Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Congrats to all the incoming freshers! Looking forward to being an orientation guide next week. May as well start the sessioning a week early! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Good luck with that. I had a ball last year. Might even turn up some night myself with my trusty camera :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Congrats to all the incoming freshers! Looking forward to being an orientation guide next week. May as well start the sessioning a week early! :)

Hey, I can't make the first day of orientation for the principal, vice principal, dean of arts, etc., talking. Is that very important? I will be there the next day for enrolment, though. Also, do you know when our lectures are starting, when we have to be there, settled in for? Or when everyone else is going? Last question, :p do you know when is Courtbrack open to students to live? :D Thank you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

LL92 wrote: »
    Hey, I can't make the first day of orientation for the principal, vice principal, dean of arts, etc., talking. Is that very important?
    It'll make things more complicated, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I know people who missed all of orientation, they had to go to Student Services to register. Are you doing the BA/B.Ed/ECCE/B.Ed Psych? It'd be preferable if you didn't miss the first day but you won't be the only to miss it I'm sure. You should probably contact student services/admissions office.
    Also, do you know when our lectures are starting, when we have to be there, settled in for?
    Lectures start Monday the 6th.
    Last question, :p do you know when is Courtbrack open to students to live? :D Thank you!

It should be open to you Orientation Week AFAIK.

Well done on getting in btw!

EDIT: In case you haven't gotten the letter (it took a week for mine to arrive) or you haven't been on the website, all orientation info is here.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

When is freshers week? I'm so gate crashing that party :P

• Advertisement

It's the week starting the 6th, after orientation week next week. Daw like:p

dambarude wrote: »
    It's the week starting the 6th, after orientation week next week. Daw like:p

Hey now! We QUALIFIED teachers don't have to time to worry about such things!

(us unemployed ones do though :P)

Hmmmmmm... to be an unemployed teacher or to have the excuse of being a student....

I'm a student of life Rb, hush now :P

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi LL92,

MISU Office are the official Mary I Students' Union posters on boards.ie and would like to welcome you to MIC!

In relation to your queries, obviously it would be ideal if you could make it to those talks but if you can't make it, you can't make it so don't worry about it. As long as you make it to enrol, everything else will fall into place. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to pop into our office in the new TARA building or just post on boards and we will be glad to help you out - that’s what we are here for! :)

As you know, Orientation starts on August 31st for the relevant students and lectures begin for all, the following Monday September 6th. So it’s up to yourself when is best for you to move in. Courtbrack, like other student accommodation is usually open before this, so students can settle in. It might be no harm though for you to let them know when you are planning on coming down so they know when to expect you.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and see you next week!

MISU Office

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I'm a student of life Rb, hush now :P

I think I'm in the same boat as you D4RK. I'm so jealous of these new first years just starting all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 flanagan2k10

i missed arts in mary 1 by 5 points what are the chances il get it second round next week?

Are you doing the BA/B.Ed/ECCE/B.Ed Psych?

Liberal Arts. I'll definately be there for registration so I should be fine. :)

Thanks for everyone's help!
    Looking forward to moving down and hopefully i'll meet ye all! :D

RibenaHead wrote: »

im going to miss orientation because im waiting on a second round offer .. what will i do ?

Sorry again, registration is the 2nd, right?

i was told the 31st thats why im worried il miss it waiting for the second round offers

LL92 - since you are doing Liberal Arts, you will be in on Sept. 1st for all the talks while registration itself, plus a few more talks, takes place on Sept. 2nd.

flanagan2k10 - We can't give you any assurances on whether you'll get a second round offer as the college does not release that kind of information. However, if you are offered a place and you miss orientation, don't worry! We can tell you all you need to know here in the SU about the college but you will HAVE TO register yourself in Student Services the first day you come in for classes, which would be Sept. 6th, so don't worry too much about it!

