Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susan Boyle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The_Coon wrote: »
    This whole Susan Boyle thing sickens me.

Yet another ugly chick getting by on her lack of looks.
    It's high time that the music industry started giving some good looking people a chance.
    Missing the point - the hysterical gushing over her ultimately makes the same statement as the jeering. It's still a form of singling her out.
    I really hate this attitude.
    What attitude?
    First off, her voice was remarkable, I have no idea how you could say it's not.
    It's nice, far from bad. It is not remarkable - Maria Callas's voice was remarkable.
    Second of all, she just went to an audition...she hardly expected everything that came with it.
    Well I'm not questioning anything Susan has done, I'm questioning how she is being manipulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

She was a good singer but not that fantastic imo.. maybe 'cos it was the most boring song in the world:), I was surprised to hear she could sing...but tbh if she looked really good I don't think I'd have even noticed her. I was expecting her to be crap..something along the lines of your one in Sat night's episode who was 'performing to 'Fame!':o. I also hated Michelle McManus' voice, just didn't like the tone of it....or that woman in the wheelchair from X-Factor a few yrs ago. I thought she was very average. On a positive, the wee fella singing Michael Jackson was outstanding and that wee one from Sat night in the tutu....really good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dudess wrote: »
    So initially she gets jeered at because of her looks (and in fairness, while the jeering's inexcusable, she was dressed more dowdily than I thought possible, her hair wasn't done, her eyebrows weren't groomed and she had no make-up on - a pretty woman wouldn't be allowed on stage like that so that was obviously a deliberate strategy), then she sings - with a nice but fairly unremarkable voice - and suddenly she's spoken of as if she's the Second Coming.

Anyone else find the deification of Susan Boyle grotesquely patronising, and as bad as the initial ridiculing of her?

I'm just glad its her and not just Paris Hilton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

So does every series of these shows have one big ugly heffer in it that happens to sing wonderfully? Would the surprise therefore be if one day they didn't have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Indie18 wrote: »
    Kind of fat chick, bushy eyebrows, ok voice, she's on the britons got talent crap.

That's a sort of "I watch it religiously but I'll never admit" remark.:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Maria McKee? Butterface . Like everything musically, give it long enough and it will come back again.

hshortt wrote: »
    Maria McKee? Butterface . Like everything musically, give it long enough and it will come back again.

Maria McKee would get it tho. On the other hand there's not enough alcohol in the world that would make Susan Boyle start to look attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

It's nice, far from bad. It is not remarkable - Maria Callas's voice was remarkable.

Don't know how you can call it nice, nice to me is a but of a put down to be followed by a but! I think VERY few people could get up and sing that song as well as her, and that therefore makes it remarkable/extraordinary. Maria Callas was a great opera singer. but remember that susan boyle has had no training I would say and that was all natural talent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Maria McKee would get it tho. On the other hand there's not enough alcohol in the world that would make Susan Boyle start to look attractive.

I disagree. If you use the alcohol to set her on fire, I'm sure you could get her to a state of do-ability

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

She's not unique. She definitely doesn't have the best voice.

Remeber Faryl Smith, the young girl who sang opera on britains got talent last year? She had a much better voice. Girls I know in my choir have a much better voice than her.

The thing is you don't need a brilliant voice to be a famous singer, all you need is the right spin, and Cowell has manipulated it to its full potential:

Make her look as dowdy as possible
    Show people slagging her off
    Show pople overcome with ermotion after being proven wrong,

and you're onto a moneymaking winner

• Advertisement

I disagree. If you use the alcohol to set her on fire, I'm sure you could get her to a state of do-ability

Even then the only one get aroused would be a pyromaniac.

Remeber Faryl Smith, the young girl who sang opera on britains got talent last year?

No. Did she also look like something from The Hills Have Eyes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    No. Did she also look like something from The Hills Have Eyes?

No she was really good looking which is why she didnt make it.

She didnt 'overcome' anything like susan boyle.

It's all about the sob story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

A fleeting one perhaps but a lasting one? Doubtful.
    Has anything that has ever emerged from a reality TV talent show ever gone on to have any kind of lasting career in the spotlight?

Protip: Ignore the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...The thing is you don't need a brilliant voice to be a famous singer, all you need is the right spin, and Cowell has manipulated it to its full potential:

Make her look as dowdy as possible
    Show people slagging her off
    Show people overcome with emotion after being proven wrong,

and you're onto a moneymaking winner

Partly true lol.

