Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women walks away scot free after admitting making up sexual assault allegations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/victim-of-wrongful-conviction-in-sex-case-to-seek-euro1m-damages-1721464.html

update

"Ms Hardester told gardai she was never coerced or coached by anyone into making the allegation."

And the guy in question is only seeking 1 million in damages? thats all? whats that in £? was the orginal exchange rate 1.27?

Anyway your man has been screwed over and your 1 - i really want to know why we havent applied to the states to have that c**t extradited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

User45701 wrote: »
    "Ms Hardester told gardai she was never coerced or coached by anyone into making the allegation."

"Ms Hardester went on the record to completely absolve her family, as she can never be prosecuted given that she committed the crime as a child".

• Registered Users Posts: 54,965 ✭✭✭✭walshb

jimi_t wrote: »
    "Ms Hardester went on the record to completely absolve her family, as she can never be prosecuted given that she committed the crime as a child".

Seeing as she has been lying for so long, who is to say what she is saying now is true.
    Anyway, if it's the truth, she really is a bad egg and the whole, "I found god" is enough for me! These are the ones who really need monitoring!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

walshb wrote: »
    Seeing as she has been lying for so long, who is to say what she is saying now is true.
    Anyway, if it's the truth, she really is a bad egg and the whole, "I found god" is enough for me! These are the ones who really need monitoring!

I'm not sure about her personally; I would like to see <> whoever was responsible convicted. It's a terrible situation, especially for the innocent guy, but coming forward takes balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Caoimhín wrote: »
    She should spend the same time in jail as he did.

It was a suspended sentence...

• Advertisement

Anyway, if it's the truth...

''I found God!'' > ''I found the relevant statute of limitations!''

• Registered Users Posts: 54,965 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Darkbloom wrote: »
    I'm not sure about her personally; I would like to see <> whoever was responsible convicted. It's a terrible situation, especially for the innocent guy, but coming forward takes balls.

I assume you mean convicted ONLY if it's proven they did coerce and support her original claim?

Anyway, how this could be proved now is very unlikely, given the girls
    history!

I assume you mean convicted ONLY if it's proven they did coerce and support her original claim?!

Obviously. It's a very strange case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Whats strange?

She lied. People do.
    She admitted the lie. People do. :confused:

Zulu wrote: »
    Whats strange?

She lied. People do.
    She admitted the lie. People do. :confused:

Yes, but the question of how you can address the mistake and redress the wrongs of the conviction...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Terry wrote: »
    As for the chick in question. She found God, so all is well.

How the **** do people get away with stuff by saying they have found God?
    This is not a state run by any church*, yet courts are lenient on those who say they found God.
    What if someone was to say sorry for wasting the court's time. I'm not going to be a bad person any more.
    Would they be treated the same way?
    It's a ****ing cop out and I can't believe judges can't see past it.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    I wasn't agreeing that the two cases are comparable, just outlining what te post was about.

Yup, sad state of affairs. You'll probably find most of these violent criminals who are released from prison despicably early have 'found God'. Found an easy escape route is more like it.

sidenote: I wonder if one was to 'find God' and start quoting the Bible passages that condone rape would you get off lightly? (first to make a joke about that choice of wording will suffer).

C'mon lads, neither of you have any solid ground for saying that.

Darkbloom wrote: »
    Yes, but the question of how you can address the mistake and redress the wrongs of the conviction...
    I can think of a good few ideas:
    Man sues state for damages.
    State apologises for man for wrong doing.
    State prosecutes woman for perverting the course of justice in original case.
    State investigate case again and prosecute anyone else complicit in the lie.
    Woman is persecuted further if found to be guilty of lying <>/is offered an amnesty in new case for helping any further investigations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

DrumSteve wrote: »
    if they bring in a law stating that if you lie about an assault then you go to jail... well it wouldnt work.

basically then every court case would have someone going to jail... defendant or plaintiff. basically whoever wins the other is ****ed. ( literally)

It'd stop victims coming forward especially if there is no coherent evidence ya know.

her parents should still be genitally mutilated though.

