Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women walks away scot free after admitting making up sexual assault allegations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Darkbloom wrote: »
    Believe me, it's incredibly difficult to get a rape conviction as is, and my point that I've been getting at is that false accusations are a tiny minority and are in no way as endemic as some of the hysterical responses on this thread imply.
    So why exactly don't you get the point I'm making? It's ****e like these cases that make idiots like this bandy about false information. After all, it is members of the public who sit on juries.
    I'm assuming that the above was aimed at me.
    Just FYI, I didn't make up that statistic, it's from a study done by a reputable university. It was based on (AFAIR) claims reported to the police, not those that went to trial.

EDIT: This isn't the one that I was thinking of, but this study with a far smaller sample size looks into the reasons that women give false rape allegations (cite) This study only includes cases where the woman in question admitted that her claim was false.

2nd EDIT: http://www.americandaily.com/article/5075

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So why exactly don't you get the point I'm making? It's ****e like these cases that make idiots like this bandy about false information. After all, it is members of the public who sit on juries.

Banned for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

EDIT: This isn't the one that I was thinking of, but this study with a far smaller sample size looks into the reasons that women give false rape allegations (cite) This study only includes cases where the woman in question admitted that her claim was false.

2nd EDIT: http://www.americandaily.com/article/5075

These stories are horrendous. It's just simple and utter shame.

I would be careful with transferring the statistics straight from US to IE though.

herya wrote: »
    These stories are horrendous. It just simple and utter shame.

I would be careful with transferring the statistics straight from US to IE though.
    Oh I know. Statistics must always be read in a certain way, but I doubt that the discrepancy between the US and Europe is that huge, particularly since similar stats occured in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It's a horrible situation for the man, but the amount of people falsely accused pales in comparison to the amount of genuine claims that are dismissed...
    How do you know that? If a case is dismissed, then there exists the potential that it's not a genuine claim. Really what you are saying here is: the amount of people I believe are falsely accused, pales in comparison to the amount of cases that are dismissed.
    This tells us very little to be honest.
    or don't even make it to court.
    Cases that don't make it to court, aren't proven either way.
    Now don't get me wrong - I understand the point you are making - however, you are talking about unproven cases, so it's all speculative, and depending on your own personal prejudices this can be interpreted anyway.
    "THEY ALL LIE!" ****.;)
    I don't think anyone here is suggesting that in earnest.

Edit: I notice that the Sun are running a report which is claiming that the Irish make the most amount of false rape claims in Europe!
    I'm stressing the word claim, as it is the Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭ding_dong

Hogzy wrote: »
    She shouldnt be jailed, that would just be pointless, she clearly made the accusations for a reason, and in my opinion it was probably a call out for help!

I would have hated to be your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ding_dong wrote: »
    I would have hated to be your parents.

Agree, so now we simply have to hope that any future cock ups aren't poor children simply calling out for help? If you want to call for help, call for help, but don't fu%*ing ruin my life in the process.

I just don't get folks making excuses for sh1t.
    A call out for help? What a lame reason to give for this twisted girl!
    How about she is simply a disturbed and nasty little bitch!

Now, if the child did this wholly on her own, then I don't give a sh!t
    what call for help it was, IMO, it was a sick and twisted call and I will
    not excuse it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Eddie Yu

dinneenp wrote: »

At least Una Hardester returned to Ireland to right a wrong. Unlike Dr Moira Woods who being suspended from practice in January of 1996, by the Medical Council, she sold up in June of 1996 and fled to Tuscany. Because the Medical Council Inquiry was being held "in-camera" and thinking that her word would be taken as gospel, she faced the Inquiry. She has never tried to right the wrongs she did nor will she ever face prosecution.

Will she return to Ireland and face the public in the High Court, not bloody likely. Where will that leave the victims of Dr Woods who are looking for the restoration of their good names? Still branded and demonised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Haven't read any replies except the first 3 but just wanted to through my input out there.

the girl did something really fukked up when she was a child <SNIP> and probably didn't think a whole lot about it untill she was old enough to understand the weight of the actions (probably around age 16/17?) she then realised it was really messed up and spent a few years obsesing over it and eventually returned from America, where she could ahve lived out the rest of her live without ever thinking twice about this but instead chose to admit pergury and face possible prison time so that she could clear the mans name and try make up for it as best she can.

