Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's been 11 months since the last proposal for a Mary I forum was rejected. Might be worth starting a new campaign soon. I'll probably be lurking around the place for one more year after all! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Might be worth starting a new campaign soon.

+1

It's getting quite messy in here, like 10 people in a room all talking at once. It's quite cosy though!

Agus go n-éirí leat le do MA Insect :).

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

It's been 11 months since the last proposal for a Mary I forum was rejected. Might be worth starting a new campaign soon. I'll probably be lurking around the place for one more year after all! :)

As this page loaded I just about to say I might go to an admin about getting the forum reconsidered, this is getting totally ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

Wow ye're all so helpful! :eek: Thanks so much! :D

LL92 wrote: »
    Wow ye're all so helpful! :eek: Thanks so much! :D

Make sure to hang around now, don't be one of those people who gets their answer and never posts again! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Make sure to hang around now, don't be one of those people who gets their answer and never posts again! :D

Never! :eek::p Are you a student?

Never! :eek::p Are you a student?

I was a student. Finished the B.Ed this year :) I'll be around the college now and then though, seeing as Insect Poetlord has gotten his masters course thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've been given a compassionate reassurance, it's not the same as being told I've got it! >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Congrats on the "compassionate reassurance" at least IO! Good to hear you'll still be showing up on occasion, D4RK! A Costello's night or two must be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Congrats on the "compassionate reassurance" at least IO! Good to hear you'll still be showing up on occasion, D4RK! A Costello's night or two must be done!

Will any of the boardsies be around next Wednesday night. I'm thinking of "gatecrashing" the orientation gig whereever it is on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

Hey, quick query. I'm starting the BA course this year but I haven't received any info from the college. Should I not have got some forms to fill in and some info on orientation etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Hey, as I have mentioned before, I plan on doing Liberal Arts. The career I have in mind is to become a secondary school teacher. Has anyone done this through Arts in Mary I before? Could anyone give me advice/info about the h.dip please? :)
    Finally, just wondering what subjects to do in first year. I know I want to do Irish, Maths and French, but don't know what to pick as a fourth subject. It can be anything- I won't be keeping it up after 1st year anyway, preferably something easy. :p

I would advise you to be careful what you pick as your fourth subject. It can't really be anything as you say, you will be doing it for a year and you still have to perform well enough to pass. There are no subjects that are easy, they all have their own challenges. It is important that you like the subject too, as there is nothing worse than doing a subject you hate for an entire year. You might also be surprised as to which subjects you end up dropping after first year. I entered Mary I intent on doing English and Media Studies. In first year I also took up Geography and Philosophy as the so called "easy" subjects. The reality however turned out to be much different to my expectations. I HATED Media Studies but I loved Philosophy. Geography turned out to be a lot more work than I expected. I ended up keeping on English and Philosophy. I'm now in the final year of my PhD in English.

I'd advise you to check out the first few lectures of whatever subject interests you before you make your final decision. There is also a day in orientation week where you can meet a representative from the various departments to discuss the subject and ask whatever questions you might have. I did that for the English Department last year (I'm a tutor).

Anyway welcome to Mary I - make the most of it and above all ENJOY it.

Also - for any incoming students, orientation is important, especilly with the opening of the new building. You will need to know where all your lectures are taking place after all hehe. Also make sure to find information alley (near the canteen), as this is where any news relating to your various subjects will be posted, especially the location of tutorials which start in Week 3. Booklists+exam results are also posted here. Of course with the opening of the new building this could all change and I might be as lost as everyone else :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

sugajay wrote: »
    Hey, quick query. I'm starting the BA course this year but I haven't received any info from the college. Should I not have got some forms to fill in and some info on orientation etc?

When I started here two years ago I think it took a week or more for the info to be sent out, so I wouldn't worry just yet. The MISU might know whent they're sending out the letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

Oh right, cheers! Was starting to panic that they had forgotten about me! :)

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

sugajay wrote: »

Hi sugajay, it' the MISU Office here - we're the Mary I Students' Union. You'll know us well by the end of Orientation Week!