There already is a law against this; it's called perjury and has always been illegal.
    Caoimhin wrote:
    She should spend the same time in jail as he did.
    He spent no time in jail ;) (first offence, suspended sentence)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Unfortunately in Ireland, perjury is treated very lightly. Almost nobody is ever convicted of it, or even charged with it,even if it's as plain as the nose on your face what is going on. Look at the tribunals.:mad:

ilkhanid wrote: »
    Unfortunately in Ireland, perjury is treated very lightly. Almost nobody is ever convicted of it, or even charged with it,even if it's as plain as the nose on your face what is going on. Look at the tribunals.:mad:

Tribunals ≠ Court Case so it doesn't apply, but I completely agree with you. Asides from Italy we're the only EU country where the head of state has been caught lieing outright when under investigation in a formal setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

994 wrote: »
    There already is a law against this; it's called perjury and has always been illegal.

But didnt this girl perjur herself by doin what she did? <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Zulu wrote: »
    I can think of a good few ideas:
    Man sues state for damages.
    State apologises for man for wrong doing.
    State prosecutes woman for perverting the course of justice in original case.
    State investigate case again and prosecute anyone else complicit in the lie.
    Woman is persecuted further if found to be guilty of lying to protect family/is offered an amnesty in new case for helping any further investigations.

State can't prosecute her now, AFAIK, for what she did in 1997 at the age of ten.

If the state *could* prosecute her, I'd be interested to know how the whole 'God finding' thing would have worked out.

State can't prosecute her now, AFAIK, for what she did in 1997 at the age of ten.
    Oh I know. I was just answering the question posed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

DrumSteve wrote: »
    But didnt this girl perjur herself by doin what she did? <SNIP>

Yes she did but she was 10 at the time so I presume she can't be charged for what she did as a child. IF (if if if) she was coached or coerced by an adult they could be charged but not her - again I presume.

I wonder if she can be cross-examined now re: possible coercion thing. I think it would be a fair thing to do, I wonder if the victim can apply for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Just heard on Today FM that apparently she admitted to the Garda 8 years previously that he didn't molest her.

• Advertisement

Just heard on Today FM that apparently she admitted to the Garda 8 years previously that he didn't molest her.

Oh. That would kind of shift the onus.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

the little bitch should be locked up...that's just wrong, she ruined a guys life...

Is your comment not a little harsh??!!! Are you forgetting she was ten years old! A child of that age may tell lies and say things to gain attention, however it looks like in this case she was probably listening to her family who had issues with this man's family. She may have been coerced into making this story up! I agree an adult making false allegations should definitely be given a jail sentence but a child?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

lalalulu wrote: »
    Is your comment not a little harsh??!!! Are you forgetting she was ten years old! A child of that age may tell lies and say things to gain attention, however it looks like in this case she was probably listening to her family who had issues with this man's family. She may have been coerced into making this story up! I agree an adult making false allegations should definitely be given a jail sentence but a child?????

frankly you'll be finding a lot of harsh comments; the fact remains that a lot of the anger here, well, as a male, I can't help but think 'there but for the grace of God go I'.

Or any of us.

frankly you'll be finding a lot of harsh comments; the fact remains that a lot of the anger here, well, as a male, I can't help but think 'there but for the grace of God go I'.

Or any of us.

Honestly I can sympathise. It must be similar to what most women feel hearing about a gruesome random rape. It could have been me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There is a pic of her on the front page of one of the rag newspapers.

Shes hot

Im saying no more, but you all know what im thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Why didn't she come forward when she was in her teens?

Surely she knew the difference between right and wrong by that stage (or not the stupid bicth). :rolleyes:

K4t wrote: »
    Why didn't she come forward when she was in her teens?

It's mentioned above that she might have done that a couple of years ago. I'd like to hear more on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fer fucks sake......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The news said that he only found out by chance that she retracted her statement. Sounds like that gardi ****ed up.

• Advertisement

I agree, but this case is different. She was NOT a woman when the claim was made.
    She was 10 and it's possible I would say that this child was coerced and supported by
    adults in making the claim. These are the real vermin in this case and these should be held responsible

Fully agree with that.

Read the story today. There was a dispute over land previously between her parents and the accused <SNIP>

[offtopic] 3000th post woohoo :p [offtopic]

Advertisement