Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women walks away scot free after admitting making up sexual assault allegations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Eddie Yu wrote: »
    Perhaps, the Hannon case causes me great upset. 22 years ago I was falsely accused of incest, child sexual abuse and cruelty to a child - my daughter. Although the main accuser was found guilty of professional misconduct by the Medical Council, those who stood over her findinds, i.e. social workers and psychologist and the apologists who supported her I still stand accused of crimes I did not committ. Unlike Mr Hannon who has had his good name restored I still wait. I am not alone in my wait for justice regarding the crimes of Moira Woods.

I was listening to a discussion about her on the radio and her method of diagnosis for the sexual abuse was found to be erroneous. If I remember correctly she misplaced normal child behavior and attributed her bizarre diagnosis based on normal behavior's.

As for the people who act on her instructions it creates an hierarchy that creates these mistakes that go on for so long. I really would find it hard imagine the turmoil that would cause someone. This Mrs woods should own up to her mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Eddie Yu

Now that the facts of what truly happened in the Michael Hannon case are finally emerging, perhaps people will stop trying to second-guess what went on.

To have any knowledge about what goes on in these type of cases one needs to have been falsely accused and then subjected to investigation by the 'child-savers'. The dogma of the 'child-saver' is; there is no such thing as a false accusation of child sexual abuse. Ask the DPP, the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, CARI, and the ISPCC who are on record as stating false accusations are a myth. The print media and RTE must shoulder their responsibility and blame in creating media hysteria and moral panic regarding child sexual abuse.

When the Hannon case broke last week it was covered on five seven news on RTE. Mary Wilson covered the story after the 5 o'clock news bulletin.

Beforehand RTE had trotted out a very nervous Mary Raftery to speak about her 'States of Fear' documentary. The anxiety in her voice was palpabable.

" Having said that, I am conscious of the possibility that an injustice may have been done in one or more of the cases raised by the Group, most of which relate to the mid - 1980's when our services for investigating allegations of child sexual abuse were not as developed as they are today. It is understood from Mr Hernon that none of the children concerned are still in care. While this does not undo any injustice that may have been done in the past, it does at least mean that there are no children in care who should not be in care. It also means that the issue that arises in relation to the Group is that of restoring individuals good names and/or providing compensation for distress et. Short of establishing a Statutory Inquiry, it would be impossible for us to have the original evidence reviewed, particularly as this would involve second guessing the basis on which the Courts decided to place these children in care. There is also the fact that the Fitness to Practise Committee of the Medical Council is investigating complaints of false findings against one doctor. In the circumstances, I feel that we should not pursue this matter for the present; however it will inevitibly arise again, probably through the Courts. ( Principal officer in the Dept of Health to the Minister for Health and Children May 1994) Although the doctor was found guilty of professional misconduct the people falsely accused still stand accused without their good names restored.

House Passes Wrongful Conviction Bill
    On April 24, the Texas House passed the Tim Cole Act (House Bill 1736) by Rep.Rafael Anchía, which increases the lump-sum compensation paid to wrongfully convicted persons to $80,000 for each year spent in prison. The bill also sets compensation at $25,000 for each year a wrongfully convicted person spent on probation or registered as a sex offender.
    The measure is named for Timothy Cole, who spent 13 years in prison for a 1985 rape he did not commit. Cole died in prison in 1999, but it wasn't until this year that he was officially exonerated, after a two-day hearing in Travis County.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Kevin Myers had a piece about it in todays Indo. I don't always agree with him-to say the least-but this is spot on. He mentioned that other case that I referred to earlier. It happened in Cyprus. Little sympathy for the falsely accused man there either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

ilkhanid wrote: »
    Kevin Myers had a piece about it in todays Indo. I don't always agree with him-to say the least-but this is spot on. He mentioned that other case that I referred to earlier. It happened in Cyprus. Little sympathy for the falsely accused man there either.

Thats what you get when you apply laws unfairly. His point was that it was gender basded application of laws which made them so unfair and he particularily singled out the Womens movement for its silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

CDfm wrote: »
    he particularily singled out the Womens movement for its silence.
    Well, to be fair, you can expect nothing else, really, from a sexist organisation.

