Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susan Boyle

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

asdasd wrote: »
    You are not following this argument at all, are you?

If only it was that clear cut.
    There are many intersection areas to this subject that have an effect on the current resulting media reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I dont agree with anything that Pighead just said but I thinked him anyway since thaning PH is cool with the kids.
    Spelling is also cool with the kids. In fact in a recent poll, 93% of all cool kids said they valued spelling more than thanking. Not cool asdasd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Dudess wrote: »
    I should have known this would turn into a "stop bullying Susan Boyle" thread.
    Biggins wrote: »
    As for "...stop bullying Susan Boyle thread."
    - why in gods name has it turned to one in the first place?
    :confused: It hasn't (apart from the odd comment about how unshaggable she is, but this is After Hours).

But you said it was in the first place. :confused:

These shows are made like this , Susan Boyle , what did you think when you first saw her ? When she came out it was portrayed as if she was going to be rubbish . Same thing happened with Paul Potts .

They want this , they wast people to be talking about it , she hasn't got the best voice but it is very good , but she is portrayed as the underdog . When people saw her they expected a laugh , that is why you get those standing ovations. A few people are overwhelmed with the guilt at how good she is . Bit like going out there and proving everyone wrong , a little respect is gained, that little bit of respect that they should have had in the first place .

People had judged her before she had even sang , they all judged her on her looks , and when she was good it gave the illusion it was better than that .
    Then came all the sensationalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Blangis

At a vulnerable, gullible woman's expense though Pighead?

Are you even reading our posts? There IS no backlash against her. And nobody said she was manipulating the media. The backlash is against the manipulation of her by others.

Does that include not stopping the audience from jeering at her? Does it include ensuring she doesn't have a bit of make-up put on her in the first place (as anyone would before they go on stage) in order to make her as dowdy as possible for maximum laugh value?

No answers? I'll tell you why - because there's no Boyle bullying, will you please read the posts...

The Boyle bullying was done before she opened her mouth - then it stopped because it's so "astounding" that a dowdy, middle-aged woman would have quite a good voice.

I think I see your point here. You are saying that people should be judged (or perceived, considered, appreciated, whatever) purely on their abilities. Any factor which is not relevant to the ability they are displaying should be irrelevant.

So, a singer's looks (whether they are pretty, ugly, or average) should be no more relevant than, for example, a shot putter's IQ. Correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Biggins wrote: »
    O' you mean like Britney, Lohan (Her cd), even Paris Hilton (Her CD)!
    Heaven help us!
    stepbar wrote: »
    What, like the ones who can't sing?

Eh, I think The_Coon was joking about the giving good-looking people a chance thing!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I actually think she's quite cute, in a Chunk from the goonies sort of way. Hey you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Why shouldn't she use what god has given her. Lots of pretty slappers use their tits and arse to get get noticed. So she used her uni-brow to get somewhere.

The chick can sing, albeit not well. But either can that other tranny lady gaga and she's famous for singing about her fcuking pokerface.

Susan Boyle should sing about her uni-brow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Does anyone else think she looks like Biffa Bacons Mutha from Viz?

That aside, the whole furore is a joke. It's as if it's a story of the 'ugly duckling who could' or some other pfaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This story is sooooo old........14 years old in fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What the hell is he doing to her? She should have wee'd on his face.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    This story is sooooo old........14 years old in fact
    That's a shocking pink jacket on Barrymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

WindSock wrote: »
    What the hell is he doing to her? She should have wee'd on his face.

Or pee'd in his pool...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Its good for morale (even worldwide) that someone is living a dream (although apparently turning to hell for her). She came from nothing to become someone, that little bit of hope we all have of ever becoming someone, she's doing it and I think this is why she's captured soo many hearts. I just hope it doesn't go to her head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I dont agree with anything that Pighead just said but I thinked him anyway since thaning PH is cool with the kids.
    I just thank Pighead if I agree with him - and he has a very good way of putting things sometimes. The sycophancy people associate with him is all in the head...
    cHaTbOx wrote: »
    But you said it was in the first place. :confused:
    My mistake, I thought Biggins meant it had turned into a "bullying Susan Boyle" thread.
    These shows are made like this , Susan Boyle , what did you think when you first saw her ?
    I didn't watch it - had I done so, I know I would have found it heartbreaking to see her being jeered like that and I know I would have been disgusted at how the make-up/wardrobe crew were clearly told not to go near her.
    I know once I heard her sing I'd have thought "nice one, a big fuk you to those jeering assholes" but then I know my feelings would have returned to ones of disgust at the flood of condescending insincerity and the saccharine national and international sentiment that despite this "handicap", she "defied the odds", "was a living example of a fairytale" etc...
    When she came out it was portrayed as if she was going to be rubbish... They want this , they wast people to be talking about it , she hasn't got the best voice but it is very good , but she is portrayed as the underdog.
    Bingo - there's my problem with it. Do you not see how manipulative that strategy is? If she was in on it, I wouldn't have a problem, but unlikely, seeing as she has a mild intellectual disability.
    When people saw her they expected a laugh , that is why you get those standing ovations. A few people are overwhelmed with the guilt at how good she is
    Ah yes, "guilt" at making fun of her - because she actually has a good voice "surprisingly enough". But if she didn't have a good voice, then the making fun of her would be fine... :rolleyes:
    Bit like going out there and proving everyone wrong , a little respect is gained, that little bit of respect that they should have had in the first place
    That's precisely it. They shouldn't have been cruel in the first place. How does having a good voice make them take it all back? Why didn't they continue to make fun of her looks? The looks are still the same - how does her voice cancel it all out?
    togster wrote: »
    Why shouldn't she use what god has given her.
    Well it's actually Simon Cowell et al who's doing that.
    Lots of pretty slappers use their tits and arse to get get noticed. So she used her uni-brow to get somewhere.
    No she didn't - Britain's Got Talent did. And it was at the expense of her being publicly humiliated initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I thought Shaheen Jafargholi was way bettter:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DroghedaColeen

