Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Apparently €40m saved via retendering process.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40063922.html

See what I mean re: pricing. The main construction works contract here is not going to cost €215m

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A year wasted for what? Nothing it seems!
    I wouldn't say entirely wasted. There has been a lot of advance works ongoing in the last year especially the gas and water main diversions, and some very visible works like the N8E -> M8N slip road, and the local road works near the Ibis hotel.

This is an extraordinarily complex project and I think this point doesn't get reinforced enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Eleven and a half years from thread start to a contract being signed. Good lord.

Looking forward to seeing this developing over the next few years.... I come through twice daily so it'll be very interesting.

Eleven and a half years from thread start to a contract being signed. Good lord.

Looking forward to seeing this developing over the next few years.... I come through twice daily so it'll be very interesting.

That's actually good by modern standards. The M28 thread turns 16 in January and contract signing is at least 3 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

A € 40 million saving to the exchequer by the re-tendering process, that is great. I have to admire the forgive and forget mentality here by officialdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

marno21 wrote: »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40063922.html

See what I mean re: pricing. The main construction works contract here is not going to cost €215m

How much did economy lost because of the delays?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The project couldn't have started in the last year as the enabling works are still ongoing, no time lost but the €40n has been saved. Some people just don't want to hear good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Your inclusion of the word "apparently" made me smile. It is indeed a great achievement if they have actually saved €40m and even better that this was achieved without causing any substantial delays. You'd have to be pretty sure though that like was being compared with like when the old and new costs were compared, and that this isn't just some book keeping exercise to deflect from the criticism that would have resulted if there wasn't a significant saving.

Anyway let's look on the bright side, the project is proceeding at long last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

That's actually good by modern standards. The M28 thread turns 16 in January and contract signing is at least 3 years away.

Not to mention the N20/M20 which has been under discussion in one form or another since the completion of Phase 2 of the Cork/Mallow road in 1994. And is still a long way from opening. That one could yet reach 35+ years.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Your inclusion of the word "apparently" made me smile. It is indeed a great achievement if they have actually saved €40m and even better that this was achieved without causing any substantial delays. You'd have to be pretty sure though that like was being compared with like when the old and new costs were compared, and that this isn't just some book keeping exercise to deflect from the criticism that would have resulted if there wasn't a significant saving.

Anyway let's look on the bright side, the project is proceeding at long last.

Indeed. I used the word apparently because it’s from a newspaper article rather than me first hand examining data. Given the commercial nature of this stuff too it’s likely that’ll be as much as we see.

To your second point; absolutely! Another project ticked off the list. First major road project approved by the Green coalition too which is welcome.

Next up now will be the N5 in early 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's possible to reduce cost by completing phases of work, through eliminating risks. In some of our projects, we eliminate risks as the project advances and possible negative outcomes don't materialise. If we have to give a fixed fee at the outset of a big project then we need to price to cover ourselves.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it is at least been possible in my work.

The original tender was basically ballpark bids followed by negotiations with one contractor. As there was no competition, there was no incentive for that contractor to price realistically, in fact it was in their interest to inflate the price at that stage as the contracting authority had to accept or cancel the entire process and start again. That single contractor was already working there and was armed with lots of information on ground conditions, etc. on which to justify their inflating of the price. Sisk only had to thread the line of pushing up the price as much as possible without going ridiculous, they failed.

It is no surprise that a proper competitive tender process saw much lower bids. It get the job, Sisk had to price realistically and even find ways to reduce costs. I've said it since details of how the previous negotiations were going that a competitive tender would see a much reduced price.

I think it is also worth noting that the previous tender process (a single party negotiation with a contractor already working on the site) would have been likely to attract legal challenges from other contractors so awarding then could easily have resulted in big delays also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The original tender was basically ballpark bids followed by negotiations with one contractor. As there was no competition, there was no incentive for that contractor to price realistically, in fact it was in their interest to inflate the price at that stage as the contracting authority had to accept or cancel the entire process and start again. That single contractor was already working there and was armed with lots of information on ground conditions, etc. on which to justify their inflating of the price. Sisk only had to thread the line of pushing up the price as much as possible without going ridiculous, they failed.

It is no surprise that a proper competitive tender process saw much lower bids. It get the job, Sisk had to price realistically and even find ways to reduce costs. I've said it since details of how the previous negotiations were going that a competitive tender would see a much reduced price.

I think it is also worth noting that the previous tender process (a single party negotiation with a contractor already working on the site) would have been likely to attract legal challenges from other contractors so awarding then could easily have resulted in big delays also.

It is reported that Bam were chasing this also, is there a concern here of a legal challenge by them at this stage ?

kub wrote: »
    It is reported that Bam were chasing this also, is there a concern here of a legal challenge by them at this stage ?