To her credit, regarding Faryl Smith, I and many feel does have a great voice.
    While we won't see her in the charts - if indeed thats one way to judge "Talent" (I don't think so but thats just me) - she will have clearly a long and sustained career a head of her.
    There will be highs and lows but her voice is creating her now occupation and good luck to her.
    (Bought her cd by the way - great stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Has anything that has ever emerged from a reality TV talent show ever gone on to have any kind of lasting career in the spotlight?

I couldn't give a sh1t, I'm just pointing out that while she's a marketeer's dream now the likely fleeting nature of the hype will just show how little substance there is to this nonsense.
    She should have been given a bit of a make-over before she went on stage, just like anyone else would have. Nothing drastic - just her hair done, eyebrows plucked, a bit of eye make-up and some flattering clothes... for dignity's sake. Then they should have let her go on stage and just sing her song. Instead, they let her go on looking exceptionally dowdy, knowing people would snigger - and they probably told her to act all zany. She's supposed to be a gullible, innocent woman with a mild intellectual disability. Shame on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

JC 2K3 wrote: »

Kelly Clarkson would be the best example I guess.....and to a lesser extent Girls Aloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

susan boyle; good on her.striking a blow for ugly people all over the world.
    (even if the moment was a skillfully manipulative piece of television marketing).
    these recessionary times will be the time of the underdog,like seabiscuit and the cinderella man back during the great depression and i wish susan all the luck in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Yeah, it's fairly patronising alright. The worst thing is, if she had come on stage, sang dreadfully, everyone would have felt that their sniggering was justified. I hate the way they were laughing at her before she sang...un-called for. But I guess it makes good TV so everything's a-okay. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Talent over style, she hasn't a hope.doesn't count now days.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

She wants to be an opera singer in all fairness now she doesnt need to have good lucks to sing in the opera most opera singers are ugly anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

RE her voice, I actually really like it.

I'm normally first up on the bat to slag those who pass through the Big Brother style fame machine, but TBH, I think Susan Boyle has talent.
    Then again, my idea of music is some sweaty East Coast band with singers that sound like Cookie Monster coughing up a furball.

I'm surprised that her voice is thought to be unremarkable, I was very impressed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

dizzyniki wrote: »
    Well word on the street is that she's actually working there but she does get staff discount!
    She is her own best customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

eoferrall wrote: »
    but remember that susan boyle has had no training I would say and that was all natural talent.

She had a voice coach for several years, man by the name of Fred O' Neil.
    According to him this was her last shot at making it in the business.

Now Cowell reckons her debut album will go to number one in America and says he expects her to earn around 3 million this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

been honest, everyone here has their own point of view.. hence this site been set up..
    she maybe not everyones cup of tea ( the opera )
    but in all fairness she has got a genuine fantasic voice..

and my view she will go far, on the opera scene which in our world we wont get to see much of her..

word through the grape vine, she's a virgin and worse still never kissed anyone either... wonder why :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

southpark was quick getting her in a production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I really hate this attitude. First off, her voice was remarkable, I have no idea how you could say it's not.

Have you ever heard Ruthie Henshall sing that song? Youtube it.

I've been to Les Miserables several times, I've heard various totally unknown singers singing "I Dreamed a Dream" (which in my opinion is a beautiful, powerful song), and all of them were as good as Susan Boyle or an awful lot better.

I'm not saying she doesn't have talent - she can sing a hell of a lot better than me! - but if she'd gone up there looking the part it wouldn't have been such a big deal. People were just amazed at the juxtaposition of her looks and her voice, which in my opinion is pretty damn crap and patronising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

In my opinion she will be the next Paul Potts... Everyone loves her for a month or two, goes straight to the shop the day her album comes out and get bored of it after a day because they realise that they actually hate that kind of music but they just bought the CD because she was on 'da telee'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Have no idea who she is, dont watch tv much.

Is it like Paul Potts where she is such a fish out of water and picks something that is not a boring pop song that she gets a huge reaction for being different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

These reality shows are gas. They just need to keep coming up with a new angle to keep themselves in the news.

We've had beautiful people who can sing, beautiful people who can't sing and now an ugly who can sing.

All thats left is to make a star out of an ugly person who can't sing.

Jeez, I could be famous yet. :D

Advertisement