Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Letters to Contractors may have already gone out...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Nice little article in the Echo about the Dunkettle project, although it doesn't add much about timelines beyond the email DerMutt shared yesterday. The picture in the article (rather small) shows how much land has been cleared around the roundabout. If any kind person were willing to share some pictures of the site from closer up it would be greatly appreciated... :angel:

Separately, in the picture it looks like the old Glounthaune road which is due to be reopened after the works is entirely blocked off by the M8. I had assumed that there was a tunnel underneath the motorway but I guess I was wrong. 

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Site-works-completed-for-Dunkettle-upgrade-5d2768d8-320b-4ca4-a422-e88f7d9d0421-ds

Edit: After looking more closely on Google Maps it's pretty obvious that the old road is entirely blocked off by the M8's earthworks. Lots of tidying up to be done down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

There people on the Echo Facebook page moaning firstly and the price and secondly about the future roadworks. Echo Facebook page is moan central. New jobs get announced and people still moan.

Taking a look on Google Maps it’s interesting to see that part of the old road entering Little Island West still exists in no mans land. There’s an inhabited house beside this old bit of road which I presume has been CPO’ed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I don't fully understand what you guys are talking about regarding the old road and the west entrance to Little Island, but here goes...

The old road mentioned by Aontachtoir is going to be joined up by roundabout (park and ride?) to the east of the M8, and partially a cycle path to the west of the M8.

I don't think any existing houses are affected or CPO'd: at least none that I can make out.

Here's a drawing set on Cor Co. Co. website which may help everyone to be on the same train of thought:
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2018-01/32107200-CYC-P8-003%20Rev1%20A1.pdf
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2018-01/32107200-CYC-P8-002%20Rev1%20A1.pdf

I don't fully understand what you guys are talking about regarding the old road and the west entrance to Little Island, but here goes...

The old road mentioned by Aontachtoir is going to be joined up by roundabout (park and ride?) to the east of the M8, and partially a cycle path to the west of the M8.

I don't think any existing houses are affected or CPO'd: at least none that I can make out.

Here's a drawing set on Cor Co. Co. website which may help everyone to be on the same train of thought:
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2018-01/32107200-CYC-P8-003%20Rev1%20A1.pdf
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2018-01/32107200-CYC-P8-002%20Rev1%20A1.pdf

I think you’re right re CPO. M8 to N25 slip is getting quite near a house though.

The old N25 used to go under where the M8 is now. However, there is no present tunnel under the M8. A tunnel will have to be created for it.

• Advertisement

The old N25 used to go under where the M8 is now. However, there is no present tunnel under the M8. A tunnel will have to be created for it.

What tunnel? The N40-N25 East slip, south of the rail line is it?
    Maybe just a bridge on the southbound M8 straight-through lane(s).

Cycles / pedestrians planned to share with traffic under the bridge of the M8 / L2999, north of the rail line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yes the old N25 did go under where the M8 is now. This is old-old N25, before the East Cork Parkway (Dunkettle Roundabout to Cobh) was built. You used to drive through Glounthaune. You can still see some of the old-old N25 from the train.

https://goo.gl/maps/WUYxsiwk7gn

Follow the line of it to the west to where it joins up at Dunkettle House. By the way, there are no tunnels, the other roads were built over it. Must go for a walk along it someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

this might help to show the old road, taken from the Midleton train this morning.

Thanks deRanged.
    I know hindsight is 20:20 but what a shame they didn't think to put in a wider train tunnel in the first build, and provide an East-West cycle/pedestrian route.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Should find out in the next few weeks who will be responsible for letting us watch this daily event come to an end

453629.jpg

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Should find out in the next few weeks who will be responsible for letting us watch this daily event come to an end
    Not looking forward to my evening commute back to Douglas over the next few years while the new intersection is being built...!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Not looking forward to my evening commute back to Douglas over the next few years while the new intersection is being built...!

Just imagine how bad it will get if it isn't built. Not to mention how if the city grinds to a halt the much wanted investment won't come. No pain no gain and there will be a lot of gain from doing this upgrade.

Agreed - the Dunkettle upgrade has to happen and it will be well worth it when it is. That said, looking again at Marno's picture I realised that my commute will not only take me through the Dunkettle works traffic, it will also send me straight into the future M28 works traffic too...
     453730.jpg
    I guess you're right though. No pain, no gain! 8-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Agreed - the Dunkettle upgrade has to happen and it will be well worth it when it is. That said, looking again at Marno's picture I realised that my commute will not only take me through the Dunkettle works traffic, it will also send me straight into the future M28 works traffic too...
     453730.jpg
    I believe the reason Dunkettle will take 3 years is because there will be a focus on retaining the current running lanes at peak times to avoid gridlock.

In the same way the tunnel closes now and then I can see most work requiring lane closures and/or full road closures taking place between 10pm and 6am.