The college have been packing the envelopes all this week for those who have accepted their offer, so you should receive it in the post tomorrow or Monday.

lighthouse wrote: »
    Will any of the boardsies be around next Wednesday night. I'm thinking of "gatecrashing" the orientation gig whereever it is on :D

Yup, myself and Ciarraioch will be around anyway!

I should be able to make myself available too :)

I may be in Dublin :( I'll catch ye at some point anyway.

I'll be in Dublin too, at Guns N Roses.

RonMexico wrote: »
    I'll be in Dublin too, at Guns N Roses.

You mean Axel Rose and friends? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 flanagan2k10

RonMexico wrote: »
    I would advise you to be careful what you pick as your fourth subject. It can't really be anything as you say, you will be doing it for a year and you still have to perform well enough to pass. There are no subjects that are easy, they all have their own challenges. It is important that you like the subject too, as there is nothing worse than doing a subject you hate for an entire year. You might also be surprised as to which subjects you end up dropping after first year. I entered Mary I intent on doing English and Media Studies. In first year I also took up Geography and Philosophy as the so called "easy" subjects. The reality however turned out to be much different to my expectations. I HATED Media Studies but I loved Philosophy. Geography turned out to be a lot more work than I expected. I ended up keeping on English and Philosophy. I'm now in the final year of my PhD in English.

I'd advise you to check out the first few lectures of whatever subject interests you before you make your final decision. There is also a day in orientation week where you can meet a representative from the various departments to discuss the subject and ask whatever questions you might have. I did that for the English Department last year (I'm a tutor).

Anyway welcome to Mary I - make the most of it and above all ENJOY it.

Also - for any incoming students, orientation is important, especilly with the opening of the new building. You will need to know where all your lectures are taking place after all hehe. Also make sure to find information alley (near the canteen), as this is where any news relating to your various subjects will be posted, especially the location of tutorials which start in Week 3. Booklists+exam results are also posted here. Of course with the opening of the new building this could all change and I might be as lost as everyone else :)

I have been to two or three open days where ive gone around the campus and met with the department heads and asked any questions i need answered , so will missing the orientation have that much effect on me if i have a fair idea of the subjects and the campus etc. ?

I have been to two or three open days where ive gone around the campus and met with the department heads and asked any questions i need answered , so will missing the orientation have that much effect on me if i have a fair idea of the subjects and the campus etc. ?

Probably not but I would still try and go just to meet people, you would be surprised at how quick everyone gets to know each other. There might be things in orientation week that you don't know about already, I can't remember everything that goes on myself, my orientation is a distant blur hehe.

Hi guys,

It's great that everyone wants to come in for orientation but the "social events", as they are described on the schedule, are organised for incoming first years only so they can make friends with fellow first years in the particular atmosphere that comes with Orientation week, while the Exec. will be the people "staffing" the social events.

It's great that there's so much interest though! Good to see the community feel in Mary I continues on.

buzz_killington-191x300.jpg

:P Ah no, that's fair enough. Maybe I could pass as a first year if I shaved >_>

buzz_killington-191x300.jpg

:P Ah no, that's fair enough. Maybe I could pass as a first year if I shaved >_>

:) Cheers for the award Dark Onion, will hang it in the Office!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mojorex

Hi do the B.Ed 1st year students have to come in on both days of the orientation thing?
    I was just wondering because at the top of the second day it says mature students only? Thanks

mojorex wrote: »
    Hi do the B.Ed 1st year students have to come in on both days of the orientation thing?
    I was just wondering because at the top of the second day it says mature students only? Thanks

Hi mojorex, it's the Mary I Students' Union here.

You do have to come in for both days. I can see how you would mix it up but it means that only the Mature Students need attend the talk between 10am and 11am. So, unless you're a mature student, you don't need to be in until 11am on Wednesday. You can have a little bit of a sleep in for yourself!

See you Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mojorex

Sound Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 xxcocochanelxx

Just a quick Question for MISU..I havent paid my fees yet cos i was away all last week and was going to wait til the day of registration on tuesday. They mentioned something about a collection box i duno! Will this affect my place i have secured for the B.Ed??

and also when can we move in to city campish?? :)

• Advertisement

You mean Axel Rose and friends? :P

And you mean AXL Rose... It's an anagram of "oral sex!"

Advertisement