Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susan Boyle

Options
  • 27-04-2009 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

So initially she gets jeered at because of her looks (and in fairness, while the jeering's inexcusable, she was dressed more dowdily than I thought possible, her hair wasn't done, her eyebrows weren't groomed and she had no make-up on - a pretty woman wouldn't be allowed on stage like that so that was obviously a deliberate strategy), then she sings - with a nice but fairly unremarkable voice - and suddenly she's spoken of as if she's the Second Coming.

Anyone else find the deification of Susan Boyle grotesquely patronising, and as bad as the initial ridiculing of her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Simon Cowell tbh

The man's a genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Who?

Kind of fat chick, bushy eyebrows, ok voice, she's on the britons got talent crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I don't watch them show's specifically because If I wanted to see Mediocre hacks showing their talents I will walk down Patricks Street around Christmas time. Sure she has a nice voice, but she is unmarketable, and them shows are all about Marketability which ever way you look at it.

So, In short, I just don't care about her one way or the other. But yes, in the one video I saw she did come across as Patonising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I'm convinced its a man....or at least was.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

[Southpark] ...if one more person talks to me about that Susan Boyle performance of Les Miserables I was going to puke my balls out through my mouth [/Southpark]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

she will be dragged through the mud and slaughtered by the media before this series ends for one thing or another.. i can see it coming

I'd give her one.....

A punch that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Celeb and showbiz forum, you should know better Dudess - you were an AH mod, you probably would have moved this yourself!

Keep Britian's got talent / X-factor crap outta AHcrap!!!

[/backseatmod]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

[...] but she is unmarketable [...]

lol

It's marketing at it's finest =p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

You know you've made it when .........

Celeb and showbiz forum, you should know better Dudess - you were an AH mod, you probably would have moved this yourself!

Keep Britian's got talent / X-factor crap outta AHcrap!!!

[/backseatmod]
    I considered that, but in my opinion it's suited to here because it raises interesting questions in general. It's not about Britain's Got Talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I wouldnt say she gives a crap about what people are saying about her. She's raking it in, doing interviews all over the States and England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Dudess wrote: »
    So initially she gets jeered at because of her looks (and in fairness, while the jeering's inexcusable, she was dressed more dowdily than I thought possible, her hair wasn't done, her eyebrows weren't groomed and she had no make-up on - a pretty woman wouldn't be allowed on stage like that so that was obviously a deliberate strategy), then she sings - with a nice but fairly unremarkable voice - and suddenly she's spoken of as if she's the Second Coming.

Anyone else find the deification of Susan Boyle grotesquely patronising, and as bad as the initial ridiculing of her?

I'd love to say i've never heard of this but yeah:
    "Grotesquely patronising" pretty much nails it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Its people like Susan Boyle that are destroying this world. No doubt she'll be treated like a new mega-star or some crap. She'll get that cunt Max Clifford as her PR and she'll be plastered all over the fucking media until something better comes along like a cute puppy that can tapdance or some shit. It really grinds my gears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Couldn't agree more.

She is famous simply because she has a decent voice and is....shock horror, a little bit ugly. If a good looking woman had walked onto the stage and sung like that she wouldn't get a look in in the papers.
    It just shows how society views people really, in that if you are percieved to be ugly, dowdy etc then you are automatically judged to be weak, and talentless. So when someone bucks the perceived trend, it is amazing. :confused:

So yes, it is incredibly patronising.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Its people like Susan Boyle that are destroying this world.

Balls it is. She's only as famous as she is because of the people who put here there. She will have almost no impact on my life whatsoever. Destroying this world? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

it raises interesting questions in general

what are these interesting questions?

who is asking them?

how are they being asked?

where can they be found?

when are they going to get answered?

why are they not being answered in an equally interesting fashion?

oh, i think my point was... what was the question again??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Not having a clue who people like this are really makes me feel good about myself.

So she does serve an important purpose in that regard anyway.

Scien wrote: »
    Are you having a giraffe?
    She's going to be a goldmine for whatever label eventually picks her up.
    An ugly duckling music sensation with a sob story?
    She is every Marketeers dream.
    A fleeting one perhaps but a lasting one? Doubtful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

This whole Susan Boyle thing sickens me.

Yet another ugly chick getting by on her lack of looks.
    It's high time that the music industry started giving some good looking people a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭dizzyniki

The whole thing is staged. I know a girl who was invited by Simon Cowell to sing for him and the judges at the X Factor but she didn't because her Mom felt she was too young!!! The Susan Boyle craze has been blown outta proportion! Fair enough she has a talent but she doesn't look great!!! Michelle mcManus also had talent and looked awful. She lasted 15minutes in the spotlight and WHERE IS SHE NOW???? Most of ye will even wonder who she is in the first place!!! When this is all over Susan Boyle will be a one hit wonder type phenomenon and we'll live our daily lives not casting another thought as to where she is!!!! It was funny when she walked out on stage, she couldn't even speak properly or state that she lived in a "village". Ya sometimes I forget where I come from too!!! The fact of the matter is someone put her up to it and knew we'd get a laugh off of it!!!! However the British absolutely love an underdog, and the real talents that could be around for a lot longer than a middle aged biddy will be the forgotten ones! That little boy who sang the Michael Jackson song..........which was also probably staged....... is an unbelieveable singer!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I really hate this attitude. First off, her voice was remarkable, I have no idea how you could say it's not. Second of all, she just went to an audition...she hardly expected everything that came with it.

This is nothing new in the world of reality TV and media over reaction to it and is not worthy of a thread tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

dizzyniki wrote: »
    Michelle mcManus also had talent and looked awful. She lasted 15minutes in the spotlight and WHERE IS SHE NOW????

Could be in Burger King, ordering 2 double whopper meals, extra onion rings and a large diet coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Could be in Burger King, ordering 2 double whopper meals, extra onion rings and a large diet coke?

LOL, I remember her character on Bo Selecta was a black four man tent with a fat head sticking out of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭dizzyniki

Well word on the street is that she's actually working there but she does get staff discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yeah, she's not that great, just ugly and got laughed at. Paul Potts was much better but because he wasn't really ugly he didn't get to go on Oprah. It's the ordinary looking people that have it the worst really.

Simon Cowell is one clever bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

This gimmick is old already. Tho that said it'd probably still have some novelty value if her name was Ida Amin or somesuch.

Advertisement