Why are these discussions here about this poor woman? I find the whole thing sick. It started out nice, but now the British media is on it's way to ruining her life. People are so interested in her, is it only because she's not blonde and beautiful?? You guys are pathetic. It's cruel. I saw an article here that people are bothering to go to Paddy Power and place bets on her. Imagine how she must feel! One of the bets is whether she'll pose for Playboy or not. Sad sad people.
    <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Why are these discussions here about this poor woman? I find the whole thing sick. It started out nice, but now the British media is on it's way to ruining her life. People are so interested in her, is it only because she's not blonde and beautiful?? You guys are pathetic. It's cruel. I saw an article here that people are bothering to go to Paddy Power and place bets on her. Imagine how she must feel! One of the bets is whether she'll pose for Playboy or not. Sad sad people.
    <SNIP>

Banned for reregistering.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I dont like the look of yours, super-rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

People wake up! It was all staged!
    Oh and there is also no such thing as the tooth fairy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I dont like the look of yours, super-rush.

Yours looks worse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

WindSock wrote: »
    Does anyone else think she looks like Biffa Bacons Mutha from Viz?

I almost choked laughing.

Mutha...:D

Ah here now.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2009/0502/boyles.html
    It has been reported that actress Catherine Zeta-Jones and director James Cameron are interested in making a film of the life of 'Britain's Got Talent' star Susan Boyle.
    The Daily Mail reports that Zeta-Jones has inquired about the rights to a film about the singer, whose appearance on the ITV show is the most viewed Youtube clip ever with over 100m hits.
    An ITV source said: "This is one of many requests we have had to play her [Ms Boyle], for movie deals and for stories of her life. All these people are coming out and want to be associated with her. She is the biggest thing in the world. It is mental."
    Advertisement

Zeta-Jones' US publicist denied that the Welsh-born actress is planning to play Boyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mmm_chocolate

I have to say I was fairly suprised when Susan Boyle started singing, I thought she'd be pure rubbish. That said, she's not as amazing as people are making her out to be. The little 10 year old girl who was on it last week was a world ahead of Boyle. 10 years old with a voice so mature and controlled. I almost fell off my seat!

Aidric wrote: »
    Jesus Christ... it seems like a piss-take but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if it wasn't. Charlie Brooker went on a rampage about it on his TV show the other night - it was great.
    I have to say I was fairly suprised when Susan Boyle started singing, I thought she'd be pure rubbish.
    Why? Because she's middle-aged, dowdy, unattractive, fat and a bit slow?

Why are these discussions here about this poor woman? I find the whole thing sick. It started out nice, but now the British media is on it's way to ruining her life. People are so interested in her, is it only because she's not blonde and beautiful?? You guys are pathetic. It's cruel.
    Maybe you should actually read the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why? Because she's middle-aged, dowdy, unattractive, fat and a bit slow?
    Kinda, but also because people get put on that show for two reasons: because they have some talent, and because they are embarrasingly talentless.

It's obvious, given the format and history of the show, that most would think this giving that she is not the typical type of entrant that succeeds on that show. However, if the show had some class and less of the Roman Colosseumness, viewers would have an open mind about everyone that stepped onto the stage. But that will never happen, it's brain cheez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Can we just leave the thread at this?

Gordon wrote: »
    Kinda, but also because people get put on that show for two reasons: because they have some talent, and because they are embarrasingly talentless.

It's obvious, given the format and history of the show, that most would think this giving that she is not the typical type of entrant that succeeds on that show. However, if the show had some class and less of the Roman Colosseumness, viewers would have an open mind about everyone that stepped onto the stage. But that will never happen, it's brain cheez.
    Yeah, you're right. What's rather unappetising though is the way it was suddenly no longer ok to heckle her when it turned out she could sing... but if she couldn't sing, the jeering would be fine. And now all the patronising, pitying deification of her, which a good-looking woman - even a stunning one - just would not experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I present my counter argument. The Cheeky Girls.

Advertisement