Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how broke is broke?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

sceptre wrote: »
    "Stephen" is the new name for what used to be the r-word.

When did that happen?
    Jeez, I can't keep up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

broke is not eating for 4 days, being in a good job and putting every 10/20 cent you find into a jar until you can put 4-5 euro of diesel in your car to get to work the next day because your owed 2 grand by three absoloute prícks who are eating food and living comfortably and claiming they cant pay you , while your hungry, and incurring intrest on the 300 euro over your overdraft you are and having the esb/bord gais sending 'failure to pay' notices to your gaf.

i cant wait till may 1st when its over :( and as soon as i can afford a tank of diesel im visiting two of those pricks, the third is my housemate who has dissapeared off the face of the earth for the last 6 days, but ill deal with him later

Dude that's not broke. Thats just needing a credit card.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Beruthiel wrote: »
    When did that happen?
    Jeez, I can't keep up.

You kinda had to be there. People were talking too much about the recession.
    It started out "The recession sucks."
    "you suck"
    "threads about the recession suck."
    Now Stephen just sucks and everyone's happy.
    So a rose by any other name would probably not smell as sweet is the bulletpoint of this particular lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

broke is not eating for 4 days, being in a good job and putting every 10/20 cent you find into a jar until you can put 4-5 euro of diesel in your car to get to work the next day because your owed 2 grand by three absoloute prícks who are eating food and living comfortably and claiming they cant pay you , while your hungry, and incurring intrest on the 300 euro over your overdraft you are and having the esb/bord gais sending 'failure to pay' notices to your gaf.

i cant wait till may 1st when its over :( and as soon as i can afford a tank of diesel im visiting two of those pricks, the third is my housemate who has dissapeared off the face of the earth for the last 6 days, but ill deal with him later

cant you phone the guys and tell them you need the money ? I think the flatmate may be avoiding you and you'll come home someday and he'll have cleared out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Being broke is relative.

A celtic tiger middleclass snob thats just lost everything will look at €204 as being broke

A homeless dude that has just discovered a freshly disposed of nappy with a nice warm meal in it will think hes hit the lotto.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    Being broke is relative.

A celtic tiger middleclass snob thats just lost everything will look at €204 as being broke

A homeless dude that has just discovered a freshly disposed of nappy with a nice warm meal in it will think hes hit the lotto.

eeeewww .... durty nappy !!!

seriously could you have found a better example - like a mouldy piece of food in a bin....or an apple core.

snyper wrote: »
    Being broke is relative.

why does the middleclass person have to be a "Snob"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

don't mind him, he's just a working class type with an inferiority complex!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irisheddie

being broke is when u fight that homless bloke for that nappy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

When you've been on the dole since January getting 204.30 per week and your mortgage is 172 euro per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

PCPhoto wrote: »
    cant you phone the guys and tell them you need the money ? I think the flatmate may be avoiding you and you'll come home someday and he'll have cleared out.

youd be surprised how 'busy' they are whenever they find out its someone they owe money to on the phone, and yeah thats what im thinking may happen, i go home every day and look just incase stuffs missing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

youd be surprised how 'busy' they are whenever they find out its someone they owe money to on the phone, and yeah thats what im thinking may happen, i go home every day and look just incase stuffs missing
    Can you not just pawn his stuff? Or at least keep it "safe" as collateral?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

One of my clients went bust and did me out of 12K but his company closed owing 21 Million:eek:, now that's seriously broke.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Being broke isn't bad. Right now I'd be happy to be broke. I'm just crippled with debt. Bank overdraft and credit card bill that I'll be lucky to be ably to pay off in the next 2 years :rolleyes:

I'm just waiting for the call from this new National Asset Management Agency to sort me out :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Seriously man, you need to get 1 x snooker ball and 1 x sock.

Then show them who's the daddy!!

NSFW example :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

how broke is broke is when you quite literally have no money to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

when I have less than a tenner in my bank account, which would be right now, I have about a euro in there. and about a euro in my purse. broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

If it's more than a week till payday, and I don't have enough money for a few pints on either Friday or Saturday night, then I consider myself broke.

Doesn't happen though. I'm lucky enough to still have a job in these times, and I'm very good at budgeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

when I have less than a tenner in my bank account, which would be right now, I have about a euro in there. and about a euro in my purse. broke!

that is broke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

when i was a teenager and it was just me and my mum, i used to have to sneak out into nearby fields and steal spuds so we'd have something to eat for dinner.

a couple of times in my past i've had to scour the place for spare change, inc. digging around in sofa's etc. and have gone shopping for 3 days worth of food for 2 people (was waiting for payday) with less than £2 in my pocket.

we went "blue and white stripy" in tesco on everything and only the cheapest of the cheap at that.

another time we were dead broke with not a bit of food in the cupboards and we had a cabbage stir fry for dinner, with nothing but half a cabbage and some seasoning in it.

payday always seems to be that tiny bit far away. not had anything like that for a long time now though, got myself a much better missus now that's good with money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i was going to say "broke" is having nowt at all.

but then i rememberd my mate from work who owes about 12k on his credit card so thats a whole new world of fecking nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

My broke point was when I had 1.56 euros in my bank account, and wasn't payed until four days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

ha at least you all have the "until payday"....

thats not an option for myself. Not one penny to my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Broke means you can't go to the doctor or dentist without careful financial planning. Not that anyone would want to visit either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

ncmc wrote: »
    You're down to your last €1.86 and you spent it on kitchen paper? Prioritise!!!

Unless you are using it as toilet paper, in which case that's ok.:eek:

Oooh laaa-di-daahh Mr. I-can-use-kitchen-paper-as-toilet-paper.

You're only really broke when you end up using take-away menus and those stickers you put on bags of clothes outside your house for "charities" as toilet paper.

Bet you have a solid gold toilet too.

It's ridiculous, broke used to mean having 0 money, but now we've gone all 21st century and broke is actually having minus moneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Broke is sleeping on a friend's couch, and walking two hours to work because the bus money is your food money :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You know things are broke when Jay Leno drives himself to ER skipping the paramedics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

I know this is pathetic at my age but im never broke, when i spend my wages i have a backup - my parents. Duno what id do if i had to actaully live on my crappy wages. so broke 4 me is when the folks say no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

my broke was when i had -€3.48 in my bank account the day i got payed, gonna do something do it right thats what i say. ah sure could be worse lads bein broke isn't the end of the world. Dying now thats much worse

Advertisement