All schedules are here - http://www.misu.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1128&Itemid=313

@Flanagan2k10 I'm not sure what the deal is, but you could ring the college at 061204300 and ask to be put through to Student Services. They should be able to tell you!

As for orientation itself:
    In relation to your queries, obviously it would be ideal if you could make it to those talks but if you can't make it, you can't make it so don't worry about it. As long as you make it to enrol, everything else will fall into place. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to pop into our office in the new TARA building or just post on boards and we will be glad to help you out - that’s what we are here for! :)

As for your site catering only for IE users, er...
    50a62.jpg

D4RK, I had a look at statistics for my own site WTL regarding what kind of browsers recent visitors are using and this is what I got:
    browsers.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 parabola_89

im going to miss orientation because im waiting on a second round offer .. what will i do ?

I needn't worry too much about this! Mary I isn't the type of college where you get lost easily (compared to places like UCC - where there are multiple campuses - it's TINY!). Myself and dambarude only had a day and a half worth of orientation, whereas others had the full week. You'll pick up the layout of the place in no time! :) And if you're stuck, there's always someone around to ask. I pestered the Head of Drama a good few times because I was lost, but he was more than happy to help! :D As for getting to know people, after two or three weeks you won't be able to walk through the college without seeing someone you know! :cool:

The only thing I'd really worry about missing would be the chance to sit in on the opening lectures for the various Arts subjects but, when you think about it again, you could probably base your choices on your Leaving Cert. subjects. For example, French and German are ruled out unless you have a grasp of them. Same thing goes for Maths. Nearly everyone picks Irish because a large part of the Arts students want to enter the Post-Grad Primary Teaching. History and Geography are extensions of what you would have studied for the Leaving. Then there's only the ones like Psychology, Philosophy Leann Duchais and Theology that you have no experience of. A lot of First Years try them but then the only ones that keep them on are those that are good at them and think they'll result in a good QCA, or those that wish to work in the areas. Even as it is, Leann Duchias (which is basically Irish heritage and cultural studies) is only a one year course that you can't keep on past First Year. Bear in mind, you'll only have to keep two subjects on in Second Year so if it comes to it, and you just take a stab at some subjects but find you don't like some of them, you'll only have to do them for a year! :D

Apologies for the mini-essay. I found it hard to condense it down! :D

@dambarude Thanks! Think I'm fairly sorted by now. They're taking the essay we did during the semester on memory into account as well so should be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got good news! \o/

@dambarude Thanks! Think I'm fairly sorted by now. They're taking the essay we did during the semester on memory into account as well so should be grand!

Ha ha! Do you know who I am parabola? I'm about 99% sure I know you are, but I won't say it here!

Glad to hear that you got on OK with the repeat.

On another note, this place is very busy today! I think we'll have apply for forum status again:D

Ha ha! Do you know who I am parabola? I'm about 99% sure I know you are, but I won't say it here!

I can't say EXACTLY who it is! Think I've it down to one of two options. Not sure which one it is though! I'm fairly identifiable if you know me though. Seem to find myself in the same predicament every summer due to my useless immune system! :D

is there enrolment for those who accept a second round place on sept 2nd?

The Orientation Schedules for all First Years are up on the Mary I website. Click Prospective Students then Orientation 2010. All you need then is to view your relevant course. Obviously, if you haven't had a second round offer by the 2nd (the date on the schedules for BAs), or haven't accepted it, then you won't be enrolling on that date. It's not stated whether this is for first or second round offers but, as the end date for acceptance of first round offers is only the 30th of August, it's fairly safe to assume the majority (if not all) will be first round offers.

However, I will say this. It isn't the first time the college will have had to deal with students coming in on second round offers. Just because you might have accepted an offer later than others doesn't exclude you from enrolling. It might just mean it happens a few days later. As I said above, there's no need to worry about it until you get the letter from the CAO! :D

I think it was said above to ring Student Services and enquire if need further clarification. From experience, I deal with the staff there fairly regularly regarding scholarship forms and stuff and you couldn't find more helpful people! :cool: More than likely, they deal with questions such as your's every year so a quick call will be more than beneficial.

