Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susan Boyle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Dudess wrote: »
    I considered that, but in my opinion it's suited to here because it raises interesting questions in general. It's not about Britain's Got Talent.

The only interesting questions it raises for me is "Has she got a box like a burst mattress"?

And

"Would she take a look at a big shiny bell-end,and say "fcuk my pussy fcukface till I faint."?

Couldn't give Jack Schidt other than that,don't be raising things up for what they are not.

Toshy load of fluff doesn't deserve serious study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

The woman is musically gifted and I'm sure if she read a forum with some people who spend their time online as entertainment criticizing her, she'd just laugh!
    Just be happy for her and stop moaning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The_Coon wrote: »
    This whole Susan Boyle thing sickens me.

Yet another ugly chick getting by on her lack of looks.
    It's high time that the music industry started giving some good looking people a chance.

What, like the ones who can't sing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    much.

Is it like Paul Potts

Who? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

galwayrush wrote: »
    Who? :confused:

Is that the the Cambodia genocide guy??? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Is that the the Cambodia genocide guy??? :pac:

Thought he was a Pole Pot:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The_Coon wrote: »
    This whole Susan Boyle thing sickens me.

Yet another ugly chick getting by on her lack of looks.
    It's high time that the music industry started giving some good looking people a chance.

O' you mean like Britney, Lohan (Her cd), even Paris Hilton (Her CD)!
    Heaven help us!

I'm glad to see that anyone irrespective of how "bad" they look actually stands a chance of fame.
    What if a person had an arm missing, was in a wheelchair, etc? Should we just write them off right away because they aren't "good looking" enough too?

I personally might not like their talent/voice/skill or could be just stupid enough not to appreciate it fully - but I do wish them to at least have some sort of decent chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

I missed the show originally. Heard all the hype and got curious, so of course, I utubed it and I was left thinking, whats all the fuss about? (specifically, her voice)...

I thought maybe the judges heard something that I didn't, or that it sounded a lot better in the theatre than it came across on our screens. Anyway I thought fair play...i wasn't exactly blown away.

Then I came across another link of her singing the song 'Cry me a river'. She'd made the recording for charity or something...and I WAS blown away.

I'm no expert, but all I can say is I think this song is sung beautifully...i could listen to her singing it all day! HAve a listen..what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

seaner wrote: »
    ...Then I came across another link of her singing the song 'Cry me a river'. She'd made the recording for charity or something...and I WAS blown away.

I'm no expert, but all I can say is I think this song is sung beautifully...i could listen to her singing it all day! HAve a listen..what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI2DxkrgpgQ

Wow - thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

destroyer wrote: »
    These reality shows are gas. They just need to keep coming up with a new angle to keep themselves in the news.

We've had beautiful people who can sing, beautiful people who can't sing and now an ugly who can sing.

All thats left is to make a star out of an ugly person who can't sing.

Jeez, I could be famous yet. :D

We already did. Jade Goody.

• Advertisement

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Judge as ye shall be judged...

One mans meat is another mans poison...

'Nuff said...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,012 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that Brian Cowen may be have been holding back on a singing career, not thinking that he would fit the bill as an international cabaret star, but Susan Boyle's success might encourage him to release an album. You never know, he might find out that he's good at something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭conorlechance

I agree with Ike in South Park. I don't care that some fool can sing. She didn't do anything, she was born with that. I deserve more credit for typing out this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

The funny reaction to Susan Boyle amused me, too, OP. Particularly the American reaction. For some reason this thing went huge in America, and it went particularly huge in the left wing blogoshpere, where people were posting it to womens email groups etc.

Some examples at the huffington post.

Clearly American culture is different. Beauty must be all. The middle aged frumpy woman is anonymous.

As Dudess says, that someone cries after Susan sings is pretty much the same reaction as jeering before she sang. Neither group expected much, precisely because of the way she looked.

Not so for those of us from similar sized villages to Ms Boyle - or even larger towns. I wasnt surprised that a frumpy middle aged woman could sing adequately enough ( as well as many a talented amateur in a small town, or village). I am in fact surprised when middle aged frumps decide not to sing. Generally you cant shut them up. They'd be singing O Holy Night all year, if you left the feckers.