She is still only 19, this shows that she has a conscience and was willing to take per punishment, odds are your man will never forgive her, and that is his right, but she made an effort <SNIP> and was willing to take the punishment.

I commend her and only hope that more of the people who wrongly accuse others of such horrid things come forward in such a manner and accept the punishments they deserve and clear the name of wrongly accused men and women!

She ****ed up as a kid and is trying to make it right as a young woman.
    Doesn't excuse her actions but it does show that she is a different person and has learned from it.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Agree, so now we simply have to hope that any future cock ups aren't poor children simply calling out for help? If you want to call for help, call for help, but don't fu%*ing ruin my life in the process.

I just don't get folks making excuses for sh1t.
    A call out for help? What a lame reason to give for this twisted girl!
    How about she is simply a disturbed and nasty little bitch!

Now, if the child did this wholly on her own, then I don't give a sh!t
    what call for help it was, IMO, it was a sick and twisted call and I will
    not excuse it.
    ............and now she wants her 15 minutes of fame!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

She perverted the course of justice and should be tried for this offense.

<SNIP>

Sickening that a girl would do this. If it was a boy and the roles were reversed there would be up cry from women all over the world = typical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

She perverted the course of justice and should be tried for this offense.

<SNIP>

Sickening that a girl would do this. If it was a boy and the roles were reversed there would be up cry from women all over the world = typical.

Hate women much?
    Wanna talk about it?

How was your relationship with your mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Hogzy wrote: »
    She shouldnt be jailed, that would just be pointless, she clearly made the accusations for a reason, and in my opinion it was probably a call out for help!

You're either a complete idiot or a sh1t stirrer, either way you should keep your mouth shut.

She says hereself -

"Ms Hardester said she had lived with a 'cancerous guilt' since the event, had found God and was trying to make amends.

She added: 'I did something terribly wrong and I got away with it. Other people paid a heavy price. I want to clear his name now."

Has discussion ended?

Eddie Yu wrote: »
    Has discussion ended?

Seemingly not. The chickens are home to roost. The truth will out. Those of us at the coalface of false accusations of child sexual abuse know the way these cases are handled by the authorities. Perjury, deciet, doctored reports and lying social workers and psychologists with the help of the gardai and the legal profession contribute in no small way to the epidemic of false accusations of child sexual abuse and rape. Why and how? The 'in-camera' rule which protects them from public scrutiny.

The in-camera rule protects the victims from having everyone know that they were raped or abused.

Would you actually remove that rule?

The in-camera rule protects the victims from having everyone know that they were raped or abused.

The rule should have been done away with many years ago. The 'in-camera' rule does not protect anybody except the so-called child savers. It is a proven fact that in all accusations of child sexual abuse the name of the victim and their family plus the name of the accused and his family are in the public domain within hours of the accusation being made.

So, who is being protected - certainly not the accused, certainly not the alleged victim, only those intent on getting a conviction no matter what the cost.

Here we see the mindset of the child saver - the assumption that all alleged 'victims' have been raped or abused. No wonder Mr Hannon was convicted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Has discussion ended?
    Seemingly not. The chickens are home to roost. The truth will out. Those of us at the coalface of false accusations of child sexual abuse know the way these cases are handled by the authorities. Perjury, deciet, doctored reports and lying social workers and psychologists with the help of the gardai and the legal profession contribute in no small way to the epidemic of false accusations of child sexual abuse and rape. Why and how? The 'in-camera' rule which protects them from public scrutiny.

Hi Eddie, are you chatting to your self because your responding to your own posts.:eek:

• Advertisement

pirelli wrote: »
    Hi Eddie, are you chatting to your self because your responding to your own posts.:eek:

Perhaps, the Hannon case causes me great upset. 22 years ago I was falsely accused of incest, child sexual abuse and cruelty to a child - my daughter. Although the main accuser was found guilty of professional misconduct by the Medical Council, those who stood over her findinds, i.e. social workers and psychologist and the apologists who supported her I still stand accused of crimes I did not committ. Unlike Mr Hannon who has had his good name restored I still wait. I am not alone in my wait for justice regarding the crimes of Moira Woods.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If everyone was straight-up and told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth whilst in camera I'd have no problem with the rule. What we've seen however is that when untruths are entered into court, and someone's good name gets unjustly destroyed, that the in-camera rule doesn't work.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We removed a tract of text from this thread today on the grounds that we couldnt verify the source.