You'll be able to register no problem in Student Services, but you'll miss all of the orientation events (the welcome from the president, tours etc.). They won't be holding those again. But as the MISU Office said they'll be able to tell you everythin you need to know.
    I can't say EXACTLY who it is! Think I've it down to one of two options. Not sure which one it is though! I'm fairly identifiable if you know me though. Seem to find myself in the same predicament every summer due to my useless immune system! :D

I'll leave you guessing so:p. When I saw your first post in this sticky I thought you were somebody else, but I know now that you're not that person. The posts you made about a certain type of car gave it away pretty quickly!

EDIT: that was my 700th post! I really need to get back to college, I've WAY too much spare time!

Hey, as I have mentioned before, I plan on doing Liberal Arts. The career I have in mind is to become a secondary school teacher. Has anyone done this through Arts in Mary I before? Could anyone give me advice/info about the h.dip please? :)
    Finally, just wondering what subjects to do in first year. I know I want to do Irish, Maths and French, but don't know what to pick as a fourth subject. It can be anything- I won't be keeping it up after 1st year anyway, preferably something easy. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Hey, as I have mentioned before, I plan on doing Liberal Arts. The career I have in mind is to become a secondary school teacher. Has anyone done this through Arts in Mary I before? Could anyone give me advice/info about the h.dip please? :)
    Finally, just wondering what subjects to do in first year. I know I want to do Irish, Maths and French, but don't know what to pick as a fourth subject. It can be anything- I won't be keeping it up after 1st year anyway, preferably something easy. :p
    You could try history, if you do it in first year then you are allowed to teach it at secondary level up to junior cert level so it's handy that way.

The BA in Mary I is on the Teaching Council list of recognised degrees for secondary teaching so you shouldn't have any problem there. You can see that list here. Choosing the relevant subjects could allow you to teach two of Irish, English, French, German,Geography, Music, History,Religious Education & Mathematics. The H. Dip isn't officially called the H. Dip anymore, it's called the PGDE (Postgraduate Diploma in Ed.). Regarding easy subjects, I wouldn't do Geography, it seems to involve an awful lot of work. Religion and Theology is meant to be interesting.
    You could try history, if you do it in first year then you are allowed to teach it at secondary level up to junior cert level so it's handy that way.
    You'll only *officially* be allowed to teach the two subjects you take to degree level. A principal might allow you teach a subject once you have a job though.

You've got very good subject choices with French, Irish and Maths LL92, compared to other second level subjects those subjects have a reasonably good demand. Irish in particular. The Teaching & Lecturing Forum might have more info on the PGDE, I don't know much more than what I've said unfortunately!

• Advertisement

Finally, just wondering what subjects to do in first year. I know I want to do Irish, Maths and French, but don't know what to pick as a fourth subject. It can be anything- I won't be keeping it up after 1st year anyway, preferably something easy.

The important thing to remember when picking subjects is that just because one student thinks it's easy, doesn't mean you'll find it easy. That goes for the workload aspect too, you might not find it as strenuous as another student. We all here can give you so much advice but you must be happy with your choice.

In relation to the H.Dip, to use its old name, you will get classes which will explain it to you a lot more while in Mary I.

The basics though, as has been pointed out, the two subjects you bring to degree level are the ones you will be able to teach to Higher Level Leaving Cert. The two other subjects you do in first year you will be able to teach to Junior Cert Level. Although, you may be given up to Ordinary Level Leaving Certs, depends on the school's circumstances.

And yes, wouldn't it be great to have a Mary I thread of its own! It would be easier for newcomers to find. We'll be promoting it a lot more this year. The inside cover of the new Student Diary has a cool bit about boards, along with Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, so more students will be aware of this when term begins!

Advertisement