I was watching it live, back in parent's house for Easter. So I saw nothing special, nothing to surprise me. A drab middle aged woman - 47 going on 57 - sang. That's common . I continued to surf the web. There was a genuinely good dance trope though, on later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

rio-rose wrote: »
    word through the grape vine, she's a virgin and worse still never kissed anyone either... wonder why :rolleyes:
    Um... nobody would fancy her? Wow, how astounding.
    b28 wrote: »
    The woman is musically gifted and I'm sure if she read a forum with some people who spend their time online as entertainment criticizing her, she'd just laugh!
    Just be happy for her and stop moaning!
    The point... you missed it.
    Biggins wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that anyone irrespective of how "bad" they look actually stands a chance of fame.
    Except she's famous because of her looks, not in spite of it.
    What if a person had an arm missing, was in a wheelchair, etc? Should we just write them off right away because they aren't "good looking" enough too?
    No, and we shouldn't make a big deal of their appearance in a positive manner either. We should just let them get on with it. It was ensured this woman looked as unattractive as possible so that she'd get ridiculed, then she sang and people underwent "conversions" - schmaltzy tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

...Would you?

Probably not.

Except she's famous because of her looks, not in spite of it.

No, and we shouldn't make a big deal of their appearance in a positive manner either. We should just let them get on with it. It was ensured this woman looked as unattractive as possible so that she'd get ridiculed, then she sang and people underwent "conversions" - schmaltzy tosh.

So IF - IF she manipulated the media because of the way she looks, she should be kicked down, held back, etc...???
    In that case every false blonded, big enhanced chested female (or puffed up six pack males) should be also held to same high regard, principle and response.
    ...but O' no, thats a different story of course!

For some she has a good voice, for others she don't.
    Give the woman a fair chance at singing and let her do what hundreds of thousands have done before her, use the media to their advantage, even for a short while.

There should be less of the quick-fire bullying and more of sympathy for the underdog - its usually us or will be some day - if not already!

So IF - IF she manipulated the media because of the way she looks, she should be kicked down, held back, etc...???
    No - how on earth did you come to that conclusion? :confused:
    She is the one being manipulated.
    For some she has a good voice, for others she don't.
    Give the woman a fair chance at singing and let her do what hundreds of thousands have done before her, use the media to their advantage, even for a short while.
    I'm not saying she shouldn't have a fair chance at singing at all.
    There should be less of the quick-fire bullying and more of sympathy for the underdog - its usually us or will be some day if not already!
    Missing the point - she was bullied before she started singing and now she's being glorified because, "despite her looks" she's a good singer! Do you not see the hypocrisy and the condescending nature of this?

I should have known this would turn into a "stop bullying Susan Boyle" thread.

So IF - IF she manipulated the media because of the way she looks, she should be kick down, held back, etc...???

You are putting quite a few words into the OP's mouth, arent you. She didnt accuse Susan of manipulating anybody.

Her point is simple. The overreaction to Susan Boyle is lookist anyway, including the people who love her. Especially the people who love her.

Imagine she was an average looking 28 year old. And sang the exact same. Would we be talking about her, would she be on youtube?
    Less of the quick-fire bullying and more of sympathy for the underdog

Sympathy (for an underdog) is not that far from pity - and pity is a superior emotion ( think of the use of pitiful, or pathethic). Watching Susan Boyle sing I felt no goosebumps because I made no prior assumptions that a middle aged woman in a bit of disrepair was an "underdog", or couldnt sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

She's the spit of Eddie Large.

EddieLarge.jpg

• Advertisement

No - how on earth did you come to that conclusion? :confused:
    She is the one being manipulated.

I'm not saying she shouldn't have a fair chance at singing at all.

Missing the point - she was bullied before she started singing and now she's being glorified because, "despite her looks" she's a good singer! Do you not see the hypocrisy and the condescending nature of this?

Again IF as some are supposing, that she set out to make herself 'ugly' looking more so for sympathy, then she is only using the media outlets in the same fashion/methods of use as Britney, Lohan, Hilton, Miley, Carey, and so on...

Why all of a sudden is Boyle now being the one to be picked on aggressively than the rest?

As for "...stop bullying Susan Boyle thread."
    - why in gods name has it turned to one in the first place?
    I think thats a more important question we should all be asking ourselves and then look at our underlying common decency values, re-examining them.

I'm not a sudden fan of Boyle's - so far there has been better acts on the show for me (Flawless/Diversity) but I personally don't like the sudden backlash on a woman that is doing MAYBE nothing more than others before her.

Someone explain this one. Others have done the same thing as Boyle stands accused of - manipulating the media (can't see her having the mental media savy to do this to be honest).
    Those same previous ones (and current ones too) are far better looking than her - why is it then that she is the only one that is getting this serious backlash?
    Is it just because she was originally started out ugly in one way or another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

chris crocker flashback.
    anyway you are right dudess, id say the whole hype was just around the whole "scruffy looking woman 60+odd year old virgin"and not so much the singing.
    shes not bad of a singer, but she isnt that magnificant either.
    if anything i heard better ones, but they prolly lack the whole background story.

i must say, well done on getting ridd of the severe scotty accent whilest singing ^^

I think thats a more important question we should all be asking ourselves and then look at our underlying common decency values, re-examining them.