While I do not verify the source, nor does Boards stand over the content, the tract of text can be found here:
    http://unahardestersmotherspeaks.blogspot.com/

be aware that you are leaving Boards.ie and we do not stand over what is said on this or any other site, but I feel this is "in the public interest" and so we are replacing the tract with the link to her site.

DeV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

People are gonna say "blah blah it will stop girls from reporting rapes" but no, it won't. For the girl to be convicted it would have to be proven beyond reasonable doubt she falsely accused the man. THere would have to be evidence.

Ultimately, public confidence that unfounded rape allegations are weeded out is conducive to a higher conviction rate which leads to more girls reporting rapes.

The reality is that most rape claims are not prosecuted (indeed, many are not even sent to the DPP) and often the reason for this is that the allegations are unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

DeVore wrote: »
    We removed a tract of text from this thread today on the grounds that we couldnt verify the source.

While I do not verify the source, nor does Boards stand over the content, the tract of text can be found here:
    http://unahardestersmotherspeaks.blogspot.com/

be aware that you are leaving Boards.ie and we do not stand over what is said on this or any other site, but I feel this is "in the public interest" and so we are replacing the tract with the link to her site.

DeV.

It seems that the same text is published in today's Irish Daily Mail so it looks like its source is verified. There is also an article about the falsely accused man, told from his point of view.

Just FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I had such an angry response in my head before I read that blog post by Una's (alleged) mother. If what she says is true, then Hannon was not accused out of malice, but out of a frightened, confused child saying what she thought she was supposed to. I wouldn't be surprised if she'd ended up thinking herself that she had been attacked by him.

Have you got a clue what you are talking about? Do you even know how such a case is brought to trial?

Assuming the case even reaches court, the victim may have to undergo a rape kit (sson after the rape but it would be evidence), recount the story, have accusations of their alleged promiscuity be brought against them as an undermining tactic, and their sexual history dragged through the courts. It's a long and rigorous process, and you haven't got a clue what you're talking about. Plenty of people don't even bother reporting cases for this reason.

You say all this as if it's a bad thing. Of course a victim should undergo a rape kit! Of course they should be questioned rigourously. This is not victim blaming, it's due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Piste wrote: »
    I had such an angry response in my head before I read that blog post by Una's (alleged) mother. If what she says is true, then Hannon was not accused out of malice, but out of a frightened, confused child saying what she thought she was supposed to. I wouldn't be surprised if she'd ended up thinking herself that she had been attacked by him.

You say all this as if it's a bad thing. Of course a victim should undergo a rape kit! Of course they should be questioned rigourously. This is not victim blaming, it's due process.

i agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Wow, seems the only one to truly abuse this girl was her father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

According to today's Indo "Una saved the money to return from the US in 2006 so she could clear Mr Hannon's name and apologise to his family. She would have come sooner, she said, but her "hot headed" father wouldn't let her."

I think it's honourable of her to have come back and told the truth. Perhaps she could have done something about it earlier (a phone call perhaps) but at least she set about undoing the wrong.

A thing that troubles me is how she knew about child sex abuse at 10 years of age

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Firetrap wrote: »
    According to today's Indo "Una saved the money to return from the US in 2006 so she could clear Mr Hannon's name and apologise to his family. She would have come sooner, she said, but her "hot headed" father wouldn't let her."

I think it's honourable of her to have come back and told the truth. Perhaps she could have done something about it earlier (a phone call perhaps) but at least she set about undoing the wrong.

A thing that troubles me is how she knew about child sex abuse at 10 years of age

Did you read that account in the blog. Two points become clear

1) She had to recant her statement in person and authorities were well aware of her desire to do so prior to her return.

2) Something happened to her and it was well intentioned though ultimately misguided adults who lead her to make the claims she did.

Advertisement