The womens movement has no interest in benefiting anybody other than women (regardless of the consequences).

Zulu wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, you can expect nothing else, really, from a sexist organisation.

The womens movement has no interest in benefiting anybody other than women (regardless of the consequences).

really -I saw the adverts on TV and I thought they also protected children from Domestic Violence.

I can never understand why John Waters says otherwise like here http://home.connect.ie/smacsuibhne/kids/john_waters/jw11.htm He has been getting away with this for years.

After all the Domestic Violence Ads are on state run TV and paid for by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Originally Posted by NOGMaxpower
    She perverted the course of justice and should be tried for this offense.

<SNIP>

Sickening that a girl would do this. If it was a boy and the roles were reversed there would be up cry from women all over the world = typical.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Hate women much?
    Wanna talk about it?

How was your relationship with your mother?

What exactly was wrong with his post? He's right!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭5318008!

CDfm wrote: »
    really -I saw the adverts on TV and I thought they also protected children from Domestic Violence.

I can never understand why John Waters says otherwise like here http://home.connect.ie/smacsuibhne/kids/john_waters/jw11.htm He has been getting away with this for years.

After all the Domestic Violence Ads are on state run TV and paid for by the government.

I've never read any of his other columns, but i agree with that one 100%.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by NOGMaxpower
    She perverted the course of justice and should be tried for this offense.

<SNIP>

Sickening that a girl would do this. If it was a boy and the roles were reversed there would be up cry from women all over the world = typical.

What exactly was wrong with his post? He's right!!!

THe girl was just a kid at 10.

Can you cynically manipulate a 10 year old - of course. I think she was quite brave to come forward. Thats my 10 cents.

Should we question how evidence is collected from children and whether it is done ethically and the impartiality of those involved - of course.

We shall have to wait and see her motivation for coming forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Zulu wrote: »

I wonder how is that surprising for Myers?

Again he is groping in the dark. He says there is no sympathy for Michael Hannon. I'd say that there are bucketloads of well deserved sympathy from both men and women. Women's orgs don't defend him because - surprise surprise - he's not a woman. Do "Justice for Fathers" orgs defend mothers?

5318008! wrote: »
    I've never read any of his other columns, but i agree with that one 100%.

http://fact.on.ca/news/news0202/ir020204.htm

http://www.alliancesupport.org/news/archives/000680.html

herya wrote: »

It (the Womans Movement) portrays itself as benefiting society via equality so that is for both genders and both genders should support it for that reason.It also in protecting children from abuse and DV . I think Myers is surprised that it can get away with these assertions in all honesty and that these assertions are untrue.

Yes - it should be surprising that justice is a gender issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

The surprise stems from the fact that these groups portray themselves as working towards equality for the benefit of society as a whole. This, while well defended by many groups - with zeal - is a lie.

Another surprise is that groups that fight a previous elitism, are actively working towards creating another one. Sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marvinsa

Hogzy wrote: »
    She shouldnt be jailed, that would just be pointless, she clearly made the accusations for a reason, and in my opinion it was probably a call out for help!

Obviously you're another one of the wishy-washy, do-gooder, limp people who think that people who harm others should not be punished, they have rights too and these rights must be respected ...
    There are too many people like you in this country who ignore the fact that crime & in this case, false accusations, have a victim & cause pain & suffering for many. These people should not be pampered or considered victims of society or whatever you want ot call them. We spend too much time considering the rights of the perpetrator, and not enough considering the impact on the victim. Why in so many murder, rape, assault etc cases does the state & numerous other "do-gooder" organisations use every possible resource to help the perpetrator / guilty deal with & understand their crime, when the real victims are left on their own to try to piece together what is left of their lives.

