Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esker Hills

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 keepourcreche

hi adam,
    my point exactly safety in the area and particularly near the entrance is paramount and we as residents must see to this as the developer is long gone and the local authority say they have no money. I always think highly of your opinion and debate is valuable and as they say no publicity is bad publicity.see you around the estate.... have a good day,:D

Obaraten wrote: »
    Can you cut out the baiting please

will do but reserve the right to reply to comments posted

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

This was posted on the esker hills facebook page last night by the Laois Bible Fellowship:
    Hello Everyone, Mike Tardive here, the pastor of Laois Bible. I just want to inform you that we as a church have voted to withdraw our application for planning. After having considered your concerns over traffic, parking and estate ownership, we felt that we would be doing the right thing by withdrawing. We are a chur...ch who wants to care about the real issues people are dealing with. To say that we do, and then to trample upon your hopes and concerns would be the height of hypocrisy. Though I doubt if you will get your creche,(I hope I am wrong) we do hope you get something that is "yours." Overall, we hope that instead of coming in and adding to your ongoing problems, that by our withdraw, issues will be highlighted and we can be a part of the solution. Thanks, Mike

Hi folks just seen on Laois co. council planning site that the application for change of use has been withdrawn for the third time. “no surprise there”. On behalf of my husband and I we would like to take this opportunity to wish mr Tardive and his organisation the best of luck in finding a suitable premises.
    Now that the change of use is no longer an issue The community need to continue the focus on the purpose built crèche and improving road safety at the entrance.
    As residents we will be contacting O.N.S on Monday morning to arrange a public meeting with the residents
    Of Esker hills on the crèche issue.
    As regards road safety we will be contacting Laois Co. council and the gardai as to what measures can be put in place. We will keep you updated on any replies that we receive.
    Have a nice weekend….. :):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TippTopp

Hi All,
    Just to let you know that I've started planting daffodil bulbs at each tree along the entrance and the front green of the estate earlier today. I will continue tomorrow and next weekend; but if anyone young or old feels like joining me or either to continue on what I've started within the estate would be great. Fingers crossed that they grow over the winter and add some nice colour to the Esker Hills area in springtime:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Well done to you!! It takes a Tipp man to do that:D Its a great idea and I will do the same here in Bluebell Way around the trees on the green. They will be lovely:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 insaneabouthunt

good on you SNIPPED and your partner,you have done nothing but halt progress on this site,all the last ten lads from owenass devolpments thank you from the dole queue in portarlington,

regards the unemployed thanks to you

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

good on you SNIPPED and your partner,you have done nothing but halt progress on this site,all the last ten lads from owenass devolpments thank you from the dole queue in portarlington,

Explain to me who u are talking about here please. ?????

elainee40 wrote: »
    Explain to me who u are talking about here please. ?????

I like to know that too. Can't make out if that message is angy, sarcastic or what? Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Excuse me but this post makes very little sense. Are you implying that the residents should accept the church to give some builders a few days work??
    Hilarious suggestion if you are. The lads on the dole queue should be thanking someone else.

Good man/woman TippTopp. Very nice of you to plant those flowers.
    Anyone have any news re the shop?

• Advertisement

Is that what that message was all about? That Church? SNIPPED I still dont get what that poster was talking about!

i wish the person would come on and say

People who react with anger to a situation seldom have the courage of their convictions when they calm down. It was a strange message though.

I don't actqually know what the poster is talking about so I am guessing.
    Eddie Leonard is a resident of esker hills who had objected to the planning permission.

my name is called edwards my partners is leonard yes we objected. but so did god only knows how many a person.

hence eddie leonard i pursume. but then this person was also saying no about the church

I dunno what the deal is here either? 'Twas a strange post to put up now seeing as how the whole church thing is well over? And its not you he's talking about Elaine, Eddie Leonard is another resident

thanks for that adam hun, some people can hold grudges i tell ya lol

No bother Elaine :)

And I just want to say a huge fair play to Anne (Tipp Topp) for planting the daffodils too. You're a feckin Trojan Anne!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kshocks

Hi All

I'm an Esker Hills resident. Myself and my wife have lived in BlueBell Way for the past 3 years, but i've only just now discovered this thread and the fact that so much work has been done by people in the estate on behalf of all the residents. I didnt even know there was a seperate dedicated forum set up for the estate. I'm presuming that was adser53, if it was fair play to you, it seems like you and others in here did a lot of work. Nobody could blame you with becoming a bit disheartened, its too big a place for one big committee to work. The small committee's for each area is defo the way to go.

Now to the reason i looked on boards for Esker Hills today. It was because its winter again and our house is absolutely freezing. It doesnt hold heat at all, within about 30mins of the heating going off the place is freezing again. In the front hall on a really cold day/night you can see your breath as if if you were standing outside. I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issues. I'm beginning to think that the walls may not be insulated properly. We weren't here last year for the really bad weather as we were in Australia for the holidays so i can only imagine how cold it got.

I'm only starting to look into this so i dont know what is causing such heat loss. Whether its leaks around doors and windows or the insulation. I've had a good look in the attic and appart from one small space that had no insulation it was generally well done. Can anyone tell me if they know what the construction of the houses in Esker Hills is, cavity block, solid block with space, wooden frame etc. Also has anyone done any extra insulation work on their house. The type where it gets pumped into the spaces in the walls. Don't know if its possible to do it in the houses in Esker Hills.