Possible but this time they used the standard process which has been used to tender just about every government funded project for the last decade, they would need to have a strong case to get a challenge heard. The previous one was a contract which I don't believe has been used in this country before.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

We were looking at potentially buying Ballinderry house at the junction of the M8 and Richmond L2998. It’s entrance is off a quiet cul de sac but there is talk of that cul de sac being changed into a fly off for the m8 which would have that traffic going right passed the front gate. Does anyone know if that is indeed happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭cantalach

monkey8 wrote: »
    We were looking at potentially buying Ballinderry house at the junction of the M8 and Richmond L2998. It’s entrance is off a quiet cul de sac but there is talk of that cul de sac being changed into a fly off for the m8 which would have that traffic going right passed the front gate. Does anyone know if that is indeed happening?

There is a new entrance onto the M8 for vehicles coming from the city at that location. It is the top-right flow in this drawing:

https://www.dunkettle.ie/media/1337/traffic-movements_from-n8.jpg

Note however that this work has already been built (though not yet opened) under an advanced works contract. In other words, if you visit the property today you’re seeing it as it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

monkey8 wrote: »

There’s a cycle path which will be utilising the cul de sac by that house. The cycle path will open with this scheme.

cantalach wrote: »
    if you visit the property today you’re seeing it as it will be.

This.
    The works there are basically complete, though the cycleway is not yet open for use.

Fill material now being stockpiled at the Upjohn/Pfizer premises at Little Island:

Aerial view of N8E -> M8N link and future N8E -> Little Island link

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Fill material now being stockpiled at the Upjohn/Pfizer premises at Little Island:

Aerial view of N8E -> M8N link and future N8E -> Little Island link

Is that new road to be bored out under the M8 heading east-west?

• Advertisement

paddyref wrote: »
    Is that new road to be bored out under the M8 heading east-west?
    The M8 itself is to be shifted to the east to allow for the new interchange alignment.

The M8 itself is to be shifted to the east to allow for the new interchange alignment.

It is to be "bored out" also Marno. It's the direct East-West routing towards Glounthaune.
    In reality, I suspect a cut-and-cover with a precast bridge-box or something.

This is the one that I keep harping on about being a good routing for pedestrians/cyclists. Under the furthest-left slip road, then parallel with the new slip that will be "bored out". The drone follows part-way up the new cycleway. Cycleway then continues West for a bit, but the drone doesn't follow. A direct East-West through that "bored out" route would be much better for pedestrians and cyclists, because it'd be flat and direct and have no conflicts. Basically perfect. I fully expect most cyclists to use this "bored out" route regardless what happens. Expect complaints from hard-pressed motorists that there's "a perfectly good cycleway". I expect the few pedestrians will probably stick with the longer slower route.

It is to be "bored out" also Marno. It's the direct East-West routing towards Glounthaune.

This is the one that I keep harping on about being a good routing for pedestrians/cyclists. Under the furthest-left slip road, then parallel with the new slip that will be "bored out". The drone follows part-way up the new cycleway. Cycleway then continues West for a bit, but the drone doesn't follow. A direct East-West through that "bored out" route would be much better for pedestrians and cyclists, because it'd be flat and direct and have no conflicts. Basically perfect. I fully expect most cyclists to use this "bored out" route regardless what happens. Expect complaints from hard-pressed motorists that there's "a perfectly good cycleway". I expect the few pedestrians will probably stick with the longer slower route.

Is it just an illusion or does the new dedicated cycle track in Marno’s second clip seem to narrow a lot around the 2m26s mark?

cantalach wrote: »
    Is it just an illusion or does the new dedicated cycle track in Marno’s second clip seem to narrow a lot around the 2m26s mark?
    It does narrow. There will def be scope to widen it when the M8 is moved to the east.

It does narrow. There will def be scope to widen it when the M8 is moved to the east.
    How much will the M8 be moved easterly, it's going to be very close to the school.

Oh yeah, forgot that.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

How much will the M8 be moved easterly, it's going to be very close to the school.

https://www.dunkettle.ie/media/1336/traffic-movements_from-m8.jpg

Sorry, got distracted with CNN.

I was meaning that the new M8 will be so far to the east at this point that it'll effectively be a new M8 entirely, and they can just put in an underpass for this routing under the new alignment.

Sorry, got distracted with CNN.

I was meaning that the new M8 will be so far to the east at this point that it'll effectively be a new M8 entirely, and they can just put in an underpass for this routing under the new alignment.
    Christ, thats a handy bit of ground off the school, have they confirmed the purchase of the land.

• Advertisement

Christ, thats a handy bit of ground off the school, have they confirmed the purchase of the land.

The school didn’t own all the land in that corner formed by the existing M8 and the railway. They really only owned the paved area immediately to the west of the school building, and they’ve only lost a little shkelp off that.

Advertisement