Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how broke is broke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

when i say im broke, it depends on the context. if someone asks me to come out for a few drinks, and i can go, but wont drink, cos 'im broke', it means that yes, i do have a little money, but intend to keep it that way. i could drink, but if i do, im not gonna be able to be paying bills and rent this month, and fond as i am of drink, i also enjoy roof, walls and internet.

my other broke, which tahnkfully hasnt happened for almost 10months now, is the point where i had $6 to tide me over two weeks. ridiculous walks to work cos i was too broke to catch a bus, and then eating rice some of that porride i found in the back of the press for the rest of the fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,097 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Iang87 wrote: »
    my broke was when i had -€3.48 in my bank account the day i got payed, gonna do something do it right thats what i say. ah sure could be worse lads bein broke isn't the end of the world. Dying now thats much worse
    I know man... funerals aint cheap. Thanks for dying grandma :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Broke? Broke is sucking dicks for cheeseburgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am married so I am always broke, recession is just another word for a lot of men in marriages broke together!

I am loaded when I have a win on the horses cause the o/h does not expect a win but I am sure she can smell the money, like one of those dogs in the airport she does be sniffin around me!

I am a firm believer that money and sex are directly linked ie you have no money you have no sex....

So never say your broke, use my fav line, "all my money is tied up in the off shore account and I cant access it till monday. Want to put me up till then?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Kernel wrote: »
    Broke? Broke is sucking dicks for cheeseburgers.
    If was for directions, he was carrying cheeseburgers for an unrelated reason

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

how do people let themselves get so broke?i mean if i have X euro i will buy useful food that can be made into alot of dishes,pay my rent.do people not save or are they wasting it on crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

how do people let themselves get so broke?i mean if i have X euro i will buy useful food that can be made into alot of dishes,pay my rent.do people not save or are they wasting it on crap

I answered this one earlier ....its a combination of low wages, high standard of living and bad money management.

Personally I dont think I'm broke, I'm in debt but it doesnt bother me as long as I can put money into the bank account before its taken out - I'm happy..... yes that means selling something that I have owned for a while in order to fund it - no problem.

Keep smiling :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Ste.phen wrote: »
    If was for directions, he was carrying cheeseburgers for an unrelated reason

Perhaps he was referring to Randy / Smokey.
    That boy could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

What if after spending X amount, Y amount didn't come along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

What if after spending X amount, Y amount didn't come along?

I think asking that question shows that you miss the order in which you should spend money.

I believe many people saw their parents buy necessities on credit during bad times that when they were older and times were good they bought luxuries in the same manner thinking it normal.

Personally I have money in the bank to last a year but act broke in order not to end up broke.

• Advertisement

Kipperhell wrote: »
    I think asking that question shows that you miss the order in which you should spend money.

I believe many people saw their parents buy necessities on credit during bad times that when they were older and times were good they bought luxuries in the same manner thinking it normal.

Personally I have money in the bank to last a year but act broke in order not to end up broke.

Strange conclusion to reach.
    I never mentioned any unnecessary spending or buying on credit.

My point is that it's arrogant for some posters to assume that people are broke
    simply because they lack good money management skills.

Unless you're going to become a homeless shoplifter with no dependents,
    then unfortunately there are weekly expenses which are unavoidable to most.
    Rent, utilities, food, etc.

You can be classified as being broke.
    If, after spending what little money you had on these essentials, you have no money left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭lau1247

broke for me is when I need money to get absolute bare minimum food.

I have a habit of not liking to use money i don't have.. in a sense i'd never really owe anything.. like overdraft/loans etc.

whenever i go out.. anytime before i open my wallet i ask myself is this necessary and will I "die" if i don't have it?

that pretty much sums up the guideline i use

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

im so broke my broadband connection is about to be cu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I answered this one earlier ....its a combination of low wages, high standard of living and bad money management.

Personally I dont think I'm broke, I'm in debt but it doesnt bother me as long as I can put money into the bank account before its taken out - I'm happy..... yes that means selling something that I have owned for a while in order to fund it - no problem.

Keep smiling :):):)

I don't think I would use the phrase keep smiling if the debtors came knocking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Iang87 wrote: »
    my broke was when i had -€3.48 in my bank account the day i got payed, gonna do something do it right thats what i say. ah sure could be worse lads bein broke isn't the end of the world. Dying now thats much worse

I would love to have -€3.48 in my A/C.Mine sits at -€520:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Believe it or not, some of us don't make much money to start with. At the minute I only have about 150e/month 'spare' after rent, bills, food and transport. And that money should really be paying off my student loan, leaving me with nothing. I'm very responsible, I don't use my credit card or go into my overdraft, try to only spend what I have. At least I'm trying to work instead of leeching off my parents or the dole. I hopefully should be earning more in the next few weeks, but right now I'm broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I was speaking with a friend last night and we were both complaining about steven

Who? :confused:
    Is that some sort of code?

Was raised on page 1 but never answered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Piste wrote: »
    Oooh laaa-di-daahh Mr. I-can-use-kitchen-paper-as-toilet-paper.

You're only really broke when you end up using take-away menus and those stickers you put on bags of clothes outside your house for "charities" as toilet paper.

Bet you have a solid gold toilet too.

Ms I-can-use-kitchen-paper-as-toilet-paper if ye don't mind ;)

And yes, I did have a solid gold toilet, but had to sell it to feed my expensive quilted toilet roll habit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

galwayrush wrote: »
    One of my clients went bust and did me out of 12K but his company closed owing 21 Million:eek:, now that's seriously broke.:rolleyes:

not at all, the joys of limited liability! screwing creditors out of money since incorporation:D

skydiving. i haemmorage money even typing the word:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

right now i have 9 euro in my account so i am more broke than your 'broke' friend

however she might have 5 kids to feed and a mortgage to pay, i dont so its all relative.

unless you need to borrow for necessities your not really broke imo

narwog81 wrote: »
    skydiving. i haemmorage money even typing the word:eek:

haha me too. even though i only have 9 euro to my name last night i was very close to buying a brand new container last night the amount they have reduced in price is crazy :confused: im practically losing money by not buying it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I'm grand really atm but when my account reaches around 150 for two weeks thats when it gets a bit iffy in terms of spending. I've 1400 in my account now, happy days :D

PeakOutput wrote: »
    haha me too. even though i only have 9 euro to my name last night i was very close to buying a brand new container last night the amount they have reduced in price is crazy :confused:

with the price of sterling and dollar to the euro we cant lose, just bought a new rig myself €3200 all in
    PeakOutput wrote: »
    im practically losing money by not buying it ;)

yeah keep telling yourself that, hats how you ended up with 9e in your account:D

worth it though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I'm grand really atm but when my account reaches around 150 for two weeks thats when it gets a bit iffy in terms of spending. I've 1400 in my account now, happy days :D

gtfo :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

I dont even open my letters from the bank,
    Havnt made a loan repayment for 2 months

narwog81 wrote: »
    with the price of sterling and dollar to the euro we cant lose, just bought a new rig myself €3200 all in

from were consisting of what? pm me if its hijacking the thread too much

i could afford everything right now i suppose without an aad but i defo cant afford a bran new aad and they are hard to find second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

PCPhoto wrote: »
    why does the middleclass person have to be a "Snob"

They dont.

I could have used upperclass, royal, french - i didnt.

Get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I dont even open my letters from the bank,
    Havnt made a loan repayment for 2 months

You can't ignore those letters forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Saibh wrote: »
    You can't ignore those letters forever.

He can.

eventually they will stop being delivered.. when his house is reposessed

Advertisement