd want some compensation for living in Ballinasloe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Was going through Ballinasloe on Tuesday. Prices at forecourts are 99.9 in 2 and in one was 98.9 per litre yet in the city here we are getting €1.06 on average (as far as I can see)....Am I missing something there? Does transportation of petrol cost 6 or 7 cent more per litre to get to the city than it does to Ballinasloe...or is this just one of the price perks to living in a country town?? Or is it (More likely)...we're still getting ripped off Galway city styleee?

Filled the tank in B'sloe yesterday, couldn't miss out on 99c/ltr. AFAIK the petrol is delivered into Galway and then trucked to petrol stations around Connacht, so it should be cheaper in Galway than Ballinasloe. Course the retailers will go on about higher rates/rents etc, but we all know there is a cosy cartel operating, they won't undercut each other so they'll all make a nice profit from us eejits...

The simple answer to the question is city petrol stations are a big shower of cheatin b******s and should be boycotted if possible for petrol and their shops! They wouldnt be long dropping prices if no one was buying from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Bass Cadet wrote: »

Its called competition. If one garage lowers its prices, and refuses to restore the status quo when given out to by other garages, then these other garages are also forced to drop their price or face extinction.

I know this because I have a friend who's a provincial sales manager for one of the big groups. Apparently its occasional practice to lower prices to gain some extra takings, but the other local garages will object. So then its a choice for them of whether the increased takings justifies the reduced margin, and the hassle from the other garages.

Its a classic cartel obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

hogans in cheapest alright. Pumps.ie's average price nationwide is 99c

• Advertisement

I passed through Tuam.
    Seems to be 1.05 euro everywhere.
    A bit on the expensive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Toft
    TangoTwit

Tigh Neil Inverin E103.9

I herd it was 99 a few days prevously

I can't understand whay anyone is putting it up at the moment.
    The total trend is down, even with those are are always top price.
    Do those top price stations ever sell anything, or what is their motivation in terms of pricing.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Toft wrote: »
    Tigh Neil Inverin E103.9

I herd it was 99 a few days prevously

Don't think Neil's was that low. Siopa an Phiobal was at the weekend. Wouldn't be surprised if Neil matches them, he's usually the cheapest in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mndgz

garage in derrydonnell 99.9 petrol, 102.9 diesel
    corrib oil ballinasloe 98.9 petrol 98.9 diesel

I presume all those Corrib stations are owner by the same guys.
    How come they are all different prices.?

Cunniffes in Clonboo was (I think) 102.9 when I passed it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Fey! wrote: »
    105.9 in Topaz, Westside last night (Arch Motors).

Did anyone else stop going to that garage when they started charging for AIR.

gg

Claregalway is still 106.9 while just down the road at Carnmore Cross it is 99c.

• Advertisement

Did anyone else stop going to that garage when they started charging for AIR.

I didn't realise that they charged for air. How much do they charge, and is the gauge accurate? (I ask this as I'd expect anyone charging for this service to have the best and most accurate machine in the town).

Advertisement