Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Fabio wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the slip-road from the Glanmire Roundabout onto the M8 northbound will be open? No details in the latest Dunkettle email...

Based on previous posts on this thread it was due for COMPLETION by the end of September. It will open as part of the main contract works, so some time away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Based on previous posts on this thread it was due for COMPLETION by the end of September. It will open as part of the main contract works, so some time away yet.

I thought it was due to open in advance of main works and is to be utilised as part of traffic diversions during the build?

I thought it was due to open in advance of main works and is to be utilised as part of traffic diversions during the build?

This is the post I was referring to
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114557321&postcount=1135

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not for sure, I made that up thinking it would be logical.

As the M8 has to be moved slightly eastward to make the new interchange work, the join between the new sliproad and the current M8 will be poor at best for now. They say they'll need traffic management there. As a result, it won't open until the main contract has been signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Fabio

As the M8 has to be moved slightly eastward to make the new interchange work, the join between the new sliproad and the current M8 will be poor at best for now. They say they'll need traffic management there. As a result, it won't open until the main contract has been signed.

Ah ****e :(

• Advertisement

Could easily have traffic lights there at peak times to make it work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Project to come before Cabinet for approval next week. Contract award shortly after.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40056242.html

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

I wonder who will get the contract

Could easily have traffic lights there at peak times to make it work.

Trouble is if you have traffic lights a few hundred meters up the M8 it'll back up to the roundabout and clog up the entire interchange.

marno21 wrote: »
    Project to come before Cabinet for approval next week. Contract award shortly after.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40056242.html

Excellent. Hopefully before the budget and the inevitable cull of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

About time! Good to see it's Green proof, we must count ourselves lucky that Cork is getting at least one roads project done while we have Green-induced misery in Government.

Trouble is if you have traffic lights a few hundred meters up the M8 it'll back up to the roundabout and clog up the entire interchange.

The lights would be on the slip lane only. Not on the mainline. The slip lane would be green at the same time that the eastbound entry to the roundabout is also green.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This isn't going to be an austerity budget so there won't be any cull. Long fingering maybe, but not a cull. Most of the world is borrowing and spending its way through this (and the EU is practically encouraging it) and we won't be any different. The austerity budgets will be 3-4 years down the line if things don't pick up in the medium term.

steeler j wrote: »
    I wonder who will get the contract

What would be even more interesting is to establish the saving achieved by re-tendering vs the price SISK were quoting last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Hibernicis wrote: »
    What would be even more interesting is to establish the saving achieved by re-tendering vs the price SISK were quoting last year.

Yes it will be very interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cabinet-expected-to-approve-tender-for-Dunkettle-Interchange-project-tomorrow-bdc199f9-db6a-43dc-bc2f-d3148e6c3512-ds
    APPROVAL is expected to be granted tomorrow to allow the Dunkettle Interchange project go ahead.

The Cabinet is due to discuss the major project tomorrow and grant approval for the tender stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd be amazed if Sisk aren't preferred tenderer given they are already on site and should already know where to make money during the job. The big question is how much will the preferred tender sum be below the amount Sisk were looking for in the negotiated process?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Be ready also for an overinflated price in the press release tomorrow that includes all non construction costs as well similar to the N5 and N22 schemes which were overinflated by €120m and €90m respectively.

This is a recent habit of including costs outside of the construction cost of the contract they are about to award, and mainly serves to provide fodder for the opposition about spiralling costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Be ready also for an overinflated price in the press release tomorrow that includes all non construction costs as well similar to the N5 and N22 schemes which were overinflated by €120m and €90m respectively.

This is a recent habit of including costs outside of the construction cost of the contract they are about to award, and mainly serves to provide fodder for the opposition about spiralling costs.

To be fair, the public spending code (for €100M plus projects) requires government approval for all the project costs which includes an allowance for risk items and general contingency and it is the Vat inclusive figure that goes to Govt.. so it is the total amount approved by Cabinet which is generally reported by media. The contract award price exclusive of Vat is published on e-tenders.ie so it is available.

To be fair, the public spending code (for €100M plus projects) requires government approval for all the project costs which includes an allowance for risk items and general contingency and it is the Vat inclusive figure that goes to Govt.. so it is the total amount approved by Cabinet which is generally reported by media. The contract award price exclusive of Vat is published on e-tenders.ie so it is available.