You really dont get the argument, do you.

Those of us who were not surprised that a middle aged woman could sing are being less judgemental, or superior than people who are amazed that she could sing. What are you so shocked and self congragulatory about?

That said I know a 28 year old woman, of normal looks, who sings just as well.

She wouldnt hit that you tube heights because it would seem "normal" that she could sing.
    that she set out to make herself 'ugly' looking more so for sympathy, then she is only using the media outlets in the same fashion/methods of use as Britney, Lohan, Hilton, Miley, Carey, and so on...

She didnt do that. However that show has pre-auditions. I bet that on the x-factor people are given makeovers before meeting the main judges.

Again IF as some are supposing, that she set out to make herself 'ugly' looking more so for sympathy, then she is only using the media outlets in the same fashion/methods of use as Britney, Lohan, Hilton, Miley, Carey, and so on...
    Maybe she did, but it's doubtful. Seems more like the producers of the talent show ensured she looked as dowdy as possible.
    Why all of a sudden is Boyle now being the one to be picked on aggressively than the rest?
    :confused: But she isn't. I for one am only having a go at the cynical Britain's Got Talent crew and the insincere fawning of the media.
    As for "...stop bullying Susan Boyle thread."
    - why in gods name has it turned to one in the first place?
    :confused: It hasn't (apart from the odd comment about how unshaggable she is, but this is After Hours).
    I personally don't like the sudden backlash on a woman that is doing MAYBE nothing more than others before her.
    You really don't seem to be getting the point - there ISN'T a backlash against her (the opposite in fact), there's just a criticism of Cowell et al.
    Others have done the same thing as Boyle stands accused of - manipulating the media (can't see her having the mental media savy to do this to be honest).
    Exactly! She's not the one doing the manipulating.

asdasd wrote: »
    ...What are you so shocked and self congragulatory about?

I'm shocked at the veracity of the backlash against her for her MAYBE doing what others have definitely done before her.
    ...as for "self-congratulatory about?" - no idea where thats coming from!
    asdasd wrote: »
    ...However that show has pre-auditions. I bet that on the x-factor people are given makeovers before meeting the main judges.

I'm quite sure they do and one of their tasks would be to provide a diversity of acts, people, skills and looks.
    So they did their job. its nothing more than has been done before and will continue to be done after this particular show has ended.

Again, why the Boyle bullying in the first place and not others before her?
    A bit very one sided to be honest!

After-thought: I have little or no respect for the gutter media press.
    They are past of the lowest form of scum most times.
    At the end of the day they are thinking of sales and profits. Cowell fits in with them right too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Think it's a bit over the top to condemn the producers for playing up Boyle's dowdy image. So what if they didn't dress her up and give her a makeover. They are in the world of entertainment and it's their job to maximise every last ounce of drama and to create talking points from the show.

These people are in the entertainment industry and they've managed to entertain a hell of a lot of people over the past month. If you lot were in charge of the show, there would be no drama, no talking points and ITV would axe the show at the end of the current season.

At a vulnerable, gullible woman's expense though Pighead?
    I'm shocked at the veracity of the backlash against her for her MAYBE doing what others have definitely done before her
    Are you even reading our posts? There IS no backlash against her. And nobody said she was manipulating the media. The backlash is against the manipulation of her by others.
    I'm quite sure they do and one of their tasks would be to provide a diversity of acts, people, skills and looks.
    So they did their job. its nothing more than has been done before and will continue to be done after this particular show has ended.
    Does that include not stopping the audience from jeering at her? Does it include ensuring she doesn't have a bit of make-up put on her in the first place (as anyone would before they go on stage) in order to make her as dowdy as possible for maximum laugh value?
    Again, why the Boyle bullying in the first place and not others before her?
    No answers???
    No answers? I'll tell you why - because there's no Boyle bullying, will you please read the posts...

The Boyle bullying was done before she opened her mouth - then it stopped because it's so "astounding" that a dowdy, middle-aged woman would have quite a good voice.

At the end of the day, I find the whole farce a sad reflection on the way we treat some and not treat others equally to be honest.

One rule for some and another for others.
    In this case the dividing line was partly (greatly) created over just original looks.
    That is a shame and a sad indication of the true underlying character of those that are doing the 'knocking' - including the gutter media.

We would all be better off not buying the papers of the gutter press.
    Sadly, that won't happen.

In this case the dividing line was partly (greatly) created over just original looks.

You are not following this argument at all, are you?

• Advertisement

I dont agree with anything that Pighead just said but I thinked him anyway since thaning PH is cool with the kids.

Advertisement