I am not specifically referring to this girl and her allegations (and she must be commended for coming forward) but crimes which destroy lives need to be far more stringently punished, in particular, murder, assault, rape etc. I cannot understand why there is never an outcry for 2-year sentences for crimes like rape / serious assault. It breaks my heart to imagine what the victim & his / her family must go through when they hear of such joke short sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 charliesboots

marvinsa wrote: »
    Obviously you're another one of the wishy-washy, do-gooder, limp people who think that people who harm others should not be punished, they have rights too and these rights must be respected ...
    There are too many people like you in this country who ignore the fact that crime & in this case, false accusations, have a victim & cause pain & suffering for many. These people should not be pampered or considered victims of society or whatever you want ot call them. We spend too much time considering the rights of the perpetrator, and not enough considering the impact on the victim. Why in so many murder, rape, assault etc cases does the state & numerous other "do-gooder" organisations use every possible resource to help the perpetrator / guilty deal with & understand their crime, when the real victims are left on their own to try to piece together what is left of their lives.

I am not specifically referring to this girl and her allegations (and she must be commended for coming forward) but crimes which destroy lives need to be far more stringently punished, in particular, murder, assault, rape etc. I cannot understand why there is never an outcry for 2-year sentences for crimes like rape / serious assault. It breaks my heart to imagine what the victim & his / her family must go through when they hear of such joke short sentences.

I take that you also believe that the rights of accused people should be stringently enforced to ensure that more innocent people are not convicted......or is that another wishy washy, do-gooder attitude?

Supreme Court rules in favor of abuse victim Louise O'Keefe. Maeve Lewis of the one in four group shows support. Who foots the bill - the taxpayer again and because of the child sex abuse industry. Sickening.

Supreme Court rules in favor of abuse victim Louise O'Keefe. Maeve Lewis of the one in four group shows support. Who foots the bill - the taxpayer again and because of the child sex abuse industry. Sickening.

What are you talking about and how it relates to Hannon case? Someone who won before the Supreme Court must have been a genuine victim so what this bitterness is about?

What are you talking about and how it relates to Hannon case? Someone who won before the Supreme Court must have been a genuine victim so what this bitterness is about?

The deafening silence from 1 in 4 regarding the Hannon case and another victim costing the taxpayer money.

• Advertisement

Not too mention the other hundreds of cases yet to be taken by the 'survivors' of child sex abuse and fully supported by 1 in 4, a group who have stated on many occasions that false accusations are a myth and a rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not too mention the other hundreds of cases yet to be taken by the 'survivors' of child sex abuse and fully supported by 1 in 4, a group who have stated on many occasions that false accusations are a myth and a rarity.

Eddie, I have read of your personal story here and I find it disturbing and sympathise with you, but you seem to be implying that most of the cases or alleged claims are false?
    I would not have thought this to be true. What about all the cases where the perpetrator gets off and is guilty?

The deafening silence from 1 in 4 regarding the Hannon case.

And what would you expect them to do exactly?

walshb wrote: »
    Eddie, I have read of your personal story here and I find it disturbing and sympathise with you, but you seem to be implying that most of the cases or alleged claims are false?
    I would not have thought this to be true. What about all the cases where the perpetrator gets off and is guilty?

Give me one example please. Again we have the mindset that the accused is a 'perpetrator' and if cleared of any wrongdoing he/she is still guilty. Also, I do not want sympathy - only justice for the falsely accused. And please do not quote the case of Father Sean Fortune to me - he was never convicted by any court of law. Sean Fortune was judged by a biased media and let me tell you a fact, 95% of all cases of alleged child sexual abuse turn out to be either non-confirmed - case pending or false accusations with only a 3% conviction rate.

And what would you expect them to do exactly?
    Go to the child abuse commission

Go to the child abuse commission

When? Why? What for?....

When? Why? What for?....

Access to the Redress Board which has cost the taxpayer dearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 charliesboots

Eddie I think you might need to start a new topic on this rather than clogging up this one.

I know its relevant in some ways but its mainly off topic

• Advertisement

Eddie I think you might need to start a new topic on this rather than clogging up this one.

I know its relevant in some ways but its mainly off topic

Really, it will be clear from looking at the link that there is and has been an epidemic of false accusations of child sexual abuse/child abuse over the last two decades or more. Had this scandal been exposed many years ago maybe Mr Hannon would not have had to endure the last ten years of profound psychological trauma. Always remember You could be next!

Advertisement