Any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Kshocks

Hi Kshocks. Greetings from another Bluebell resident! I was very surprised to read your message about your house being so cold:eek: We actually find the opposite with ours most of the time and visitors tell me its far too warm! Now my other half could probably have a much more intelligent conversation with you about how the houses were built etc, but from an insulation point of view I know that he added more insulation to our attic before flooring it and everything up there is storing perfectly well.
    We have been living here for two and a half years and I must say I do like it - although I have never lived in an estate before so I find that a bit strange. I do agree with you that the small area committees are they way to go, which is why we had a Bluebell gathering during the summer, which a godd few Bluebell residents attended. We dropped a notice about it into all the houses and we met on the Green (in the days when you could put your nose outside the dorr without it being blown off you!) I am planning on doing a bit of daffodil planting on the Green over the next week or so if you are interested? We could get a couple of the residents out and its a great way to get to know each other. Let me know what you think.
    O - and welcome to the Forum:)

• Advertisement

Hi. Welcome to the boards.
    I presume you have bled the heaters? Are they cold at the top?
    Have you fully opened the summer winter valve in the hotpress?
    The heaters in our house were a lot warmer upstairs and the sitting room was the last to heat. Since we don't have zoned heating we turned down the temp on each of the upstairs rads to balance them out. Might help? you should also get your boiler serviced.
    The houses have Kingspan in the walls and fibreglass in the attic which I find to be pretty decent. Make sure to insulate the trap into the attic. Many times it is a big open hole to let the heat flow through.
    As

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kshocks

Hi Bicky and Shazanne

Thanks for the welcome, good to talk to fellow Esker Hillers. Cheers for the suggestions, someone else had also mentioned the attic trap and sealing it, apparently a plain blanket works quite well, gives a snug fit to the door and seals it and i must be think not to know about a winter/summer valve - i'll check that out. I think the rads are fine they seem to heat up well.

I have gone high tech on the issue and brought home an infra red camera from work, i've the heating on full blast for a couple of hours and am gonna see where the cold spots are. I've had a quick look and the main culprits seems to be window and door seals. Don't know why ours would be any different to anyone elses though. They probably aren't but we are losing serious heat somewhere. They are turning up very blue against everything else. I'll do the full house over the next couple of nights and report back.

Shazanne, let me know about the Daff planting in the coming week and if i need to purchase any bulbs or how you are handling that. If there's a committee set up for Bluebell Way and you are collecting funds and meetings i'll come along as i'd like to start getting involved.

On a night like this i would have the heating on for two or three hours and it still wont be too warm. Windows and doors are always going to be the culprits. Nothing to do about that unless the house has very expensive triple glazing. More insulation in the attic always helps because obviously heat rises. You can buy rolls of the space blanket insulation which is thin and easy to just lay over the current attic insulation. Places like b&q usually do 2 for 1 offers on these.
    It's impossie to keep houses like these ones from losing heat. Just the way it is. Passive houses are the way to go.
    I would love to do the thermal imaging thing on my house to see how it fares. Pretty cool.

Does anyone have any idea of what's going on with the now infamous shop in Esker Hills? It looked to be all systems go for a while and then - nothing!
    Are they still looking for a tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Shazanne wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea of what's going on with the now infamous shop in Esker Hills? It looked to be all systems go for a while and then - nothing!
    Are they still looking for a tenant?

Someone has it but they are slow getting a franchise on board, so I've no idea if it's going to be a Spar or Supervalue but it's going to be a shop, sometime, maybe...

*Sigh* :(

Will it ever feckin' open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

When I was walking into the estate last night there were a few guys in a white van outside it, looked like they were taking rubbish out of the "shop". I dont even live there anymore but Im still waiting for the bloody shop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

does anybody know who dumped the two bikes and christmas tree on the green on laurel drive? im sick to death of looking at them, to think someone would use a public green as a dump is quite honestly shocking

Admldj wrote: »
    does anybody know who dumped the two bikes and christmas tree on the green on laurel drive? im sick to death of looking at them, to think someone would use a public green as a dump is quite honestly shocking

Yeah I know DJ it's a feckin disgrace :mad: I'm going to take in the tree tonight myself and get rid of it. I've been saying it to the missus for weeks about the bikes too but don't ye know that as soon as I skip them somone will turn up at my door saying the bikes were theirs. But I'm sick of it so I've a sneaky feeling they might disappear too ;)

And I've a pretty good idea who the tree belongs too. The OH saw it beside their wheelie bin the other morning and either it wasn't collected so they tossed it on the green or else some kids dragged it to were it's currently lying. Either way I've a pain in my tits with it.

Sad to say the estate is looking very littered again these days :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

fair play to you adam ive been thinking of doing the same but didnt want the c#*t to get away with it! maybe send them an invoice for the disposal, i know what you mean about the estate though, maybe we could organise something like another cleanup but ultimately we just need people to start being responsible for their own mess, i mean dumping your crap on the green is just plain criminal.

Advertisement