The contracts are "fixed price" (not that that means much) so in theory there is no allowance for risk after tenders are received. The cabinet approve the preferred tender cost plus VAT, not that plus another wedge on top which would be eaten up if they did. The other project costs being referred to are design costs, land acquisition, enabling works, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Whatever the semantics of it are, it's great news if this finally does go ahead in spite of having the bonkers anti-car and anti-motorist Greens as part of the Government (I'm sure they'll find other ways to shaft the motorist tomorrow:rolleyes:).

Of course, the 2:1 ratio for PT vs roads spending is after the money for roads maintenance has been spent, and there's meant to be another billion in capital spending for transport next year compared to this year anyway, so fingers crossed we'll get some other roads projects off the ground during the lifetime of this Government:).

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The contracts are "fixed price" (not that that means much) so in theory there is no allowance for risk after tenders are received. The cabinet approve the preferred tender cost plus VAT, not that plus another wedge on top which would be eaten up if they did. The other project costs being referred to are design costs, land acquisition, enabling works, etc.

No it's definitely the total project costs that is approved by Cabinet not just the preferred tender cost plus Vat.

See section 6 - Final Business Case
    https://assets.gov.ie/43560/1ac8bb5e81304861afc5a6c6c10d733a.pdf

No it's definitely the total project costs that is approved by Cabinet not just the preferred tender cost plus Vat.

See section 6 - Final Business Case
    https://assets.gov.ie/43560/1ac8bb5e81304861afc5a6c6c10d733a.pdf

Yes but risk and contingency isn't going to see the price overinflated by €100m as referred to above. A project with such a risk profile would not get approved. I assume costs incurred prior to construction stage are being added in to make the investment sound bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Whatever the semantics of it are, it's great news if this finally does go ahead in spite of having the bonkers anti-car and anti-motorist Greens as part of the Government (I'm sure they'll find other ways to shaft the motorist tomorrow:rolleyes:).

Of course, the 2:1 ratio for PT vs roads spending is after the money for roads maintenance has been spent, and there's meant to be another billion in capital spending for transport next year compared to this year anyway, so fingers crossed we'll get some other roads projects off the ground during the lifetime of this Government:).

FIRSTLY:
    There's a lot of talk of "anti-car" and "anti-motorist" greens on this forum.
    I'm not a member of the green party and don't vote green, but the discussion really wears thin after a while. The greens haven't progressed anything of note in terms of sustainable transport and are progressing roads projects aplenty.

SECONDLY:
    It's not really "PT vs roads spending", since plenty PT uses roads. Take for instance the N28 to Carrigaline, that roads upgrade will actually be an enabler for PT on that route. What the NTA (and greens) want is more like "PT vs private motorist spending".

We're still throwing money at private motorist infrastructure projects and admonishing people for their resultant transport choice on the side. Don't let the sound bites about "anti-motorist" agendas or "downtrodden motorists" on the "drive time radio" mislead you otherwise.

After all that.. awarded to Sisk.

https://twitter.com/eoinbearla/status/1315976651323387906

3 year construction timeframe would indicate a start of heavy works in Q1 2021 or so. Shouldn’t take long given that they already on site.

After all that.. awarded to Sisk.

https://twitter.com/eoinbearla/status/1315976651323387906

3 year construction timeframe would indicate a start of heavy works in Q1 2021 or so. Shouldn’t take long given that they already on site.

This makes sense to me: a lot of work is complete.
    I've been watching all of the preparation work they were doing and thinking "they better get moving with the next phase or they're going to end up re-doing stuff.
    The new Little Island interchange ground works are fairly advanced, for instance.

Looking forward to this being done.
    But I'll reserve the right to moan about the pedestrian/cycle infrastructure until the new Glashaboy river crossing is in place. Which I'm optimistically thinking will be in 2035 or so.

A year wasted for what? Nothing it seems!

• Advertisement

A year wasted for what? Nothing it seems!

Is a year definitely wasted?
    I thought that the preparatory works continuing on the way they did might go some way towards reducing the impact?

Advertisement