There's simply no way you could bring the tunnel down to one lane at 4-7pm in the evening. We had that in 2015 and it didn't work out very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭pigtown

453730.jpg

Wait what changes will occur along the N40 due to the M28 works?

Sisk have been awarded the contract by TII to construct the Dunkettle Interchange Improvement Scheme.

Let the fun begin!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/builder-sisk-reports-profit-jump-of-73-to-24-7m-for-2017-1.3544316

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1014494819673169922

Sisk have been awarded the contract by TII to construct the Dunkettle Interchange Improvement Scheme.

Let the fun begin!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/builder-sisk-reports-profit-jump-of-73-to-24-7m-for-2017-1.3544316

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1014494819673169922

I have never seen a thread so quiet after good news!

Dunkettle Interchange awarded to Sisk. Early works to begin in Q4, full start in Q1 2019. Traffic management and other planning works ongoing until then

I have never seen a thread so quiet after good news!

Dunkettle Interchange awarded to Sisk. Early works to begin in Q4, full start in Q1 2019. Traffic management and other planning works ongoing until then

What’s the timescale like on it? 3 years with phased openings?

Traffic management will be a nightmare just like M50 junction upgrades.

What’s the timescale like on it? 3 years with phased openings?

Traffic management will be a nightmare just like M50 junction upgrades.

3+ years likely. It'll be similar to the M50 alright I'd say but it'll be very difficult given the tight area, railway line, gradient requirements etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Between this and the M28 finally being approved it's been an excellent week for Cork. It's not going to be fun stuck in the inevitable traffic when the work is ongoing but it will all be worth it! Finally our city is moving forward!

• Advertisement

Interesting article in the Echo today. In response to questions about the possibility of tolling the Dunkettle interchange after its completion, the County Hall roads director indicated that tolling was not being considered for that stretch of road. He separately added:

"TII have asked us to get a motorway reclassification study done in relation to the N40 South Ring Road and what things would need to be done there if it was reclassified. There is also an intelligent transport system being installed both in Dunkettle and on the entire length on the N40 and the various roads coming into the N40 such as the Airport Road and the N71."

Not so sure what exactly an "intelligent transport system" means to daily road users, but this is the first confirmation I have seen in the media (ie not on this forum or the TII website) that plans are underway to reclassify the N40. Can't happen soon enough.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/No-toll-plan-for-Dunkettle-bypass-a572d241-0586-4c02-b93e-2274fece016f-ds

Interesting article in the Echo today. In response to questions about the possibility of tolling the Dunkettle interchange after its completion, the County Hall roads director indicated that tolling was not being considered for that stretch of road. He separately added:

"TII have asked us to get a motorway reclassification study done in relation to the N40 South Ring Road and what things would need to be done there if it was reclassified. There is also an intelligent transport system being installed both in Dunkettle and on the entire length on the N40 and the various roads coming into the N40 such as the Airport Road and the N71."

Not so sure what exactly an "intelligent transport system" means to daily road users, but this is the first confirmation I have seen in the media (ie not on this forum or the TII website) that plans are underway to reclassify the N40. Can't happen soon enough.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/No-toll-plan-for-Dunkettle-bypass-a572d241-0586-4c02-b93e-2274fece016f-ds

I believe this is referring to new sets of gantries relaying real time traffic information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057826801

I've created a thread here for discussion of the M40 reclassification, and indeed the ITS and diversion upgrades. For all non Dunkettle chat, that thread would be best.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/free-app-to-alert-drivers-to-traffic-issues-at-corks-dunkettle-interchange-859171.html

TII to publish app to provide drivers with real time information on delays/diversions at the Dunkettle Interchange for the upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/free-app-to-alert-drivers-to-traffic-issues-at-corks-dunkettle-interchange-859171.html

TII to publish app to provide drivers with real time information on delays/diversions at the Dunkettle Interchange for the upgrade

Cant wait for the delays causes by drivers crashing while using their phone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I'm dreading the backup of traffic here when the works begin and are ongoing, but I wouldn't have it any other way, the place is a bloody nightmare. Realistically speaking this should have been incorporated into the works during construction of the tunnel, hindsight is a great thing however.

I'm dreading the backup of traffic here when the works begin and are ongoing, but I wouldn't have it any other way, the place is a bloody nightmare. Realistically speaking this should have been incorporated into the works during construction of the tunnel, hindsight is a great thing however.

Before the tunnel it used to be an at grade Roundabout.

The flyover was the solution when the tunnel opened. Lack of foresight in this country is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Before the tunnel it used to be an at grade Roundabout.

The flyover was the solution when the tunnel opened. Lack of foresight in this country is awful.
    I vaguely remember it pre tunnel, going to Youghal Via Glounthaune,Carrigtwohill,Midleton wasn't fun, especially on a bus.

Definitely lack of foresight.

The Tunnel opened in 1999, went through it 2 months later for the first time, sure we though it was great until the maintenance issues began.

• Advertisement

It was truly awful before they signalised it circa 2005.

Advertisement